Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake?

Posted By: Enter Standman

Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 02:29 PM

Just looking for new and innovative ways to clean my skull with less stink and effort.
Posted By: Western

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 02:40 PM

Car-wash after simmering it for an hr or 2 worked great for me. If your doing a euro kind of thing?
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 03:27 PM

Bury it in the ground instead and then boil it in peroxide or paint it. Takes 3 months, but there won't be a trace of anything on it.

I did the lake thing and the buck grew algae all over the skull and turned green. Ended up using it for my rattling horns.

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 03:33 PM

I got extra strong strength Hydrogen Peroxide from a beauty supply, most hair dressers have some to sell too. Simmer the head with a fish fryer using a cut off 55 gal drum for 20 or so minutes ( I used detergent in the water also to help break down oils, old mule I think.

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 03:36 PM

BTW, Use the hydrogen peroxide AFTER the head is cleaned, then give it a long bath in the HP/water mix to whiten it.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Bury it in the ground instead and then boil it in peroxide or paint it. Takes 3 months, but there won't be a trace of anything on it.

I did the lake thing and the buck grew algae all over the skull and turned green. Ended up using it for my rattling horns.

Antlers still look good after being buried? Do you need to put anything on the antlers afterwards?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 04:43 PM

Take it to a taxidermist for $45.
Posted By: don k

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 05:29 PM

Skin it and cut it the way you want then boil it in a pot. don't do the lake thing.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
. Es verdad.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 10:11 PM

Skin the head and put it in a 5 gallon buck of water. Change the water out everyday. Make dang sure coyotes, coons and dogs can't get to it. And change the water everyday or else sick
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Texican
Originally Posted By: cameron00

Antlers still look good after being buried? Do you need to put anything on the antlers afterwards?

Sorry, don't bury the antlers. I put an upside down cooler over them and put a rock on it.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 11:09 PM

Fire ant mound
Posted By: davvy

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 11:27 PM

Skin it boil it in plain old every day water until the flesh sloughs off (8-10 hours)let it cool and finish cleaning it by hand. Fully cooked meat and brain is so much easier to work with
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/15/14 11:51 PM

My buddy is a taxidermist. If the cape is in good condition, he will trade a free euro mount in exchange for the cape
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/16/14 01:00 AM

If the lake thing doesn't work out, I'll just cut the horns off. It's an ugly little thing (certainly not worth another dime), but shot it with my son and want to have those horns around to recall the occasion. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: brucedonnovan

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/16/14 02:34 AM

Just had this conversation the other day. My uncle shot a smallish 8. He tied the antlers to a cinderblock and threw the head in a pond for 3 weeks. The turtles and perch picked it clean. He bleached it with hair peroxide and it looks nice.

Had another guy tell me the same thing. He had the mount and it looked good.

Never tried it personally, just what I've seen and heard from others. I'm going to try it on the next cull I get.

I did the boil thing on the buck from last year and it is a pain. Decided I'm going straight to the taxidermist on the next nice one I shoot. Not worth the nastiness for less than $100.
Posted By: Conchoman76

Re: Anyone ever submerged a deer head in a lake? - 11/16/14 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

This.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum