Texas Hunting Forum

Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama!

Posted By: Skeeterpop

Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/15/14 01:51 PM

Leaving out in the morning from Alabama to South Texas in the Carrizo Springs area. Anyone in this area have a forecast of the hunting for the next 4-5 days? I know its been hot and sounds like the rut is close and could break wide open at any time. We travel down to this area every year and always have a great time and usually take home a nice buck or two. Would anyone suggest rattling? What times of the morning or evening would you rattle? How often?

Hoping for some cooler weather and it looks like the temps will get to the low 40's which is pretty much normal for when we come out. Looking forward to a great trip and hopefully some 140"+ bucks.
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/16/14 02:30 PM

I hunted this past weekend in Carrizo, bucks were fighting! Rut has started, shot a wide 9 I will post soon. Good luck! I would sit quietly, get there early and stay late.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/16/14 02:38 PM

I would definitely try rattling. I don't think it can hurt. Rattling success really depends on the buck:doe ratio. If it's optimal and they are in pre-rut or early rut and haven't locked down, it's an excellent option. Good luck.

Oh and welcome
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/16/14 03:31 PM

welcome Weather is not good right now. Chance of rain starting tomorrow and mild temps at best.

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/18/14 12:57 PM

We arrived early yesterday so took in a bonus afternoon of hunting. There are 4 of us on approx 800 acres of low fence. However 2.5 sides are high fenced from neighboring properties.

No guns fired first afternoon. It was cool misty drizzel all afternoon. We saw 6 8pts, 4 10 pts and several smaller bucks and spikes. Lots of does as well. A couple bucks were running but from the looks the rut has not started good yet. Nothing looked to be a good mature shooter the first afternoon but this am has potential to find some bucks out roaming. Not sure the 500 lbs of corn we put out in our senderos will be enough but the shed is full of the golden magic. Will try to get some pics up today of views. Hopefully a few trophies too.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/18/14 03:31 PM

popcorn
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/18/14 03:43 PM

Good Luck to you

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/19/14 04:05 PM

2 spikes, 8pt and 11pt down this am. Will try to get pics up soon. Bucks are on the prowl. Everywhere chasing. I let a 130" 3yr old 8pt walk and a nice 10 this am. Still in the blind. The 11pt was just shot 10 min ago so they are still moving.

Here is the 8pt.

Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/19/14 04:20 PM

That's awesome.

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/19/14 06:05 PM

Posted By: bow-man

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/19/14 06:31 PM

up

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/19/14 10:17 PM

We are having a blast. Looking for more hogs and two of us still waiting on ole big boy to walk out.
Posted By: Robfx4

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/19/14 10:59 PM

Nice bucks!!

Re: Carrizo Spring bound from Alabama! - 12/20/14 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Robfx4
Nice bucks!!

Thanks. We are enjoying the trip
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum