Texas Hunting Forum

Coryell rut

Posted By: pittdog33

Coryell rut - 11/06/14 04:52 PM

Has anyone noticed much early chasing going on in Coryell county (Gatesville) yet? Will either be down next weekend or the weekend of the 20th. Trying to time the rut the best I can.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Coryell rut - 11/06/14 05:19 PM

20 miles west of you. Young bucks have been chasing for the last two weeks. I'm predicting the week before Thanksgiving will be the best especially with a big front pushing through next weekend.

Re: Coryell rut - 11/06/14 06:58 PM

That's what I was thinking, seems like the peak of the rut is the week before to just after Thanksgiving.
Posted By: Macho

Re: Coryell rut - 11/07/14 05:16 AM

I hunt around pidcoke and nothing was chasing this past weekend.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Coryell rut - 11/07/14 09:16 AM

This year has been slower than years past. This cooler weather will get them moving. The Spanish oaks are usually in full fall color by now. It's been abnormally warm this year. When the leaves turn red the deer should be in full rut.
Posted By: Zach S

Re: Coryell rut - 11/07/14 10:10 AM

Have been out quite a bit (500 acres 15 miles east of gatesville) and the Bucks weren't really chasing. They were interested for sure but mostly moved along on their way or stopped and just ate. They have broken away though and are not in the bachelor groups for sure. Typically rut has been week before or of thanksgiving as previously mentioned. Cooler weather and rain had them moving about though.

Re: Coryell rut - 11/07/14 02:59 PM

Now if the creek will settle, we can get across to top off feeders.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Coryell rut - 11/10/14 03:02 PM

The bucks were running pretty hard this weekend.. nothign stopping to feed, just moving through.. We had one mature buck taken and saw several other middle aged.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum