Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas

Posted By: JDMore

Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 04:18 PM

Morning fellas,

Been hunting mainly around Comanche and now spending more time in East Texas. My primary rifle is a Mauser 7mm Mag, but thinking since Im deep in the woods now I should pick-up a 30/30.

Any recommendations/suggestions or is the 7mm Mag gonna get the job done?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 04:20 PM

If the 7mm can't get the job done. The world might end.

Contrary to popular belief East Texas has the ability for some very long shots.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 04:26 PM

7mm should be fine, but hey if you want a lever gun I say jump on it.
Posted By: JRJ6

your current rifle is just fine. if you want to add, get the 30/30

I know it can get the job done, just wasnt sure, with the heavy cover. I am fairly new to hunting and hunting at the lease in Comanche the likelyhood of taking a shot into cover is very minimal as most everything is wide open at our blind. At our new place in East Texas, its all thick woods/cover. Was told the 7mm would have a higher probability of the bullet deflecting off a branch etc. (Hope I am making sense)
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 04:45 PM

All buckets are going to deflect when they hit something other than the animal

You may want a handier rifle like a model 7 in 7mm-08.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

yep, and you are actually just increasing the odds (however small) of hitting something other than the animal by using a larger caliber bullet, or bucket.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

This^

In thick cover you want a short fast handling rifle. A short bolt action or lever action in a good medium to large game caliber will suite you well.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 05:23 PM

All bullets will deflect.

You rifle will work fine.

Every Texan should own at least one lever action.

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 08:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys..... learning to adjust to hunting the new area. I will see about picking up a 30/30 after the season.
Posted By: DH 1

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 09:03 PM

If you want a lever gun with less chance of deflection, you might think about a Marlin 45-70. Handy in the woods and will bang-flop any deer you will ever see. rifle

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 09:11 PM

So if we are talking 100 yards and under, which is what I am looking at (majority of the time I imagine we would be looking at 50-60 yards at most), would I be better off with a 30/30, .243, .270?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 09:40 PM

Any of the above will work.

I'm not a .243 fan but the others will work fine

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 09:51 PM

Thank you sir!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 09:52 PM

You over thinking this to much. Just use what you have and it will work fine. Turn the scope to the lowest power if you are walking or stalking. Go to a heavier bullet if you think you need it.

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
You over thinking this to much. Just use what you have and it will work fine. Turn the scope to the lowest power if you are walking or stalking. Go to a heavier bullet if you think you need it.

Overthinker I am..... lol
Posted By: dennyo

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 10:59 PM

35 Whelen is where it's at . Awesome round . I bought one a couple years ago and have now killed several deer with it in very thick cover as well as up to 300 yards . Never thought I would get away from my trusty old 270 but I find myself grabbing this gun more and more on my way out .
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 11:05 PM

Agree with those that say 'Use what you've got'.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 11:11 PM

This
Posted By: 01Z-71

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/18/14 11:29 PM

I hunt in far east Texas, thickets, short runs, deep draws, 200 yrd shots are out there. i have been using a Savage .270Win., w/Simmons Pro50 on it. short shots, long shots, doesn't matter, just pick the right shells. I use Federal Premium Vital Shock 150 grain Nosler Partition. These shells are not cheap, around 45 dollars a box of 20. Drops deer, hogs, coyote, bobcats. I normally take bucks that are above average in weight. I used to use Remington core locs, had too many big bodied deer run off, even with a good hit. I think you have to match up your cal.-shells/grain-size of animal your after. You dont have to use a magnum shell for magnum deer/hogs. .308/.270/30-06/30-30, have probably taken more deer than any magnum has. Just my opinion, be safe, happy hunting. food
Posted By: pprince

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 01:08 AM

308 is always something to consider if you want a larger diameter bullet.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 03:18 AM

I can assure you, a 300wm or 7mag still works at point blank range. There's no good reason whatsoever to downgrade.

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
I can assure you, a 300wm or 7mag still works at point blank range. There's no good reason whatsoever to downgrade.

Thanks

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 03:06 PM

Well the good news is I am getting a Winchester 94 30-30 this weekend. Grandfather has 3, giving me one for Christmas. Wont be putting the 7mm Mag down tho after all the advice Ive gotten here. Thanks
Posted By: Steven Bates

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 03:18 PM

I hunt South Arkansas which is probably pretty similar to East Texas for the most part. I choose a 30/06 as my deer rifle because I think it's the best of both worlds. My buddy shoots a 7 mag and has no problems even though I think it's a little bit of overkill. Dad shoots a .270 and a 30/30. My point, any of these guns will be just fine.

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 05:15 PM

I'm hunting deep east texas and this year I've toted to the stand: 270wsm, 300wm, 300RUM, 300 Tejas & 257Roy.

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
I'm hunting deep east texas and this year I've toted to the stand: .17,270wsm, 300wm, 300RUM, 300 Tejas & 257Roy.

FIFY up

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 08:31 PM

I've yet to hunt with a .17...

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 08:33 PM

bs

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/19/14 08:45 PM

There's a slight difference in hunting and driving around and shootin' stuff with no intention of making recoveries.
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/21/14 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimmie Moreland
So if we are talking 100 yards and under, which is what I am looking at (majority of the time I imagine we would be looking at 50-60 yards at most), would I be better off with a 30/30, .243, .270?

All the calibers that you've posted will get the job done. If it was me, I would go with the 30/30 because the ammo for the 30/30 cost less.
Posted By: DH 1

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/22/14 01:29 PM

Scuse my ignorance...What exactly is a 257 Roy??? confused2

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/22/14 03:12 PM

Weatherby
Posted By: fsevin

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/30/14 04:31 AM

Sounds like the new territory created an excuse for an additional rifle. Congrats! Any excuse is a good one.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/30/14 04:52 AM

I grew up hunting East Texas (Newton County). I used a 30.06, but the caliber of choice for the serious hunters was a .22 with a spotlight. I remember lots and lots of guys making eye shots...
Posted By: 22hemi13

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/30/14 04:07 PM

Ahhh 45-70. I seem to remember a cottontail being killed buy that gun Flying fur and blood

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/30/14 10:38 PM

I think I'll use the 30/30 in the Piney Woods and the 7mag elsewhere. Just easier under the conditions im hunting down there.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/31/14 01:51 AM

Use what you have and buy something else. Or buy something else and use it. Either way, buy something else. Keeping what you have, of course. More = more, which is better. Some say mo betta and I agree.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Rifle Suggestion / Hunting East Texas - 12/31/14 01:28 PM

X2

I grew up hunting E Texas Pineywoods and although I started with a 30-30 I quickly moved to a 7Mag and 300Mag. The main thing to me is your scope....you really don't need much magnification when your shots are mostly gonna be short of 100yds.

And if you can't clearly see the deer, clear view with no obstructions, limbs etc, then you shouldn't take the shot. If the bullet is deflected by a limb then you will either miss the deer or you will wound it...both bad results.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum