Texas Hunting Forum

Drinking in the stand?

Posted By: Txslobberknocker

Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:07 PM

How many of y'all do it? I'm not sure if I want to in my archery stands. I do wear a harness and a life line though.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:13 PM

Yeah, it's just a bad idea.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:18 PM

Yep, drink coffee and hot chocolate
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:21 PM

I'm of the type that is pretty staunch about "guns and alcohol don't mix" I won't have a single drink while hunting or shooting. I also don't think it's responsible to attempt to shoot an animal bow or gun while intoxicated or drinking. It will do nothing but make it harder to make a good clean shot. Save the alcohol for camp.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:28 PM

Not when deer hunting. Will drink a beer or 2 while dove hunting though.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:47 PM

wont drink anything while in the stand..
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I'm of the type that is pretty staunch about "guns and alcohol don't mix" I won't have a single drink while hunting or shooting. I also don't think it's responsible to attempt to shoot an animal bow or gun while intoxicated or drinking. It will do nothing but make it harder to make a good clean shot. Save the alcohol for camp.

Well said
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:49 PM

Beer is wonderful. Deer hunting is wonderful. Drinking beer on an afternoon hunt is wonderful.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:55 PM

Yes Please

A person should know how many beers they can have before they become an idiot, if you become an idiot on 2-3 beers you don't drink enough cheers
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Beer is wonderful. Deer hunting is wonderful. Drinking beer on an afternoon hunt is wonderful.

Well said
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/21/14 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Harley7892
Yep, drink coffee and hot chocolate

Coffee!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:26 AM

This thread is perhaps a good reason for so many stories of ground shrinkage eek2
Posted By: Txslobberknocker

Thanks guys, might get some baileys for my coffee then. The mornings hunt is looking fun. Gonna keep it safe though.
Posted By: Ichabod Fighter

^^^^This^^^^

I really enjoy about two ice cold beers while I'm in my blind.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:28 AM

A cooler in my box blind is a must.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:29 AM

Have not drank a beer while hunting in a long time. You can make some poor decision under the influence.
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Have not drank a beer while hunting in a long time. You can make some poor decision under the influence.

Smart man.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:40 AM

I'll have a few beers in the stand if it's warm enough during deer season. In the summer hog, coyote, and axis hunting a cooler of beer is a must for afternoon sits. Same with dove hunting.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:42 AM

A flask of good bourbon helps me when it's cold.
Posted By: don k

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:47 AM

I make poor decisions even with out beer.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
I make poor decisions even with out beer.

roflmao
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly

You see? Despite ARs we have a lot in common.
Posted By: Hartca

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 02:15 AM

I keep an ice chest in my stand.. literally.
Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:18 AM

I'll take a few cold ones on a warm day. I don't take no cooler to the stand.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:26 AM

Water and coffee!!!
Posted By: Western

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Water and coffee!!!

Ditto up
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:46 AM

No drinking alcohol in the blind for me. I drink when back at camp
Posted By: KG68

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly

No such thing as a bad decision when you've had a few. grin
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:58 AM

I guess you can color me a communist. I take my son with me and I'm not going to A) set that example for him B) tolerate others with a beer in one hand and a gun in another. H%ll I don't trust some people with a gun and no alcohol. I'm all for a cold one after but bad things happen more often when you push your luck.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: DENTPUSHA
I'll take a few cold ones on a warm day. I don't take no cooler to the stand.

Yep me to but not always drinking beer mostly lunch and maybe a few ( 5 or 6 ) beers just in case up

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
I guess you can color me a communist. I take my son with me and I'm not going to A) set that example for him B) tolerate others with a beer in one hand and a gun in another. H%ll I don't trust some people with a gun and no alcohol. I'm all for a cold one after but bad things happen more often when you push your luck.

Self-righteous maybe, but not a communist
Posted By: 68A

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:01 AM

up
Posted By: 68A

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:04 AM

Self righteous because he chooses to set the example for his son?
Posted By: Chico Kid

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:04 AM

I don't drink any more in the stand but I dont drink any less either!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:26 AM

Guns and alcohol don't mix, and I won't hunt with anybody that thinks they do.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:31 AM

Tell ME about it!...It does make the evening sit a tad more enjoyable, however.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:35 AM

In the stand nothing but green grizzly. There will be some cold shiner ready as soon as I get out though.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:58 AM

Beer is wonderful. Deer hunting is wonderful.

But I just don't drink alcohol while hunting - it's not that I don't trust myself (though I don't think it's a good idea), I just don't even think about it. Too busy enjoying the outdoors. Hell sometimes I'm so excited to get to the lease I space bringing alcohol with me! But when I do and I'm done hunting I enjoy a few (k maybe a few plus some more) cocktails by the fire.
Posted By: RJDCobra

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 06:10 AM

X2 only reason I bought a Yeti roadie for the evening hunts.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
[quote=stxranchman]Have not drank a beer while hunting in a long time. You can make some poor decision under the influence.

There's a reason most people on here respect STX...and it's because he's a wise man...

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Yep! I agree!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 06:20 AM

worthless

popcorn
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 08:33 AM

Bottle water or Iced Tea...never any alcohol ....the 2 don't mix. Just like drinking and driving ,if you hurt or kill someone while under the influence (even if by accident ) you will and should be doing jail time...
Now back at camp or home, that's a different story.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: 68A

Self righteous because he chooses to set the example for his son?

Oh thats just my beer talkin...actually im up rocking the youngest of my 3 kiddos back to sleep right now and you will be glad to know im not drinking and rocking...yet! hammer
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 12:34 PM

I keep a gallon of drinking water in the stand. Not the brown water. That's for camp
Posted By: ScottA

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 01:19 PM

Alcohol and high-powered rifles don't mix. Period.
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 01:33 PM

plenty of time for a cold one back at the camp. my Dad always waited, and I do the same. We will take a cooler when we fish offshore, but a limit of 2 cold ones each for the ride back to the dock.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 01:33 PM

Just Coffee SVP! Save the alcohol for the campfire.
Posted By: jlsbassman

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 01:51 PM

I have in the past when I was younger and knew way more than I do now. But now I don't believe guns and drinking go together.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
[quote=stxranchman]Have not drank a beer while hunting in a long time. You can make some poor decision under the influence.

There's a reason most people on here respect STX...and it's because he's a wise man...

Yep! I agree!
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:21 PM

no es bueno

Booze and gunpowder do not mix well.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:27 PM

Actually alcohol calms the nerves and you have a better chance making a steady shot with a few beers in you... I use to have new shooters that couldn't qualify go have a beer or two and come back to try again... all would pass... just don't get plastered and be responsible..

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:28 PM

yawn

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:36 PM

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:42 PM

roflmao

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:45 PM

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:46 PM

Now that's actually a true statement... peep

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Actually alcohol calms the nerves and you have a better chance making a steady shot with a few beers in you... I use to have new shooters that couldn't qualify go have a beer or two and come back to try again... all would pass... just don't get plastered and be responsible..

Navasot there are about a jillion studies and YouTube videos that prove that theory to be, uhhh, invalid. Nobody does anything better that requires any level of skill and/or dexterity under the influence. Your folks passed because they concentrated/focused more the second time around and it was not a brand new experience to them. That is pretty common on "re-trys" in any activity.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 03:50 PM

interesting that the question even got asked.....I do drink, but it's back at the house or camp when the guns and bows are put up.
rational thought starts going out the window as the alcohol starts flowing.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 04:23 PM

I know my limits and if ive had too many, i only shoot at black panthers. No reason to be all sanctimonious fellas. OP, i hope u enjoyed your Baileys.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Navasot there are about a jillion studies and YouTube videos that prove that theory to be, uhhh, invalid. Nobody does anything better that requires any level of skill and/or dexterity under the influence. Your folks passed because they concentrated/focused more the second time around and it was not a brand new experience to them. That is pretty common on "re-trys" in any activity.

they had plenty of re trys... this would usually be around round 3-5 on a normal one. I bet I could find plenty of Youtube experiments that went either way also grin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 04:30 PM

Actually alcohol calms the nerves and you have a better chance making a steady shot with a few beers in you... I use to have new shooters that couldn't qualify go have a beer or two and come back to try again... all woould pass... just don't get plastered and be responsible..

But those studies are on people that have no talant to begin with not ones who know what they are doing
Like beck when I used to play pool I would get plowed and have the best game of my life and walk away with $$$$ to show it

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 04:33 PM

Still amazes me though... I don't think iv ever been gone enough to not know right from wrong.. maybe cuz Im sleeping by then.... people make bad decisions every day while they are sober too... hard for me to blame someones actions on something second hand.. they already had the dumb in them is the way I see it
Posted By: klp

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 04:43 PM

occasionally I'll take a beer with me to the stand (if i can't handle one beer then i don't deserve to hunt). Drinking usually picks up after we get something.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:03 PM

There have been some monumental drunk posts on here that would prove some of you wrong. cheers popcorn
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:21 PM

I'm not being sanctimonious. We all follow examples that are set. That includes young and older people alike. Where some may have the tolerance and discipline to have a couple and stop, others do not. What you do on your own is your business. When a person that's not as responsible sees someone else having a couple while hunting, it makes it OK for them as well. I've been on a lease where it was an acceptable practice and would purposely go when no one else was there. I got off after the first year when a guy came stumbling out of the cabin at 10:00 AM with his 308 on his shoulder and missed the first step. I'm not referring to anyone here and not suggesting that anyone here does that but others, that are not as responsible, see that it's OK and that can lead to some very irresponsible folks doing some dangerous things. That's why we have defined laws that include limits for drinking and driving.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
Bottle water or Iced Tea...never any alcohol ....the 2 don't mix.

I Agee 100% - water and alcohol don't mix. Good way to ruin a single malt.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977

Actually alcohol calms the nerves and you have a better chance making a steady shot with a few beers in you... I use to have new shooters that couldn't qualify go have a beer or two and come back to try again... all woould pass... just don't get plastered and be responsible..

But those studies are on people that have no talant to begin with not ones who know what they are doing
Like beck when I used to play pool I would get plowed and have the best game of my life and walk away with $$$$ to show it

Now I don't always agree with Navasot, and I'm not condoning drinking and shooting, but I've personally observed old square heads at a schuetzen verein meet not shoot well, get mad, have a COUPLE beers, shoot again and win the thing. I'm no research scientist though.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 07:11 PM

TFF Caribou said it.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 07:40 PM

I never do, in the morning.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 08:05 PM

Coffee in the morning beer in the evening. grin
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/22/14 11:32 PM

Excuses , nothing but excuses for unacceptable behavior. Firearms and alcohol never mix muyloco

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 12:02 AM

I sat in the stand this afternoon. Just me, my camera and a few beers. Is that alright with everyone?

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 12:04 AM

Since texting has been found to cause as many accidents and deaths as drinking should hunters quite texting while hunting?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 12:15 AM

I sat in the stand this afternoon. Just me, my camera and a few beers. Is that alright with everyone?

Of Course it is!

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 12:22 AM

Only if you walked to and from the stand. No drinking, texting and driving while hunting. grin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 01:05 AM

I concede. Switching to drugs.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 03:09 AM

I almost always bring a couple of beers to the stand (2-3). Occasionally I will bring several. 12+\- but when I do bring several it's beer, binoculars, camera, and a good book. No gun at all.

I find that most people who have an issue with this are those who drink 2-3 or more drinks and do stupid things. The fact that some have no self control should not be a reason for them to condem those who do.

I know people who drink twice a year maybe and wind up in jail for DWI or in a fight. Those same people think I'm an idiot for drinking. Although I've never had a DWI, nor do I drink and drive, nor have I been in a fight while drinking. Ever.

If your an idiot then your an idiot. It's not my fault.

Posted By: doublez

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 04:35 AM

I drank six beer in the stand this afternoon and it was glorious.
Posted By: doublez

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 04:36 AM

Oh, and I didn't shoot anyone or anything.
Posted By: Cevin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 05:35 AM

For those of you young men and women that read these post to learn from the more senior hunters on here. DONT LISTEN TO THESE GUYS! This has to be the absolute dumbest topic I've ever read. If you think for a second that consuming alcohol of any amount while in control of a DEADLY weapon is in any way intelligent, put your weapon on the floor, walk away from it and quit hunting!

Leave the drinking at the cabin.

Go to your designated hunting spot sober and always always always put safety first.

Most of all, while you're sitting there, thank God for creating the beauty around you and thank a soldier for the freedom to do so!
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Beer is wonderful. Deer hunting is wonderful.

But I just don't drink alcohol while hunting - it's not that I don't trust myself (though I don't think it's a good idea), I just don't even think about it. Too busy enjoying the outdoors. Hell sometimes I'm so excited to get to the lease I space bringing alcohol with me! But when I do and I'm done hunting I enjoy a few (k maybe a few plus some more) cocktails by the fire.
same here if I am fishing a tourney I forget to eat or anything but fish. And I crack a beer when I pull into my drive coming home from work like routine. Just never crosses my mind like stated to the guy that takes one or two that should not hurt any adult but an empty 12 pack I have a big problem.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 01:34 PM

There have been some monumental drunk posts on here that would prove some of you wrong. cheers popcorn

I like apples and cap-i-TAN crunch.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 02:28 PM

Alcohol and gunpowder don't mix, period. Campfires and alcohol are a perfect combination!

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 02:41 PM

Humm, let me see if I understand this. It is bad if you are in a stand by yourself and have a beer. Is it because you might shoot an illegal deer in a AR county because of poor judgement? Or because you might harm yourself? But it is alright to go to camp where there are numerous hunters all with guns within reach and get sh*t faced. Does not make a lot of sense to me, but what do I know.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 02:54 PM

Humm, let me see if I understand this. It is bad if you are in a stand by yourself and have a beer. Is it because you might shoot an illegal deer in a AR county because of poor judgement? Or because you might harm yourself? But it is alright to go to camp where there are numerous hunters all with guns within reach and get sh*t faced. Does not make a lot of sense to me, but what do I know.

I have guns in my home, doesn't mean I don't drink at home. Hunting means you will at least to some extent be handling that firearm. And likely shooting it. Your guns shouldn't be at arms reach at camp, and they should probably be unloaded. The couple deer camps I've been to have had those rules in place.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 03:14 PM

This is amusing to read. We had a guy on our lease that could not hunt without drinking. He would start drinking beer about 10:00 in the morning and continue throughout the day. I helped him with his set and put him in a great spot.
But with most drinkers they have to smoke as well. And they become lazy and loud. He would always complain that he was not in a good spot and he never saw any nice bucks. When observing his hunting behavior he would park his truck right next to the major game trail and I would find numerous cigarette butts around and leading up to his stand. Thank goodness he left the lease this year and I will make sure he never returns.
I put a new THF member to the lease in that spot this year and went over where to park and how to approach the stand just like I did for the beer drinker. After his second sit in the stand he had a very nice mature buck on the ground.
I like a cold beer with buds at lunch or around the campfire. I never have thought it to be a good idea to drink several drinks and go hunting. To each their own.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 03:24 PM

I DO NOT drink in the stand.

Well, 10 beers.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 03:33 PM

I take Gatorade and a water and a few dr peppers. The Gatorade bottle serves a greater purpose after I've been in the stand an hour or so. We've got guys on our lease that drink on location. I don't care what they do in their area. I'm Not a drinker so it doesn't cross my mind to drink in the blind.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 04:19 PM

Nada.
Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 05:05 PM

No you might make poor decisions

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 05:09 PM

So no drinking in the stand but at a camp fire it's ok. What if a person falls into a fire? Most hunters I know can handle the alcohol and most tend to drink where they please when they want.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 05:43 PM

Grown [censored] man that can't handle his alcohol shouldn't be drinking anywhere. Grown [censored] man that has some self control should be able to have a beer wherever he dang well pleases.

Just my 2cents

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 05:48 PM

I like the other hunters on my lease to drink a lot, they usually kill something that they would not have if they weren't drinking. They head home early and I get to hunt the whole ranch all by myself. cheers

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 06:05 PM

I like the other hunters on my lease to drink a lot, they usually kill something that they would not have if they weren't drinking. They head home early and I get to hunt the whole ranch all by myself. cheers

That is the opposite of a night out at the bar...you don't want to be there looking for your trophy at closing time

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Grown [censored] man that can't handle his alcohol shouldn't be drinking anywhere. Grown [censored] man that has some self control should be able to have a beer wherever he dang well pleases.

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 07:12 PM

Seen a lot of ground shrinkage due to some Boys being a little Snookered roflmao

We have a left handed Aggie on our place that will always swear it "looked" mature and the minimum 130" every year

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 07:17 PM

I ain't reading all of these pages it's simple ..U have the do's and the do nots...the Methodists and the Baptists ...
You know how you keep a Baptist from drinking all your Beer..Bring two and they will watch each other rofl

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 07:18 PM

We had a guy that used to see the "king daddy " every year. Never got a shot on him but go a glimpse of him each each, " he was 3'x3' at least.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/23/14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Yessir.

Self righteous people think that when somebody drinks that automatically means they are going to get drunk as a skunk and start shooting everywhere. If that's the case then it would be illegal to consume alcohol anywhere except when you are confined to your house for an extended period of time.

Not a damn thing wrong with having a few beers if you are a responsible person.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 01:35 AM

Been known to.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 01:38 AM

If you are dangerous after 3-4 beers, I don't want to hunt around you sober. I currently drive 30 minutes to get to my blind, so there is no drinking before or after.

But if I'm at the ranch, won't go to the stand without beer.

Have to know your limits.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 01:46 AM

I'll often take a few beers, no more than 3, for an evening hunt. I can guarantee you that it doesn't impair my ability to shoot accurately or judge deer.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: jlsbassman
I have in the past when I was younger and knew way more than I do now. But now I don't believe guns and drinking go together.

That about sums it up for me
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 02:16 AM

Hold my beer and watch this...

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 02:22 AM

I quit drinking and hunting because I felt it dulled my experiences in the field. I hunt to get away from the day to day and taking the edge off was counter productive because I want the edge when I'm outdoors.

Drinking and hunting has never affected my ability to safely handle a firearm. It did not make me a better shot but it did not make me unsafe.

If a person wants to drink beer in the stand while hunting, that's his business. I've done it so I can't judge them. I just choose not to do it anymore, but for reasons other than safety

I personally think that too many people get loaded at dove shoots though. Those are more dangerous than any deer hunt

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Just hope I am not the one telling you "that buck is a monster"...cause you will be disappointed grin severely disappointed. clap

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:12 AM

Just hope I am not the one telling you "that buck is a monster"...cause you will be disappointed grin severely disappointed. clap

Beer goggles happen in more places than just the dancehall

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:13 AM

Beer goggles happen in more places than just the dancehall

Next statement will be..."you haven't shot yet?"

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:21 AM

I've been reading a lot of magazines you won't be able to fool me

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:22 AM

I've been reading a lot of magazines you won't be able to fool me

loser8
Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:20 AM

For all the same reasons you shouldn't drink and drive, it's a really bad idea to mix guns and alcohol.
Some of the guys on my lease will take a beer or two out with them for the evening hunt. I wish they wouldn't, but they don't take a cooler full as has been discussed (promoted?) here by some.
Gun-related accidents happen easy enough as it is without the added contributing factor of lowering your inhibitions/judgment/concentration/focus with even just a few cold ones.... (And Pal, if you think 3 or 4 beers "hell, don't affect me none" then buddy, you've got a problem, and your hunting partners are taking more risk in being around you than they realize.) Think about it. Be the voice of reason at your lease. The life you save May be your own.....

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 06:23 AM

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Grown a$$ man drinking beer with one hand and a gun in the other has no self control. Just my 2cents

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Yessir.

Self righteous people think that when somebody drinks that automatically means they are going to get drunk as a skunk and start shooting everywhere. If that's the case then it would be illegal to consume alcohol anywhere except when you are confined to your house for an extended period of time.

Not a damn thing wrong with having a few beers if you are a responsible person.

offtopic No one said you could not drink.

back Just not with a firearm in his hand

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 06:47 AM

Lightweights bolt
Posted By: Bengoin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 01:55 PM

I like to take a couple to the blind, however it causes problems such as "what goes in must come out".
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 02:34 PM

Great now we get to hear how pot is better than alcohol.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest

Great now we get to hear how pot is better than alcohol.

you mean you can't have both? bolt

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 02:50 PM

yawn

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Grown a$$ man drinking beer with one hand and a gun in the other has no self control. Just my 2cents

Why do I keep clicking on this ridiculous thread? Do some of you folks honestly believe there is no difference between having a few beers over the course of a 2-4 hour hunt and getting hammered? Someone on here actually suggested that even if you have self-control you should not have a beer in the stand because some other idiot might take that "example" and use it as an excuse to get plowed. And the guy I just quoted...really? No self control??? It's not that I have to have a beer. It's not even that I need a beer. It's that I'm sitting in a box blind doing what I love on my ranch, watching animals and the sunset and enjoying the wonderful, refreshing taste of a frosty brew. Good news is we don't have to hunt together.

Amen.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 02:58 PM

I bet you folks don't drink beer when you fish either. stir

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

THAT IS SO UNSAFE!! you could end up keeping a whole cooler of hardheads for dinner...

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:03 PM

yawn
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:07 PM

Some peoples chillren lol. I have no problem with what anyone does as long as they arent acting a fool bothering me or mine.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:13 PM

I used to take 3 or 4 beers with me but don't anymore. Heck, I seldom drink beer now. However, I felt like it was my land and I was the only one there. Or, I certainly better be the only one. The back stop is a fairly good sized hill. And, I still reserve the right to make all the decisions on what I do on my own damn land. Well, my Wife gets in quite a few votes or tries to.

I don't see a whole lot of difference in that and golfers dropping by the 19th hole for a couple of drinks and then driving home. I believe I'm more scared of people who have some drinks and then get behind the wheel. And, admittedly, I used to do that.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I used to take 3 or 4 beers with me but don't anymore. Heck, I seldom drink beer now. However, I felt like it was my land and I was the only one there. Or, I certainly better be the only one. The back stop is a fairly good sized hill. And, I still reserve the right to make all the decisions on what I do on my own damn land. Well, my Wife gets in quite a few votes or tries to.

I don't see a whole lot of difference in that and golfers dropping by the 19th hole for a couple of drinks and then driving home. I believe I'm more scared of people who have some drinks and then get behind the wheel. And, admittedly, I used to do that.

That there is a fact. I live close to our country club and replace a mailbox about every other year. One sot (whom I know well) actually complained my mailbox was too close to the road. I explained to him that maybe him getting his drunk a** behind the wheel might just be the problem. smile
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Coffee in the morning beer in the evening. grin

X2

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 03:55 PM

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Why do I keep clicking on this ridiculous thread? Do some of you folks honestly believe there is no difference between having a few beers over the course of a 2-4 hour hunt and getting hammered? Someone on here actually suggested that even if you have self-control you should not have a beer in the stand because some other idiot might take that "example" and use it as an excuse to get plowed. And the guy I just quoted...really? No self control??? It's not that I have to have a beer. It's not even that I need a beer. It's that I'm sitting in a box blind doing what I love on my ranch, watching animals and the sunset and enjoying the wonderful, refreshing taste of a frosty brew. Good news is we don't have to hunt together.

Amen.

I don't need a beer, I don't have to have a beer. So I drink one while holding a firearm. Makes since confused2
Amen is the last word loved ones hear after a fatal accident involving guns and alcohol. Good Luck

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:05 PM

The drinking mindset is strong in America. Just the "cool" thing to do. Witness all the photos a lot of guys take with their beers as the subject.

Took a monumental effort by MADD to get the drinking and driving laws/enforcement to have any teeth. Guys made the same arguments about those too.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:06 PM

roflmao I make my own luck.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:15 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:22 PM

I don't get hammered, but I like to enjoy a beer or cocktail in the stand, it's part of the relaxation of being outdoors to me.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:32 PM

roflmao Like I said, good news is we don't have to hunt together. Good luck to you as well.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:39 PM

roflmao Like I said, good news is we don't have to hunt together.

agreed smile

Good day to you sir.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:46 PM

That there is a fact. I live close to our country club and replace a mailbox about every other year. One sot (whom I know well) actually complained my mailbox was too close to the road. I explained to him that maybe him getting his drunk a** behind the wheel might just be the problem. smile

Sue him

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:47 PM

I've totalled two Golf Carts so I have no comment..But it was in low light conditions

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Sue him

My fees are too high.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 05:01 PM

The drinking mindset is strong in America. Just the "cool" thing to do. Witness all the photos a lot of guys take with their beers as the subject.

Took a monumental effort by MADD to get the drinking and driving laws/enforcement to have any teeth. Guys made the same arguments about those too.

Made a many Attny's rich
Posted By: MUZZBUZZ

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/24/14 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

THAT IS SO UNSAFE!! you could end up keeping a whole cooler of hardheads for dinner...

Whats wrong with eating hardheads?? I make a fine hardhead filet with French fries and a side salad.. eat the fries and salad.. feed the hardhead filets to the cat!!
Posted By: Someone

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 11:32 AM

so true when I was a kid we would go skateboard at the abandoned Texas Pipeline Skateboard park that was at Crossview and Richmond in Houston where the stupid post office is now and we could skate over the the gas station and Fondren and Richmond and they would usually sell us beer......even back then when I could pound them down after a beer or two my skating was way worse than before

these days when I drink even a couple in spite of my size I am a major lightweight and it makes me want to tinkle on anything and everything like an out of control pack dog.....there would not be a deer in 5 miles of me and I would probably be letting it fly out of the stand window or door as well

maybe back at camp if you have critters that are dangerous or stupid coons that get in everything and it is close friends that you trust and that don't engage in machismo talk around the camp fire one person can keep a gun to shoot a coyote or a coon that might wander in or hogs......but no getting it out to look at it or admire it or anything

generally guns and alcohol are a one or the other thing for me

PS no eating hardheads in my circle...
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 12:23 PM

99.9% of the time I'm in a deer stand I'm just watching deer anyway. I do pull the gun up for pig shooting mostly. I did however have a hunting accident while shooting a pig and it was a bad one. Instead of my steady aim that blows the guts outta them and lets them run to the other side of the fence, I had one too many and shot him in the head. bang

No hardheads
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 12:54 PM

I read that Larry Kelm, an Aggie linebacker who was part of the wrecking crew that shut down Auburn and Bo Jackson in the Cotton Bowl was killed this weekend in a hunting accident. The news release says that firearms were NOT involved.

Not to jump to conclusions, but my first thought was that alcohol may have played a role. Or not; we'll see....

Edit: I just read that he was in a deer stand that was struck by lightning. So alcohol may not have played a role.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:03 PM

So sorry to hear that Dave.

P.S.Started to pack for AZ sheep country. Getting real now. smile
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:05 PM

I agree that guns and alcohol don't mix together. If your going to drink and handle firearms you need to give some serious thought to what can happen if things don't go according to plan. If your going to do this, I suggest you always do it when your by yourself, that way if you shoot yourself, your the one that has to deal with the outcome if your still alive to do so.

Because I know if I'm the one getting shot by you, there will be no forgiveness because you had some drinks. There are no excuses that are acceptable for a lethal weapon killing or injuring someone. I would sue you for everything you had and then some, or expect my survivors to. Regardless of you being family, or a life long friend. So if your going to do this, accept the risk that comes with the decision. Is it worth it?
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:06 PM

Over half the people I've ever been in a hunting camp with were only there to get drunk.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:08 PM

nothing is going to change mindset either way...I will not hunt with anyone that partakes, not even in camp or while in boat fishing. I use to drink just as much as anyone, but never any of the above.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Over half the people I've ever been in a hunting camp with were only there to get drunk.

Yeah I outgrew the "Look at me, I'm so proud of my beer, watch me get drunk" crowd real quick. So I got my own place.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:34 PM

So sorry to hear that Dave.

P.S.Started to pack for AZ sheep country. Getting real now. smile

What are your hunt dates? Do you have a good spotting scope? You're welcome to borrow my Kowa 82mm Prominar. I also have a 15x60 Docter binocular that must be mounted on a tripod. These are great for the all-day glassing ya'll will do.

Be sure and take along a little cushion to sit on while glassing, an "a$$ gasket", as an old guide once described it.

Good Luck!
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:40 PM

Doc,

Alcohol was not involved and his oldest son is a member of the forum.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: A.B.
Doc,

Sad deal A.B.

I fear the Lightning, hate it I got caught in Ozona this weekend in it..

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:46 PM

Thanks buddy!

I'm leaving 12/7 and we will start hunting 12/10. Hunt is technically scheduled to be over by 21st but Larry says we will go as long as it takes to locate a good ram. He is confident we will accomplish that by the 21st but said we are in for the long haul if need be even if that means hunting till the 23rd and/or coming back after Christmas.

I'm taking my Swaro ATS 20-60 scope and 10X42 ELs. Larry says he, Stephanie, and Harry Weeks all have high end optics (including big high power binocs) so I'm thinking we're set there. Thank you for the kind offer though. smile

I've got a thin but tough/packable seat pad but probably going to get me a more substantial one.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: A.B.
Doc,

Sad deal A.B.

I fear the Lightning, hate it I got caught in Ozona this weekend in it..

I was in it too and was not a fan...got down and rode it out in the truck.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 01:53 PM

That's twice now Jasb...First one was in Roosevelt and on a Exotic hunt and thank GOD the guide came and got me as it was coming straight down and sounded like I was taking fire...and I had NO ride bang
The other was on that lease in Ozona I got no signal to check Radar and it came off my left flank with no warning and was on me hard and fast and AGAIN a buddy dropped me off on his way out so stuck..not fun
sorry back so they can argue

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 02:00 PM

That's twice now Jasb...First one was in Roosevelt and on a Exotic hunt and thank GOD the guide came and got me as it was coming straight down and sounded like I was taking fire...and I had NO ride bang
The other was on that lease in Ozona I got no signal to check Radar and it came off my left flank with no warning and was on me hard and fast and AGAIN a buddy dropped me off on his way out so stuck..not fun
sorry back so they can argue

If I had had a few more beers in my bag it wouldnt of been so bad stir
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 02:39 PM

Interestingly, I don't drink while on the deer stand (I ground hunt only), but am not opposed to hunting with those that do. For years, I would drink a beer or a snort of whiskey while passing the time, as it helped me control my urge to kill every squirrel or blue jay that pestered me. Never any worrys from anyone I have ever hunted with, well except from some uneducated city fellar that were sober (but that is another story.)

However, a dozen years ago, a young man that I knew, was sitting up in a tree stand (20 feet off the ground). I was visiting his grandfather when the call came in "go to the hospital its bad" from his hysterical mother. The young man cratered his skull and broke his neck while leaning down to get another beer from his mini ice chest. Seeing the sadness on the faces of his family (grandparents, parents, wife, young children) left a lasting impression with me...Since that date, I have not crawled up in a tree stand nor consumed any alcohol while on stand.

For me, it is a personal choice, not to drink and hunt...But I also don't rant about it either...Frankly, I won't hunt with folks that worry me when they pick up a weapon, regardless of whether they have had a drink or not. There are plenty of folks that I will not share a camp with if a weapon is within 2 miles, even if they are stone cold sober. Just saying, pick the right hunting partners and you don't have to worry about what their personal preferences on drinking/hunting are or aren't.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 02:54 PM

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more.

Yea, you see this mentality BEING played out in DISNEY movies ALL the time....of course, the ANIMALS CAN talk and are considered the only "PEOPLE with a brain"....LOL

Some people just need to get a grip on reality...alcohol and hunting can and do mix, very frequently in fact...Sounds like a bunch of MADD execs and bible thumpers trying to make a stand...instead of logic and reality...incidentally, animals typically don't speak english and NEVER act as portrayed in Disney movies...Sorry fellas, hate to break your hearts.... violin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 03:52 PM

Fact of the matter is that all of you guys claiming its no big deal, etc,, would be at the front of the line holding the noose and screaming left and right if Two-Snort Bob had a firearm accident in camp and shot your wife/child/dog etc.

But keep thinking your cool and it will never happen to you...

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 03:53 PM

Fact of the matter is that all of you guys claiming its no big deal, etc,, would be at the front of the line holding the noose and screaming left and right if Two-Snort Bob had a firearm accident in camp and shot your wife/child/dog etc.

Exactly

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 03:56 PM

Exactly

now that's funny
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 03:59 PM

Exactly

now that's funny
clap

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 04:36 PM

Are you against people going to a restaurant to eat and having a beer or margarita?

You'd better be if you're against drinking in the stand.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 05:00 PM

Are you against people going to a restaurant to eat and having a beer or margarita?

To me, that's different. I get there are many, many who keep it at at drink or two and leave it at that. But there are also many for whom that "drink or two" with dinner turns into 6 or 8 drinks once they start drinking. And then they crawl in their car and drive home.

Same way with drinking and carrying a weapon. In my experience, the guy who just has to have his beer with him while hunting more often than not is the same guy for whom those two beers turns into 6 or 8. And pretty soon you've got an impaired guy who thinks he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof. In short, a guy who just has to have a drink available at all times and cannot just wait until the rifles are put away is a big red flag to me. I used put up with that crap because I was young and dumb. Not anymore.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 05:08 PM

To me, that's different. I get there are many, many who keep it at at drink or two and leave it at that. But there are also many for whom that "drink or two" with dinner turns into 6 or 8 drinks once they start drinking. And then they crawl in their car and drive home.

Same way with drinking and carrying a weapon. In my experience, the guy who just has to have his beer with him while hunting more often than not is the same guy for whom those two beers turns into 6 or 8. And pretty soon you've got an impaired guy who thinks he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof. In short, a guy who just has to have a drink available at all times and cannot just wait until the rifles are put away is a big red flag to me. I used put up with that crap because I was young and dumb. Not anymore.

That's what we've all been trying to say.

There's nothing wrong with a guy who can handle his alcohol having a few beers. There's a huge difference in drinking a few and getting hammered. If you can go to eat and have a few and get behind the wheel of a truck then a gun isn't any different.

Some people can't handle it and should not do it. Most however can. It's a person to person case. Saying that nobody should drink in the stand because they will have an accident is painting with a really broad brush. If you are against anyone drinking in the stand then you have to be against anyone drinking at a bar or restaurant.

And yes, to some people a few equals getting hammered and that's not what I'm talking about. You have to be responsible enough to know yourself and how alcohol affects you. I agree that drinking to the point of impairment whether hunting or driving is a really bad idea.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 05:17 PM

I hear you. But I will say that in hunting in many different camps over 40+ years, the guys who just had to have their beer/gin and tonic/whisky with them in the stand and/or truck with them at all times have almost always been the same guys who couldn't stop at just one or two and ended up being impaired at some point during the day and s*%# faced by the time 9 or 10 PM rolled around.

I honestly cannot recall hunting with the guy who had "one or two" on stand and just left it at that. IMO that guy is a largely mythical creature.....

I guess I am disagreeing that "most" who just have to have their drinks at all times can keep it to one or two. That's not been my experience....

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 05:34 PM

So let me get this right
Drinking in the stand with a loaded gun = "shouldn't do it no way it's wrong"
Drinking at dinner with or without kids and getting in you deadly weapon and driving home = Thats ok
I dont get the ones who have double standards at all .
I can have it or leave it but if i do have a few in the stand mostly i am just taking pic's yes i have a gun but very seldom take it back with me i leave it in the stand .
Posted By: postoak

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 05:43 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't drink anything in the stand? I have no problem not drinking when sitting still for three hours.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Am I the only one who doesn't drink anything in the stand? I have no problem not drinking when sitting still for three hours.

Most of the time I don't even have water with me. I only take a beer occasionally to be "cool" appearantly grin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 07:25 PM

I hear you. But I will say that in hunting in many different camps over 40+ years, the guys who just had to have their beer/gin and tonic/whisky with them in the stand and/or truck with them at all times have almost always been the same guys who couldn't stop at just one or two and ended up being impaired at some point during the day and s*%# faced by the time 9 or 10 PM rolled around.

I honestly cannot recall hunting with the guy who had "one or two" on stand and just left it at that. IMO that guy is a largely mythical creature.....

I guess I am disagreeing that "most" who just have to have their drinks at all times can keep it to one or two. That's not been my experience....

Sounds like you spent 40 years hunting with a bunch of idiots and now you're projecting that on a group of anonymous hunters on the internet.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 07:42 PM

Sounds like you spent 40 years hunting with a bunch of idiots and now you're projecting that on a group of anonymous hunters on the internet.

rofl

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 07:48 PM

Nope. If you want to get down to brass tacks, what I am saying is that the guys who always have to have a beer or drink in their hand or have to show everyone they are a big man because they can accomplish the great feat of buying a 12 pack (complete with photos of their beer in the foreground), by and large, turn into idiots at some point. Anyone who has lived long enough and is not in denial knows that.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 07:58 PM

And I did run into a few of them for sure. But, thankfully, not too many. I have my own place now. So I don't have to play the "lease roulette" game anymore.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:01 PM

If beer and whiskey are bad in the stand how about a fine wine?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:05 PM

I'll be drinking in the stand this weekend. And it wont be just a few either. But I'm just watching, Dad will be doing the shooting. Am I a bad person? I feel dirty.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I'll be drinking in the stand this weekend. And it wont be just a few either. But I'm just watching, Dad will be doing the shooting. Am I a bad person? I feel dirty.

Only if your drinkin coors or keystone

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:10 PM

I get where you guys are coming from.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:12 PM

I too will be drinking in the stand this weekend, I will be kidless and will take a few cold ones with me. I hope I can remember where the safety is. I am so irresponsible. I feel dirty too. roflmao

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:12 PM

Might just make it simple and grab a half gallon of Crown.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:14 PM

I won't judge you CC, have fun with your dad. cheers

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:14 PM

You will be in Jack County, its like Wise...as long as no one sees you and you make it to the Church Fish Fry all's forgiven roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:16 PM

I have drank a beer in the stand before, not a real common occurrence but has happened from time to time, mostly just one on the walk.

Most of the time we don't even have beer down there if we do its not a drunkfest, a beer or two before dinner after a day of work or a beer after getting a deer/hog on ice etc. Havent been drunk in a long time and don't care to be... it hurts more than it used to!

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have drank a beer in the stand before, not a real common occurrence but has happened from time to time, mostly just one on the walk.

Most of the time we don't even have beer down there if we do its not a drunkfest, a beer or two before dinner after a day of work or a beer after getting a deer/hog on ice etc. Havent been drunk in a long time and don't care to be... it hurts more than it used to!

Man you arent lying bang

Hows the little Bambino Red...no updated Pics confused2
Posted By: East

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:19 PM

This will be the true testament if beer goggles have the same effect on antlers grin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:21 PM

aim

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:45 PM

Man you arent lying bang

Hows the little Bambino Red...no updated Pics confused2

Taking after daddy eats like a horse and has bad gas

And to make it topic appropriate... yes I can hold a beer and a baby.

So where is our moral compass on that popcorn

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:57 PM

Is that a........bucket? roflmao

Make sure that lil' man is up and ready to scream at the TV in about 51 hours. Gig'em!

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 08:59 PM

How Cool up
Pray he's not left handed and grow a beard roflmao

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 09:00 PM

Small wash tub confused2 someone gave us a free picture taking session with a photographer for a present... free is my favorite price up

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 09:02 PM

Dang left handedness... should be a disease! his momma has it loco

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 09:04 PM

Small wash tub confused2 someone gave us a free picture taking session with a photographer for a present... free is my favorite price up

good lookin' kiddo. Congrats
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 10:23 PM

Alcohol + deadly weapons. Great combination. Right up there with ammonia + bleach, water + gremlins, and jumping out of a plane + no parachute.

I'm not saying I have never done it, or even that I never will again. But like I said, great combination.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: agsellers04
Alcohol + deadly weapons. Great combination. Right up there with ammonia + bleach, water + gremlins, and jumping out of a plane + no parachute.

I'm not saying I have never done it, or even that I never will again. But like I said, great combination.

cheers Dry Ice and a coke bottle is fun too... sled, rope, and a truck.... propane bottle and API rounds!

I don't get on a plane in the first place so no jumpy

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 10:34 PM

Distilled water will not make them multiply. Only water with a chlorine content

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: East

Or food

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 10:52 PM

Wonder if organic would be ok

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 10:56 PM

Wonder if organic would be ok

Blasphemy to mention that word

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 11:00 PM

Isn't deer meat organic?

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 11:02 PM

Depends on were it was shot peep
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 11:22 PM

So thaaaat's why he ran all the way across town to the swimming pool and jumped in! Thaaat's why the snow didnt make them multiply! All makes such perfect sense now.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/25/14 11:44 PM

Alcohol , water, and a full moon made me want to go water skiing in my tighty whities in my young and dumb years. Nowadays I prefer sex in the blind but will settle for a cold beer as a last resort.
Posted By: MUZZBUZZ

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/26/14 07:59 PM

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." --Frank Sinatra
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/26/14 08:22 PM

Didn't read all 8 pages, but i'll say this, i normally take 3 beers with me to the stand in the afternoon, and every evening i come back with one full beer. Question, to all of you who have said drinking and guns don't mix just like drinking and driving, have you not ever been out to eat dinner with the family/friends and had 2 drinks then drove home?

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/26/14 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
Didn't read all 8 pages, but i'll say this, i normally take 3 beers with me to the stand in the afternoon, and every evening i come back with one full beer. Question, to all of you who have said drinking and guns don't mix just like drinking and driving, have you not ever been out to eat dinner with the family/friends and had 2 drinks then drove home?

quiet, you will wake up the Baptists peep
Posted By: postoak

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/26/14 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker

Yes, I have done that but a stomach full of food drastically reduces the effects of alcohol.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/26/14 09:11 PM

I do not condone drinking and driving. Typically my wife has 1-2 but I stay fully sober as I am the driver

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 12:39 AM

Since texting has been found to cause as many accidents and deaths as drinking should hunters quite texting while hunting?
Hear, hear. And I'll drink to that. cheers

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 12:44 AM

Goodness gracious. Some of you folks floor me. Unless I was climbing a tree stand, which I don't do. I have no problem downing a couple(4-5)of beers sitting in a ground blind or a few feet up in an elevated position. If I had a young child with me I probably wouldn't, just to set an example...I don't hunt with children. cheers
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: daniel1381
wont drink anything while in the stand..

up
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 02:00 AM

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 03:25 AM

I am worse after a few cups of coffee. To dang jittery to shoot straight. Maybe a drink with breakfast would be the ticket. Bacon, biscuits and bourbon, all three food groups.

grin

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I am worse after a few cups of coffee. To dang jittery to shoot straight. Maybe a drink with breakfast would be the ticket. Bacon, biscuits and bourbon, all three food groups.

grin

A beer in the a.m. after killing something is quite refreshing, but I wouldn't want to get in the habit. And I likes my whiskey, I truly do, but don't think I can get it past my lips in the a.m.

We only had one customer hunting that started rattling the bottles before any of the rest of us were up. Sure 'nough, later in the day he cut himself pretty deep while skinning something he killed. We all watched him like hawks. Divorced, about to lose visitation with his sons. Worst I've ever seen. He could not stop. Seeing a guy like that makes you think real hard. It's true what they say, the bottle can take away absolutely everything.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 04:01 AM

Hmmm, give me directions...I'll bring the ribeyes, BTW your stand DOES have a grill, tv, AND a ice bin, right? If not, I'll bring ice in my Yeti... cheers

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 04:08 AM

Hmmm, reminds me of my favorite old redneck saying...Hey dude, buckle up, hold my beer, and watch this....

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 04:13 AM

When I hunted in OK the ranch manager would take 6-8 beers with him to the stand every morning. Then drink all day.

I asked him how he did it.

He said he drank OK beer to flush his kidneys, if he wanted to get drunk he would drink Texas beer

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 05:42 AM

When I hunted in OK the ranch manager would take 6-8 beers with him to the stand every morning. Then drink all day.

I asked him how he did it.

He said he drank OK beer to flush his kidneys, if he wanted to get drunk he would drink Texas beer

Yeah there's always a story. It's all really funny-except it usually really ain't.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 02:47 PM

So for you guys saying to be against drinking in the stand you must be against driving after 3 beers. Are all of you guys for drinking 3 drinks and driving? If I have more than 1 beer at dinner, I don't drive. If I have to drive, I don't have more than 1. Now that hasn't always been my rule, I've driven buzzed, but I never will again. Haven't since I was 21.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 02:56 PM

It is amazing that people will have a few beers, say they are not drunk (and maybe not legally) and hop in a vehicle that has much more killing power than a gun, and think nothing of it. This is so common that it is scary.
If someone fired a shot and missed you by 5 feet you have a fit and say that he nearly killed you. You may call the law, ban him forever, leave the lease, etc.
But on the road other vehicles are coming at you at 70MPH and passing you by five feet (and 1000's of them), and you never think if that guy just had a beer, a drink, or a glass of wine. And that guy can take out your whole family with just a tenth of a second lapse in timing.
Be careful out there guys, be it a gun, vehicle, equipment, etc. It takes so little to make a big difference.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 03:08 PM

All food does is slow the metabolism of alcohol, doesn't lesson the effect, will drag it out though. The body can only process about one beer an hour. Meal size, time at table, amount/type of alcohol, body size and make, all effect each person differently to a degree.

I have cleaned many a person up off Texas highways and many DWI arrest, very few thought they where intoxicated. (It is also funny how many ask, "will this hurt my chances of becoming an LEO") grin I have had to call and inform families. It is a serious matter, but often written off as a joke, until you get hurt, hurt someone else, or go to jail. Takes less than the .08 to be impaired for critical thinking and movement.

I have never taken a drink in a stand, but have hunted with some (even LEO's) that will, but they generally will keep it at 1 -2, especially if they are leaving that evening. They will "tear it up" in camp though, if they are staying. grin

Full disclosure: I was a Certified Intoxilyzer operator as well
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 03:15 PM

Not me, ever since I had gastric sleeve surgery, it makes me have to peeee like a racehorse!!!!

Now,,, as soon as I get to the truck, I love to have a beer or two with my Bud's and listen to the coyote say good evening...
Posted By: n-all

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 03:21 PM

not here..
Posted By: Erny

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 03:37 PM

It seems like irresponsible behavior to me to drink and hunt. Just my opinion.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 04:39 PM

We had guys at our lease that after a few beers would make a corn run into town and think nothing of it. And then even have a few beers on the road. And then get all righteous about not drinking while hunting. IDIOTS!

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
We had guys at our lease that after a few beers would make a corn run into town and think nothing of it. And then even have a few beers on the road. And then get all righteous about not drinking while hunting. IDIOTS!

Agreed, seen that before as well.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
All food does is slow the metabolism of alcohol, doesn't lesson the effect, will drag it out though. The body can only process about one beer an hour. Meal size, time at table, amount/type of alcohol, body size and make, all effect each person differently to a degree.

I have cleaned many a person up off Texas highways and many DWI arrest, very few thought they where intoxicated. (It is also funny how many ask, "will this hurt my chances of becoming an LEO") grin I have had to call and inform families. It is a serious matter, but often written off as a joke, until you get hurt, hurt someone else, or go to jail. Takes less than the .08 to be impaired for critical thinking and movement.

I have never taken a drink in a stand, but have hunted with some (even LEO's) that will, but they generally will keep it at 1 -2, especially if they are leaving that evening. They will "tear it up" in camp though, if they are staying. grin

Next time we play Golf Dennis you should see if I can pass the test rofl
Posted By: 10 point

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 07:47 PM

DRINKING AND GUNS NO WAY.

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/27/14 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Next time we play Golf Dennis you should see if I can pass the test rofl

Deal brudda! We will just do the SFST's and get back to golfing roflmao Your "condition" may be the best game I got! grin
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/28/14 03:33 AM

On afternoon hunts I will take a couple of wide mouth pints. They make good p containers.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Drinking in the stand? - 11/28/14 03:44 AM

Love beer, but never drink while hunting. Just a personal preference.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum