Texas Hunting Forum

Mule deer question?

Posted By: Jkd106

Mule deer question? - 11/28/14 03:08 AM

Do mule deer stick in the same place like WT, or do they roam to summer ground and not return to same area? What I am wondering, is passing good young bucks gonna benefit in years to come?
Posted By: bp3

Re: Mule deer question? - 11/28/14 04:57 AM

I would think that if there is a food source and water they will stay in the same area. They range further than WT. The mulies around the Palo Duro canyon area will travel 2 miles to a wheat field.
Posted By: Western

Re: Mule deer question? - 11/28/14 02:14 PM

Depends on Summer time elevation I believe. Here In Texas I think they are pretty reliable year round, at least the couple places I have hunted them. In the Rocky States, they migrate for winter.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Mule deer question? - 11/28/14 04:06 PM

We have a decent size place, low pressure, and a couple of wheat fields. For as water, plenty of windmills and a few tanks that generally hold water. We have passed a lot of good young muleys over the past few years. We should see 4 or 5 mature bucks a year, but we are not. Just trying to figure out why.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Mule deer question? - 11/28/14 08:13 PM

We found that the mulies in the Palo Duro canyon didn't start rutting until until the middle of December which is a couple of weeks after the season. The big boys came out of the wood work ( canyons ) and were dumber than dirt with love. Heard they keep season like this so the wardens can work deer season then peasant season. Look at your lease in middle-late December.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum