Texas Hunting Forum

mistaken identity.......

Posted By: S.A. hunter

mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:34 PM

Yesterday I shot a nice buck. Problem is he wasn't the one I thought he was. I had pictures of a high ugly 10 pointer that was on the list. So when I saw his really high rack I assumed it was the high ten pointer. Sadly after I took the shot and walked up to him he was a high 8 pointer, not the 10 pointer. I was to quick on the trigger, unlike last year when I was unable to pull the trigger on a monster buck.

I pulled the jawbone from him today, and as I expected he was only a 3.5 year old. Makes me sad to think what he could of been in a year or two. Still learning I guess.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:36 PM

Better a 3yr old 8 than a 4yr old ten imo.

Nerves can get the best of anyone. Congrats on the deer by the way nothing to be ashamed of. You got a pic?
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Better a 3yr old 8 than a 4yr old ten imo.

Nerves can get the best of anyone. Congrats on the deer by the way nothing to be ashamed of. You got a pic?
up
Posted By: Stompy

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
Yesterday I shot a nice buck. Problem is he wasn't the one I thought he was. I had pictures of a high ugly 10 pointer that was on the list. So when I saw his really high rack I assumed it was the high ten pointer. Sadly after I took the shot and walked up to him he was a high 8 pointer, not the 10 pointer. I was to quick on the trigger, unlike last year when I was unable to pull the trigger on a monster buck.

I pulled the jawbone from him today, and as I expected he was only a 3.5 year old. Makes me sad to think what he could of been in a year or two. Still learning I guess.

A lot of us have been there, don't feel too bad. Just learn from your mistake.

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:45 PM

Yeah, I was on one side of the blind and my nephew was on the other. He quietly yells buck buck buck. So I grabbed the rifle go to his side of the blind. I see the buck chasing doe and i though identified him and as soon as he stopped to posture I took the shot. I'll post a pic in a bit.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:46 PM

On the bright side, maybe you will have a high horned 10 point around to hunt next year.
worthless
Posted By: KG68

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:48 PM

whip There that make you feel better. grin
Posted By: Seadog

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:48 PM

Congrats on a nice buck!!! It happens!!! Nothing to beat yourself up about!!!
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:52 PM

I'm gonna get lashed for this but, I never minded taking 3.5 -8 points would rather leave my 10+ 3.5 and 4.5's
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 04:56 PM

Watched my lil sis kill an 11point 2.5 year old. It happens and isn't the end of the world. She is really proud of her deer and has a nice euro. That was 3 years ago and I've wondered what he'd be today.

Let's see this high racked 8, I bet he's a great buck.

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:00 PM

I never thought about it that way. But it makes sense, and I feel better. Hell he might even be a 11 pointer this year because he had a extra point coming out of his g2. I'm done for the season. Just gonna take a doe In January.

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:01 PM

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:03 PM

I never thought about it that way. But it makes sense, and I feel better. Hell he might even be a 11 pointer this year because he had a extra point coming out of his g2. I'm done for the season. Just gonna take a doe In January.

Why be done, I think I have as much fun with camera as my rifle
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:05 PM

That is a nice buck cheers

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:05 PM

Oh I'll be out there again when my son comes home from college. But my dad has to hunt.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:07 PM

Good deer, think you killed the right one! IMO
Posted By: Navasot

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:09 PM

Real nice buck congrats!

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:09 PM

Thanks, guys. He'll make a nice euro. But still can't help but wonder what a couple of more years might have done. Oh well.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: mistaken identity....... - 11/05/14 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
I'm gonna get lashed for this but, I never minded taking 3.5 -8 points would rather leave my 10+ 3.5 and 4.5's

I understand what your saying but I've seen 3.5 yr old 8's turn into 4.5 yr old 10's. Not a lot, but I have a few times.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum