Texas Hunting Forum

Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns

Posted By: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER

Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/05/14 02:04 PM

I hunted this past opening weekend. The deer are not hitting the feeders. Acorns must be thick. There was a bag of corn under every feeder. Anyone else in the county having the same issues? I am switching to stands that cover more ground. Looks like the pre-rut has started. Young bucks are chasing does....
Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/05/14 03:33 PM

Yes, Same Thing is Happening in Stephens/Throckmorton Counties.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/05/14 04:36 PM

Yep I'm near Lake Nocona. Corn piling up under every feeder. Ton of acorns on the ground. I did see does coming and going but only saw a few at the feeders. We had a spike come in and chase the does all around the field. I ended up hunting back in the woods and saw a few doe walking through. I decided to rattle and had a deer rushing in about 40 yards behind me, but never saw what it was. Too much cover. I just saw the belly, and it never made it to the shooting lanes. I figured it was a young buck. Too much forage around, changing my strategy for this coming weekend and will be hunting off the ground in the deep woods and game trails away from the feeder.
Posted By: Hoosier Texan

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/05/14 05:35 PM

Yep, same here. I saw one spike the entire weekend and he walked right past my feeder pen and had no interest in the corn/protein. I can't hunting anything but my feeder or the pasture right around the corner, so I'm hoping this rain sours the acorns.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/05/14 05:52 PM

They came to our feeders there. Not tons but all corn was cleaned up at least once a day. Tons of acorns though. We took one buck and several hogs. Young bucks were chasing does.
Posted By: Yildiz

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/05/14 07:38 PM

I hunt in Montague and the same story...however I am getting them to come of late to a different food source. I'm not going to say what since I am after one of two bucks. confused2

My advice get off the feeders. Good luck to everyone, I'm heading out to hunt this afternoon. I mostly how hunt
Posted By: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/07/14 04:24 PM

Ten-4. I am going to hunt stands that cover the most ground as possible. Good Luck guys!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/07/14 04:27 PM

Corn has germinated and is growing under my feeders
Posted By: offinthewoods

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/07/14 05:01 PM

I too have corn stalks growing lol

Keeps up I'll have a crop before too long

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/10/14 12:56 PM

Saturday afternoon I was in a stand. When the feeder went off, a doe walked out and kept walking. She totally ignored it.

But, I have a flock pf about 50 crows that have migrated in. They are keeping it kinda tidy under the feeders. They are also hitting my wheat.
Posted By: wtmartinaggie

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/10/14 01:56 PM

i have tube feeders that i put out in early october that are still full. they arent hitting corn at all.

when the rain hits this week and sours the acorns maybe they will start

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/10/14 02:34 PM

I still have an awful lot on the trees.
Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/10/14 02:48 PM

Wasn't much of an acorn crop in my area compared to years past. I actually have been turning my feeder times up which is rare for this time of year.
Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/10/14 02:51 PM

Wasn't much of an acorn crop in my area compared to years past. I actually have been turning my feeder times up which is rare for this time of year. Should be real good after we get a freeze.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/10/14 03:46 PM

Still the same issue this weekend. Corn piling higher. Saw pics of a few deer hitting the feeders but not the same activity. Finally saw a shooter buck on camera after they disappeared over the past 2 1/2 weeks. I ended up still hunting and jumped two doe but that was it for the weekend. I think the wind and full moon got the best of me. Bring on the RUT!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County Acorns and crazy deer patterns - 11/10/14 07:42 PM

They hit our feeders this past weekend. No corn under any of the feeders. I had 12 deer all around me Friday evening. I hand threw corn and they ate 15 lbs of it up in less than an hour. No green acorns left but under all the oaks there are tracks. Saw nothing Sat morning. Checked 4 cams and all have deer on them. We fenced 4 of our feeders and that has helped a lot to keep the hogs away and bring deer in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum