Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas Reprieve or Remorse

Posted By: DQ Kid

South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 02:43 AM

Went hunting Wed. in South Texas (Zapata/Webb) county line with my Pops, 76 years old and recent bad health, kidney dialysis and recent double bypass surgery. Pops has had this lease for 30+ years and it has produced very nice bucks over the years. That morning it was in the lower 40s with very light wind. After corning the roads, I had a couple of doe by the time getting into the blind. About 7:20AM, I catch a large bodied deer come out about 300 yards out and immediately put the binoculars on him to see a very nice 10, wide, dark horned mature buck (5+ yo). The does are about 150 yards closer and he slowly begins to eat on the corn making his way towards the doe but never really turning broadside. This does give me a good perspective of his width which looks to be about 20" inside and maybe 22" outside, with 10-12" G2s and nice G1s, G3s and G4s. At this point he's about 200 yards or so out and I'm pretty sure he's one I'd be very happy with, guessing 145-150" on score. Before I can get much more look at him, a young 6 pt. comes out and the two proceed to runoff. Unfortunately only the young buck comes back and I don't get another look at the nice buck. Pops asks me why I watched him so much and I really don't have a great answer other than I was impressed by this animal and wanted to only take a good, clean ethical shot on him. Anyhow, Pops hunted the blind in the afternoon and only saw a small buck and 10-12 doe/yearlings. I plan on taking another run out there over X-Mas so hoping to see the big 10 again or maybe even his bigger brother or father. Know I should be kicking myself over passing on this guy but can't say that I am, is this normal?
Posted By: B-Man

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 02:46 AM

Absolutely. Good call on the ethical shot protocol. Respect for the sport all the way around!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 02:51 AM

I passed on a very nice 8 point on Ft Hood first week or so of bow season. He was broadside at about 45 yards but I waited for him to come closer and he walked off. Haven't seen a buck since that day and I've hunted about 20 times since then. I know I made the right call not taking a shot I'm not comfortable with but in the back of my head I keep thinking man that might be my only shot this season the way its going.
Posted By: 240z

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 03:01 AM

I'm sure you feel bad about letting him walk, but not nearly as bad as you would feel if you had taken a somewhat less than a "sure shot" and watched him run off wounded and not able to find him!
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 03:02 AM

This will haunt you for a while. I had something similar happen to me last year, and i still torture myself about my decision. Oh well.
Posted By: charliet

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 03:14 AM

As you get older its not the kill that counts . Its the anticipation and the solitude and nature . If you would have shot him it would all be over. Think how much fun and time you will be thinking about him now . Just my 2 cents
Posted By: cameron00

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 03:16 AM

I had what would have been my biggest deer by far at 40-50 yards last season, but he was standing facing straight at me and I didn't want to take a throat shot.

I only stopped him by yelling, so he definitely knew I was there and it was only gonna be a matter of time before he bolted. My hope was he'd turn to run, hesitate, and I'd take him then.

Nope, ran straight at me and then cut into the brush at full speed. Probably a low 150s 9 pt. Huge buck.

I still have nightmares of his face right in my crosshairs and that spread just taunting me.

I actually do regret it and wish I'd have shot because my buddy sold the place a month or so later.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 03:29 AM

It's called hunting for a reason. up
Posted By: copperhead

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 10:28 AM

Last week my fiancé and I were hunting her ranch in La Salle county. We had corned a sendero before daylight and just as it was getting light a huge 9 pt came out of the brush and started eating. After watching him for about 15 min at 75 yards, she decided not to shoot because she thought he needed another year to get mature and to spread those genes around. I didn't criticize her decision but respect her all that much more for making it. What it boiled down to, she wants to shoot one bigger than mine last year. This one actually was bigger. We'll be back to hunting again next weekend.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 04:10 PM

Had to pass on a nice buck last Saturday because he never gave me a clean shot.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: South Texas Reprieve or Remorse - 11/29/14 05:35 PM

It's part of it man, good call though. sometimes watchin is just as fun...

I watched this guy at 17 yards for 11 mins 2 weeks ago, he's down the list a few spots so was safe (for now) but he never gave me anything better than a chest shot, which i'm not taking with a bow.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum