Texas Hunting Forum

How would you rate the first two weeks of the season?

Posted By: Texas Dan

How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 01:12 PM

I read somewhere that 90% of an annual deer harvest occurs during the first two weeks of the season. If that's true, it's probably safe to say how hunters rate those first two weeks is a good indication of how the season will go overall.

So then, how would you rate the season up to this point?
Posted By: Seadog

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 01:24 PM

It sucked!!! I've been working offshore and haven't been able to hunt gun season yet!!!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 01:35 PM

If the boat hasn't sunk I'd go with avg.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 03:08 PM

I can't vote in this poll. My season was over before your poll started.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 03:10 PM

I have had some great hunts, seen some mature deer and shot a nice one, so I would say above average. On my Texas lease, I have seen some of the deer I was wanting to see, but overall antler size and diversity is down from some of the years past.
Posted By: TxsHunter99

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 03:19 PM

I shot my first buck ever already and he is going on my wall. I would say above average. May be the best season of my life, who knows
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 03:25 PM

wouldn't know, I haven't been out.

gonna go tomorrow and Thursday more than likely
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
wouldn't know, I haven't been out.

gonna go tomorrow and Thursday more than likely

^^^THIS^^^ FML
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 05:18 PM

I rated it above average because I've seen legal deer on every hunt but one.

I remember reading the TPWD article that said it should be an above average season. However, the polling numbers so far don't reflect that at all. But then, maybe many of us have too high expectations?
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 05:22 PM

For me it's been a really slow season so far. I've yet to see a legal deer on several hunts. I'm goin back out this week end so hopefully things can change for the better.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/11/14 05:27 PM

I had to say below average. I've sat 10 times this year, and haven't seen a legal buck yet. I've only seen 11 deer total. To top it off, the weather and moon phase look much better for this coming weekend, but I won't be able to make it to the lease. bang
Posted By: passthru

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 12:13 AM

I didn't vote in the poll. I'm on a new lease. Wasn't sure what to expect really. High expectations but we know how that goes. I'm having fun though. Being retired and being on the lease as much as I'm home is very satisfying.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 12:19 AM

I voted below average because everytime I have been out there I have been working on getting stuff set up and havent just went to hunt.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 02:07 AM

Above average for us. I see deer on almost all sits. Neighbors new high fence actually may be to our benefit. up
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 03:52 AM

Below average for us. The only thing legal was a couple does on the 3rd. Definately going to be an interesting year.
Posted By: Tracey1970

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 03:55 AM

Sucks for me.
Posted By: Tres

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 04:41 AM

Didn't vote, haven't been out during rifle season, but am expecting an above average weekend in a few days.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 02:22 PM

Below average. Hot, wet, very little movement during the day.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 03:22 PM

One of the best years for me so far in Texas. Upper Age classes are well represented
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 03:51 PM

Been very slow!! seeing very few deer seems only movement is at night. Below avg deer on my property and I think it is the acorn crop of which I have no oak trees. Now extremely cold with wind chills in single digits do to high winds.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How would you rate the first two weeks of the season? - 11/12/14 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Flashprism
Been very slow!! seeing very few deer seems only movement is at night. Below avg deer on my property and I think it is the acorn crop of which I have no oak trees. Now extremely cold with wind chills in single digits do to high winds.

You don't have to worry about acorns in our neck of the woods my friend. We have just had way too much rain, if there is such a thing in our part of Texas. It is the greenest I've seen it out this way in 8 years. And then the full moon and warm weather have not been our friend. At least your there now that the cold weather has arrived. I'm having to work. hammer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum