Texas Hunting Forum

Black panther? Or am i crazy

Posted By: Garett

Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:02 PM

So we just purchased land in freestone county last weekend that hasn't been used in many years. We have seen tons of deer but they other evening we saw something that we can't explain. The grass around the hole land is about 3-4 feet tall since it hasn't been used but when we were sitting in a deer blind the other day we some something back sticking out walking into the woods. Had shoulder blades that moved like a cat. Are their black Coyotes or is it possible for us to have a black panther?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:07 PM

Black coyote would actually be possible, black Panthers are not.

My vote is hog.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:09 PM

Could be a black panther. I know on my father in law's place in Freestone co they have seen a few over the years.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:12 PM

coach Black panthers, the mythical creature of campfire lore. This ought to get good. popcorn

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:23 PM

I'm am 100% positive it was not a hog, it had a completely different body. My best guess is black coyote or neighbor dog or something. But this thing moved much differently that a dog, but who knows
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:25 PM

worthless
Posted By: jseago

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:31 PM

Jaguarundi, the tail is the tell all. Did you see it's tail.
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:33 PM

popcorn
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:34 PM

A buddy of mine used to have a place in Rock Springs. He saw what he thought was a black panther right at dark one evening so he shot, dropped it. Turned out to be a black HOUSE CAT!!! Haha how's that for a campfire story??? (This is a true story)

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:38 PM

Did no see a tail but has I said the grass was up to this things back since it's over grown so his tail would have to be up in the air. Hopefully we will find something on our game cameras
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:43 PM

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 03:56 PM

I saw bigfoot, we had a beer.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:03 PM

welcome to THF.

You'll find that there are some things that should be phrased in very protected ways on this forum!
Posted By: Redneck_Hunter

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:06 PM

If I see something I cant identify, I usually check for any tracks that may have been left behind.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:21 PM

I'm not gonna say you didn't see a lion, i have once seen a Mountain Lion in east Texas, but it was a plain ole brown one, they do roam allover the state. It was late in the evening, so it could have been just a plain ole brown lion. Do a google search on Melanistic Mountain Lions, and see what you find out.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:21 PM

the grass was too tall where he was walking for there to be tracks but we do have paw prints all of our land. most are obviously coyotes but we saw a pair that were different from all the others with the two middle toes sticking out farther. the print wasn't round like all the others
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:24 PM

sure does make you think twice when your walking into your stand early morning ..lol
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:29 PM

Barn vat
Posted By: Curly

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
worthless

and even then....... grin
Posted By: davvy

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:34 PM

Caught a melanistic lynx in Alaska so I'm sure there has to be a few bobcats like that around ?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Curly
worthless

and even then....... grin

roflmao
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 07:20 PM

Could be black panther. We have a few roaming around. We are west of you though.
Posted By: cp50948

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 07:40 PM

There is no such thing as a black panther. There are only melanistic versions of Mtn. Lions, Bobcats, coyotes etc. Black Jaguars natural range stops at southern Texas. Maybe someones big cat pet escaped. Do a quick google search and you'll find all the info you need on this subject.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 07:50 PM

I googled and found my own reply that says they do exist.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Could be a black panther. I know on my father in law's place in Freestone co they have seen a few over the years.

No, no they have not.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: cp50948
There is no such thing as a black panther. There are only melanistic versions of Mtn. Lions, Bobcats, coyotes etc. Black Jaguars natural range stops at southern Texas. Maybe someones big cat pet escaped. Do a quick google search and you'll find all the info you need on this subject.

There is no melanistic version of a mountain lion.
Posted By: jseago

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 07:56 PM

Google leads people to believe that bigfoot exists...

Jaguarundi's summer range is south texas, but they have made it as far north as East Texas. I have seen one at 45 yds. Over the years, people who I know and trust have seen them also. Take it or leave it.
Posted By: mdcamp

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 07:59 PM

lived in the country, leon county 30 years, they are here whatever you care to call them they are here. If you are ever out at night and one of them screams even relatively close you will know they are here. Makes the hair stand straight up on the back of your neck.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 08:01 PM

"Sorry I had a fight in the middle of your black panther party."

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 08:07 PM

I worked a Black Panther demonstration at the State Capitol once. I heard one of them scream and you're right. The hair on my neck (and everywhere else) stood on end. Jeeze, she had some lungs.
Posted By: offinthewoods

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 09:59 PM

Did it look kinda like this critter Garett?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 10:05 PM

I had some family friends living down in STX near Basthop, after the wild fires. they had called me to come down set up cameras because they had seen tracks of a cat or big dog they said, totally unsure telling me the desceiption. Well then a donkey 3 goats where mangeled by some animal they said. So I loaded up and came placed cameras and got the critter eating on some beef liver I placed out.. Needles to say week of sitting he never showed up ..
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 10:09 PM

black barn cat...I bet you have a few less critters because of it too
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/10/14 10:13 PM

I've had the privilege of seeing a half dozen mountain lions in the wild, and a couple I was able to observe them for several minutes.
Sunshine and shadows can play tricks on the eyes. I've seen one appear black only to step into the sunlight and turn a bright tan.
Yes, there is no doubt in my mind people have seen what they believe to be black panthers.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 12:12 AM

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 12:48 AM

To the skeptics.. There have been three confirmed cases of black mt lions. They are not fiction just incredibly rare. Most notably Miguel Ruiz Herrero killed one in 1959 which was confirmed by a zoology professor . Also the jaguar does appear in the color and the one they tagged and fitted with a GPS outside Tulsan Arizona in 2012 has been tracked moving as far north as grand canyon np farthest north outpost. Meaning though unlikely, it it possible he op is correct.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: davvy
To the skeptics.. There have been three confirmed cases of black mt lions. They are not fiction just incredibly rare. Most notably Miguel Ruiz Herrero killed one in 1959 which was confirmed by a zoology professor . Also the jaguar does appear in the color and the one they tagged and fitted with a GPS outside Tulsan Arizona in 2012 has been tracked moving as far north as grand canyon np farthest north outpost. Meaning though unlikely, it it possible he op is correct.

One faded photograph of what was described as a "dusky" colored cat by Miguel Ruiz Herroro. I am now convinced. rolleyes Links to the other 2 of these "confirmed cases" if you don't mind.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 12:57 AM

We've got a black coyote on our place.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

One faded photograph of what was described as a "dusky" colored cat by Miguel Ruiz Herroro. I am now convinced. rolleyes Links to the other 2 of these "confirmed cases" if you don't mind.

. from my understanding they don't present as a true black but rather a dark dusky gray with slightly lighter underbelly.

I don't remember the details of the other two but I'll try..
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:21 AM

worthless

Agreed cool

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:25 AM

. Only makes small mention to the case but it's the best I found on short notice. I'm sure you can find a more in depth article with a little digging.
http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2007/06/01/multiple-new-species-of-large/

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:26 AM

. from my understanding they don't present as a true black but rather a dark dusky gray with slightly lighter underbelly.

I don't remember the details of the other two but I'll try..

So what you are saying is, there are three confirmed cases of "dusky gray" mountain lion not a true black mountain lion(which does not exist).
Posted By: DesertDog

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:29 AM

I saw a black coyote while hunting with my Grandfather about 30 years ago, just outside of Fairfield in Freestone County. I will never forget those times hunting with the Oldtimer.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:35 AM

To clarify my statement. I should have said Melanistic, not black. The second issue to that is that the world's leading zoologist specializing in new species discovery (you can find the info on him in my last post) is currently working out the paperwork for the distinction of a new subspecies that is described as (generally black in color.)

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:38 AM

With all the TC in use here in Texas you would think someone would have gotten one clear picture of a melanistic or dusky gray or black cat. Yet there is none. Same for Bigfoot. Not one clear confirmed pic. Why is that? nidea
Posted By: wtr

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:48 AM

People who have seen all these black panthers crack me up. The rancher on our last lease said he's seen about 5 on the land. I was like sure you have buddy.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:01 AM

With all the TC in use here in Texas you would think someone would have gotten one clear picture of a melanistic or dusky gray or black cat. Yet there is none. Same for Bigfoot. Not one clear confirmed pic. Why is that? nidea

agree for the most part. In my opinion 99.9 % of accounts are false, exaggerated or mistakenly identified.

my point is that 99.9 % of Chinese are under 6' but Yao Ming exists.
no matter how remote, the possibility exists that there is one somewhere and whose to say op didn't see it?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:07 AM

Can not see what does not exist.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:07 AM

That's not a good example because while much of China is full of small people, there are areas that have historically produced large numbers of enormous people.

There are literally zero occurrences of black panthers in Texas, other than those in a zoo. And having done the research, there are zero reports of black panthers having escaped from zoos. Sure, somebody could have smuggled a couple in that escaped at some point, but a good 15% of this board not only believes they or someone they know has seen one, they've typically seen several of them.

It's so absurd it's hilarious. Which is why I love this topic.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:23 AM

I was at my farm last week and saw a black panther, Bigfoot, and a Chupa. I shot them all in the neck with my DPMS .223 at a confirmed 1080 yards. They were all DRT. I had them all gathered for a group selfie-but then Puff The Magic Dragon swooped down and carried them all off.

At least that's what I remember.....

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:25 AM

not a good one maybe but you get the point.

and what's referred to as a black panther escaping from zoo's are jaguars not puma's. No one could possibly denied within reason the existence of black jaguar. The existence or witch has been well documented and studied both in captivity and in the wild

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:28 AM

and what's referred to as a black panther escaping from zoo's are jaguars not puma's. No one could possibly denied within reason the existence of black jaguar. The existence or witch has been well documented and studied both in captivity and in the wild

Yes. So have Komodo Dragons and Panda bears. Don't mean you're gonna see one roaming a pasture in Freestone County, TX.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I was at my farm last week and saw a black panther, Bigfoot, and a Chupa. I shot them all in the neck with my DPMS .223 at a confirmed 1080 yards. They were all DRT. I had them all gathered for a group selfie-but then Puff The Magic Dragon swooped down and carried them all off.

At least that's what I remember.....

if you see puff again make sure to call me! I've been wanting me some more dragon meat!
Posted By: drakecutter

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

No, no they have not.

roflmao

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:31 AM

What has better odds? Seeing a black mountain lion/panther or winning the Mega Millions Lottery with it is well over $100,000,000+?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:31 AM

Not in the wild in Texas.

And yes, I know they exist. So do narwhal. See any of those swimming the Trinity lately?
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:35 AM

And yes, I know they exist. So do narwhal. See any of those swimming the Trinity lately?

No but I've seen them up here in the Red peep

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:36 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/red-panda-missing

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:38 AM

http://www.edu.pe.ca/southernkings/jaguar.htm
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:39 AM

Chupacabra?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:41 AM

The picture I posted is 100% true no photo shop nor editing.. That cat had killed goats and donkeys.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:43 AM

The picture I posted is 100% true no photo shop nor editing.. That cat had killed goats and donkeys.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: offinthewoods

Were the goats and donkeys the Pygmy Goats and Minature Donkeys by chance? Even then I would think a house cat like the one above when still be in for a surprise.
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:50 AM

http://www.gonzalesinquirer.com/news/article_5ee31547-279e-5a4b-bb8e-37bff44f98a9.html

Never know what you gonna find South of I-10

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:50 AM

Hey, I see you know Puff too! up

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:53 AM

Stx --- maybe? What else?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:56 AM

Stx -- if you can tell me what was at the entrance of the gate. I'm gonna say this is a small [censored] world lmao

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 02:56 AM

Stx --- maybe? What else?

Not even maybe. hammer Look at the pics before and after for size reference as to what that house cat is standing next to.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:01 AM

I'm trying to find the other pics of the cat. I'm going threw my old Sim cards its deff bigger then it looks ..

Also in one picture it has what I call Ghost Spots
Posted By: Bubba270

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:04 AM

My only question is why is everyone so sure they know everything that is and is not in the woods. It's not hard to stay away from people all your life if you are a wild animal. I meen just think out of all the deer we have on camera and we think we see them all but year after year old bucks live and die they we never knew where alive until we find a half eatin body.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:08 AM

Agree BUBBA

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:10 AM

The tracks left and around the pond they have where as big as my palm. Not of a cyote nor house cat.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:11 AM

Millions of trail cameras are running every day in Texas. Not one single pic of a black mountain lion/panther. Wonder why?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Bubba270
My only question is why is everyone so sure they know everything that is and is not in the woods. It's not hard to stay away from people all your life if you are a wild animal. I meen just think out of all the deer we have on camera and we think we see them all but year after year old bucks live and die they we never knew where alive until we find a half eatin body.

Entire species are a little different than individual members within a native species. I know what species are in/not in certain places because I have some outdoor experience. Plus, I know how to read.
Posted By: jkrugby

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:33 AM

Monster quest did an entire show on the existence of black panthers/mt lions and every case that had video or photographic evidence proved to be a black house cat. The problem is at range, people's depth perception is off and believe the cat is much larger than normal. Scientists also claim that there is no confirmed existence of melanistic mt lion ever being born in captivity or even the genetic anomaly for one to exist. My conclusion, they don't exist. Stay in the woods long enough and your eyes will fool you.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:39 AM

Entire species are a little different than individual members within a native species. I know what species are in/not in certain places because I have some outdoor experience. Plus, I know how to read.

maybe you choose not to? Polor and grizzly bears don't cross but they do, in the coarse of a year 4 different species of lizard were discovered in California, a new subspecies of white tail, new frog in central park,freshwater shark in Australia that gets at least 6', two new large predators in south America with a possible third that's not been classified yet, wolves in Missouri - who's to say you're better at finding theses things than anyone else?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:43 AM

You just made everyone's point.

We find their half eaten body.

Or their skeleton.

Or their sheds.

Or their body dead on the road.

There is literally zero evidence of black panthers. They don't get hit by cars. They don't die of natural causes apparently. The magically evade each of the 2000000 game cameras in the Texas woods.

They don't exist here. They never have. They're no different than bigfoot.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:58 AM

If you have never in your life seen something that you can not explain while you are out in the woods, then you have not been in the woods enough.
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:09 AM

did someone say black panthers?

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:12 AM

http://gonzalescannon.com/2014/02/13/be-aware-hunters-big-cats-arent-alien-to-these-parts/

I think this one just got published in this weeks local paper.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:24 AM

If you have never in your life seen something that you can not explain while you are out in the woods, then you have not been in the woods enough.

So what does that mean exactly? That if you haven't seen a black panther you are not an experienced woodsman? Oh, OK. rolleyes

I have been in the woods plenty. I have seen things I can't explain. But I simply say I saw something I can't explain. I don't call them black panthers, Bigfoot, Chupas, or the Blair Witch.

Lordy, IDK why I am on here.....
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

I worked a Black Panther demonstration at the State Capitol once. I heard one of them scream and you're right. The hair on my neck (and everywhere else) stood on end. Jeeze, she had some lungs.

Blahahahahahaha roflmao

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:39 AM

No I didn't say that at all but it proves my point. We all have seen somethin we can not explain so how can we dismiss someone else's claim of what they saw.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:40 AM

You learn a lot about people on these threads.....
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:41 AM

Meh....popcorn

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:42 AM

Meh...popcorn

Posted By: Bowmaster

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:43 AM

coach El Cuppa Stinkin Cabbra has returned! elmer

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:44 AM

I sure wish we had cell phones with camera's back in the 80's like we do today. I bet I caught a half dozen wild black cats that look pretty big. I remember one we caught in a snare at the barn that my dad had the back legs up to his chest and the front legs were on the ground (my dad is 5' 10").

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:45 AM

You just made everyone's point.

We find their half eaten body.

Or their skeleton.

Or their sheds.

Or their body dead on the road.

There is literally zero evidence of black panthers. They don't get hit by cars. They don't die of natural causes apparently. The magically evade each of the 2000000 game cameras in the Texas woods.

They don't exist here. They never have. They're no different than bigfoot.

How would you know the skeleton of a large cat was a black cat...or that it wasn't confused2

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:48 AM

Just look at his sheds, loco

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Just look at his sheds, loco

hammer And there you have it rofl

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:59 AM

Where is Colt 45? nidea
Colt, if you aint too busy playin laser tag tonight....... aim
Can you cifer up for us how many acres Texas is and also come up with a number of how many game cameras there are based on the total number of licences sales at 3 cameras per licence?
I would do it, but the Novocaine wore off about 3 hours ago and I been up ince 2am. eek2

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:04 AM

With all these black panther sightings, why isn't there a season for them? By all accounts I hear about, there are more black panthers than 180" low fence deer.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:05 AM

I darn sure don't want these black panthers mating with my pink unicorns....

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:06 AM

I posted proof, and still non-believers...unbelievable bang

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
Where is Colt 45? nidea
Colt, if you aint too busy playin laser tag tonight....... aim
Can you cifer up for us how many acres Texas is and also come up with a number of how many game cameras there are based on the total number of licences sales at 3 cameras per licence?
I would do it, but the Novocaine wore off about 3 hours ago and I been up ince 2am. eek2

About 1.5 million licenses
4.5 million cameras
Camera covers approx 1 acre
About 168 million acres in texas
163.5 million acres not covered by cameras in Texas...

Can't write like colt, but he would say:

up yep gonna make a pappy sammich and flush cuz they was rifle and I was peep but no one was hurt. As pappy always said grab a pander by da tale and you gonna get bit flag

I am postaddic upflag

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:14 AM

Txhtr --- I myself have proof I believe that they are in STX. The local GW even came when my family called. They stated that the other people in the area had seen the same cat on camera and dead animals from it.

TheGW said the Wild Fires had possibly run them to there area. Since it was a heavy wooded area and semi rocky.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
With all these black panther sightings, why isn't there a season for them? By all accounts I hear about, there are more black panthers than 180" low fence deer.

Cause nobody makes a Kitty Chow feeder to lure them in.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:20 AM

Txhtr --- I myself have proof I believe that they are in STX. The local GW even came when my family called. They stated that the other people in the area had seen the same cat on camera and dead animals from it.

TheGW said the Wild Fires had possibly run them to there area. Since it was a heavy wooded area and semi rocky.

I am not questioning your evidence...well, yes I am...but do you have any other game pics from that same set up that shows another animal for reference on size? From the structure of that cat, it looks like a big Tom, but still a house cat.

I assume you are talking about the picture that you posted earlier in this thread.

I actually wouldn't be as surprised as most on this forum if one was shot. A little different than a BF in my opion, simply because there are big black cats known in the world and some even in Texas. Though there is absolutely no proof of a black mountain lion or panther, there are large black cats like the jaguar that were considered native to Texas at one time. Also, black bobcats and jaguarandi have been captured and seen.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Can't write like colt, but he would say:

up yep gonna make a pappy sammich and flush cuz they was rifle and I was peep but no one was hurt. As pappy always said grab a pander by da tale and you gonna get bit flag

I am postaddic upflag

F|_|(k!ng hysterical!
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:47 AM

True story. Old neighbors of mine, when they first moved in, saw a black panther. When they were telling me about the encounter I listened and put on my best 'yo-that's-scary-stuff' face until they went into such great detail saying "We were so close we could see its green eyes - they were gorgeous". Well folks, that blank panther was my 15 pound house cat, Cole.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
True story. Old neighbors of mine, when they first moved in, saw a black panther. When they were telling me about the encounter I listened and put on my best 'yo-that's-scary-stuff' face until they went into such great detail saying "We were so close we could see its green eyes - they were gorgeous". Well folks, that blank panther was my 15 pound house cat, Cole.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

worthless

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 11:27 AM

Bastrop is not STX.
I was at a WMA meeting in early October when the GW was giving his annual Q&A part of the meeting. Someone ask him about a "lion" they had seen and was worried about it killing all the game and livestock in their area. First question GW ask him was "do you own a trail camera"? He said yes. He asked him if he had any pics of the "lion" he had been seeing. The man answer no. Then the GW asked everyone in the audience to show their hands if they owned a trail camera. Everyone raised their hands. He then asked them how many had gotten any pics of a mountain lion. Not one person said yes. He went on to say, that of course mountain lions do exist but he said they are rare. If they were more common and seen on a regular basis they would be seen more often on trail cams especially from this group that ranged over the whole county with their land. Mountains are known to exist and are killed/seen. They get pics of them. But yet not one single pic of this black mountain lion/panther. Again, why? The GW that came by in your case probably said it might have been a mountain lion, but I can assure you he did not say it was a black mountain or panther. I am sure all those other people had a black cat on their cameras, but it was not a black mountain lion/panther. Mountain Lion, maybe but not black. Bobcat, probably. Black house cat like you have a pic of, absolutely.
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 01:22 PM

It's discussions like these that make me lose my faith in mankind.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:02 PM

Back when I was homicide investigator we investigated every death case. Our approach was to investigate it as a homicide until the evidence clearly showed that it was not. Then form a conclusion based on the evidence.

Take a similar approach with black wild cats, bigfootuses, chupacabras, dragons and other mythical creatures. The lack of evidence of their existence is clear evidence that they DO NOT exist, except in the minds of imaginative and foolish people.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:03 PM

Back when I was homicide investigator we investigated every death case. Our approach was to investigate it as a homicide until the evidence clearly showed that it was not. Then form a conclusion based on the evidence.

Take a similar approach with black wild cats, bigfootuses, chupacabras, dragons and other mythical creatures. The lack of evidence of their existence is clear evidence that they DO NOT exist, except in the minds of imaginative and foolish people.

But I posted proof!!!! grin

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:10 PM

Then you fall into the category highlighted in red. grin

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:10 PM

But it is picture proofs confused2

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:20 PM

But it is picture proofs confused2

Okay now you fall into the category highlighted in green, also roflmao

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:22 PM

Okay now you fall into the category highlighted in green, also roflmao

confused2 But they are pictures of big black cats!!!! Go back and look. Show me one that isn't a big black cat or couldn't be mistaken for a big black cat. People are seeing them everywhere!!! They are real!!! You are wrong!!!

....ah hell, even I can't keep arguing on this side of the argument bang

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:24 PM

rofl roflmao

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 03:57 PM

txshntr, you can't say that nonsense with a straight face.

Something else that I've learned from all my detective work is that eyewitness testimony is the most subjective and least dependable.

I've had cases where I had video of an incident and 4 or 5 witnesses. The witness accounts are never the same and more often than not, they do not jive with the video. It's the human condition. Our recollection of events is subjected to our feelings, emotions, impressions, prior experiences, beliefs, etc. All of those factors play a significant role in how we recall an event.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:02 PM

Something else that I've learned from all my detective work is that eyewitness testimony is the most subjective and least dependable.

I've had cases where I had video of an incident and 4 or 5 witnesses. The witness accounts are never the same and more often than not, they do not jive with the video. It's the human condition. Our recollection of events is subjected to our feelings, emotions, impressions, prior experiences, beliefs, etc. All of those factors play a significant role in how we recall an event.

I gave it a damn good effort.

I believe that the people that see black panthers truly believe they saw a black panther. I have a cousin that lives in ETX and swears he has seen three. I believe him and he is as honest as they come. I don't believe he saw one, but believe he thinks he did.

In one of my CJ classes, they had a guy come in and get into an argument with the teacher, then run off. Teacher kept teaching after the incident and 5 minutes later had the class write a description. The results were comical. There were 50 people in that class and no one got everything right and some were so far off it was scary.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:13 PM

I gave it a damn good effort.

I believe that the people that see black panthers truly believe they saw a black panther. I have a cousin that lives in ETX and swears he has seen three. I believe him and he is as honest as they come. I don't believe he saw one, but believe he thinks he did.

In one of my CJ classes, they had a guy come in and get into an argument with the teacher, then run off. Teacher kept teaching after the incident and 5 minutes later had the class write a description. The results were comical. There were 50 people in that class and no one got everything right and some were so far off it was scary.

Perzactly

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 04:21 PM

Hey y'all I saw a black whitetail on my place. I don't have any pictures but I seen him I swear. Black as day I mean dark as black. Anyways that brings me to my next point don't do drugs.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: drakecutter

No, no they have not.

roflmao

Call it how you see fit, but he's not one to bs

If you want to use a technical term go for it, doesn't hurt my feelings. All I know is my FIL and MIL both saw a "black panther", black mountain lion, whatever you want to call it, behind his house, and has also seen one out on their ranch.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Hey y'all I saw a black whitetail on my place. I don't have any pictures but I seen him I swear. Black as day I mean dark as black. Anyways that brings me to my next point don't do drugs.

There's lots of black (melanistic) deer in Texas. I've got pics of a few and have posted them here. That still doesn't change the fact that there aren't black pumas, cougars, mountain lion, panthers or any other similar critter.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: drakecutter

No, no they have not.

roflmao

Call it how you see fit, but he's not one to bs

If you want to use a technical term go for it, doesn't hurt my feelings. All I know is my FIL and MIL both think they saw a "black panther", black mountain lion, whatever you want to call it, behind his house, and has also seen one out on their ranch.

No one will ever argue that they think they saw something. Just they did not see a black panther or black moutain lion.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 05:39 PM

guess someone spray painted it then cuz it sure wasn't a house cat roflmao
Posted By: dj0dbu

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 09:42 PM

So I typically get on this site every day and read what's going on in the world of deer hunting, and look at few new pics of dirt napped dear, but I rarely ever speak up because I'm not sure I would add value to the thread, but now I feel like I have to say something after reading all of this.......

Back in 2002 off of 380 my dad had some land and a camera out. He had his house on it, and we didn't hunt there, but we kept the camera out for fun. There was a confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in the area so we always hoped we'd get a pic. THEN....IT HAPPENED. Except it was even better, it was a young panther! Black as night, and in a tree. We immediately called the game warden, and he was stunned at out picture. So he called a biologist, and before we knew it there was a game warden and biologist standing in my dad's living room looking at his pics of his camera. Then the biologist laughed so hard.....She told us it was a grey fox. My response, "No way! It's black, looks like a cat and is in a tree." The game warden agreed. She told us that a fox can climb a tree (only K9 that can). She also said they can be black and get quite large, and from 30 yards look like a cat.

I had to test this theory. So I put out a trap, AND I CAUGHT IT!!! Darn woman knows her foxes. I caught a 38 pound really dark almost black grey fox that on camera from 30 yards away looks like a cat. I was more than disappointed, and humbled.

So to the point of someone seeing a panther, I too believe they thought they saw one. But after the biologist came out and confirmed my impressive fox capture she told me a black panther is a myth and don't exist anywhere on the planet. What we're "seeing" is most likely a melanistic ocelot or bobcat (which have been confirmed according to her). It's also possibly a stray large tom. She also said there's no such thing as a melanistic mountain lion recorded anywhere in captivity or in the wild.

There is a melanistic leopard that lives in Asia (many of them), and there is a such thing as a melanistic jaguar that ranges from Mexico to southern Arizona. She confirmed that too. Of course I asked, could one exist in Texas? Her response was, "our habitat could support one, but there's no documented jaguar melanistic or not since the early 20th century. So one could wonder or be pushed here, but you're more likely to win the lottery."

So after reading this entire thread of people knowing what they saw, and winning the lottery, etc. I felt like I had to share my story. I knew what I saw too. I even had pics. I didn't believe in them, until I was "positive I saw one too." I was wrong, but straight from the biologists mouth it's possible. You're just more likely to win the lottery.

Last thing, to Txshntr........the pics of 9/3/07 and 1/23/14 make me belive there's some melanistic cat out there, but not a panther. But far too big to be something I'd like to run into. I'd like to know where those pics were from? The other pics looked like big house cats to me. Except the pics from 1/18/12 and 1/02/00. Those looked like my big ol' grey fox panther. lol.

Sorry for the long post. Panthers don't exist. melanistic animals do. It was probably a coyote, or bobcat, or something melanistic. I even once believed in Santa. He's not even melanistic.

So to sum it up the best I know how I'll quote Jim Carey from Dumb and Dumber "So you're saying there's a chance!"

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 09:52 PM

A 38 lb grey fox? popcorn

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

There's lots of black (melanistic) deer in Texas. I've got pics of a few and have posted them here. That still doesn't change the fact that there aren't black pumas, cougars, mountain lion, panthers or any other similar critter.

I was just messing around. shhheesh some of the threads sure get heated.
Posted By: dj0dbu

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 09:58 PM

No. 28 lb. grey fox. Someone decided to put the 2 next to the 3 on the keyboard. And yes, that's still huge I know, and if you still want to chomp the popcorn you can. None the less, it's what we had climbing a tree that sure looked like a 50 lb cat, but wasn't. (this message was proffed for typo's)
Posted By: JCB

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 10:00 PM

I don't think I have even killed a 38lb Yote. eek

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/11/14 10:03 PM

One thing no one has mentioned is Fort Worth was at one point among many nick names called panther city. I believe the story was one or multiple black panthers were kept by the fire department and at some point released them because they were a hassle or something. Some of the cities older architecture I believe it is the post office includes panthers carvings. I could be way off but hey maybe one of them survived and has populated the state and no one has proved however unlikely.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/12/14 12:29 AM

Time to put out some good game cameras that shoot 5 plus seconds of 1080P video for filming.
then the truth will be there! Have 1 running now and it shows it all!
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/12/14 12:35 AM

Paradise Panthers. Paradise I.S.D.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/12/14 12:39 AM

This thread is a trip.

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/12/14 12:41 AM

This thread is a trip.

And you keep coming back....can't stand being wrong can ya grin

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/12/14 01:14 AM

This thread is a trip.

And you keep coming back....can't stand being wrong can ya grin

Lol I guess I've got a lot to learn.....
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/12/14 01:35 AM

to those of you who HAVENT seen one its pure fodder and fun to talk chit about something you werent fortunate enough to see...my grandfather and i saw one almost 40 years ago and i'll take my grandfathers word what it was over a bunch of 2 bit city boys who wouldnt know their hind end from a hole in the ground....btw he was raised in Winkler fishing and hunting on the Richland and Tawakoni creeks in Freestone county good hunting there never know what you might see!

present company excluded of course! peep
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/14/14 06:23 AM

Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/14/14 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
to those of you who HAVENT seen one its pure fodder and fun to talk chit about something you werent fortunate enough to see...my grandfather and i saw one almost 40 years ago and i'll take my grandfathers word what it was over a bunch of 2 bit city boys who wouldnt know their hind end from a hole in the ground....btw he was raised in Winkler fishing and hunting on the Richland and Tawakoni creeks in Freestone county good hunting there never know what you might see!

present company excluded of course! peep

I'm sure your grandfather was sure of what he saw but he didn't see a black mountain lion. Black mountain lions do not exist. Black jaguars exist, black bobcats exist and black house cats exist and any eye witness accounts or pictures of black cats are one of the three.

If I was to see a very large black cat that was the size of a mountain lion I would know it wasn't a mountain lion.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/14/14 08:04 PM

this is better than the 3 stooges
Posted By: posqualie

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/15/14 12:23 AM

black cats in this area is known as a puma.just call fort worth zoo and ask,as my mom was a docent for 15yrs.we have seen them in wise county
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/15/14 01:07 AM

So with all the "black panther" sightings in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri,
Arkansas, and Louisiana I've read about over the last few years. You think one would be shot by now. If it's just a black mountain lion, why don't we ever see them in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico or Arizona, with all the hound hunters being so successful?! These guides/outfitters have great success, tracking and killing mountain lions........but we never see a black one.

Maybe someone should invite one of these hound hunters down here to Oklahoma and Texas to finally kill the elusive black cat! As many sightings as I've heard through internet forum stories, facebook, and face to face, they should surely be able to cut a track and tree a "black panther" in less than a day
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/15/14 03:36 AM

Use to have them visit the Dickens County area around Dumont for about a few weeks hunting and then disappeared...........
Posted By: mapc2005

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/15/14 06:44 PM

I live deep in the woods of East Texas. Very close to the Sabine River. There are woods on all four sides of our house. We don't really have neighbors. We have a spot at the edge of he woods where we discard our food waste. We are interested in what kind of animals we can attract. We also raise chickens, turkeys, and peafowl. A friend was over and noticed a black cat at the location of our waste pile. She quickly brought it to my attention. We were able to watch it for several minutes. It was larger than a house cat, but definitely not a full grown cat of the leopard family. The one thing we observed was the long tail. It had a very long slender tail almost the same length of its body and there was a small round clump of hair at the end of the tail. I got concerned for our turkeys since they are let out to roam during the day. So, I got my gun. I took aim and shot. I think I was a little excited. The cat jumped straight up and then ran into the woods. It was our opinions that it was not a house cat. From the internet and from a NATGEO show that air a day later, what we saw was a young big cat. Of course, our hunter friends find it hard to believe and probably do not believe it.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/15/14 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Garett
the grass was too tall where he was walking for there to be tracks but we do have paw prints all of our land. most are obviously coyotes but we saw a pair that were different from all the others with the two middle toes sticking out farther. the print wasn't round like all the others
Two middle toes sticking out further is a coyote.
Posted By: Matt1023

Re: Black panther? Or am i crazy - 11/15/14 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
So with all the "black panther" sightings in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri,
Arkansas, and Louisiana I've read about over the last few years. You think one would be shot by now. If it's just a black mountain lion, why don't we ever see them in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico or Arizona, with all the hound hunters being so successful?! These guides/outfitters have great success, tracking and killing mountain lions........but we never see a black one.

Maybe someone should invite one of these hound hunters down here to Oklahoma and Texas to finally kill the elusive black cat! As many sightings as I've heard through internet forum stories, facebook, and face to face, they should surely be able to cut a track and tree a "black panther" in less than a day

LOL. That quote is spot on. I just love all the stories of the oh so common "Texas Black Panther".
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum