Texas Hunting Forum

tresspasser - it happened to me - UPDATE

Posted By: denton

tresspasser - it happened to me - UPDATE - 11/12/14 04:30 AM

So, I'm sitting in my ground blind watching a doe at the feeder 30 yards away. I have a back pond 70 yards behind her that sits along the woods line. I'm watching this doe for 5 minutes then all of the sudden BOOM. I knew it was on my property but stunned at how close it seemed. I left the blind and see a man walking down from the pond, NO hunters orange. I get closer and still cant make out who it is as dusk is approaching. He says hi and calls me by my name. It's my hays guys 40 year old son that lives 1/2 mile away. Mind you, his farm to hunt is the same size as mine and he had to cross on other piece of posted property to get onto my land. I was pissed and he knew it, he also knew he had no permission to be there but was caught red f'ing handed. I'll leave out the explitives but asked him what he shot at. He said a buck was walking down the hill from his left to right and thinks he missed. The buck was walking right to the doe and corn. Blood was everywhere and the deer was tracked onto yet another neighbors property. Once I got home I've had tome to reflect how lucky I am that that buck came walking down the field and the trespasser didn't notice the doe first. He would have shot right at me. I really like my hay guy and that is the only reason I didn't call the game warden today but I can't think of a reason to not call him tomorrow. Its freaking me out. Vent over. Holy crap that was a close one.
Posted By: Schanz

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:34 AM

Got to wonder how many times he's been there before
Posted By: Weegs

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:35 AM

Call, Call your hay guy, call the GW. There is a time to make nice but when safety is an issue "nice" has to take a back seat. You do not want a second close one.
And glad you are ok
Posted By: Tracey1970

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:39 AM

I wouldn't care who he is, I would have called the GW right in front of him. We have problems with people trespassing on our lease all the time. I have called the sheriff several times. I pay a lot of money for the hunting rights and i will protect those rights. Some people just don't care.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Schanz
Got to wonder how many times he's been there before

I'm the new guy. Owned for 1 year this month. He was born and raised out there and probably knows my land better than me.
Posted By: Tracey1970

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:40 AM

He needs to learn some RESPECT.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 05:05 AM

You are nicer than I am...

son or not, living in the area longer, whatever... a 40 year old has no excuses.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 05:06 AM

Next time you might have a bullet in you so I would call old GW
Posted By: maximum

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 05:26 AM

call in asap
call the hay guy.
a lot of these folks think they can run
willy nilly when the owner goes back to
where ever. either that or it's " waaal
we bin huntin' here fer 10-15 year, en
'ol lester jes tol us to come eny time
we tooka notion."
make damn sure they know ol' lester doesn't
own it anymore. you do, and you didn't give
anyone permission to be there.
would sonny have called in for help if he'd
have put one in you?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 11:47 AM

Send him a bill for hunting hunting your land that is the same as if you had a paid hunter. Send a copy to his Dad. Make the number on the bill worth your while and make sure that he gets the message. Also ask the "hunter" if he thinks his stupidity is worth his Dad loosing his hay lease. Hay is worth a lot nowdays and no one needs to mention the price of cattle at all.
Posted By: wtr

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 12:08 PM

If you don't do something about it he will likely do it again. I say call ASAP.
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: denton
So, I'm sitting in my ground blind watching a doe at the feeder 30 yards away. I have a back pond 70 yards behind her that sits along the woods line. I'm watching this doe for 5 minutes then all of the sudden BOOM. I knew it was on my property but stunned at how close it seemed. I left the blind and see a man walking down from the pond, NO hunters orange. I get closer and still cant make out who it is as dusk is approaching. He says hi and calls me by my name. It's my hays guys 40 year old son that lives 1/2 mile away. Mind you, his farm to hunt is the same size as mine and he had to cross on other piece of posted property to get onto my land. I was pissed and he knew it, he also knew he had no permission to be there but was caught red f'ing handed. I'll leave out the explitives but asked him what he shot at. He said a buck was walking down the hill from his left to right and thinks he missed. The buck was walking right to the doe and corn. Blood was everywhere and the deer was tracked onto yet another neighbors property. Once I got home I've had tome to reflect how lucky I am that that buck came walking down the field and the trespasser didn't notice the doe first. He would have shot right at me. I really like my hay guy and that is the only reason I didn't call the game warden today but I can't think of a reason to not call him tomorrow. Its freaking me out. Vent over. Holy crap that was a close one.

The 40 year old son will someday return to hunt your land since you didn't report him to his father or the game warden. Your silence gives him (the 40 year old son) the green light to do it again.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 01:59 PM

Call the GW. No excuses are acceptable.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Call the GW. No excuses are acceptable.

Agree!
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:03 PM

At 40, he is old enough to understand and obey the law. I would have called the GW.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:16 PM

It wasn't the first time he has trespassed on your land and if you let him get away with it, it won't be the last time.

Eddie
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:22 PM

Trespassing is trespassing, as others have said don't let him get away with it as it only encourages his kind.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

son or not, living in the area longer, whatever... a 40 year old has no excuses.

What if the guy bought you a steak dinner and a weekend of golf would that make it more exceptable? peep

grin
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:31 PM

this is why I won't own land until I can live their Full Time.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:36 PM

Consider the other side of someone getting shot. What if you had shot at either the doe or buck and had hit him? When someone trespasses, you are endangered, they are endangered, and any property damage is also a consideration, not to mention your stock and wildlife. I would call the GW and get this settled. I bet the trespasser's father would have no problem calling the GW if he saw someone hunting on one of his hay fields. Lots of danger during hunting season when someone is somewhere they are not supposed to be.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
It wasn't the first time he has trespassed on your land and if you let him get away with it, it won't be the last time.

Eddie
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: txshntr

What if the guy bought you a steak dinner and a weekend of golf would that make it more exceptable? peep

grin

clap
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Tracey1970
I wouldn't care who he is, I would have called the GW right in front of him. We have problems with people trespassing on our lease all the time. I have called the sheriff several times. I pay a lot of money for the hunting rights and i will protect those rights. Some people just don't care.

agree with this
Posted By: alexrex20

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:52 PM

Should've called the GW. It's a lot nicer than what you legally could've done - shot him for trespassing.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:57 PM

You have been more patient than most. I would have made it known to him under no circumstances was he allowed to be there now or at any other time. I would call the GW to at least let him know what had happened, that way there the GW has a heads up and can be aware and possibly keep an eye out for him. Just my two cents worth.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 02:57 PM

Fix it now or it will continue to be a problem later.
Posted By: TexAg Mike

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:06 PM

I think I would set a precedent now! If he is your hay guy's 40+ yr old son, just think.....He ain't too far off from being your new hay guy! If he knows he can take advantage of you now, just think what he'll be doing later!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: wtr

Here's the deal. I was the "new guy" when I bought my place 10 years ago too. Similar thing happened. I called the GW, guy was on probation from another deal, guy went to jail. His house is a mile away from my place. He and his family are known "outlaws". They have lived there all their lives and know every inch of the area-this guy was walking my place at 2:30 AM with a headlight and a .30-30.

Fast forward to now: Many of the locals are like family now. I know most of them from the coffee shop, hiring work done, etc. To a man, they have told me that me prosecuting that guy was the best thing I could have done because word got around quickly that 1)I was there at unexpected times, 2)I have cameras out all over the place, and 3) I WILL prosecute. I have had almost zero trouble with trespassers since.

You are the landowner-new or not. It makes no difference. Giving a trespasser a "warning" means everyone finds out in a hurry that you are a pushover and your place is "open for business". This is a pivotal moment for the future of your place IMO.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: alexrex20
Should've called the GW. It's a lot nicer than what you legally could've done - shot him for trespassing.

You can legally shoot people for trespassing? Have to try that some time.
Posted By: Wisemd123

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: wtr

Here's the deal. I was the "new guy" when I bought my place 10 years ago too. Similar thing happened. I called the GW, guy was on probation from another deal, guy went to jail. His house is a mile away from my place. He and his family are known "outlaws". They have lived there all their lives and know every inch of the area-this guy was walking my place at 2:30 AM with a headlight and a .30-30.

Fast forward to now: Many of the locals are like family now. I know most of them from the coffee shop, hiring work done, etc. To a man, they have told me that me prosecuting that guy was the best thing I could have done because word got around quickly that 1)I was there at unexpected times, 2)I have cameras out all over the place, and 3) I WILL prosecute. I have had almost zero trouble with trespassers since.

You are the landowner-new or not. It makes no difference. Giving a trespasser a "warning" means everyone finds out in a hurry that you are a pushover and your place is "open for business". This is a pivotal moment for the future of your place IMO.

I agree with this

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:47 PM

I spoke with the father this morning for 5 minutes and he fully understands that I'm not a pushover. The 40 yo son is actually in his early 50's and this should not be an issue any longer. One of the few law enforcement officers in town is a patient of my wife and he has been alerted to the situation.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:51 PM

I spoke with the father this morning for 5 minutes and he fully understands that I'm not a pushover. The 40 yo son is actually in his early 50's and this should not be an issue any longer. One of the few law enforcement officers in town is a patient of my wife and he has been alerted to the situation.
up

And BTW, that's not just trespassing, that's poaching.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:55 PM

You need a dead deer/animal for it to be poaching.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:57 PM

Its either on the ground out there or at his house. Way too much blood out there.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 03:59 PM

The guy stated that while trespassing with a firearm he shot a deer, and there was an evident blood trail. You might need the body for the conviction, but he was attempting to poach that deer.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:00 PM

I agree with most of the replys.
He didn't have permission to hunt there and it's a safety issue more than anything.
You might be shot or end up shooting him since niether of you know where one another are, and then it's too late.
He wasn't supposed to be there so he's breaking the law. Call the GW!

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:01 PM

Its either on the ground out there or at his house. Way too much blood out there.

Find the dead deer and call the GW.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:03 PM

If he had a firearm it is considered poaching and is a Class A misdemeanor. A dead animal does increase the seriousness depending on the animal,circumstances, etc. Having a firearm takes it out of the "ticket" realm though.

Pretty sure the blood trail, admissions, etc. are equivalent to a dead animal.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
The guy stated that while trespassing with a firearm he shot a deer, and there was an evident blood trail. You might need the body for the conviction, but he was attempting to poach that deer.

Without a dead animal, it will be your word against his. He will sing a different tune at that point. I would have saved some blood/hair/tissue for DNA at least if I decided to call the GW.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:05 PM

If he had a firearm it is considered poaching and is a Class A misdemeanor. A dead animal does increase the seriousness depending on the animal,circumstances, etc. Having a firearm takes it out of the "ticket" realm though.

Would that be the same for a hog hunter looking for his dogs then caught on your land? Just curious.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Without a dead animal, it will be your word against his. He will sing a different tune at that point. I would have saved some blood/hair/tissue for DNA at least if I decided to call the GW.

He should of course do all he can. But most DA's will not hesitate on a "he said,he said" case where one of the "hes" was caught in the act of a crime and there is lots of circumstantial evidence of a further crime. In fact,it's not really a "he said,he said" case because of all the other evidence.

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:09 PM

Would that be the same for a hog hunter looking for his dogs then caught on your land? Just curious.

Yes. If he had a firearm it's a Class A. Again, can go up from there depending on circumstances....
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 04:24 PM

To the OP, if you have a cell phone you could have taken pictures of him and the evidence (blood) and that would have been the slam dunk. Now it's pretty much just a he said, he said unless the OP comes up with the proof.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 06:16 PM

As a minimum I'd call your Hay Guy ..... and I'd let the son and father know that the next incident will involve the GW
Posted By: Western

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - UPDATE - 11/12/14 06:24 PM

Good you spoke with the "hay guy", but I would at least alert the GW, just in-case it happens again. For all you know, this "grown man", has been doing this to his other neighbors and the GW may already have/be making a case.

You can get a new "hay guy", if it comes down to it.

Good luck with it and hope it's a bridge you don't have to cross again.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/12/14 06:34 PM

I once caught a 45 year old man give or take with his 90 year old dad with their hunting buggy loaded with guns and fishing poles on our place. I was 25 our family has owned this piece of land for almost 100 years. I knew the family and they had been put in charge of a neighboring property while the owner was out of town. The old man said he knew the guy who owned it before no crap and said he was allowed to hunt and fish there. I lectured both of them more than younger guy just cause I could be mean to this old man as young guy felt weird but said tell your dad he is about a century outdated on his hunting privileges.

I didn't follow them out at first, went to check a few minuted after. They had skipped there exit and tried to go around to another spot on our property to hunt. Same conversation again. We now keep our shared gate locked.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/13/14 12:15 AM

Wow alexrex 20, shoot someone for trespassing ? Let us know how that works out for ya. Jeez.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/13/14 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: alexrex20

There is one in every crowd...and when Therancher gets here, there will be two
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/13/14 12:40 AM

CALL G/W NOW !!!!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/13/14 12:48 AM

I think you did the right thing by talking with him and the hay guy. Many people who lease grazing rights or farm a place assume they can hunt it as well. That's the way it is on many places. I wouldn't get the GW involved unless it happened again.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: tresspasser - it happened to me - 11/13/14 01:45 AM

Haha txhntr, thats a good point!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum