Texas Hunting Forum

Couple of Taxidermist questions

Posted By: Jhunt

Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/20/14 07:03 PM

Any good reccomendations for taxidermist in Freestone/Navarro Counties? Wouldn't mind going further for some one reasonable and good. Also, how many of you have ever put a caped out deer head in your freezer and what are the best steps to follow. Don't have a buck yet, I just wanted to get this info if I am lucxky enough to need it.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/20/14 10:17 PM

We have put several heads in the deep freeze, we just leave cape inside a trash bag.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/20/14 10:32 PM

I've only had to freeze a couple heads, but I hung the deer by the hind legs, and pulled the whole dang skin down and over the head/antlers and put the whole thing in double bags before freezing. I don't know if that was correct or not but neither taxidermist said anything negative about it and one said it was "better than most he'd seen." May ask this question over on the taxidermy section? Good luck!
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/20/14 10:34 PM

Better prepare the wifey. Mine was not happy when she opened up the freezer and ole Fred was staring back at her.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/20/14 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
Better prepare the wifey. Mine was not happy when she opened up the freezer and ole Fred was staring back at her.

Ha ha
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/20/14 11:00 PM

I took a deer into Redemption Processing in Fairfield (freestone co.) and they had a couple of decent looking mounts in there. A guy that helps them out sometimes on weekends does them. I've never used them for taxidermy work since I have a good guy in Belton that does all of my deer.

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/21/14 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
I took a deer into Redemption Processing in Fairfield (freestone co.) and they had a couple of decent looking mounts in there. A guy that helps them out sometimes on weekends does them. I've never used them for taxidermy work since I have a good guy in Belton that does all of my deer.

If you have gotten your meat back from Redemption Meats on 833, how did you like them? I used J & S for years with great results. The idiots from Brothers/Champion that took it over last year, ruined a hog I took them. I am just debating if I want to trust the new Redeption meat people with a deer. I haven't heard any reviews yet and when I dropped by for a price list, they didn't have one yet. With all the damage the Brothers/champion people did last year, I hope the new owners are able to bring back the good J&S quality!
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/21/14 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jhunt
Originally Posted By: ZK-315

If you have gotten your meat back from Redemption Meats on 833, how did you like them? I used J & S for years with great results. The idiots from Brothers/Champion that took it over last year, ruined a hog I took them. I am just debating if I want to trust the new Redeption meat people with a deer. I haven't heard any reviews yet and when I dropped by for a price list, they didn't have one yet. With all the damage the Brothers/champion people did last year, I hope the new owners are able to bring back the good J&S quality!

I'll keep you posted on the meat. I haven't gotten it back yet. Hopefully it'll be ready when I come to town this weekend.

I agree, J&S did a great job, and the guys last year ruined a buck I took in to them as well. I cooked up 2 separate batches of burger and it smelled terrible, so I trashed the rest of it.

The guy at redemption seemed to know what he was doing and talking about. Super nice guy. I didn't get a great look at the price list since other people were in there, but it didn't seem outrageous. It's already more than what I pay in Belton, tx (place close to home), but I guess we'll find out total price when I pick it up. Already put a $85 deposit down.
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/23/14 01:42 AM

I was happy with the meat and the service at Redemption. Thought the price was a little high, but confident I got all my meat and it was in a very timely manner. Good amount of pork added to the summer sausage, which I like.

There's a taxidermist in Teague down in Freestone Co. named Shawn Sifford. Great guy. Not a big operation, but he does good work. He has a Facebook page under "Sifford Taxidermy". I'll see if I can find his #. By the way...he does his own processing. He'll do your deer for you for about $100 if you get a shoulder mount done. I've heard his meats are really good.

If you need a euro done, give me a shout. I've been doing just euros for about 10 years. Don't do a ton because I don't advertise, but I treat every single one like its my own. Every plaque is custom made in my wood shop as well. Side gig to my teaching/coaching job. smile
Posted By: booger

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/23/14 03:50 AM

Just took my sons deer to Staying Alive taxidermy outside of Thornton. A couple of my buddies had work done there and were really pleased. I think it's on Hwy 14??? Really nice guys and the said they have about a 6 month turn around.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/23/14 03:57 AM

Another one is Wilderness artistry taxidermy in between Mexia and Teague on hwy 84
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/23/14 04:03 AM

Realistic Taxidermy is in Corsicana. No personal experience. I met the guy once and he was a nice guy and the pictures on his Facebook page look good. His website appears to be down though.

Re: Couple of Taxidermist questions - 11/24/14 06:41 PM

[quote=JThoele]Another one is Wilderness artistry taxidermy in between Mexia and Teague on hwy 84 [/quote

He did my last year and did an awesome job. Very realistic, mounted on old fence post with barb wire and greenery native to the spot I shot the deer. I have heard he had s
Either shut down his taxidermist studio or was only accepting limited animals because of health reasons. That is why I am hoping to find someone else if I need to.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum