Texas Hunting Forum

I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____

Posted By: bdotson

I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 12:24 PM

Having already killed my deer for the year I find myself thinking of past kills. I recall how different hunting was then. I was remembering the first deer I ever killed. And was wondering about others here. Do you recall the first deer you ever killed? Recall what equipment you used? Like your truck how was it equipped, Gun, light, camping supplies, deer processors, stands and blinds. Many things have changed since I first killed a deer and I thought this might be a good time to hear some of your stories also.
Posted By: sethcros

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 12:38 PM

This is my first full year of hunting, and so far I haven't killed anything yet. I am hunting public land, so I'm at least getting a lot of exercised with armed hiking. I know how gratifying it will be once I finally get on an animal. I did take a shot at a coyote at about 200 yards when on a hog hunt with my kid, but barely missed. My thirteen year old has a great eight point and a nice hog on his record, so I have some catching up to do!
Posted By: spg

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 12:47 PM

8yrs old, Bracketville, TX, 8 point, .270WIN Ruger M77 6x redfield scope, federal ammo, still have same gun. (29yrs ago)
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 12:51 PM

It's more work now, but still as much fun.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 12:52 PM

Mine was a spike near Bryan/College Station 46 years ago!!!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 01:00 PM

3 point. Camp Wood, TX. Winchester .30-30. Recoil knocked me over in my chair. I looked up and asked Daddy "Did I get him?" smile

42 years ago....
Posted By: Starett

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 01:08 PM

Junction tx 8 years old killed a doe with a 243, still have the tail of it to this day. 4x8 stand me and my dad built still hunt out of the same stand today.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 01:47 PM

Colorado city, 7 years old, youth model 243, w/ my dad. 33 years ago. Doe
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
8yrs old, Bracketville, TX, 8 point, .270WIN Ruger M77 6x redfield scope, federal ammo, still have same gun. (29yrs ago)

I killed my first deer in Bracketville 29 years ago but I was 12. My Grandparents owned 20 acres right on the edge of town had a Mini Storage & Liquor store right in front of the house. Had a gazebo out behind the house with a deer blind on top. little fork horned buck, still have the antlers.
Posted By: olenarey87

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 02:32 PM

First deer was a small basket 8 point. No feeder, blind, stand or anything like that. Sitting on the ground with my dad when I was about 12 years old (15 years ago). I was using a 6mm with a Simmons 3x9, about a 75 yard shot. I will never forget that evening.
Posted By: banderabound

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 02:39 PM

Mill Swamp Hunting Club. Dixie County, Florida.

Tree Lounge Telescopic Climbing Stand and a .270.

I was 15. Popped a little spike and then starting screaming like a complete idiot. Like screaming like I had just won the Super Bowl.

There isn't much I wouldn't give to relive that experience.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 02:45 PM

1978, I was 10 years old, Mason Co, off of TX29 between Llano and Mason. It was a cold and windy day, so me and Grandpa decided to hunker down behind a huge granite boulder to shelter from the wind. After sitting for about an hour we suddenly see a herd of deer running our way. The last deer in the bunch was a buck. He ran up and stopped in front of us at 30 yards. I heaved Grandpa's old sportized military surplus 30.06 (by L.C. Smith Typewriter Co) with Weaver 6x to my shoulder. I settled the cross hairs on his chest and fired. The buck piled up on the spot. He was a young 10 pt with a massive 12" inside spread. Still have him on a plaque on the wall.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 02:53 PM

Wheeler county in the TX panhandle. Ground blind, 270 win, federal ammo, and no camo (didn't have any $ left). Took a 8 point that is mounted over my desk. Not the biggest 8, but my first buck
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 03:36 PM

1pt spike, Hebbronville TX, 1983 (I was 9) .22 hornet to the neck @ 40yrds
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 03:49 PM

A spike grin DeWitt County almost 46 yrs ago when I was 12 yrs old while sitting in a blind by myself. I killed him using a Remington Model 700 BDL 6mm at 29 steps in a thick fog. You can see where my love for killing spikes started roflmao
Posted By: TxAg

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 03:49 PM

Outside of Clifton, TX. Hunting an old tripod placed up on a tank dam in the evening. Whitetail doe materialized in a pasture about 150 yds out about 25 min before dark. Waited for her to clear a brush pile, then shot her. Winchester 88 in .308 which was passed to me from my Grandpa.

She kicked and ran about 40 yds. Sat for ~20 mins then had a quick panic thinking I might have lost my first deer. Found her soon after.

Still love hunting that Tripod today. Lots of good memories.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
A spike grin DeWitt County almost 46 yrs ago when I was 12 yrs old while sitting in a blind by myself. I killed him using a Remington Model 700 BDL 6mm at 29 steps in a thick fog. You can see where my love for killing spikes started roflmao

This scary!!! Both our first bucks were spikes 46yrs ago!!! I was also 12yrs old using a 6mm!!! Still use the gun today!!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

This scary!!! Both our first bucks were spikes 46yrs ago!!! I was also 12yrs old using a 6mm!!! Still use the gun today!!!

I might drag mine out and kill another spike this with it for sentimental reasons since my Dad hunted with till a couple of years ago. cheers
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:05 PM

It was 1996, I was 10 years old shooting my brothers Rem 700 BDL DM 270 win with 130 grain Bronze Points (predecessor of the modern ballistic tip bullets).

Dad messed up a disk in his back so I was hunting with my mom. First buck was a typical 8pt with one side broke off at the skull so he only had 4 pts. Hi-shoulder shot put him down on the spot and my mom thought I was going to have a heart attack my heart was going so fast. Was wearing jeans one of my dad's old long sleve shirts and one of my old baseball jerseys, a bright red Cincinnati Reds Jersey roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TxAg
Outside of Clifton, TX. Hunting an old tripod placed up on a tank dam in the evening. Whitetail doe materialized in a pasture about 150 yds out about 25 min before dark. Waited for her to clear a brush pile, then shot her. Winchester 88 in .308 which was passed to me from my Grandpa.

She kicked and ran about 40 yds. Sat for ~20 mins then had a quick panic thinking I might have lost my first deer. Found her soon after.

Still love hunting that Tripod today. Lots of good memories.

My grandmother owns about 200 acres outside of Clifton, we never seen many deer there, but dove hunt and fish on it.
Posted By: ffread

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:25 PM

10 point, marlin 30-30, Bowie, Texas only thing I can not remember is how old I was pretty sure I was 9!

Only reason I got to shoot it was because it came out behind the stand where only I could see and my dad didn't realize how big it was until after I was already looking at him in the scope. Luckily he didn't take the gun from me haha! Still to this day my dad has never shot a deer that big either, and that was almost 20 years ago. Dad got out of hunting for a few years but I have had him back in the woods the last 4-5 years and sure am hoping he can get a good one soon!!!
Posted By: cameron00

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:30 PM

Mine was a fat doe in Leon County, where shooting does is illegal. My buddy had been complaining about not getting deer and I had like 12 does at my feeder. Thought I was lucky as hell and popped the biggest one proudly.

We cleaned it quietly.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:31 PM

1979 near Fredericksburg I was hunting on 500 acres sitting in a box blind that had the only feeder on the place and the landowner maintained it. Warm misty morning and shot a spike with a Ruger M77 22-250 with 200th year of American Liberty stamped on the barrel which I still have today.
Posted By: Nontypical3006

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 04:53 PM

Thanksgiving morning in SE Oklahoma, 11 years old. Sitting amongst some rocks on a corner of a firebreak about 300 yards down the hill from my stepdad. Saw 2 bigger deer that I couldn't get a shot at so I moved about 30 yards and a giant 6 that scored around 47 stepped out. 1 shot with the Marlin 30-30 and Bushnell 3-9. He ran about 60 yards and fell. I started doing jumping jacks and waving at my stepdad (he could see the whole thing unfold) and he yelled and asked if I got him so I ran down to verify the deer was still there and came back hollering like I had just shot the new state record. Good times for sure.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 05:30 PM

I must have been about 9 or 10 years old when I shot my first deer. My dad had a section leased outside of Coleman that was covered up in deer for several years. We had an old camper that he gave a couple hundred bucks for, and it was set up on a creek that held water year round. The creek was fed by a spillway from a large corps of engineers lake on the neighboring property. We saw tons of deer and turkey right there close to camp and had some pretty good fishing in that creek. It was a really cool place.

That first deer was a spike with about 2 inches of horn on each side. I was hunting with my dad, out of his 4x4 box stand, and shot a 44 mag saddle gun with iron sights. I think it was a Marlin, I had borrowed it from my Uncle.

I was so proud, we cut the top of the skull off so I could keep the horns, and the horns were so small I could fit them in the pocket of my coat. I took them to school with me and showed them off that next week. The citified teachers there were horrified.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 05:41 PM

6 years old shooting a borrowed 30 carbine w/ peep sights. Dropped a doe at about 50-75 yards. Remember my Dad kneeling there whispering to me "squeeze the trigger like a tit". That was 50 years ago. Dad passed in 2008 but he's still kneeling next to me for every shot and saying that same statement.

Now, I have a 5 year old Grandson that I'll be working to get HIS first deer. Choice of one of two rifles (whichever he wants to shoot) an AR-15 w/ some Barnes bullets or the Model 600 243 w/ 95 gr Nosler's. Either way, he does his part and he'll have it.

Carry on the Tradition folks!
Posted By: chalet

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 05:43 PM

Opening weekend Sunday 1989. Sitting on a board up in a post oak on a creek on Joe Easter's place that we leased outside of Jermyn, Tx. Shooting an open sighted 94 30-30. Missed a spike the day before and caught a lot of grief about how close it was and how could I miss and this and that.... Next morning hit a 7 point at about 60 yds broadside right in the spine, shot him again on the ground. Stepped up and bought myself a Savage 110E 30-06 next year and put a 3x9 Simmons on it. Killed most everything I shot at ater that.

Years later took that 94 to the range and at 50 yds it was shooting about 6" high with rear sight as low as I could get it. Said something about it to Dad and he said "yea, that rifle always shot high" Took 20 years for those 2 shots that opening weekend to make sense to me.
Posted By: senderoman

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 07:18 PM

1978,hat rack 8 point on the Medina River bottoms.30.06 remy 700 & luopold fixed power 6x.Right in the boiler room,dropped in his tracks
Posted By: ddmm

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 07:25 PM

Stephens Cty, back in the '70s, I was 15, first time to ever hunt. Small basket 6 pt (wouldn't make todays AR). Shot it once and it ran for 15 -20 yds. and dropped. Every time a leg flinched, I shot again! 6 shots and I finally figured it had to be dead!
Oh yes, everyone on the place heard the shooting, they figured I had shot a mess of them. I heard about that one for years!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 07:36 PM

No blinds or feeders for us, 26 years ago, and just like senderoman, Medina River bottom.
I stalked up on a 6 pointer with 00 buck, from about 30 yards. When he jumped up it surprised me so much that I didn't get a good shot and I blew an antler off, but it slowed him down enough that my brother tackled him and dispatched him with a knife. To have that rodeo on video would be priceless.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 07:47 PM

Was about 9 or 10 on a youth hunt in north central texas. Shot a .222 at 120 yards at a decent 6 pt. Was so nervous, I missed about 3 feet high on the first shot. Deer didn't move, reloaded, shot 3.5 feet below on the second shot. He ran off before I got another shot off.

...15 minutes later, a doe walked out at 85 yards and I smoked her with a heart shot. Just took a little practice I guess?! She ate well regardless banana
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 08:21 PM

Opening day 1980 in a small oat field in Mills County. Shot a young doe with my new Rem 788 .243/100gr Corelokt/Bushnell 3x9. I was 11 at the time. Unfortunately, though she was broadside at 75 yards and I hit her in the shoulder, the wound looked like the bullet blew up on the shoulder blade. My dad had to track her and finish her. Two months later I redeemed myself by tagging a larger mature doe with a 180 yd neck shot, DRT. Those were my first two deer and I've been addicted ever since.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/07/14 11:36 PM

I started really late (41). It was a 110 pound doe at about 120 yards in South Texas. Shot it with a Weatherby Vanguard S2 308 using Hornady SST 150's and a cheap Simmons 6x24 scope. I was shaking so bad, I had to put the rifle down twice.
Posted By: ken starling

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 03:21 AM

Been hunting paper mill land in Jefferson opening weekend, didn't see anything. On way back home disappointed with not seeing anything, my step dad's company had 30 acres in Henderson County, across from Gus Engeling WMA. He asked me if I wanted to skip school on Monday ,I of course said yes. Drove down to Athens ,that next morning a 5 point came running across the field, shot at it,hit in front shoulder, deer stood straight up ,turned and ran right towards me and stopped 15 yards from me. Made the final shot and dropped it.
The gun was a Remington 22-250 bought with my very first paycheck $213.00 they wanted $225 but all I had was the $213.

That was about 30 years ago, my son's first buck was also a 5 point .
Posted By: southpaw59

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 03:42 AM

Was a doe I shot in 1968 while hunting with my dad on a lease in Cherokee,TX. I was 9 and shot her with 30-30. Don't know distance but she was close. Man who owned ranch was named Cat Taylor.
Posted By: bdotson

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 04:40 AM

Great stories love to hear them that is why I started this thread. As for me I shot a doe with a 303 british iron sights. I don't recall the year. It was in Cherokee county many years ago. Back the you just stopped on the side of the road and climbed over the fence, If a person did not want you on there place they would put up posted signs. There were no signs. I don't know who owned the place to this day no one cared. no feeder no blind no camo no nothing just ease through the woods like squirrel hunting. I had no idea at that time it would ever be possible to rent or lease hunting rights. Things have sure changed.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 05:14 AM

I was 10 years old in Coleman. I had hunted with my dad for 2 years and the opportunity never presented itself. We were at the lease and he told me to go hunt his stand. It was my first time to really hunt by myself. He walked me down the road, told me to pick a spot and walked off once I was set. He told me he would be down on the pipeline...which I don't think he was because he recalled certain parts of the hunt I don't remember telling him and he showed up pretty quick after the shot.

Shot an 8 pointer that is still on my wall with my dad's 30-30. Great memories and still remember that hunt like it was yesterday.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 06:41 AM

I was 16 and my uncle told me about 4.5 yr old with a jacked up rack that he wanted me to shoot. 22 250 100 yards dropped him where he stood. I was with my best friend and hunting buddy since we were kids. The deer had a total of 14 pts but no spread or any length just an older deer that my uncle had seen last year and he didn't change. My uncle was so proud of me and was impressed with my shooting. I hunted there through my early 20's and always have an open invitation because I only shoot what I was told. That same hunt I had a 130 plus walk 40 yards from the stand tailing a doe and I didn't shoot him. My uncle taught me how to age deer and when to shoot and not shoot. I was rewarded when I was 18 and got to go with him and my cousin to Larado and shot 4 doe and a cull 9 pt that grossed 142.
Posted By: bp3

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 02:14 PM

1956 when I was 13 ( damn I'am old ) in Eastland county shot a 3 point with a borrowed bolt action 30-30 . I was on cloud nine and will never forget that moment I hope,never know at my age. rifle
Posted By: jshouse

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 02:40 PM

pretty sure it was 1991, eastland county, i had just turned 13 and it was one of, if not the first time i sat in the stand by myself. i took an 8pt at about 100 yards with the 30-30 my dad had just bought for me, i still hunt with it. i had just missed the doe he was chasing and shot at him 4 times (suppressive fire!) before hitting him, then i missed the doe again when she came running back by. got down and sprinted to my dads stand a few hundred yards away, he asked WTH was going on...
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 03:42 PM

I was 15 at the time. I have 3 brothers and the 2 older and I decided to hunt deer. Our Dad had never hunted deer, but worked at Texas Eastman with men that had shared how to find them. Hunting here near Gimer in Upshur County there were not a whole lot of deer. Back then we could hunt about any where we wanted within walking distance. I decided on a place about 3/4 mile from the house. I sat in a tree that morning and saw a little basket 8 point. I was carrying a 12 gauge with 00 buck shot. He was too far. I went back and threw up a blind up in 3 trees. Went back that afternoon. I saw him across a pond coming my way. I could barely see him in the brush at 35 yards. I shot and he didn't go far. He was a wide 6 point. At least wider than the 8 I'd seen that morning. I still have the rack and have never mounted it. Might some day. Hard to believe that was 39 years ago.
Posted By: rbw1

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 05:38 PM

5 yrs old in a little creek bottom Cass County sitting on a 2x12 board nailed between two sweetgum trees with Marlin 339 30/30 that was loaded with 125gr Federal hollow points daddy had nailed 2x4 across to hold the forend up for me lol . A 3in spike stumbled out of a switch cane thicket and stopped in front of the muzzle. And I thought I had killed a booner. 47 yr later and lost count of how many more I still have that little rack that started a journey that included a guiding career and more good times and moments than I have a right to.
Posted By: STEW

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/08/14 06:24 PM

17 years ago when I was 15. My first deer was a 4 pointer in Caseyville,MS with my 30-30.
Posted By: Jtmeeks

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/09/14 02:42 PM

Button buck in McLain county OK. Shot a .243 and he ran about 40 yards and dropped! I honestly don't know how I even hit him! I just shut my eyes and pulled the trigger. I was 9 smile
Posted By: rattler03

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/09/14 10:14 PM

1994, 10 years old, Blanco county. I had a cast on my right wrist from a backyard football injury, but I shoot left-handed so it wasn't a big deal. Opening morning Dad and I sat in a ground blind overlooking the hayfield about 200 yards from the ranch house. Watched a 4 pointer at the feeder all morning but I couldn't get the nerve up to take the shot. At one point a big buck charged into the field and the little 4 pointer ran over there and faced the buck. It looked like David vs. Goliath. Before Dad could get a shot off the big buck turned around and vanished into the tree line, never to be seen again. The 4 pointer went back to the feeder, and then started trotting directly at us. When he was about 50 yards away, I raised up the lever action Marlin 30-30 with a 4X scope and took the shot with the deer facing me. He turned and ran out of the field with his right leg flailing around, so Dad fearing I had wounded him took a last second shot as he entered the trees. We found him piled up about 30 yards into the cedars, and I had shot him in the heart severing the artery going to his leg, hence the leg injury. Dad had completely missed. I was on cloud nine, and I've been hooked ever since.

Cool thing is my Dad shot his first deer out of the same stand with the same 30-30.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/09/14 10:22 PM

in San Saba county. On my own. Felt like I finally measured up and would have made my deceased old man proud.
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/09/14 11:49 PM

Honey Island hunting club, I was 13 yr's old , 9 pt, 12 inch's wide ,18 inch's tall, shot with a 30 carbine, sittin on a board nailed to a tree. Still have that shoulder mount in my living room. it was 1983.
Posted By: RChipman11

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/10/14 05:11 AM

Junction, Tx. 5 years old in a tower blind. Deer all over the place, couldn't steady up because of buck fever. A little love tap and a "get your **** together boy" from dad fixed that real quick. A few seconds later the Rem 700 25-06 with 3-9x40 leupold barked and hit the doe right behind the shoulder DRT. Still carry that old rifle and still remember to keep my **** together!
Posted By: Mavric

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/11/14 01:44 AM

Age 13 it was a spike on the run across a pasture...I shot him with a single shot H&R .410 shotgun with a slug @ 80 yards...I didn't know it then but....that was a dayum good shot! ;-)
Posted By: Texsun

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/11/14 03:22 AM

Montague Tx. December of 78. Sitting in a tree with Dad and nearby grandad watching from the house. The ejected she'll is still at the bottom of that tree gonna get it someday. 4 pt monster!
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/11/14 03:28 AM

In Lometa with my dad. 1986, 9 years old. Awesome day.
Posted By: Mathp

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/12/14 06:09 AM

1969, Llano, 9 years old, on Friday night dad points out a buck I can never see...strike one! Saturday afternoon I shoot my first doe at 65 yards using the hood of the car to steady my rifle. Saturday night in a tree my dad rattles to get a nice buck to raise his head so I can find him, but I miss!
Last chance Sunday afternoon, not seeing much until dad points out a small 6 point at 325 yards....I squeeze the trigger and his hind legs drop and he's down. We walk down to the deer and see I shot it right through both knees of his rear legs. Finish the deal and I have my first buck!

Could somebody age and score this one?
Posted By: Randy H

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/13/14 01:51 AM

Wood County
Young but decent 8 pt.
Tikka 270 win
130 Rem Core Lokt

I'm still not sure how I hit it perfect in the shoulder. I was shaking like dog trying to pass a peach seed.
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/13/14 02:40 AM

10 yrs old, young 6pt, San Saba Tx, sitting in my grandfathers lap, using a Browning BLR 22-250 with Leupold VXII 3-9, in a 20ft high tower blind. That was my first morning to ever hunt and I remember it being very window before day break. I thought the tower was going to blow over. LOL!
Posted By: 10 point

Re: I remember the first deer i ever killed (fill in blank) ___ ___ ____ - 11/13/14 02:43 AM

Little spike boy was I proud of this deer that was fifty one years ago!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum