Texas Hunting Forum

385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 04:37 PM

Foard County, Thursday (Nov. 6) I'm sitting in my tower blind watching for deer and see only a few does and a big 8 point in the morning. In the evening just before dark I see movement at my far feeder 325 yards away. There's a nice 10 point hitting the corn. While I'm looking at him through the binoculars, trying to size him up and make sure he's not a young buck something large comes in to the area. Now it's almost too dark to tell much about them. The second animal was definitely larger bodied but I couldn't see the rack much at all. It got near the feeder and the first buck and was WAY bigger. I thought to myself, what the heck is that thing, it's a monster. Very big compared to the short whitetail. Darkness sets in and I leave wondering if that big huge buck will show up again.

Back in the tower Friday hoping for the mystery monster buck to return. He's a no show morning and evening. Saturday is the same. I'm still seeing the does, a couple of 8's and the decent 10 but no monster buck yet. Maybe he was just passing through. Maybe he was harvested by another hunter on the surrounding properties. No telling what happened to him. Oh well. It's fun to hope anyway.

Sunday morning I'm in the tower at 0530. I've decided to go for a doe when the sun starts up and hoping they show up at my closer feeders, one at 140 yards and the other at 175 yards. Light starts over the horizon and I'm looking all over the place for movement. I've got my rifles ready for them. Being as I hate to have to choose just 1 gun to play with, I have my set of 3 with me. Remington 700's. 30.06 which I love to use on everything really, .270 just because, and my .243 to play with hogs and coyotes now and then. I've taken my best buck (220 lbs) with my .243 too. Anyway, 0700 and I'm glassing the fields and see something at the farthest feeder moving around. I put the binoculars on it and "what the hell is it"? It's huge. It's not a whitetail. It's not a mule deer. WTH is it?

Well, I quickly think what ever this is doesn't require a season or a tag and I'm getting it. I grab the .270 topped with a Zeiss Rapid Z 800, pull it up and get this monster in the sights. Still wondering what I have in front of me I pull off my shot. DRT. Bang Flop. It's over. I have something on the ground just not sure what. I wait about 10-15 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn't jump and run. I get out of the tower to go have a look.

It's a young Red Stag. NO WAY. Yep, and it's down and done. One shot, 325 yards, .270 Hornady 130 grain soft point right into the neck. Ground weight is 385 lbs. feet like a cow. He must have escaped nearby but he's mine now. Fabulous day for me. This old man was like a 6 year old with a brand new bike. Very excited.

Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 04:40 PM

WhTAS UP WITH the straps worried he was gonna hop back out?
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 04:41 PM

You're gonna love the way it grills up!

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 04:42 PM

I had to hoist that sucker up into the truck. Not as young as I used to be ya know.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 04:44 PM

Glad you got your animal. The shoot and ask questions later could have gotten you in a bit of trouble. Dodged a pretty good bullet AND sent one right on target
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 04:48 PM

Sweet. Manna from heaven. Congrats.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 05:35 PM

That is awesome! Any chasing going on up there? headed to Foard this Friday
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 05:36 PM

Congrats!!
Posted By: Curly

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 05:43 PM

cheers
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 05:44 PM

Great eating.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 06:00 PM

I just kinda cringe when I hear people say they shot at something and they didn't know what it was. Glad you are pumped on your stag, but scary as hell to think people do investigative shooting and at 325 yards. Sandhill crane, whooping crane - look similar, both can be dinner - but only one sends you to prison. I think rule number one or two of hunting is know your target? Maybe I am wrong.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: TxYoteHunter
I had to hoist that sucker up into the truck. Not as young as I used to be ya know.

Haha nice work then Im sure 385. Jus tlloked tied down.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas
I just kinda cringe when I hear people say they shot at something and they didn't know what it was. Glad you are pumped on your stag, but scary as hell to think people do investigative shooting and at 325 yards. Sandhill crane, whooping crane - look similar, both can be dinner - but only one sends you to prison. I think rule number one or two of hunting is know your target? Maybe I am wrong.

I was thinking young elk, young stag, or some other exotic from the area. Wasn't sure what type of exotic. I ruled out man, cow, horse, family dog, etc...... So, knowing I wasn't looking at a stretch in the big house, I went for it. I've hunted long enough to think before I shoot. A 325 yard shot isn't that difficult either with some practice which I've done to that exact spot just in case an opportunity presents itself. That's why the .270 was handy. That's the one I've practiced that shot with.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: AdvTX
That is awesome! Any chasing going on up there? headed to Foard this Friday

I only saw 2 does running the fields and an 8 pt trailing slowly with his nose in the air but he wasn't in any hurry.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 06:41 PM

I was thinking young elk, young stag, or some other exotic from the area. Wasn't sure what type of exotic. I ruled out man, cow, horse, family dog, etc...... So, knowing I wasn't looking at a stretch in the big house, I went for it. I've hunted long enough to think before I shoot. A 325 yard shot isn't that difficult either with some practice which I've done to that exact spot just in case an opportunity presents itself. That's why the .270 was handy. That's the one I've practiced that shot with.
And, had you have been wrong, we wouldn't reading about it on THF. Two words: Camp Meat!

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 06:52 PM

Pretty sure you made the right choice... I'd kick myself for passing up on that guy! The meat is unbelievable! And it's not like there's too many things it could've been other than an escaped exotic! Might not have known what it was but I bet he was pretty sure it wasn't a Whooping Crane!

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 07:01 PM

Haha oh, ok I got it - if it is an "escaped exotic" that means you can shoot it with no legal recourse? So 2 years ago if I would have shot a scimitar oryx, I could have said "I figured it was an escaped exotic and it looked like a gemsbok" to the game warden and I would have been free to go?
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 07:04 PM

God gives us lil'gifts everyday.......there was yours!! You will love how that thing eats! Very tasty!!! food
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 07:13 PM

Yep, are you north of town? They took one off one of our places two years ago, and have seen more. Escapee's can be shot on sight!

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 07:21 PM

Haha oh, ok I got it - if it is an "escaped exotic" that means you can shoot it with no legal recourse? So 2 years ago if I would have shot a scimitar oryx, I could have said "I figured it was an escaped exotic and it looked like a gemsbok" to the game warden and I would have been free to go?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Except you tell the game warden the truth. Next time rifle

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Yep, are you north of town? They took one off one of our places two years ago, and have seen more. Escapee's can be shot on sight!

I heard that several got out a gate that was accidentally left open by one of the helpers. May be more coming into the area this year.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 08:57 PM

Well you need to do a little research there coach, 2 years ago that exact scenario you are saying is ok would have landed you a pretty hefty fine. If an exotic escapes and comes on your place, yes you can shoot it - baring the fact that it is a legal animal to shoot....which was my original point on why you should know what you are shooting at. A barasingha was illegal to shoot at one point, can look very similar to this animal at 325 yards but hell - if you like to gamble then to each their own.
Posted By: jskin

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 09:32 PM

Well you need to do a little research there coach, 2 years ago that exact scenario you are saying is ok would have landed you a pretty hefty fine. If an exotic escapes and comes on your place, yes you can shoot it - baring the fact that it is a legal animal to shoot....which was my original point on why you should know what you are shooting at. A barasingha was illegal to shoot at one point, can look very similar to this animal at 325 yards but hell - if you like to gamble then to each their own.

a bara-what? Speak Texan boy!

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 09:46 PM

A bara-learn what google is....boy. Screw it, obviously I am in the minority. I'm all for you doing whatever you do on your own property so fire away.
Posted By: jskin

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 10:24 PM

A bara-learn what google is....boy. Screw it, obviously I am in the minority. I'm all for you doing whatever you do on your own property so fire away.

I ain't got all the fancy learning you got I guess! I'm just a po boy from a po family.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jskin

I ain't got all the fancy learning you got I guess! I'm just a po boy from a po family.

Freddy Mercury?
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 10:57 PM

Red stag with a bit of maranade can make some really good steaks. Congrats!

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 11:07 PM

I've never had Stag or Elk. Really looking forward to it.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/10/14 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: jskin

Preach on
Posted By: 68A

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 12:41 AM

Here in 2014 theres no closed season on exotics.
rifle deer2

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 12:44 AM

Tx Tatonkas - I looked up that Barasingha. That's a cool looking animal. And, it does resemble the young stag? Thank you sir for mentioning that. It's good to learn something new. Interesting reading.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 12:55 AM

You need to know what you are shooting some exotics require Federal permits. They may be legal game under Texas law, but shooting the wrong one, could put you in a world of hurt. I'm not sure of the current list but, White Lipped Deer, Eld's deer, Barasingha, and Pere David deer, have all required permits in the past.
Posted By: 240z

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 01:10 AM

Shooting an animal you can't identify? I'm glad it wasn't Nate , my Longhorn Steer!

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 01:53 AM

Now ya see, I know nothing about exotics so I had no idea that you may need a permit for certain ones. I thought (incorrectly maybe) if it was not native to Texas it was fair game. Crap, now there's more to consider when I see the strange creatures come into view. My head hurts already. Thanks for the info guys.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: 240z
Shooting an animal you can't identify? I'm glad it wasn't Nate , my Longhorn Steer!

Yeah really. There are lots of longhorns on the adjoining property. I see and hear them a lot. Big animals.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 02:22 AM

They are delicious.

Not the first I've heard of Red deer in Foard county.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/11/14 10:28 PM

Nice Kill!
Posted By: therancher

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/12/14 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
You need to know what you are shooting some exotics require Federal permits. They may be legal game under Texas law, but shooting the wrong one, could put you in a world of hurt. I'm not sure of the current list but, White Lipped Deer, Eld's deer, Barasingha, and Pere David deer, have all required permits in the past.

Pere David's are currently off that list. But barasinghas and elds deer are still on it. Shoot one of them, that escaped your neighbors ranch, and you better hope he's not irritated at you. One simple phone call can turn you straight into a felon with no right to own a firearm.

That's a serious penalty IMO.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/12/14 08:03 PM

Penalty for possessing the carcass of an exotic without owner's consent is a Class A misdemeanor. The way I interpret that is you can't hunt exotics without owner's consent.

That being said, I just called the Game Warden in Atascosa CO where I hunt. He said if it is clearly marked with ear tags, a collar, etc., just out of courtesy he would not shoot. However, once the animal gets out and wanders onto your property it is fair game.

I asked him specifically about the barasingha and he wasn't positive and didn't want to 'give bad advice'. He did mention that I should call US Fish and Wildlife to double check. I sent them an email so let's see if they reply.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/12/14 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Penalty for possessing the carcass of an exotic without owner's consent is a Class A misdemeanor. The way I interpret that is you can't hunt exotics without owner's consent.

That being said, I just called the Game Warden in Atascosa CO where I hunt. He said if it is clearly marked with ear tags, a collar, etc., just out of courtesy he would not shoot. However, once the animal gets out and wanders onto your property it is fair game.

I asked him specifically about the barasingha and he wasn't positive and didn't want to 'give bad advice'. He did mention that I should call US Fish and Wildlife to double check. I sent them an email so let's see if they reply.

Tatonkas, not trying to prove any points, but if you're right it's something not many of us knew about and definitely should.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/12/14 11:47 PM

That's true. As I said earlier, not having any idea about exotics and growing up thinking ANY non-native animal such as these are fair game could start a problem for someone on a big scale apparently.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 01:29 AM

I'm interested to hear what they say, I've always wondered what the actual penalty for shooting an animal that the feds say is illegal to shoot is. Have heard it's a felony, but never heard of it actually happening to someone. Kinda crazy laws, young ones can all look really similar.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 06:27 AM

I am positive about barasingha being on the ESA. Just recieved a message from the Exotic Wildlife Association about the fact that they are still listed. As are Eld's deer. It takes a CITES permit to kill one.

Without the proper permit in hand you are violating the ESA (endangered species act).

Here is a link to a simple handbook that explains in the 4th paragraph what the penalties are. And don't be confused by the word "unintentional" at the end. Unintentional is NOT shooting without knowing, as the OP stated beginning this thread. Unintentional would be like accidentally hitting one driving down the road. http://www.endangeredspecieshandbook.org/legislation_endangered.php

Here is a link to the CITES info. Barasingha are listed as one of the 1200 species in Appendix 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES#Appendix_I

It doesn't surprise me that a Texas game warden wouldn't know the penalties assciated with ESA, as it is a federal law.

Boiled down, if you shoot a barasingha or elds deer without a CITES permit you are committing a federal felony.

And I can assure you that federal game wardens will attempt to punish an offender with the maximum penalty.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 06:55 AM

Here's the message I recieved yesterday from the EWA with the listed animals. The animals on this list are all protected by the ESA and carry the same penalties if killed by ANYONE without the proper permits.

EWA Members,

We are again asking for your assistance as your association attempts to remove five more species from the Endangered Species Act that are currently listed by U.S. Fish & Wildlife as endangered or threatened in their native lands but have strong numbers in the United States. These five animals are the Barasingha, Arabian Oryx, Eld's deer, Grevy's Zebra, and Red Lechwe.

Without the onerous restrictions of the ESA we would see their populations increase just as the numbers did for the Scimitar Horned Oryx, Addax, and Dama Gazelle when they received the exemption from the ESA in September 2005.

Please click the link below to complete the survey. You will not be asked for your name or ranch identification, we are only looking for numbers. If you know of others with these species who are not EWA members, we ask that you encourage them to visit our website and complete the survey. An accurate accounting of each of these species will be vital to the upcoming legislative process.

Endangered Species Survey

Thank you for your assistance.

Charly Seale
Executive Director
(830) 928-3158
charly@myewa.org

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 04:30 PM

Good info. Thanks for taking the time to get that. up

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 04:57 PM

Not a problem. You have a willingness to listen and learn, and that deserves good information.

You were in fact perfectly legal in killing that stag. But had it been another species there could have been problems.

I'll go ahead and post another law that many may not know. If your neighbors bison stroll onto your property, you are not allowed to just shoot them. They are covered under the estray law just like cattle. Which means you must attempt to notify the owner and allow them to remove them and compensate you for any damage.

Of course, you actually CAN shoot them, as some here said they would shoot ANY exotic, but you would then be subject to the penalties of said laws. wink

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

Not a problem. You have a willingness to listen and learn, and that deserves good information.

You were in fact perfectly legal in killing that stag. But had it been another species there could have been problems.

I'll go ahead and post another law that many may not know. If your neighbors bison stroll onto your property, you are not allowed to just shoot them. They are covered under the estray law just like cattle. Which means you must attempt to notify the owner and allow them to remove them and compensate you for any damage.

Of course, you actually CAN shoot them, as some here said they would shoot ANY exotic, but you would then be subject to the penalties of said laws. wink

cheers
Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 05:33 PM

Great kill

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/13/14 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

cheers

And please let us know when the USFWS responds to your request. I'll be the first to admit that laws are complex and difficult to interpret. And subject to change.

Re: 385 lb 4 point buck in Foard County - 11/15/14 02:40 PM

Bump to see if USFWS ever responded to your request.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum