Texas Hunting Forum

A great hunt in Ohio

Posted By: Chief Joe

A great hunt in Ohio - 11/05/14 11:31 AM

I got my crossbow back yesterday after breaking the string. Hurried home to get in the stand Tuesday. I figured it was a waste of time. The wind was really whipping around. Sunset came and went. It was really getting DARK. Then I saw a doe working her way towards my tree. Then she was gone?? Long story shorter she was skittish cause there was a very respectable buck zeroed in on her. They ran around just about 50-60 yards out covered by a tree line. I could hear the buck grunt. All the sudden the doe busted across a small ditch and ran under my tree. The buck was help up in the heavy trees. I could see him but he was in brush. All the sudden the buck came across the ditch and stopped broadside right beside my tree! I have a red dot scope, placed the dot on his vitals and shot. Thud I heard it hit. I only saw the buck run for a short distance and then lost him to darkness. I waited a short bit and crawled down. My tree stand is about 200 yards from my back door! I had no flashlight, was in jeans with a leafy camo coat, using Double Bubble chewing gum as a cover scent. When it's right it's right! I will tell you my tree stand is about 25' up.
I went to the house and got my flashlight. Found the bolt covered in deep red blood. It was just starting to rain. I had Katie and we looked for a couple hours but just couldn't fine him. I am waitin for sunrise now. Pray that I can find this buck. I'll get back as soon as I can. banana
I keep thinking the buck has to be hummin Love Hurts! I think he hung up on my entry path, trying to decide if she wasa worth the risk?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/05/14 02:15 PM

Wishing you good luck finding him. Post up the pics wen you do. up
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/05/14 02:23 PM

Good luck man
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/05/14 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Good luck man
Posted By: Seadog

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/05/14 02:46 PM

Good luck!!!
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/05/14 03:02 PM

Any luck??
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/05/14 03:38 PM

popcorn

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/06/14 12:05 AM

Dang! Back in 1997 I stuck a buck as it started to snow. We followed that blood trail for a half mile(it seemed) in a corn field before the blood disappeared. I was just starting to get over that!
Katie and I were out at first light. We had enough rain to wash away any small amounts of blood. We circled, crisscrossed,and wandered over as much of the fields and woods as we could. NADA!
This evening I sat in the same stand pondering. Also had a friend comment that the dark blood on the bolt suggested a liver shot. I will keep checking, maybe the buzzards will lead me to it.
I hate not finding this buck but the hunt was an amaxing experience!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/06/14 09:04 AM

Sorry that you didn't find him but, unfortunately, it happens sometimes!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/06/14 11:29 AM

Chief any luck ?

Re: A great hunt in Ohio - 11/06/14 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Chief any luck ?

Yes but all bad! Can't find a trace and the weather is so crappy even the buzzards aren't flying! Here is the pic of the bolt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum