Texas Hunting Forum

Short feeders question?

Posted By: spoon33

Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 05:03 AM

Does anyone own a feeder they can fill without using a ladder/4 wheeler and have any problems with it? I found a feeder for sale, but it's only 6-7ft tall at the top and I was curios if that would be a problem. It's an automatic spinner with a varmit guard on it.

The reason I am interested in this is bc I don't have a 4wheeler to stand on. I can drive my truck about 50 yards from the feeder, but have to carry the corn in from there. I guess I can buy a step ladder, but was just trying to avoid that.

So any issues with a short feeder? Or should I just buy a taller one and step ladder?
Posted By: thewrap

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 05:22 AM

Or you could buy/build a feeder with a ladder on it. I prefer a taller feeder just to keep stuff from eating off the plate or banging the feed mechanism. Too many time I've had something damage and break mechanisms by banging them.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 05:36 AM

You can buy these capsule feeders they start at about $600. http://www.westexhuntingsupply.com/capsule_game_feeder.htm
Posted By: BowInHand_71

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 06:58 AM

I've got two of the short moultries. I got both on sale for less than $100. I love them and have had great luck with both of them. They have been goin strong for two years now and filling them is very easy. Also I have found a 6v rechargable battery lasts forever them.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 11:54 AM

I use a wild game innovations feeder. I just used 2 out of the 4 leg sections when I put it together. Top of the barrel is 6ft from the ground. I can fill it standing flat footed.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 01:14 PM

I have two capsules and they are the best. Never fail to feed and never clog. And best of all I don't have to climb an unsafe ladder with 50 lb.s on my shoulder. I also have a stand and fill that ramball36 made for me like the all seasons stand and fill. There is no reason to elevate the feeder with a good varmit cage around the spinner box. I will NEVER own a tall feeder again, unless it's a hang em high, but its still more of a pain to crank up those full barrels and dangerous if the cable or crank fails while you under it.
Posted By: Dadeo

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 03:35 PM

I have been looking at the all season stand and fill feeder at the feed store myself.

I have a homemade crank up feeder that works great just what if the cable breaks.

I am usually out there by my self when I refill, so besides the lost of the spinner and the barrell might get me.

The All Seson stand and fill are $500.00 but do have a strong looking varmit cage built around the motor / spinner asssembly.

Looks like with a 12 volt motor it would throw better than my old 6 volt too.

look them up on line.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 03:44 PM

If you have cattle on the place get it high enough so they don't damage the spinner, deer horns also, or fence it in. Use PVC 4" on legs for varmint protection.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 04:20 PM

This will be my next feeder. I'm getting to old to climb ladders.

Judge Feeders
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 04:33 PM

The feeder your talking about it isn't the Moultrie one is it?

Why not get a hand crank and hang it from a tree?

I use a short one and have no problem with it other than the deer use it when they want

Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I have two capsules and they are the best. Never fail to feed and never clog. And best of all I don't have to climb an unsafe ladder with 50 lb.s on my shoulder. I also have a stand and fill that ramball36 made for me like the all seasons stand and fill. There is no reason to elevate the feeder with a good varmit cage around the spinner box. I will NEVER own a tall feeder again, unless it's a hang em high, but its still more of a pain to crank up those full barrels and dangerous if the cable or crank fails while you under it.

I am slowly and surley lowering all my feeders to be able to fill from the ground or out of the back of the Ranger. A great Varmit cage and there is NO reason to have a feeder that tall, imo
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 07:06 PM

Check with Brother East in Mineola...

rick

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Barcelona Rick

rick

I wont Lie Brother Rick...
Alot of my reasoning is due to my Increadible Ability to Fall stepping over a Lady Bug rofl
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 08:10 PM

I have old timers by West Texas feeder supply. They where a little to short(control box is a pain to get to)and didn't like the cages so been slowly rebuilding them. 5'10 to the top.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
This will be my next feeder. I'm getting to old to climb ladders.

Judge Feeders

All season version is a lot less $$
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 08:43 PM

I buy standard height feeder and cut legs to height I need.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/17/14 09:50 PM

I like these from west texas game feeders in San Angelo. Built like a tank and very easy to fill. I have pigs and cows with no issues and no feed pens.

Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: Barcelona Rick

rick

I wont Lie Brother Rick...
Alot of my reasoning is due to my Increadible Ability to Fall stepping over a Lady Bug rofl

partyon555

rick

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
I like these from west texas game feeders in San Angelo. Built like a tank and very easy to fill. I have pigs and cows with no issues and no feed pens.

Like that up

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 04:00 AM

Posted By: buck-snort

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 04:06 AM

I have a lamco. Best feeder I own

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 04:09 AM

Man that would be much easier...I like that one up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

X3
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

X3

Nice, but do you have to lay on your belly to get to the timer?
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/18/14 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

X3

Nice, but do you have to lay on your belly to get to the timer?

Nope its inside top of lid. Ill get a pic tomorrow of the inside.
Posted By: DesertDog

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/19/14 02:21 AM

I'm a big fan of the All Seasons Stand and Fill. I have the 600# and cows or pigs are no problem with it.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/19/14 02:41 AM

I probably will never go back to a feeder where you have to winch it up or climb a ladder. I have two that I can fill from the ground, and no problems at all.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Short feeders question? - 12/19/14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DesertDog
I'm a big fan of the All Seasons Stand and Fill. I have the 600# and cows or pigs are no problem with it.

X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum