Texas Hunting Forum

anyone else super slow in east tx?

Posted By: BassBuckNBeer

anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 02:48 PM

On a lease we've hunted for 30 years things seem to be ridiculously slow. Nothing going to feeders. corn has been piling up on the ground for days. Nothing being seen. Not even any pigs on cameras... that's very rare...normal to see 8-10 deer a sit. Anyone else?
Posted By: jgreasy

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 02:52 PM

Same here in Franklin Co. Between the warmth, the wind, and my neighbors duck hunting like the sky is falling, I've been skunked 4 straight hunts.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 02:52 PM

Yes. Same story at my place. Deer are hanging in the woods this year. A wet year is both a blessing and a curse....
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 03:05 PM

Same here. In the past 3 hunts I've seen more coyotes(2) than deer(4 point).
Posted By: pprince

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 03:08 PM

This is my first year in bowie county. I've seen several deer but no big ones chasing or anything. It has been crazy slow for me this morning too. Do yall think the rut is over here or hasn't peaked yet. I've gotten mixed answers.
Posted By: SWtexashunter

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 03:11 PM

In my hunting trip last week in Uvalde I saw a total of 14 deer. But of course 12 were does and 2 yearling bucks. Where are the bucks?!
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 03:50 PM

N.E Kaufman seems strangely slow
Posted By: Mlewjr

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 05:53 PM

According to my cameras, all the movement is at night.
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 05:58 PM

Go to where the deer are, don't just sit and watch a vacant feeder
Posted By: breadman

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 05:58 PM

yep, walker and maddision county is down to a crawl also !!!
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Mambajeep
Go to where the deer are, don't just sit and watch a vacant feeder

If trespassing wasn't illegal, then I'd say you're onto something.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 08:09 PM

Longview lease is super slow past few weeks..corn in piles at feeders.. No activity on cameras but 2 coons
Posted By: Randy H

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 08:19 PM

Central Wood County here. Since the first of bow season up until yesterday, I have been in the woods 13 times and I have seen:

1 Doe
1 12.5" - 13.5" 2 yr old 8 pt
2 Armadillos
1 Bobcat
1 Coon

one word -- "RIDICULOUS"
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 09:02 PM

Son hunts Harrison County...one shooter 8 point has been seen 3 times on game camera (midnight-3am)...couple 4 points & a 5 point during shooting hours (AR makes them taboo)and zero does...friends place down the road a couple miles...nice 8 point killed...only two other bucks on game camera...zero does...

rick
Posted By: Prandtl

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 09:36 PM

Was out last weekend in Tyler co. Nothing. Didn't see any type of critter, crows only, eating the corn.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 09:41 PM

We hunted a lot the last week around Van Zandt county and have not really seen anything. I had decent activity on cameras until about 5 days ago and now nothing is showing at feeders, not even at night. I took my son and his buddy varmint hunting last night around midnight and saw 8 deer through the thermal close to where we have a feeder... checked that camera this morning and those deer never hit that feeder. Slowest I have seen in years right now.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 10:01 PM

Aren't most people in east Texas "super slow"? peep
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 11/30/14 10:02 PM

I'm in SW VanZandt county and it's been a great yr for me. Typical evening hunt is 2-3 small bucks, a nice 8 that doesn't make 13", 3-4 doe with 4-6 fawns. Saw a nice 15-16" 9pt first Friday of rifle season but wasn't ready to end my season I guess. Had the crosshairs on him but never took the rifle off of safety. Havnt seen him since then so I guess I should've shot him. I didn't even put my feeder up til the Wed before rifle season opened. Since then I've fed 250lbs of corn and it's all been cleaned up.
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 12:16 AM

Upshur county near Gilmer I have 6 doe and yearlings and 3 different bucks coming mainly at night to one feeder. My other feeder-----corn piled up----nothing. Not really far apart either.
Posted By: Mfloski

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 12:39 AM

East Texas has been painfully slow!
Posted By: Savage388

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 12:51 AM

You can contribute it to a few key factors:

1. The major rut is done. There will be a few young does that come in to estrus late but the mature does are bred.

2. The weather is warm. A warm deer doesn't have to eat as much to maintain his body temp.

3. Acorns are abundant. This year was a bumper crop as far a mast is concerned. It is a fact deer will walk past a pile of corn to pick up a few acorns. As long as there are acorns on the ground, corn consumption will be down. A couple of weeks of cold, wet weather will get the deer on their feet again.

I was blessed to harvest my largest deer to date this season, as well as a doe and a 3pt. My season is done in Polk County.
Posted By: jasons

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 03:13 AM

I got one nice deer from Angelina County, however it has been the only buck I've seen in over 12 trips. Its actualy only the second deer I've seen period. I finaly ran across a few does the other day, but thats it. I have hunted a few different areas and counties,-Angelina, San Augustine, Nacogdoches. I have onyl seen a few deer on occasion-and only see them on the same trip, most trips I dont see anything. Hell, it even seems like the squirrels have disappeared. Not picking up much of anything on camera either-mainly just does. These areas do have hunting pressure-so We've been heading into deeper woods to see if improves. Other people around these areas seem to have the same complaints.
Posted By: Cobbler

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 03:33 AM

Nacogdoches- slow
Posted By: BadLander

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 03:39 AM

All deer on cams are at night! Got one good 8 off the beaten path camera only! Took son and wife to fill doe tags saw zero sat morning! Same for evening! Had doe and two fawns come to wife's feeder Sunday morning she wouldn't shoot due to her fawns! No pigs Nada! We hunted cut sendero this morning to get out of the wind and watch the game trail to the feeder ! With zero results!
RAINS county!
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 05:34 PM

Well there ya go... All my deer have moved south to your place ETXFIREMAN... lol. I had lots of deer showing on game cams earlier in season. I even had a massive 12 point I was giddy at the thought of hunting. But the last week or so, everything just seemed to come to a stop around my place. Unfortunately, that's when I planned to do most of my hunting. I'm hoping it was just the warmer weather we had, acorns on the ground (I figured they would have soured by now) but who knows.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/01/14 06:05 PM

I've watched does every weekend in south Polk Co, and held off hoping that the kids would shoot our allotment (2) for the lease. The few sits they've been able to make didn't produce. So this weekend I headed out to the lease after lunch on Thursday. 7 sits, not a single doe showed up bang last year I said I wouldn't do it again...but I did grin oh well, I'll be paying for an additional spot this coming year so that I don't have the problem of waiting on the kids next year up

I've watched a few legal bucks eating down the lanes, but they're all young deer. Haven't seen a mature buck yet. We have a big 6 on camera that I'm hoping to take, if he'll just step out and give me a shot. Just aggravated that on the final weekend for doe, the weather had the deer shut down

But I've got another month...and I think that once the acorns sour and the weather gets colder, the deer will be hitting the feeders more often
Posted By: Lil Joe

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: breadman

So is Leon. Saw ZERO in 4 hunts this weekend. That has never happened before
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Joel c
Originally Posted By: breadman

So is Leon. Saw ZERO in 4 hunts this weekend. That has never happened before

Sounds like our place...slowest I've ever seen here in Houston County...
Posted By: Pinky3169

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 11:55 AM

Yeah, in Walker / Madison County this past weekend.. Had a big mature buck I could have shot on Friday morning, the only deer I saw.. After that the deer activity stopped... As a matter of fact, all activity stopped.. We saw maybe 2 deer crossing power lines on a dead run.. No pigs, no Coyotes, nothing... They have been blowing all the explosives that have been set all over the county for oil and gas exploration this weekend.. Saw the helicopter that was setting the charges off... That may have had something to do with it..
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 02:21 PM

Havent seen deer the last three days, but so far this morning ive seen 11 including a 10pt chasing a doe around. She must have come in late as the rut is pretty much over. Its been a nice morning out here after the last few boring hunts.
Posted By: DHS274

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 02:44 PM

My land in East Texas, deer are like Vampires this year, night activity 99.9% of the time. I hunt a wooded area, and I saw a hog the other evening in the trees eating acorns, there is a feeder within sight. In past years hogs would always take the easy feeder food.

Acorns and weather, that has driven the lack of movement and activity this year. It will get cold on January 5 and trail cameras will pick up all the mature bucks that have been deep in the woods.

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 03:18 PM

Heading in. Saw a total of 14 this morning , 10 pt narrow buck, young fork horn were both running a doe. Might have been the same doe, im not sure. This was nice after seeing zilch the lasr few days. And i swear those doe know exactly when doe days are over.
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 03:48 PM

Upshur County is DEAD.
Still seeing a few in Henderson County but it has slowed WAY DOWN. Deer won't even look at a feeder but still hitting the foodplots a bit.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 04:03 PM

Seems like we're all singing pretty much the same song.....
Posted By: Jhunt

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 08:15 PM

Started off like gang busters opening weekend. Slow in Streetman. Thinking the high winds knocked the remainder of acorns to ground. Just have to wait it out. Next few weeks should show a turn around. Still seeing fawns with does so a 2nd and 3 rd rut cycle will be worth staying in the woods for.
Posted By: Mr. Man

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 11:08 PM

i saw a nice young 8 point the morning of the opening weekend and haven't seen anything since. i was getting a lot of trail cam pics of deer at night and barely any hog picures. since November 15th or so activity has really slowed and i now have a pretty good pile of corn laying on the ground. as of November 21st i had no deer hogs raccoons nothing come to that feeder for a week. i since then started hunting a pipeline that they run and have seen nothing but doe and one little hog.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/02/14 11:12 PM

Slow in red river. Or maybe it's just me.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:01 AM

I have only seen deer on camera at night!!! Also acorns were still dropping last week!!! bang
Posted By: Drew in Tejas

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:03 AM

Red River here. I hunt around Clarksville. Well I had been seeing a few really nice bucks on camera and seeing bucks chase harc. Well I hunted 3 days and sat in the blinds longer than I ever had 5am to 11am and 230pm to 630pm. Hunting was slow slow slow. My big bucks have gone missing. Tons of deer just passing the feeder. Best hunt I had was Monday morning, which I had 22 deer come thru. Only 2 bucks and they still didn't eat all the corn and cattle cubes under the feeder. I did get checked by the warden sat night after my fiance shot a doe. Of course all was fine on my property but they had 2 bucks, 1 doe, 8 buck heads, and a turkey in the back of the truck that they had taken from idiots. They were also writing tickets at the Detroit meat processor. That is what I hate about that area. We follow all the rules and these idiots poach non stop. Sorry Rant over and it is slow. Gonna head back out this weekend. Hoping things will pick back up. Gunning for my first buck and dont plan on settling for a young one.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
I have only seen deer on camera at night!!! Also acorns were still dropping last week!!! bang

Heard they were shooting them in CB this year...even got a pic of a buck out of there that's like one of the ones from across the fence. popcorn

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Seadog

Heard they were shooting them in CB this year...even got a pic of a buck out of there that's like one of the ones from across the fence. popcorn

I'm glad some of the guys over there are getting something but I'm happy with my new lease!!! I'm now seeing promise for the next 4 to 5 years!!! And I still refuse to go to the dark side!!! peep

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:31 AM

popcorn

Ironically I got this text coming through the booming metropolis of Ivanhoe.
Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Savage388
You can contribute it to a few key factors:

1. The major rut is done. There will be a few young does that come in to estrus late but the mature does are bred.

2. The weather is warm. A warm deer doesn't have to eat as much to maintain his body temp.

3. Acorns are abundant. This year was a bumper crop as far a mast is concerned. It is a fact deer will walk past a pile of corn to pick up a few acorns. As long as there are acorns on the ground, corn consumption will be down. A couple of weeks of cold, wet weather will get the deer on their feet again.

Bingo.

It's been crazy slow here in Cherokee/Anderson Co areas I hunt. I haven't wasted much time hunting knowing these factors are at play. If weather changes, I'll change my habits, too.

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
popcorn

Ironically I got this text coming through the booming metropolis of Ivanhoe.

When were you in Ivanhoe?

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:51 AM

11/22

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 04:54 AM

I'm in Warren!!! Let me know when you come back in the area and we'll meet up for a beer!!!

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/03/14 05:13 AM

10-4. My BIL lives down that way now.
Posted By: aggiehunter3

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/04/14 03:05 AM

It's been 1 of the best years for our place in Rusk Co. We've killed a good 10pt, seen 2-3 other shooters that we couldn't close the deal on, and have 5+ other legal bucks we have passed. Of course those numbers spiked during the rut, but we still had some late does coming into heat just last weekend that brought in some new bucks.

They have not been hitting the feeders at all, so we started hand corning spots close to our feeders. It was amazing the number of bucks that we are getting pics at the hand corn spots that refuse to eat the same corn that's under the feeder only 40 yards away. Next year we are taking all the feeders down and going solely with hand corn. These deer are finicky, but I love the progressions I'm seeing on our bucks over the last 5 years. I'm seeing more deer each hunt than my father in law has been seeing at his west tx lease.

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/04/14 03:10 AM

rifleman- What county was that buck taken in?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/05/14 02:47 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/h...a06c89085a60e0f

slow as far as movement but the big bucks are not in shortage. Buddy of mine took this one down the road from me
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/05/14 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/h...a06c89085a60e0f

slow as far as movement but the big bucks are not in shortage. Buddy of mine took this one down the road from me

Well at least we know his secret now... LOTS of face paint. rofl
Posted By: Navasot

Re: anyone else super slow in east tx? - 12/05/14 09:26 PM

cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum