Texas Hunting Forum

How many bucks should we shoot??..

Posted By: txhunter1010

How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:16 AM

Ok so I've been thinking.. How many mature .. Or say 4-5 plus year old bucks should we take off our place... Here is the setup... It's 3 of us.. Me, dad, and bro... 200 acres... Around us is hardly any pressure... Pasture to the north a guy owns and he is only hunter but doesn't really hunt... To the west.. A few houses I'm distance.. No hunting... East is even better no hunting at all.. Old man runs 10 cows.. And to the south and south east.. Maybe 3 hunters at most.. So with not much pressure we are seeing and getting some great bucks for low fence coryell county!!.. I've posted pics.. Should we only take 1 good buck? Or 2 or... I'm just curious if it even maters.. Thanks
Posted By: doogie

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:19 AM

Sounds like 1 buck per 100 acres should be ok

But then again, you would need a deer survey to give you an accurate number.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:31 AM

It depends on lots of things. Deer density, ratio, number of mature 5+ bucks, etc. You can't base what you do on your land off of what someone across the fence might or might not be doing IMO.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 12:09 PM

200 acres would be 2 max around my place, probably just 1. First thing you need to do is try to figure out your true numbers buck/doe.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:02 PM

Call the county wildlife biologist and get their input. Ideally a survey would answer the question.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:17 PM

As long as they are fully mature 5.5-6.5 it doesn't matter how many you take.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:23 PM

This^^ besides those bucks range is larger than the 200 acres you are hunting. 3 paid hunters deserve a good buck each if the area provides it especially when it's bro and pops.

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 02:48 PM

there are more bucks than does...prob 2:1 ...and yes in my opinion the place feels bigger than 200 acres since we are the only ones really around......we have been on it the past 4 years and the first year we shot a 10 and this year my dad got the big brow tine 8...and in between those 2 bucks 4 does....so yeah I agree if there are 2-3 mature bucks that this area would support that....

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 04:42 PM

rifle rifle rifle
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor

This^^ besides those bucks range is larger than the 200 acres you are hunting. 3 paid hunters deserve a good buck each if the area provides it especially when it's bro and pops.

Deserve?

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor

Deserve?

Not to be taken literally
Posted By: don k

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 05:07 PM

Do like my neighbor used to do. They shot every buck they saw. That way when their does came in heat it drew in all the other neighbors bucks and they could shoot them too.
Posted By: therancher

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Do like my neighbor used to do. They shot every buck they saw. That way when their does came in heat it drew in all the other neighbors bucks and they could shoot them too.

The best buck bait is does. The best doe bait is corn. On 200 acres there is no limit on how many bucks you can shoot, as long as you keep corn on the ground.

It's really very simple.... confused2
Posted By: Erich

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/12/14 10:59 PM

hunt it responsibly. why abuse a good thing. I'm always an advocate of keeping a low profile.

200ac is a nice place. but its not big enough to be home to LOTS of deer. and even at that...its not big enough to be home to LOTS of mature deer. you may have a handful of them that you're seeing because of lower hunting pressure. but if you go bananas and shoot several of them....now you've just shot up what took several years of light or non-hunting to establish.

also....you dont' think those folks around you are hunting much....they may be hunting more than you think. they just bide their time...take a nice buck and let the others go...leave some nice ones to get bigger for next year.

along come someone who freaks out and thinks they need to shoot them all. now you've created a lot of excitement. you've upset some neighbors who were watching and passing those deer. and who probably wouldn't care if you shot one. but to sit there and think....how many should I shoot?

shoot one....take a doe or two...take a spike. leave some nice deer to be even nicer later.

or....the flipside...those folks don't know those deer are there. they see you shooting them...and get excited...now everyone is hunting them. now you have lots of hunting activity where before you had a quiet honeyhole.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/13/14 02:03 AM

You are asking the wrong question...you should be asking how many does should I be taking off.

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/13/14 02:20 AM

We got the doe thing figured out I believe..
Posted By: 10 point

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/13/14 03:02 AM

You say you have two hundred acres to hunt on but how many acres surround yours as you say hunting is light. Remember deer move. Its good to control your removal of buck and does but other hunters may just shoot every thing that is legal! Tried this many years ago in south Texas didn't work for that reason.
Posted By: pprince

Re: How many bucks should we shoot??.. - 11/13/14 03:28 AM

I would say 3, one for each of you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum