Texas Hunting Forum

When should I start feeding protein?

Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 01:11 PM

I am going to get 2 boss buck protein feeders. I wanted to know when is the best time to start feeding it and what protein would you reccomend?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 01:16 PM

I feed year round. Tried doing it from Jan to Sept and then let the corn feeders take over but some of my deer were leaving and going to a neighbor that was feeding year round.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 01:32 PM

We start after they drop their antlers and stop mid October in our free choice feeders. Then we feed a 60/40 corn/protein mix the rest of the year.

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 01:45 PM

Any specific proteins you recommend?
Posted By: Western

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 02:03 PM

I think I get Martendale from my dealer, but probably wrong on that. I don't have a free choice feeder yet, but have used a trough and corn mix in another timed feeder for some time. I pay around $11-13 for 50# bag

I use 21% until Spring green up, then drop to 16% through june or so, when natural grub looks poor, I will bump it back up to 21% through end of Oct.

You would be smart to see what your local feed store carries, or one you pass on the way out, convenience can save allot in fuel.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 07:26 PM

We use Behrends 16% or Purina Antler MAx

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 07:41 PM

My intentions were to look at the tags and see how they compare to feed. I can probably get the same thing a lot cheaper at the feed store.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 08:41 PM

Feed year round for me, free choice from Feb-Oct and timed during season
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 11/29/14 10:05 PM

We feed from Mid January until the feeders run out in September. 20% Purina deer chow. We have 3 feeding stations with 1000 Lbs. Bulk feeders at each spot, these are places scatterd out over our lease, that we do not hunt over.
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/02/14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
We feed from Mid January until the feeders run out in September. 20% Purina deer chow. We have 3 feeding stations with 1000 Lbs. Bulk feeders at each spot, these are places scatterd out over our lease, that we do not hunt over.

how long will your 1000lb feeder last you
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/03/14 01:49 AM

We start February and go through August. We use free choice protein stations and have left protein in the free choice feeders into the fall, but when we start up the spin feeders with corn, tney move to the corn and other higher carbohydrate natural foods as that is what their body craves for the upcoming rut and cold weather - think energy and fat. I use trail cameras and can see a big drop off on the protein visits once the bucks shed their velvet. Keep in mind that protein gets stale, so you don't want it sitting in a feeder for months and months.
Posted By: therock

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/03/14 01:57 PM

For the guys that feed free choice protein, do you have very many axis on your property?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/03/14 02:05 PM

Now and year round
Posted By: Lonestar1955

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/04/14 01:26 AM

we feed YEAR round free choice from 2-1 ton free choice feeders. and corn throws a least one time a day in every feeder on our lease year round!
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/04/14 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: therock
For the guys that feed free choice protein, do you have very many axis on your property?

We don't have axis, but have been on a lease before with them. They will definitely belly up to the bar and eat their share.
Posted By: burkie38

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/04/14 02:49 AM

Now
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/04/14 04:12 AM

Do yourself a favor if you can and get 2000# protein feeders they last longer. If you have a high deer population a 1000# feeder will empty fast. If you have a lot of axis they eat a lot but grow some awesome horns. I highly recommend www.lindnerfeed.com you can find a dealer and get it off there site this feed works trust me I have seen the deer grow a lot of horn in one year.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/04/14 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Auctioneer1
Do yourself a favor if you can and get 2000# protein feeders they last longer. If you have a high deer population a 1000# feeder will empty fast. If you have a lot of axis they eat a lot but grow some awesome horns. I highly recommend www.lindnerfeed.com you can find a dealer and get it off there site this feed works trust me I have seen the deer grow a lot of horn in one year.

You're right about emptying fast. Our 55 gallon drum free choice feeders empty in about two weeks at the fastest and I've read some peoples empty much faster during the dry times.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/04/14 05:01 AM

I would start feeding protein now. The Post Rut is a very hard time on bucks. They've lost alot of weight during the rut, and many years there's not much available in the way of natural forbes. Getting them accustomed to protein now will help them to put weight back on faster, help you not lose any, and set them up to grow better antlers next year.

Many people only feed protein during the active antler growth periods. But, by then it's largely too late and that buck's rack has already been set for the year by his body condition.

We see our protein consumption spike in late Winter and Summer. Fall and Spring they don't eat much at all.
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: When should I start feeding protein? - 12/04/14 05:08 AM

When feeding protein, do you still feed corn or no?

I've also never done protein but plan to start this year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum