Texas Hunting Forum

He is no monster

Posted By: East

He is no monster - 11/25/14 02:27 PM

But I think I finally found my target. Seen him a few weeks ago but with the equipment I had on me, and how thick it is out there I didn't take the shot. Now that I've seen him come back I think I will wait this one out.

Not bad for these parts

Posted By: Cobbler

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 02:29 PM

looks good to me as well. good luck.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 02:29 PM

Nice buck!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 02:50 PM

Nice buck. Is he a 9pt or a 10?
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 02:59 PM

good luck!
elmer
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 03:00 PM

Yep
Posted By: Weegs

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 03:02 PM

cheers Let us know when he is down!
Posted By: Payne

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 03:08 PM

majestic rifle
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 03:21 PM

trout Not enough "equipment on you" loser8
rifle

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
rifle

Hey, hey. I just didnt trust myself to make the shot, which is astounding because I think I had consumed a few beers. eeks333

Originally Posted By: jdk1985

I'll try to let you know this evening grin
Posted By: Navasot

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 03:35 PM

Soooooooooo you shoot him yet
Posted By: Western

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Soooooooooo you shoot him yet

Yeah? , been a couple hrs confused2

Nice buck BTW and it seems you have THF approval grin
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 04:19 PM

Good luck he's a nice one. rifle

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: East
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
rifle

Hey, hey. I just didnt trust myself to make the shot, which is astounding because I think I had consumed a few beers. eeks333

I'll try to let you know this evening grin

Great, let us know! Good luck.

And on the lack of trust in yourself ... roflmao

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 04:56 PM

Alright little back story on that. I had just mounted an ACOG scope on my AR and did what I read online about sighting the ACOG in at 36 yards on the 300 yardage marker. I never had time to actually test the theory at 100 yards, plus I was just running FMJs. I watched him for 1 hr at 115 yards. But just didnt have faith in my equipment I could drop him, and back behind that feeder the woods are THICK. I didnt wanna risk the shot and recovering him the next morning.

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 09:51 PM

Here we go
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 09:58 PM

Get him man!!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 10:12 PM

popcorn
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 10:20 PM

Make Daddy Proud roflmao
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 11:26 PM

Goodluck on getting him.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: He is no monster - 11/25/14 11:34 PM

Good luck.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 12:10 AM

? A person named East should still be hunting.

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 01:08 AM

Nada tonight. Missed at a big bobcat. Maybe why my resident does didn't show

Pissed

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 01:12 AM

Good looking buck. You hunting tomorrow too?

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 01:21 AM

Na won't be back till Saturday
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 01:33 AM

nice buck ..shoot him and post pics
Posted By: txshntr

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Make Daddy Proud roflmao

rofl

Good luck Saturday bud cheers
Posted By: 01Z-71

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 01:43 AM

Old chinese proverb say, "one who wait out monster, go home and eat crow". Just kiddin', BUST HIM!!! food

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 02:46 AM

You got this Man...

Stay positive, you sounded beat up. I couldn't even give you grief Amigo. He will be there Saturday
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 02:54 AM

Git errr dun
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 03:02 AM

As good as it gets. Knock him down. Good luck.

Oh, and that having faith in your equipment? "Cheer up, it gets a lot worse."

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 03:05 AM

That cat would of made an awesome mount. 3rd one I have ever seen and it was mount worthy

But I made to much noise and rushed the shot.

The buck will prob be back, but that cat.....that cat bang

I'll try to call him in after I harvest the buck. He had a great coat
Posted By: ImBillT

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 04:12 AM

It's a beautifu deer. Maybe a tad young ideally, but sometimes ideal isn't whvt it's cracked up to be. I'd love to have him on my wall for sure. Two things bother me though. 1st you're not very sighted in from the sounds of it. I'm not a fan of that, but at close you're probably fine. It just does t sit well with me. I mean that's a big part of confidence, and if you don't have confidence in your equipment, you end up getting lacks about everything because in the back of your mind it doesn't matter since your equipment isn't right. 2nd shooting FMJ's on a deer is just not a great idea, especially from a .223. I'm all about a .223 being enough gun, but I like a Partition, Barnes X, Lapua soft point, 64gr Winchester power point...something that will mushroom, but stay together better than a varmint bullet. I'm saying an FMJ can't kill a deer, but you have enough going against you already. I think I have yet another problem...I can't tell but you might be switching ammo without rechecking your POI. Sometimes there is very little difference, but sometimes there is a lot. I have a little whitetail load and a big deer/hog load for my 30-06... The heavy load shoots about 5.5" low and 3.5" left of the whitetail load at 100yds. You can bet I re-zero when I switch!!! Of course I don't use a blind or feeder and want to be confident to 400yds. If you gotta go with what you got, and how you're setup, then get as close as you can and hammer that shoulder! I prefer a double lung, but with an FMJ he'd probably run for miles. Hammer that shoulder and he shouldn't get far. The nice thing about an FMJ is that even from a .223 bone shouldn't phase it, you'll just need to hit some bone to drop him quickly. The same shot with most other bullets from a .223 would be a no no.

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: ImBillT
It's a beautifu deer. Maybe a tad young ideally, but sometimes ideal isn't whvt it's cracked up to be. I'd love to have him on my wall for sure. Two things bother me though. 1st you're not very sighted in from the sounds of it. I'm not a fan of that, but at close you're probably fine. It just does t sit well with me. I mean that's a big part of confidence, and if you don't have confidence in your equipment, you end up getting lacks about everything because in the back of your mind it doesn't matter since your equipment isn't right. 2nd shooting FMJ's on a deer is just not a great idea, especially from a .223. I'm all about a .223 being enough gun, but I like a Partition, Barnes X, Lapua soft point, 64gr Winchester power point...something that will mushroom, but stay together better than a varmint bullet. I'm saying an FMJ can't kill a deer, but you have enough going against you already. I think I have yet another problem...I can't tell but you might be switching ammo without rechecking your POI. Sometimes there is very little difference, but sometimes there is a lot. I have a little whitetail load and a big deer/hog load for my 30-06... The heavy load shoots about 5.5" low and 3.5" left of the whitetail load at 100yds. You can bet I re-zero when I switch!!! Of course I don't use a blind or feeder and want to be confident to 400yds. If you gotta go with what you got, and how you're setup, then get as close as you can and hammer that shoulder! I prefer a double lung, but with an FMJ he'd probably run for miles. Hammer that shoulder and he shouldn't get far. The nice thing about an FMJ is that even from a .223 bone shouldn't phase it, you'll just need to hit some bone to drop
him quickly. The same shot with most other bullets from a .223 would be a no no.

Uh....May wanna go back and start reading from the start amigo...Kinda morped 3 parts of the story into one...
A. he passed when VARMIT hunting and sighting in a new scope and the deer slipped in on him
B. Trust me hes tuned in there was a tad more to the incident..

Will let Matt take it from there
SMH
Posted By: Luke27

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 04:25 AM

Good luck out there, drop that dude!

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: ImBillT
It's a beautifu deer. Maybe a tad young ideally, but sometimes ideal isn't whvt it's cracked up to be. I'd love to have him on my wall for sure. Two things bother me though. 1st you're not very sighted in from the sounds of it. I'm not a fan of that, but at close you're probably fine. It just does t sit well with me. I mean that's a big part of confidence, and if you don't have confidence in your equipment, you end up getting lacks about everything because in the back of your mind it doesn't matter since your equipment isn't right. 2nd shooting FMJ's on a deer is just not a great idea, especially from a .223. I'm all about a .223 being enough gun, but I like a Partition, Barnes X, Lapua soft point, 64gr Winchester power point...something that will mushroom, but stay together better than a varmint bullet. I'm saying an FMJ can't kill a deer, but you have enough going against you already. I think I have yet another problem...I can't tell but you might be switching ammo without rechecking your POI. Sometimes there is very little difference, but sometimes there is a lot. I have a little whitetail load and a big deer/hog load for my 30-06... The heavy load shoots about 5.5" low and 3.5" left of the whitetail load at 100yds. You can bet I re-zero when I switch!!! Of course I don't use a blind or feeder and want to be confident to 400yds. If you gotta go with what you got, and how you're setup, then get as close as you can and hammer that shoulder! I prefer a double lung, but with an FMJ he'd probably run for miles. Hammer that shoulder and he shouldn't get far. The nice thing about an FMJ is that even from a .223 bone shouldn't phase it, you'll just need to hit some bone to drop
him quickly. The same shot with most other bullets from a .223 would be a no no.

Uh....May wanna go back and start reading from the start amigo...Kinda morped 3 parts of the story into one...
A. he passed when VARMIT hunting and sighting in a new scope and the deer slipped in on him
B. Trust me hes tuned in there was a tad more to the incident..

Will let Matt take it from there
SMH

Appreciate the input Bill, but RAB is right here. I wasnt technically deer hunting when I saw the buck the first time. Nothing wrong with deer hunting with a 223 but I prefer to do most of mine with a 30 cal.

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 02:55 PM

so you shoot him yet

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 02:57 PM

Im not going to until you buy a .308

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 02:58 PM

Well at least that buck will get some breeding done

Re: He is no monster - 11/26/14 03:11 PM

Im not going to until you buy a .308

roflmao

Okay
Problem solved, I just hung up with BM , your Mom and Pops and they said please skip Thanksgiving and go sit in the stand and shoot him
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: He is no monster - 11/27/14 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
Nice buck!
Originally Posted By: JRJ6
good luck!
elmer
Originally Posted By: Payne
majestic rifle
Posted By: 10 point

Re: He is no monster - 11/27/14 07:53 PM

He is big enough pull the trigger!
Posted By: cmc

Re: He is no monster - 11/27/14 10:26 PM

Forget that cat, I got lots of cats if you wanna try to call one later, just go shoot that buck.

Re: He is no monster - 11/28/14 12:53 AM

Thanks Chris. I appreciate it. Just really liked the colors on that guy

Last couple days he has been a no show on camera. I have a few more surrounding the plot, will have to check them.

I really like this camera but need to move it closer to feeder because it lacks quality in night time pics. Pretty confident these bucks fighting aren't my man but saying that he better not break anything in the mean time

Posted By: the444shooter

Re: He is no monster - 11/28/14 03:30 PM

East, I want to applaud your restraint with unfamiliar equipment and a questionable shooting scenario. Too many deer have been lost/hunts ruined from hunters that haven't exercised that restraint. Most of them believing that "boresighting" is the same as "sighted in" and "if I'm on at 25, I'm on at 200"--most of the time it's good enough, but the times that it isn't......well, those are the moments that leave us with a pit in our stomachs.

Hope you get another crack at him!
Posted By: jshouse

Re: He is no monster - 11/28/14 04:15 PM

good luck man, HOPE!

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 03:45 AM

You're after a cat? Did the buck quit showing up at the feeder when you filled it with meow mix?
Posted By: cameron00

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 04:08 AM

The giant balls of yarn he put out confused the buck.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 08:12 AM

Deer is sleeping off the catnip cat bate he ate that was put out for the bobcat. peep

Good luck on the buck and cat East

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 06:03 PM

Tonight's the night

Posted By: SWtexashunter

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 07:06 PM

drop him! aim

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 10:47 PM

Either couldn't hear it over wind or feeder didn't go off eek

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 10:52 PM

Most likely the wind
Posted By: wp75169

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 11:05 PM

Heard mine over the wind at 179 yards.

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 11:07 PM

While walking into the stand today I saw my first east Texas bald eagle. I have always heard there was a family of them that live near lake Holbrook. It flew over my head about 20' up

Big bird. Was interesting to see. Wish I would of had a camera ready
Posted By: wp75169

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 11:22 PM

It's that time. Wife said quit texting her.

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 11:24 PM

3 point in plot

Re: He is no monster - 11/29/14 11:41 PM

That's a spike on 1 side...shoot him, you have a tag!

Re: He is no monster - 11/30/14 01:14 AM

Well tonight was pretty intense.

At 5:30 there was activity every where. Does running out to plot to grab a quick snack before getting chased off by bucks. 6 points, 4s, the 3 and a spike with a battle wound on his lower jaw. Then I see 3 doe run across the trail behind the feeder and then boom. Big body buck walks across. I didnt have time to get the binos on him to confirm it was him, but basing by the size of the rack from 130 yards with bare eyes I think so. I started shaking so bad, lol, it was horrible. I have always hunted and just kinda took whatever came out that was mature and legal. Never specifically locked on to one buck so I think it intensified the fever about 1000%

Either way, all night all I got were sight of him 4-5' deep in the brush. Never got a confirmation.

Did check the TCs after hunt to get some better pics then those that were sent via text. The clarity is a tad better. I wish his brows were a little higher, but other than that I hope I can connect. I have a feeling I might have to wait for rut to die down.

Give me yalls opinion on this spike. I think he is just to young, but LO thinks once its 1.5 if he hasnt branched then it should be harvested. He wants to give the meat to an employee that wants some. He was the one tonight that had a battle wound.

And yes RM I could of taken the 3 point, but was waiting on my big boy

Re: He is no monster - 11/30/14 03:19 AM

When the big one shows up, verify with the scope, place crosshairs on where you want bullet and fire. Don't waste time with the Binos.

Re: He is no monster - 11/30/14 03:48 AM

Go get him rifle

Re: He is no monster - 11/30/14 02:11 PM

If LO wants the spike shot to give the meat to someone else... tell him to use his tag. Either that, or fill your freezer.

Good luck on the big buck.
Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: He is no monster - 11/30/14 03:13 PM

question, what is the theory behind the PVC pipe on the T-post? protection against falling off truck bed on to the posts?

Re: He is no monster - 11/30/14 05:13 PM

If LO wants the spike shot to give the meat to someone else... tell him to use his tag. Either that, or fill your freezer.

Forgot to mention he's going to tag it. Just curious if so young let him wait to see if he improves?

Originally Posted By: lubbockdave
question, what is the theory behind the PVC pipe on the T-post? protection against falling off truck bed on to the posts?

Yes fill feeders from truck bed. Would rather have broken rib then puncture wound.

Re: He is no monster - 12/06/14 11:33 PM

3-4 morning hunts and same with evenings and still no luck

He hasn't been on TC since doe weekend.

Maybe the other neighbor got him. Will call Monday and ask

Re: He is no monster - 12/06/14 11:46 PM

Spike is 1.5. Doesn't hurt anything for the owner to take him up

Good luck. Don't let the camera discourage you, they don't catch everything.
Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: He is no monster - 12/06/14 11:54 PM

Is he dead yet?

Re: He is no monster - 12/24/14 09:21 PM

Well after several weeks of hunting and checking TCs he hasnt showed back until the last couple days. I am starting to wonder if is he is 3.5 or 4.5. Four I will feel okay taking him (if he presents a shot).

Either way have the next 4 days and will give it a go. Probably mostly evening hunting. I still have no activity on cameras in the mornings. Strange

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AND GUESS WHO REARED HIS STINKING FACE JUST TO TOY WITH ME!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Payne

Re: He is no monster - 12/24/14 09:33 PM

lmao
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: He is no monster - 12/25/14 01:00 AM

Get them!

Re: He is no monster - 12/25/14 01:02 PM

Good Luck up
I feel the pain
Posted By: Bengoin

Re: He is no monster - 12/25/14 01:26 PM

Nice deer but he'd be cool to see next year
Posted By: therancher

Re: He is no monster - 12/25/14 04:21 PM

Forgot to mention he's going to tag it. Just curious if so young let him wait to see if he improves?

Yes fill feeders from truck bed. Would rather have broken rib then puncture wound.

Kinda hard for the GW to prove you used someone else's tag on a deer you shot.... Unless of course you post it on social media for god and everyone to see... trout

Re: He is no monster - 12/25/14 04:48 PM

Never said I was the one that was going To take it. LO hunts with me a lot

Re: He is no monster - 12/26/14 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

Kinda hard for the GW to prove you used someone else's tag on a deer you shot.... Unless of course you post it on social media for god and everyone to see... trout

rofl Does read like that...
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: He is no monster - 12/26/14 09:59 PM

Good luck bud. Both bucks look nice.

That spike looks young to me...but then again, i just shot one that could be its twin! lol

popcorn up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum