Texas Hunting Forum

after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd

Posted By: sunsetroosters

after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 12:30 AM

I have a question for all you hardcore bow hunters... I am wanting to hunt out of my tripod sunday morning, and we are looking at 20 degrees and a 10 mph wind. how on Gods green earth do you guys sit in a tree stand and stay warm enough to function when it is like 15 degrees outside. I seriously don't understand. please help and all opinions welcome lol thanks guys
Posted By: txshntr

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 12:36 AM

Warm boots/socks, good head cover and a good pair of gloves. Best pair of thermals as a base layer and I typically put another couple of lighter layers over it. Layer up and I keep a cover that will encompass my body and legs to below my arms.

And I wear a "sleeve" over my coat so I can wear heavier clothing on my arms peep
Posted By: Fowlman

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 12:41 AM

Like txshntr said good base layer head cover gloves and boots. And don't sweat walking into your stand, you will freeze after an hour.

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 12:44 AM

I seriously was thinking about wearing my waders, they are the warmest things I have and the boots are 1200 grams
Posted By: KS 196 6/8

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 01:42 AM

Sun:

Still to warm for me to comment!!! I got in the stand at 5:00, the morning this pix was taken, word was it was about -10 to -15 when I got in the TRIPOD.....

Posted By: Pittstate

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 02:02 AM

I went duck/goose hunting this morning in -11 wind chill...I layered up and had no problem. Shot a limit of Geese and 2 mallards before having to leave at 8:30am to get to the office for a meeting. If the birds weren't flying, I probably would have got cold!

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: KS 196 6/8
Sun:

Still to warm for me to comment!!! I got in the stand at 5:00, the morning this pix was taken, word was it was about -10 to -15 when I got in the TRIPOD.....

Seriously please comment, I want to know what you guys do, how many layers you wear and how thick of boots. Do you wear jackets and pants of coveralls or overalls??? I want to be able to hunt here it counts this year and not freeze to death or be so uncomfortable tHat I want to sit in the box blind with a heater... I am willing to do what it takes just need to know what to do
Posted By: RChipman11

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 04:23 AM

its all about layers and wind protection. I wear cold gear under armor leggings and shirt, then long john bottom and shirt, then jeans and a hoodie, all under good wind proof/insulated pants and jacket. Balaclava for the head, warm gloves and keep hands in pockets if you need to, merino wool socks in 400 gram boots (my feet are always hot). My outer layers actually froze to a tripod one morning in a snow storm with windchill below 0 and I wasn't cold...until I had to come out of the jacket and pants for fear of ripping them.

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 08:48 PM

alright tell me what you think. I ordered a 200gr set of bibs and a 200gr jacket... I already have some cabelas polar base layer stuff and some nice boots....
Posted By: Western

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 09:14 PM

I'm not a "hardcore bow hunter" any more scared So can't answer that one.

I do hunt Elk in Colorado down to 10 degrees and have went after coyotes there in -8*. For that it was nice heavy thermals, bibs, think wool shirt and another wool shirt/ coat type thing, with hunting coat over it. 1 pair wool socks and another pair of regular with Soral boots. full heavy face mask and light gloves.
Posted By: kry226

Re: after reading that post from kansas....talk about colddddd - 11/12/14 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
alright tell me what you think. I ordered a 200gr set of bibs and a 200gr jacket... I already have some cabelas polar base layer stuff and some nice boots....

Should be good, but make sure your layers aren't too tight. I took my wife shopping for cold weather camo and she kept thinking like a chick wanting to be form fitting and cute. If your layers are too tight, you'll be cold. Especially for your outer layer, get it big enough to wear several layers underneath. Same thing with boots. Too tight and your toes will freeze. Leave a little extra space for thick socks and still have room to wiggle a little.

I also use a lot of hand warmers and buy them by the case from Amazon. My gloves aren't anything special, some cheap "Remington" brand. But I keep my hands in my pockets with the hand warmers and only take them out to pee, shoot, glass, grunt, or rattle. The key is to find a good balance between warmth and dexterity and use your pockets with hand warmers. This weekend was the first time I used a form of foot warmer. For being over a year old, they worked OK. I am sure newer ones would do better, but they are only needed in the coldest of weather.

You can take a thermos of hot coffee to the stand too. A snack or two may provide energy for heat production.

Finally, DON'T WEAR COTTON ANYTHING. If you sweat, you'll never dry out and you will freeze. Wear only moisture wicking fabrics.

Hope this helps. Good luck! up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum