Texas Hunting Forum

Apples???

Posted By: BigPig

Apples??? - 12/06/14 04:04 AM

Corn isn't working... thinking of baiting with apples for the next few weekend hunts. Hunting Marshall, Tx, deer aren't coming to feeders and I'm getting desperate
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 04:26 AM

We used to have a friend that collected the out of date fruit and dumped it in the pasture near his blind. It worked, he baited the road to his blind like some corn the road.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 04:57 AM

Apples and peanutbutter!
Posted By: enock

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 02:13 PM

I threw some rotten apples out last week and the hogs got to them before the deer...
Posted By: Western

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 02:17 PM

Forget Apples, get all the pears you can find, crush a few and hang them in some brush and put the rest in your chum pile!! Plus, pears are more common in Texas around old farmsteads and what not, you never know where you will find an old tree. Deer like them big time.
Posted By: jlsbassman

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 05:18 PM

I used to hunt an old apple orchard in Kentucky when I lived there, those deer love them rotten apples.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 05:32 PM

Apple scented corn...
Posted By: bdotson

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 09:07 PM

I have a whitetail doe deer in a pen. I feed her apples. When she eats a apple its her last choice. Wont eat apples if there is anything else to eat. Eats corn good but nothing comes close to grapes. This is just my experience with this one deer but she loves grapes. Peanuts would be her second choice but not close to grapes.. Tried peanut butter would not touch it, I smeared some on her nose she pawed it off. Hates it I put a drop on her grapes, she left them to rot. She will NOT eat peanut butter at all?? Hope this helps.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Apples??? - 12/06/14 09:31 PM

A couple of years ago I had a big buck trained to pears. Id ddrive down the hill to my first pasture and he would be hanging out in the trees about 80 yards away while I cut up and threw out the pears.

Try hand corning areas instead of feeders. We aren't having any luck at the feeders but have started handcorning beside some trails and they are tearing it up. Bucks that wont even look at the feeder are stopping to eat. You can also try putting out rice bran. They like that stuff!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum