Texas Hunting Forum

hunting a day lease

Posted By: Prandtl

hunting a day lease - 12/19/14 02:34 PM

So I don't have a lease (wish i could) and hesitate to step foot on public land (safety concern), so I take my son hunting on a few day leases every season. got one tomorrow in Montgomery county. Haven't had any success yet. Yall got any recommendations or tips on hunting day leases (other than maybe don't go to one)?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/19/14 03:08 PM

Yes, hunt the areas with deer sign, tracks/scat/rubs/scrapes around water or brushy cover. A lot of those leases see quite a bit of traffic so those deer are very likely to be inclined to hang close to cover. Also, hand corn areas with that cover. Finally, stay optimistic and go a lot of looking and glassing of the areas.
Posted By: Western

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/19/14 04:26 PM

Stay out all mid morning to afternoon, they see most hunters an hr after sun rise and 1 hr before sunset.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/19/14 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Stay out all mid morning to afternoon, they see most hunters an hr after sun rise and 1 hr before sunset.

Nailed it!
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/29/14 09:26 PM

Book your hunt on opening weekend!
Posted By: Earl

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/29/14 09:37 PM

That too. For a number of years day leases were how my Dad and I hunted - one particular lease around Victoria that is no longer open. Opening weekend was like a war zone with most deer taken that weekend. Back then in Victoria County if it had horns you could shoot it.

Northern Oklahoma up around the Kansas line can bee good for day hunts because their rifle season only runs around the week of Thanksgiving and the deer don't have a lot of time to pattern the hunters.

Here in Texas it's mostly luck this late in the season if the place has had much hunting activity.

Originally Posted By: hurricane 201
Posted By: fsevin

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/30/14 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Western

Nailed it!

I agree with above....
Posted By: DH 1

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/30/14 05:16 AM

If the Lessee shows you a movie, before you are allowed to hunt consider getting in your truck and heading home immediately.. bs
Posted By: Lil Joe

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/31/14 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Prandtl
So I don't have a lease (wish i could) and hesitate to step foot on public land (safety concern), so I take my son hunting on a few day leases every season. got one tomorrow in Montgomery county. Haven't had any success yet. Yall got any recommendations or tips on hunting day leases (other than maybe don't go to one)?

There are day leases in Montgomery county?
Posted By: don k

Re: hunting a day lease - 12/31/14 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: hurricane 201
BINGO
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum