Texas Hunting Forum

Rut is still on at my place

Posted By: 603Country

Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 01:05 AM

I had thought that the rut was over, but I checked a few scrapes this morning and a few were recently pawed clean. Very fresh.

Did see a nice buck chasing a small 'something' this afternoon. It was at high speed, but I got the binocs up. The buck was hot on the heels of a coyote, and i don't think love was in the air.

I love being retired. This is just so da__ good. If i just had more pigs to shoot...
Posted By: passthru

Re: Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 01:08 AM

Nice place to be at for sure.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 01:09 AM

603,where about in central tx do you hunt?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 01:14 AM

Limestone county, south of Groesbeck. We live here now.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 01:37 AM

Ok, some good hunting there
Posted By: KCH

Re: Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 02:36 PM

Yes it is still on...saw a big boy runnin' a doe hard just up the road in Navarro County...never could get him to stop for a shot... frown

603 have you ever posted your buck picture?
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 10:48 PM

Lucky you I saw a nice one chasing about a week ago in Hood Co and over the years I have noticed either a week or two later rut than my places 10 miles away or its a bigger 2nd rut which would explain having a younger dawn crop than other places around me most of my fawns still have spots later than my other places. Unfortunate I've already got my Hood Co buck and my other spots Erath and Palo Pinto have gone silent since the rut ended. Usually I hate the rut because the deer leave and look forward to the post rut when they come back hungry and tired but this year the acorn crop is killing us I have corn growing under the feeder I'm sitting at right now.
Posted By: rytheguy84

Re: Rut is still on at my place - 12/08/14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: gunnut81
Lucky you I saw a nice one chasing about a week ago in Hood Co and over the years I have noticed either a week or two later rut than my places 10 miles away or its a bigger 2nd rut which would explain having a younger dawn crop than other places around me most of my fawns still have spots later than my other places. Unfortunate I've already got my Hood Co buck and my other spots Erath and Palo Pinto have gone silent since the rut ended. Usually I hate the rut because the deer leave and look forward to the post rut when they come back hungry and tired but this year the acorn crop is killing us I have corn growing under the feeder I'm sitting at right now.
looks like your corn crop will be a good one hehe wink
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum