Texas Hunting Forum

Montague County

Posted By: golferbean

Montague County - 12/01/14 04:28 PM

I am going hunting in Montague County this weekend. i have only ever hunted the Hill Country. Hows the deer movement up there?
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Montague County - 12/01/14 06:26 PM

Been slow the last couple of weeks. Where abouts are you hunting?

Re: Montague County - 12/01/14 11:15 PM

Going to be around the St Jo area.

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 01:33 AM

Yeah I hunt around the Saint Jo area. North of Saint Jo. Forget the feeders. Hunt where you can see for a good ways, corn roads, and have fun! Good luck!

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 03:25 AM

I'm north on 677. Thanks for the tip. Good luck to you also

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 03:43 AM

Yeah I'm a little more north of you and a little west. Over by the Indian bridge. Keep us informed.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: golferbean
Going to be around the St Jo area.
Beautiful area, especially north of town. It's like the bottom drops out the closer you get to the red.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 12:14 PM

I hunt just a little north of capps corner and its been SLOW. Worse season in the last 4 years. Good luck

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 03:44 PM

Ronnie- have you been seeing any movement at all? Doe, turkey, hogs? im really looking to put meat in the freezer first. my deep freeze went out this year and i lost all my deer meat.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 05:26 PM

Ive seen some does. There are turkey and hogs around. I would think if you hunted hard all wknd you should atleast see a doe....
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Montague County - 12/02/14 09:17 PM

Hunted last Monday, Friday and Saturday. Saw deer each day with the exception of Saturday.

Monday, saw the big 12 I was hunting for all season. I didn't have time to get my sights on him but he was cruising on the edge of the field 350 yards away. Friday, my BIL saw a big 9 chasing a doe around the field, plus the big 12 and another buck crossing the field. At the feeder he saw 5 doe. This all happened around 8:30 AM. He was too excited to get his gun up to take a shot at the 9 or 12 point. BTW he is from Alabama and wasn't accustomed to all the activity and the movement of bucks. Friday evening saw the big 12 come in chasing a doe at the feeder. But was too dark to get a scope on the deer. Ended up watching with NVG just to see what they were doing.

Saturday, early, saw 6 doe moving early. The wind was crazy strong!

I was surprised that the bucks were moving so late in the morning and that they were chasing. I figured the rut was over but maybe it is still the tail end "no pun intended" of the rut. Will be back out there on Sat.

Re: Montague County - 12/03/14 04:38 AM

That's good to hear -Las Colinas Hunter- I'm hoping there is at least some movement this weekend. I'll be staying in the blind for a while.
Posted By: MudEngineer

Re: Montague County - 12/03/14 09:04 AM

We hunt NW Montague Co.And have hunted nearly every day and I think the rut is just now peaking up there. Don't know why but the rut seems to be about 2 weeks later than say Jack Co. My brother killed a massive 8 pointer up there 10 days ago and he was with 2 other bucks. Would post a pic but I forgot how it's been so long!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum