Texas Hunting Forum

At the half-way point, where do you stand?

Posted By: Texas Dan

At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 01:02 PM

With this being roughly the half-way point of the general season, where do you stand with the harvest?

I've seen more deer than I remember seeing during any past season. Seen a couple of bucks that would have passed the 13-inch rule but we're still on the young side, and a lot spikes and lesser bucks. Took a doe and spike for a couple of the landowners. Expecting to get many more hours in the stand during the Christmas and New Years holidays.
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 01:42 PM

Nothing comes to the feeder regularly. Been a waste of my time so far.

I'll add that I'm currently wasting my time as well. But it doesn't help that the wind is 20-30
Posted By: GLC

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 01:44 PM

Worst year in 5 years.

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan81
Nothing comes to the feeder regularly. Been a waste of my time so far.

A good friend of mine has food plots scattered all over his place and has not seen near the deer that I have this season. And our tracts are in the same general area with less than a half mile between our gates. I also know him well enough that I know he's telling the truth. His place mostly pines on high ground and he planted late in mid October. The tract that I hunt is hardwood creek bottom and I planted in mid September. And his place has seen less pressure.

As they say in the real estate business, when it comes to deer habitat, it's all about the location of your property that matters most.
Posted By: Bill_OA

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 01:50 PM

Have not been in a deer blind yet.
Posted By: postoak

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 01:55 PM

Like WCallaway, I haven't hunted yet. I leave midweek.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 01:59 PM

I have not personally saw a live deer since season started. But the cameras say they are here.

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 02:23 PM

Glad I'm not the only one then.

Over the last few hunts I've about seen as much yote activity as I have deer activity which is part of the problem. But even last year I was seeing a lot more deer so i don't know. I do know I'm about to start hitting the yote hunting. They're lucky I've been bow hunting instead of rifle hunting.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 02:27 PM

Opening weekend I was absolutely covered up in small bucks.

I've tagged out for the year, though, on deer the owner wanted gone, mostly does. Now I'm just guiding for friends/family.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 02:36 PM

Weird year. Deer are there and healthy but had plenty to eat up until recently so not as much activity in the plots. Feeders have been mostly ignored since about the second week of bow season.

That said, we have seen some nice deer with a little change in tactics.

Seems like there have been more "dead" days than usual with little/no movement. Only about a week of "magical" days during November when usually we have 2-3 weeks of excellent movement.

I have always really considered the season to be over after this weekend. I know that is purely a mental thing and I will continue hunting, but I just don't like hunting once the leaves fall. I start on the woodcock with my dog then. This year will be different though as my oldest daughter is still hunting so I'm looking forward to some more time with her.
Posted By: B-Man

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 02:45 PM

Still plugging away in Baylor county. Worst in 3 yrs that I have been on. Guys on the place that have been there for 14 yrs say its never been this bad. Land around us is now leased up and lots of shooting, at what we aren't certain. Possible thoughts of the drought finally affecting us, coyote issues etc.

Price you pay I guess.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 03:12 PM

It's been bad for me in jack county. I've spent 40-50 hours in the blind and seen 4 deer. 2 were over 500 yards away, one I missed (scope ring issue that's since been fixed) and one buck who was a shooter, but was chasing so hard even when I yelled at him he wouldn't stop. I'm hoping the next couple weeks puts a deer in my freezer.
Posted By: BSolomon

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 03:25 PM

I have my buck tags filled. Seeing 15-20 does every morning in the stand.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 03:28 PM

Reading all these reports, I'm blessed and need to give thanks!
Posted By: Kingfisher77

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 03:33 PM

I'm seeing about the same number that we normally see in Coke Co, just not seeing any quality bucks. I harvested a 7 pt cull buck this weekend, going to give it a few more weeks and hopefully take a nice 8. If that doesn't happen I'll burn both tags on management bucks.

Judging from the amount of gunfire on our neighboring property, it's a pretty safe bet that our neighbors are taking the 2.5-3.5 year old 8's that we were seeing on cameras this fall. They have all disappeared over the last month.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 04:44 PM

It's been a big waste of time for me, but I did introduce a new hunter to the woods, and my dad killed his first buck since he introduced me to hunting 16 years ago. So I'm pretty happy with those results
Posted By: BigPig

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 04:44 PM

It's been a big waste of time for me, but I did introduce a new hunter to the woods, and my dad killed his first buck since he introduced me to hunting 16 years ago. So I'm pretty happy with those results
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Me too. Thank you Lord for a great year!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Me too. Thank you Lord for a great year!

Add a third one to being a happy camper.

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 06:33 PM

For those of you having success, just wondering where you're located?

Seems like a lot of us not seein much are in East Texas.

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan81
For those of you having success, just wondering where you're located?

Seems like a lot of us not seein much are in East Texas.

I spend most of my time hunting a small tract of hardwood bottom in Houston County (East Texas). The first legal buck I saw was a 15-inch, 3-1/2 that walked past me Opening Morning while hunting the Davy Crockett National Forest.

In terms of deer sightings, this year has been as great as last season was poor while hunting the same stand sites.
Posted By: krod777

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 06:50 PM

I hunted steady this year. I helped both my nephews shoot their first deer. Things slowed way down lately though.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 06:56 PM

Hill country good as always, nothing huge (antlers), as always, free range axis off, tons of turkeys
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 07:03 PM

We have had a pretty good year so far, as far as seeing deer on every outing.. My dad shot a good buck opening weekend nice older 8 with huge brows, I missed the biggest buck we have on camera!!... And have seen some other shooters but to far off... All in all I guess so far so good.. Sounds like we are blessed too compared to others... Good luck rest of the year..
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 07:26 PM

Good year so far.

Shot my new personal best opening weekend 173 2/8" low fence. Had some of our other target management deer taken. Been pretty slow so far at our corn feeders. Have had to hunt a little different this year.
Posted By: jmackle

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 07:37 PM

First year on a new lease in Mitchell County.

I've seen lots of deer, but mostly young bucks. I've seen a couple of 3.5 y/o that I'm hoping keep on keeping on, but I hear a great deal of gunfire around so I just don't know.

I've thought some on it. A few years ago I was seeing reports of really bad fawn survival rates due to drought. I think we are going to be in a couple of those years with smaller numbers of 3.5 and old deer due to poor survival rates. Just a theory.

Hopefully it will get better.
Posted By: drakecutter

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 07:39 PM

Im having a great year! I have seen deer every sit. Harvested my two does and Buck over 13". (17" to be exact) Just drawing out the rest of the season looking for my one UN-branched antler buck and hunting hogs and occasional set of wood ducks. I have pecans, acorns, woods, and pastures. Have deer coming to corn-feeders on regular basis.Guess I am one of the blessed ones this year.Im very thankful for that. Very. Not to mention I put my time in. Scouting and planning constantly. Hope yalls luck turns around.
Posted By: passthru

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 07:50 PM

It's going good so far. Three of five tags filled. Still waiting on the big guy. If he doesn't show I'll shoot another management deer and start looking forward to next season.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 08:12 PM

Only one nice 8 pt out of three guns on our lease so far. Lots of tracks though.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: B-Man
Still plugging away in Baylor county. Worst in 3 yrs that I have been on. Guys on the place that have been there for 14 yrs say its never been this bad. Land around us is now leased up and lots of shooting, at what we aren't certain. Possible thoughts of the drought finally affecting us, coyote issues etc.

Price you pay I guess.

From our lease, and the 13 others we managed, that's what we are hearing from most. However, numbers being down, we are seeing some good bucks. I think it is the drought's effects even though this summer was better; and the predators (four and two legged). We're working on taking care of all predators on our places.
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 09:07 PM

Worst year in over a decade...

rick

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Barcelona Rick
Worst year in over a decade...

rick

Same for me last year. If it makes you feel any better, this year has been one of the best. Just hang in there and hunt during the middle of the week if possible.
Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 11/30/14 11:58 PM

I am on two leases . One in Earth and one in young. Deer are just not coming to the feeders this year. Not near as much activity as years past. I haven't seen enough deer to even know when they were rutting. Strange year.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 12:18 AM

Saw a couple does and a buck, all young, a few weeks back (the only weekend I've been out except for this one). Saw nothing this weekend. A few deer on cams but nothing special (moved cams outside of pens before I started seeing anything - they aren't going in!). Absolutely horrible season thus far.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 12:20 AM

Killed a 8pt and doe early and haven't seen much since.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 04:30 AM

It has been strange, not seeing any mature bucks to speak of. My nephews ( 8 & 16 )both killed good bucks, only 2 mature deer we had on camera, so I guess it hasn't been too bad. Dad,brother, and myself headed back mid week, maybe things will change. If they don't , I'm sure gonna have fun any way!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 04:40 AM

I've just killed hogs and have mostly been letting my wife hunt since my strategically placed cameras aren't showing me anything I want to shoot. She's been locked in on 1 buck that I won't shoot bc of his age, but if she manages to kill him he'll be her biggest WT to date.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 04:48 AM

Little different for us this year. Limited mature deer on camera, probably from the drought 5-6 years ago and limited fawn crop then. Range is in great condition, so feed isn't important. Rut was a little off this year, but young bucks are still cruising and searching.

As far as harvest, been a good year so far. Took a doe early with my bow and was successful on connecting with a nice Kansas buck. Went to my Texas place this weekend to hunt a mature buck. Spent four hunts in the bow blind and gave up. Took my sister out to the open country with a rifle and she connected with the buck I was looking for (or his twin brother it turned out). Was her first buck and one of my favorite hunts.

Overall, been a fun year with some tough hunting mixed in. Looking forward to December
Posted By: llbts1

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 05:00 AM

Weather has been brutal during the times I could hunt. Going out this weekend. Hope things pick up.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 03:36 PM

Things are just getting going where I hunt in South Texas. I've been seeing lots of deer and probably more mature bucks than normal. Took my first doe of the year with my 3 year old son by my side over the weekend.
Posted By: DH 1

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 03:51 PM

I am having a really good season, here's the count so far:
1.Spike Buck (Bow Season)
2.7 Point (Opening Weekend)
3.Doe (Opening Weekend)
4.8 Point and 6 Point (11/8)
5.Doe (11/22)
Rut came VERY early in Del Rio. We have seen bucks chasing does every weekend in daylight hours. Deer are fat, must be a hard winter coming up.
Posted By: banderabound

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 03:59 PM

Have had two big bosses show up over the last week. Saw my big beautiful 6-point yesterday morning but he didn't allow a shot.

It's strange - my little trashy bucks have all left only to be replaced by quality young 8s (3 of them on camera together several times over the last week).

Unfortunately, the State Park hunt starts today. Man, I hope some of these dudes can make it.

I'm going back Thursday through Sunday with hopes of running into 'Big Six'.

I grew up in Florida when all you could do was sit in a tree and hope like heck you saw something. You'd might go for the entire season and not see a thing! Hunting here is totally awesome!
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 05:55 PM

season so far has been really slow. Have only seen two bucks during the morning hours, but have does regularly coming in.
Posted By: ATX_Hunter

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/01/14 06:50 PM

I have harvested two does thus far. I haven't seen many mature bucks compared to years past.

Strangely enough I haven't seen any hogs either which is unusual. Not a bad thing. Just kind of weird.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/02/14 10:28 PM

Meat in the freezer - 1 spike and 1 doe, still hunting for the big guy. Been awfully tough year, not a lot of activity. bumper crop of acorns put the hurt on feeder activity this year.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/02/14 10:44 PM

SUCKS. Neighbors shooting anything that walks out. Nuff said.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/02/14 11:15 PM

Big buck is down, one hog so far and 3 coyotes. Still going for pigs and hope to get a doe before end of season. Just depends on if I see the right one.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/03/14 12:55 AM

I've seen young bucks on almost every hunt, very few doe at the feeders during the day on the TC's but will see half a dozen or more at night. Saw one doe I opted not to shoot during box season, that was a mistake because I am usually looking at a doe parade, not this year. It's been strange for sure.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: At the half-way point, where do you stand? - 12/03/14 12:57 AM

Still waiting on a buck thats over 13" its been five years now. Oh well you know where I stand on AR's
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum