Texas Hunting Forum

Long periods of time in the blind

Posted By: SWtexashunter

Long periods of time in the blind - 12/04/14 11:02 PM

I plan to stay in the blind for around 6 hours next week. Is it better to be in a shooting blind (60-70 yards away) or the bow blind (20 yards away)? What food do you guys bring when yall are in the blind for a while? What do you guys think?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/04/14 11:49 PM

Which is more comfortable? Which sees more country, and which weapon are you most likely to use?

Depending on the deer I am hunting (trophy, cull, doe) I am most likely carrying the most capable weapon that is legal under the current season. If I go out today, 12/4/2014, I'm carrying a center-fire rifle with a significant scope on it. I am probably going to hunt one of my stands that is known to see either a lot of deer or a lot of country as I have my trophy but am now doing several other things. I'm on doe/spike patrol, coyote patrol, and scouting for possible 2015 shooters or 2014 shooters for family members that haven't gotten a trophy yet.

As for food, most of the time I take fruit such as apples or oranges, and maybe some dried sausage, jerky, or KIND bars. I try not to take anything wrapped that will make noise so I may unwrap the KIND bars and put them in a paper towel in my shirt pocket. I'll also take a bottle of water but you'll need to be careful about liquid intake if you plan to spend 6 straight hours in a blind.
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/04/14 11:50 PM

I take a big bottle of water and another big empty bottle to pee in and just a couple packs of those peanut butter and crackers if I'm gonna be out that long, I prefer not to eat in the blind if I can avoid it so an urge doesn't hit me that I can't just put in an empty bottle if you know what I mean.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/04/14 11:58 PM

I don't have a problem with sitting a few hours, taking a walk a couple hundred yards and answering natures call then returning to stand. Often the walk helps me loosen stiff joints and gives me a renewed ability to sit longer.
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 12:41 AM

Sittin for 6 hours I'm sure you will not look before every movement! Last week I sat in my ground blind moved my knee to stretch it out and I had a deer 15 yards off to my right! She never saw me but heard my movement and detoured off her beaten path and I saw her cross about 80 yards down the sendero! Bow Blinds are hard to sit in very long at 20 yards ! My 2 cents ! I take rappers off my Gatorade and put my crackers in tin foil! When bow hunting! Then use empty bottles to tee tee lol! Just don't buy lime Gatorade and u should be ok!
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 01:03 AM

I sat 8 hours on Tuesday. Took a bag of trail mix and 3 dr. Peppers. Wish I had taken some beef jerky or something. I got HUNGRY.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 02:50 AM

Do you guys bring a book or are you guys on your phones?
Posted By: kpg4923

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 03:37 AM

I love sitting in the blind for long periods of time. In fact that is probably my favorite part of deer season. I am guilty of passing on shots because I didn't want to break the tranquility of the blind.

I can get internet access, albeit weak access, so I often hang out on a forum. I bring cereal to eat, usually Honey Nut Cheerios. In the morning I take a Dr Pepper but in the evening it is usually a water or maybe a stiff drink(I know. Bad idea). I occasionally bring two stiff drinks and leave my gun at camp. I fresh can of Skoal is usually present, but I nice bag of sunflower seeds is good too.

Enjoy the silence my friend.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 03:41 AM

A pocket AM/fFM radio and ear buds helps pass the time, especially on weekends when you can catch a good football game. Talk radio makes for good listening during the week. And with it being so quiet, you can turn the volume down so low that you can still listen over the radio volume for the sounds of approaching game animals.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
A pocket AM/fFM radio and ear buds helps pass the time, especially on weekends when you can catch a good football game. Talk radio makes for good listening during the week. And with it being so quiet, you can turn the volume down so low that you can still listen over the radio volume for the sounds of approaching game animals.

That's a good idea.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 05:38 AM

I have a small soft sided cooler that I pack a couple of cold drinks and a bottle of water. Little Debbies and maybe some sandwiches. I unwrap snacks and put them in a tupperware container to keep them from getting crushed in my bag. Thinking about a bag of pistachio nuts for my next trip.

To pass the time I take an iPad Mini and a Walkman. Podcasts, the radio, books on the Kindle app, etc. I can hotspot the phone for web access if I want to do that. Hunting doesn't have to be hard core. we have some 4x4 stands and some 4x6 stands. For longer hunts I try to hunt the larger stands because I can turn sideways and stretch my legs a bit. In the smaller stands I have to stand up occasionally.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 06:13 AM

For hunts over 3 hours I will be in an elevated box blind during rifle season. Sometimes I will skip the dawn hunt depending on weather, rut, etc...and get to the blind at 11 and stay till dark. Food usually is a couple of packs of crackers, trail mix, jerky, 2 boiled eggs and a protein bar. At least 2 waters and 2 gatorades. In the pack are binocs, first aid kit, cell phone, headphones, extra jacket and skull cap, gloves. Flashlight and extra batteries. Spare ammo. TP is a must! Knives, license, etc... Sidearm for hogs. Meds for me, just in case. I may tend to overpack, but feel better knowing I have the right gear. Oh and rain jacket and emergency blanket. .
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 06:19 AM

Some awesome 1-2 minute naps can be had in the blind as well!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 06:25 AM

I have spent long hours in a tree stand and ground blinds, but I was always bow hunting. I rarely have sat over 4 hours in a rifle blind. Always keep water with me, sometimes jerky, copenhagen, and some protein bars. I pretty much always have my phone with me and sometimes will take a book with me.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 12:58 PM

I will be on the forums most likely to keep ya'll posted on what's going on
Posted By: RafterH

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 01:46 PM

I usually spend at least a few days each season in by brush blind from dark to dark. All the above are good ideas. And yes, those 1 or 2 minute naps are good. I am planning on an all day sit tomorrow.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 02:56 PM

You need to take a Matt Helm book, by Donald Hamilton. You can't go wrong. Oh, and make sure you're phone is charged so that you can surf the WWW. I also make sure I have some Marlboro Lights short box. wink
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 03:47 PM

Yall are a different breed of patient! I wish I had what yall had.. Usually by 8am its a struggle to sit any longer!
Posted By: Kingpin

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 09:56 PM

I stay in the blind a lot of hours. Just figure I'm not going to shoot anything from camp. If I'm going to be in there for awhile I will take a soft-sided cooler with drinks and snacks. This is in elevated box blinds not a bow stand though!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 10:09 PM

sleep... sleep... sleep.

or eat, eat, eat...
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 10:15 PM

Sat til 930 this morning then back in around 1030 until 115 then got back in at 330. This was 3 different stands so that helps. Phone and booster charger is a must.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 10:16 PM

The hard day's are in June July and August sitting all day axis hunting. Feel like I'm in a sweat lodge.
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/05/14 11:31 PM

I like to sit long hours in my stand during the rut. I never go to the stand without my thermos of coffee.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 03:30 AM

Man, hunting in july must be ridiculous!
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
The hard day's are in June July and August sitting all day axis hunting. Feel like I'm in a sweat lodge.

+1

A couple years ago we picked up my buddy in a stand in a late July axis hunt and was stripped down to his tighty-whities cuz it was 120 deg in that metal box blind.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 04:08 AM

For the long days

1) thermos of coffee
2) snacks
3) hand held poker and solitaire
4) book or anything to cure my ADHD

I have a funnel for a urinal, and toilet paper is in the cabin
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 04:23 AM

We usually stay until about 9:30, if it just my wife and I there I let her pick the time we leave. She likes to be in San Angelo shopping by noon, so we leave at 10:30, get to town about 11:00, eat and she is off shopping.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 05:02 AM

Is it better to stay in the blind longer in the a.m or p.m??

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 04:28 PM

Whens the best time to stay for long periods of time in the blind, am or pm?
Posted By: GunsUpHunter

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 05:41 PM

6 hours in the blind is a long period of time? That's about the minimum I stay on any given day.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 05:57 PM

Really? How long are you in a blind?
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 06:03 PM

It depends where I am hunting and weather. In Alberta, Mexico or south Texas trophy hunting we will sit all day. A thermos for a cup or two of coffee, trail mix, 2 leaded cokes, beef jerky, 3 bottles of water, protein bar, a 1 gallon empty jug and IPod with 24000 loaded songs and Bose ear buds.......and the most important, a comfortable chair..!! The difference for me is I only get to go on 2-3 hunts a year, so make the most of my time.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 10:01 PM

Water and jerky!!!
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 10:02 PM

So I guess I am the only one who likes to grab a spot at the base of a tree on comfortable days like today

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/06/14 11:42 PM

I chair with a back is key for long hunts! Otherwise its nothing but pain
Posted By: GunsUpHunter

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: SWtexashunter
Really? How long are you in a blind?

At a minimum 5:30-10:30 (nap/football game) 3:30-6:30

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 02:18 PM

Thats a good timeslot. I will probably end up doing that!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 03:27 PM

Thats a good timeslot. I will probably end up doing that!

Well were starting to see some ruttong activity between uvalde and bracketville so I plan on making my sits all day next week.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 07:10 PM

Yeah I am heading out next week and it was plan to stay all day to get the best chances. Good luck to you
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 07:20 PM

I should be in my stand right now. I like the evening hunts best, seems like I see more deer then. 3 hours is about it for me, although when in west Texas hunting we'll stay out all day long. Eat out of a cooler on the ranger. Good times.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 07:26 PM

Wish I wasn't tagged out. Taking a cousin in a few weeks. Hoping that helps me live vicariously a bit.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 07:44 PM

"tagged out" Thats an uncommon phrase this year!

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 07:46 PM

I always seem to see more deer in the morning and only one or two in the evening, where do you hunt?
Posted By: DanPhifer

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/07/14 11:56 PM

I like to turn the evening hunt into a night pig and coyote hunt. Snacks and drinks are a must.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/08/14 02:21 AM

What a sweet transition

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/08/14 02:26 AM

So at the lease there is a gun blind 20 or so feet off the ground which can see down a road and down a shooting lane which has a feeder. Next to the same feeder about 20 feet away there is a ground blind for bow hunting. Is it better to take the shooting blind for the long hunts or the close one? I planned to talk the gun blind because I get the best chances.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/08/14 04:18 AM

10-12 hours is a long time. Jerky and water and good binos

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/08/14 12:55 PM

Good binoculars seem to amuse me and make the time go faster... roflmao

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/09/14 12:47 AM

Who has experience being in the blind a long time? Do you see more deer during the day vs just going when the feeders are going to go off?
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/09/14 03:07 AM

If the weather is cold and overcast, starting about this time of year, I will put in a good 10 hrs in the blind if schedule allows. I'll only get out for an hot or two to make a trip to camp, grab and sandwich, and head back. In late season, if the weather is right, the deer will hit food sources all day at our place. Has to be cold, if the sun comes up and it gets warm, the deer bed mid day.

One thing about it, make sure you have plenty to occupy your time. Magazines, charged phone, etc. I'll even catch a football game or two on my phone sometimes. If you get bored or hungry, you're done. I pack like I'm setting up a small base camp for this long of a hunt. I even take a small blanket and pillow for a quick mid day nap when movement is slow.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/09/14 03:15 AM

I plan on staying in the blind from 5:30-1 and then head to camp, then I will come back at 3:30 to 6:30. Im hoping the weather is perfect
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/09/14 03:46 AM

Raisins, man. A big container of raisins.

I drop a case of water in the stand around opening weekend and always pack a soda or two in the blackpack.

I keep a car battery in the stand to keep my phone charged.

If not for a lack of plumbing, I might just live there during Nov-Dec.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/09/14 01:07 PM

Nothing but raisins?
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/10/14 03:13 AM

Nothing but raisins?

Hey, sitting on your azz all day is already bad enough. Probably not too wise to stuff your face with a lot of carbs and sodium. Just sayin.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/10/14 11:02 PM

Okay then, I guess that makes sense
Posted By: tlk

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/11/14 01:37 AM

10-12 hours in a stand? Listen to sports talk radio on Iphone with ear buds while surfing the web with the IPAD - look up every 30-45 seconds with binoculars to check senderos -

watched golf last Sunday for 4 hours on my IPAD - time flies!

Need lots of food too

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/11/14 03:11 AM

Lots of food but not too much water. I will be on my phone but I feel like I may get lost in it and end up missing something happening! I may put on BOSE headphones if I do watch a game

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/18/14 10:38 PM

Its tough being in there for a long time, especially with this warm weather! And those butt cramps...
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/19/14 05:04 PM

I can go about 3 hrs in a bow stand but that's about it since you really can't move at all. I'll have the phone and look at the web or sometimes work while sitting. On days the sciatica kicks in my sits get considerably shorter.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 12/19/14 05:23 PM

I was in the blind last Saturday from 2:40 to around 5:50, being at 20 yards I couldnt afford to move at all. And with it being 70 degrees outside it was quite miserable.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 03:25 AM

What are everyone's plans for this year
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 03:36 AM

Almost time!

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 01:10 PM

Hope it's not as warm as it was last year!
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 01:49 PM

For snacks I will pack up a few crackers, granola bars and some Gatorade. For entertainment I bring my Kindle Fire and read. I usually fall asleep during my reading at some point or another. No telling how many deer have passed by me during those 10-20 minute naps. Its ok though, cause those 10-20 minute naps are SOOOOOO NICE!

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 02:03 PM

I've thought about that too once or twice roflmao
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 02:08 PM

usually do 6-noon head out for lunch maybe then back in the stand at 1 till dark... not to many days I get to though

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 02:10 PM

Wow that's a long time eeks333
I don't know if I could handle that
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 02:38 PM

If I have the time it'll be an hour before sun-up until dark. Did that quite a few times last year.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 03:11 PM

What do you bring for food? You gotta bring a three course meal

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 04:18 PM

Most of the time its peanut butter crackers, jerky, and trail mix. Sometimes if I remember to, i'll stop at Mcdonalds or something and grab a couple of extra double cheeseburgers on the way Friday night and toss them in the fridge. Then on Saturday, I'll use my buddy heater to warm it up. Works pretty well, but you have to flip it a couple of times to not toast the carp out of the bottom bun up
Posted By: Storiale

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
Nothing but raisins?

Hey, sitting on your azz all day is already bad enough. Probably not too wise to stuff your face with a lot of carbs and sodium. Just sayin.

Unless you're persistence hunting, hunting is a sedentary activity. The less food the better. Protein in the morning keeps you warm, carbs keep you cold. Carbs makes you gain weight and you'll be hungry a few hours later, protein keeps those hunger pains from returning quickly.

Keep any food scent free and exercise noise discipline - I had a guy eating a doritos 50 yards behind me in MN one year. 200 yards of crunching bag and every chew was loud.

Having said that, my first deer was a great 8 pointer in VA and I was eating Ramen Noodles to keep warm. 30 yard shot, hunting on the ground with no blind... so who knows!!
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 07:24 PM

I will attempt reading this year. My new lease has limited to zero cell service and you can only pick up 1 radio station, so that's that. On the flip side, I have a blind in one of my spots big enough for a cot.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: gunnut81
I take a big bottle of water and another big empty bottle to pee in and just a couple packs of those peanut butter and crackers if I'm gonna be out that long, I prefer not to eat in the blind if I can avoid it so an urge doesn't hit me that I can't just put in an empty bottle if you know what I mean.

I pee off my stand. Ive had deer walk up lick it then carry on.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenny Powers
Originally Posted By: gunnut81

I pee off my stand. Ive had deer walk up lick it then carry on.

roflmao

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 09:26 PM

What do you bring for food? You gotta bring a three course meal

Eat before i leave... got a few protein bars and slim jims in the pack and water.... lots of snuff. maybe a few cold ones... love my little sixer camo cooler cheers

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 09:31 PM

Wow that's a long time eeks333
I don't know if I could handle that

It can be testing ill usually only do it if a good buck is using the area but sometimes just to be hunting... I took vacation last year and did this... other than slippin off to a heavy traffic stand to shoot a doe one morning i sat in one spot for 4 days strait and saw a total of three deer until the fourth morning ole boy decided to show up at 830am... dont always pay off though lol

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/15/15 09:39 PM

I usually am in the blind at about 5:40 AM to about 9 and then get in the blind at 3 to sunset. The biggest buck we've taken is a funky looking 7 point
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/16/15 02:14 AM

Morning: 30 minutes or so before you can see anything (time varies based on sunrise times as the season goes on). Thermos of coffee and bottled waters as needed. If we don't eat at camp, I grab breakfast bars / peanut butter crackers. I let the games cams tell me when they are moving as a general rule.

Evening: Normally @ 2.5 - 3 hours before dark. Usually no food but maybe some jerky as I had a good lunch and dinner comes after the evening hunt. I have beer and water. Nice to kick back and have a cold one or few while watching mother nature go to sleep for the evening, provided you're not blitzed and incapable of doing that.

The funnest ride back to camp is with a deer strapped up and a cold one in your hand, just enjoying the cool air in your face and looking forward to sharing your kill with camp buddies / cleaning said deer / making dinner / building a nice fire and watching some college football with the crew.

In my case, we are not on public roads, just dirt roads that lie within the property.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/16/15 02:42 AM

Don't forget the beer. popcorn
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/16/15 02:55 AM

A bottle of water and a can a snuff is all that's needed.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/16/15 02:57 AM

You guys got it down for sure!
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/16/15 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
A bottle of water and a can a snuff is all that's needed.

Marlboro Lights and a lighter and of course coffee in the morning and water in the evening.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/16/15 07:40 AM

On dark, gloomy days, I am always encouraged and able to spend more time on stand. I'll stay longer in the mornings and I'll get back on stand earlier on those days too. If it's really cold, I'll stay longer as well. On warm and bright days, not so much.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/16/15 07:22 PM

What do y'all sit on? 4 hours on a bucket is a nightmare

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/17/15 03:48 AM

Do you guys sit on buckets or chairs

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/17/15 04:01 AM

I stand in a tree... One day I want to jump on one and latch on to it's neck with my teerh
Posted By: kry226

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/17/15 04:55 AM

Old office chairs with an added cushion, or my Summit climber with the old air seat. up

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/17/15 05:01 AM

A good office chair makes for a perfect nap

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/17/15 01:05 PM

A good office chair does wonders. If my butt gets tired, i'll get up and stretch, then move to the other office chair in the stand.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/17/15 01:09 PM

Office chairs for us. Very comfortable and I can swivel around and check out the different approaches to my setups.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/17/15 01:48 PM

I used to sit on buckets but it made so much noise moving around because the blind was all wood. Those office chairs are game changers
Posted By: txwingnut

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 02:07 PM

old office chair with a rubber mat on floor of blind. Sit on my butt in an office but being in the woods is so much easier and nicer!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 02:28 PM

Office chair is the only way to go for sitting a long time. Take a full jug of water and an empty jug to pee in. Don't get them mixed up!
Pack a lunch and some sweets and other snacks.
Several hours in a blind can be rewarding, and it can also be pretty boring.
Get out and walk around the stand to stretch will help as well, and that could include corning the area you are hunting.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 02:38 PM

So you pee in a bottle but get out and walk around the stand? I try and pee in the scrapes near my stand.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
So you pee in a bottle but get out and walk around the stand? I try and pee in the scrapes near my stand.

You hunt enough to know better than that! What do you do when you have to go and there are a half dozen or so deer out in front of you or close enough by that peeing in your scrape will scare them out of the county?

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 03:09 PM

In that instance, I pee in a water bottle, too. roflmao
Posted By: txwingnut

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 03:21 PM

I also bring some venison jerky from previous year, 5 hour energy, SLR digital camera with zoom lens for 'shooting' the non-shooters and other critters like those dang squirrels that sound like a 12 pointer running up on the blind lol. I know its kinda retentive but I also have a white board with the sunrise sunset and am/pm major and minor activity times filled in for the day. My cell phone literally saved my life last year when I had a heart attack after cleaning my dear. I was able to get ahold of the hunter on the land over to me to direct the EMS to my blind and he found me in the woods to get me to the hospital in time!

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 08:23 PM

Wow, what a scary moment that must have been.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 08:23 PM

Bringing a camera sounds like a good idea to pass time... And fun.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/18/15 09:37 PM

I gotta say, looking at the time and waiting for the feeder to go off is one of the most exciting parts of the hunt
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/19/15 12:39 AM

I usually spend 2-4 days at a time in my blind. I take a cooler full of food/drinks,my laptop and cell phone.I have two marine deep cycle batteries with an inverter for electricity,and a Mr. Heater propane Buddy Heater when it gets chilly outside.
For comfort,I have a twin size mattress,sleeping bag,a comfy pillow and the best hunting blind chair ever made-a SmithWorks Outdoors ComfortQuest.
I've always been a loner,so I enjoy being away from everyone for days.It gives you time to think and enjoy life and the wildlife that's running around.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/19/15 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

You hunt enough to know better than that! What do you do when you have to go and there are a half dozen or so deer out in front of you or close enough by that peeing in your scrape will scare them out of the county?

I've pissed on a scrape before and seen that same scrape worked over the next day. It's one thing if I tossed a smoldering cig on it. Deer are curious by nature and urine (in and of itself) does not present an imminent threat to them. To them, something other than a receptive doe has invaded that space and they are going to one-up it, refresh the scrape and reclaim it as theirs.

There have been many studies on this.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/19/15 02:25 AM

The spot where I would park my four wheeler last year at one of my stands, I would pee at after getting out of the stand. A deer started working it like another deers scrape. Funniest thing.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/19/15 03:12 AM

I just relax and enjoy the outdoors. Text if I really get bored.

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/19/15 04:04 AM

Had earmuffs on one time and had my phone in my pocket and didn't realize Siri on my iPhone was yapping

My brother one time also forgot which way the safety switch went (complete dummy) and ended up firing the rifle out the window straight into the air

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/23/15 03:55 AM

Who's ready for their season? Everyone got their hit-list?

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/23/15 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

I've pissed on a scrape before and seen that same scrape worked over the next day. It's one thing if I tossed a smoldering cig on it. Deer are curious by nature and urine (in and of itself) does not present an imminent threat to them. To them, something other than a receptive doe has invaded that space and they are going to one-up it, refresh the scrape and reclaim it as theirs.

There have been many studies on this.

I've done it many times and had the same results. Makes the bucks mad.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/23/15 02:49 PM

Some facinating reading. I always considered myself a semi-casual hunter who didnt really spent HUGE stretches in the blind. Try and get to blind little over an hour before official sunrise (645 to 7), leave about 10 am. Go back to camp for 2nd breakfast. Nap and Football. Quick sandwich around 2 and back to blind by 3 or 330p and leave about 45 minutes after officiall sundown (7ish). Of course, many factors change this.....Weather, deer movement, bowels awakening....

Well, thats 7 hours in the stand. And I have taken deer within 5 minutes of sitting down and shot some as I was planning to leave the blind.

Used to be snacks and a good book were priorities, but now, nith todays technology a phone and good battery can keep me there all day

Re: Long periods of time in the blind - 09/23/15 10:38 PM

After reading everyone's responses I am WEAK, I may be in the blind for 3-5 hours max in the morning. And around 3-4 in the evening. I guess that's why we've taken no big deer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum