Texas Hunting Forum

Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics)

Posted By: ZK-315

Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 02:53 PM

Well I had an eventful weekend.

Back story on the property...My father-in-law, his sister, and his brother own the property and lease it to hunters. My brother-in-law hunts as well and has his own stand, but is known to move from stand to stand...not getting into that whole story lol..

To begin the story, I've been seeing a good, heavy 10 on my TC and put him to the top of the hit list. Opening weekend I hunted fairly hard trying to get him in my sights, but never saw him. Last Sunday, my BIL said he's taking his in-laws out hunting the weekend before thanksgiving, and putting them in my stand, so I decided to hunt hard and heavy this past weekend so big daddy doesn't walk out for his in-laws.

I took Friday off work, and sat in the stand from about 5am till dark 30 that evening. It was a long day, but had quite a bit of activity going on. Saw a good sized pig early on, but decided to let her walk. She comes in early every morning and sticks around for about 15 minutes and leaves, all before the feeder goes off (according to all TC pics). I let her walk to not disturb the rest of the morning. Sure enough, she stuck around and then left in about 15 minutes.

Feeder goes off, and from 7:15 until about 11, I had my mainframe 9 with a split brow tine show up, another decent 9, young 8, and a little cull 7 without a brow tine on one side. He would have been shot if he was wide enough, but dang AR wouldn't allow it. Had a really wide, short tined 8 come out (i'll let the wife take him out, but she wasn't with me) and a tall narrow 10 point who both had an interest in a yerling so they took off after her. Around 4 had a young 7 point walk almost under my stand (box blind)and then just a bunch of does in the late evening.

No big daddy Friday, but saw 7 different bucks on Friday. That's alright, I cant get enough of watching some of God's greatest creations. I didn't get many pics of Fridays hunt, but here's a few. Sorry about pic quality, this was with my phone through my binos.

Here's that wide, short tined 8 that I want my wife to cull.

Here's my 9 with the split brow.

Crawled into the stand Saturday at 5am again, and the hunt was on. My sow never did show up, but a yerling did around 7:30. A young 8, and a bigger 8 walked out, and ate with the yerling. Something else showed up and the bigger 8 started bowing up and grunting, but I couldn't tell what it was. He stayed back in the brush for a little bit. Kind of neat watching that 8 get pissy lol. The split brow tine 9 finally walked out and I kept hoping to watch a fight, but he kept his distance. When the 8 bowed up I go my gun ready for whatever it was. Saw the 9 so videoed a little bit. (Again, sorry for quality.)

Here's the bigger 8

Let's see if this video works.
[img]http://vid1311.photobucket.com/albums/s6...zps0vt3lb1f.mp4[/img]

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:00 PM

I bet I tried for 10 minutes to try and get a decent video through the scope, but finally gave up. That was the best I could get lol. As soon as I put the phone away, all 3 bucks throw their head up and I look to my left, and there a big 8 staring at them and the feeder. Luckily I still had my gun up or he would have heard me getting it out the window. he was about 15 yards from me. He walks towards them a little bit, turns broadside and looks at me and I let him have it. By far the closest shot I've ever taken at 25 yards.

And here he is!

Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:04 PM

What a stud! Congrats..
Posted By: dee

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:07 PM

Very nice deer.
Posted By: Lennie76

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:09 PM

Nice Deer. Congrats!!!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:10 PM

Great deer!!! Sounds like a great weekend up
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:13 PM

Nice Animal, well done! cheers

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:16 PM

Thanks yall. It was a great weekend with a lot of activity. This buck wasn't the one on the top of my hit list, but I couldn't pass this guy up. This is a ghost deer. No one has seen him anywhere. No TC pics on mine or any of the other hunters. Not sure where he's been hiding.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:17 PM

Nice buck!!! Congrats!!!
Posted By: cowboy412

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:24 PM

Nice Buck! True Stud!

What kind of a sling is that or is that just a wrap by the sling?
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:28 PM

Dang, that is a big 8.

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboy412
Nice Buck! True Stud!

What kind of a sling is that or is that just a wrap by the sling?

The black thing? That's a RRR Gun Rest sleeve. My other BIL got me that a couple of years ago and I love it. It's made of neoprene and on the bottom side has some sort of gel insert for a little extra padding.

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:30 PM

Here's the link for it if you're interested. I'm about to order a couple more myself to put on my wife's gun and some stocking stuffers.

Here you go
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:42 PM

Very nice 8! up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:53 PM

cheers Fine looking 8 pointer. Congrats.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:55 PM

dang nice deer!

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:55 PM

And to add, this buck needed to go...lets just call him "Uno"...lol

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 03:59 PM

STX, want to rough score this guy? No one had a soft tape at camp or string, and I only had a regular tape measure. Inside spread was 18" and both g2s were 11", and I flat forgot the length of g3s
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevarino
What a stud! Congrats..
up
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 06:34 PM

Dang, that's a really good 8. Congratulations.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 06:37 PM

Rifle looks exactly like my Remington 700 .243 BDL. I like the .243. Very good caliber.

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 06:42 PM

Thanks. It's a Remington 700 30-06 BDL. I love it, and can drive nails with it.

I just recently picked up a, very hard to find, Remington 700 22-250 BDL as well for the wife. I didn't realize they quit making the bdl in the 22-250, but they stopped sometime in '93 or '94. I just love the looks of the BDL. Haven't had a chance to lay anything down with her gun yet, but I didn't have it in the stand with me Saturday morning, or it would have been its maiden voyage.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 07:45 PM

Nice buck! Congrats!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 08:41 PM

up very nice BIG 8 ... definitely would be hard to pass on that guy!
Posted By: HCGedge3

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 09:21 PM

Great buck! Congrats
Posted By: Western

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
Dang, that is a big 8.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 09:35 PM

That's an awesome 8! Congrats buddy!

Freestone County?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 09:37 PM

Good buck there.

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
That's an awesome 8! Congrats buddy!

Freestone County?

Thanks! Yes sir, freestone co.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 11:34 PM

Nice story and a great buck. I love those big 8's.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/10/14 11:40 PM

Wow. Great buck. Congrats cheers
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/11/14 01:20 AM

Great deer . Love them big 8's
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Eventful weekend (long read w/ pics) - 11/11/14 01:39 AM

Great Harvest of the Sacred Backstrap Venison Beast !
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum