Texas Hunting Forum

Jack County Thread

Posted By: bankwalker

Jack County Thread - 11/04/14 06:47 AM

Haven't seen many people talking about good ole Jack county so I figured I better get things started.

Im hunting north of Jacksboro about 5 miles.

Opening weekend was very slow. Saw no rut activity and I think there must be a bunch of acorns because not many deer at feeders either. Moon didn't help. Hoping for better results this weekend.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/04/14 10:49 AM

Good luck!!!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/04/14 11:36 AM

Moon will be worse this weekend
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/04/14 01:22 PM

Had does & a few bucks moving around opening morning, but only 2 came to the feeder. Rest were milling around in the Oak trees.....
Posted By: Earl

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/05/14 01:46 AM

There was a lot of movement on our place off 1191 South of Bryson Sunday morning. I had a legal buck at my feeder when I got into my stand. After he left a doe came out. Both of these deer were either at the feeder or corn I threw onto the road around it.

Then about 7:30am I shot a big old 10 point that I've posted on another thread. My lease mate jumped 2 or 3 deer at his stand - a doe and another buck.

After getting my truck and pulling up to dress the deer I jumped several more that had come in to my feeder while I was tracking my buck and retrieving the truck.

I also have a place in Young County off of Hwy 16 north of Loving. There it's like someone turned the spigot off. I'm still seeing bucks but they and the doe aren't really coming to the feeders. I used to average 600+ photos on my cameras in a 2 week period. The last 2 weeks, that dropped to 150 photos per camera. Corn is stacking up under my feeders. There is a bumper crop of acorns there this year and the deer are feeding on that. Hopefully these rains will sour the acorns.

Earl
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/05/14 01:50 AM

I hunt just inside jack count from the wise county line. Saw a 4 pt opening day. Saw 2 hogs and a very nice 8 or 9 point tonight.
Posted By: DayWalker

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/05/14 02:33 AM

Jermyn area was slow opening weekend. I also had deer at feeders regularly since April until a week or two before general rifle opened up. The rut should override abundant forb/forage soon enough.

Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/05/14 02:34 AM

I'm 7 mi NW of Jacksboro. We saw a couple of spikes and 4 doe. My wife saw her first almost legal buck from a stand. They are scraping on our place and eating mostly acorns right now but that 2 yr old buck was in there with a doe and completely left her alone, just stood around eating acorns. Does are still bunched up with as many as 8 on some of the trail cams. I created a mock scrap last week by going to an old scrape location scratching it out and using my own urine to get it started. They were hitting it and created another one just up the trail from it. Something I learned here on THF.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/06/14 03:45 PM

Sat in the stand yesterday evening and saw two doe that had little interest in the feeder. They finally made it in right at dark. Feed store owner in town said everyone is saying lots of acorns. Looks like we might need the rut to start seeing some big boys. I hunted opening weekend and now one evening this week and am yet to see a deer antler. Funny thing this hunting. Lots of good bucks on camera. They will be back. rifle

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/06/14 03:46 PM

If possible lets try and keep all the Jack County stuff on one thread so we don't miss anything. Good luck to everyone this weekend. Full Moon!
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/06/14 05:01 PM

I use to hunt the Coke a Cola Ranch! Customer's only hunting.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/06/14 06:15 PM

Sat out all day yesterday. About 8am I saw two bucks chasing a doe, bigger buck chased off scrub buck and was working that doe like he was a quarter horse. I didn't get a chance to glass him before they disappeared behind me. Just before dark I saw a nice young buck just a pissing all over himself, stomping and thrashing a little mesquite with his headwear. Definite uptick in day light movement.

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/06/14 06:45 PM

We saw some chasing(young bucks) last weekend and like everyone else, not our usual numbers at the feeders. Lots of acorns but 2+ inches of rain should have taken care of that for now.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/10/14 03:09 AM

I did hunt opening weekend and saw one small buck, a button buck and three doe that morning. That afternoon, I saw 16 deer, all but one was a small buck (different from the one earlier in the day). I am going this Tuesday and hope to hunt and be on stand most of the day.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/10/14 12:42 PM

Okay I hunted Friday evening and Saturday of this past weekend and although I didn't see much on Friday evening or saturday morning while driving back in from the Sat morn hunt about 10am I was opening a gate to go through when a doe popped out about 40 yds down the road in front of me. I knew she must be being pushed to show herself when I had just driven up in the loud diesel mule. Sure enough she crosses the opening and there he is. A mature 7 point right behind her. Nice rack just looks like he is missing a g3 on his left side. Probably a good management buck.

Things are heating up. Interested to see what this cold front does.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/13/14 07:27 PM

Any updates? I didn't get out last weekend but my buddy did. Corn just piling up under the feeders. Cut the run time back as a result. Can't get out until Sunday so any info from the weekend will be appreciated.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/17/14 05:15 AM

I have heard things are heating up quickly although I didn't get to go this weekend. I was out last Wednesday and Thursday 11/12-11/13 and didn't see much in the way of deer movement and witnessed zero rutting activity.
Posted By: GPS

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/17/14 11:52 AM

I hunted all weekend and I wouldn't say things are "on fire". The few does I saw were moving but I didn't see a single buck trailing them. We to have corn piling up on the ground. Our protein feeder hasn't had a single deer come in and feed from it in almost 3 weeks. I had one spike and a young 6pt stop and eat corn that I tossed out in front of my blind, but they only ate for about 2 minutes and left.

The past 3 weeks have been frustrating.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/20/14 12:51 AM

My first selfie ever!

Busted off his G4 on the right side

Posted By: rytheguy84

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/20/14 12:54 AM

Congrat!! Nice buck cheers

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/20/14 01:01 AM

Good mass on that rack. I sat Sun afternoon and froze my a$$ off on that tripod with my bow in my lap. Had a young 7 point in but the wind was so bad he was extremely spooky. Wife saw a small 8 and a doe bith of them were spooky too. The wind was howling up to 20 mi/hr and it was 30 degrees or less without the windchill. Wife is in heated rifle blind, she's smarter than me. I had to go home on Mon AM but my son had a 10 come in that he didn't get a shot at. The camera's show they were moving mid day last THur and Fri before the wind really picked up. Going out Fri so we'll see what happens.
I am seeing new bucks that have not been on camera before so my guess is they are looking for receptive does but the does are still bunched up and often have bucks in the pictures with them. I do have one or two pics of does with one buck in and the doe is always blurry cause she is on the move so I think some have started but the bulk of the does were not ready last week. Good luck to everyone.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/20/14 05:26 AM

Sat in a stand this evening. Saw a nice buck (pretty sure it was a 10pt) paired up with a doe. He has head down hot on her wherever she went. Headed back for the weekend but the weather forecast is not promising.

Good luck.

Great Buck Daywalker!

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/20/14 03:25 PM

Yeah, I was looking at the weather too. Figure Sun AM could be good once the weather breaks but if it's not lighting and thunder I'll be in a pop up.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/22/14 08:38 PM

Just posted this in Open Hunting. Pic was taken one week ago on our lease......Keep your eyes open if you're hunting in or around Antelope.....

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
From friends trail cam on the lease.......FWIW the rest of the pics indicate the deer got away!

It ain't black....guess we may be doing some night hunting!

Before you ask, this is just S. of Antelope. You Jack County hunters keep your eyes open...
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/23/14 11:50 PM

Ant updates around Jacksboro? Didn't get out this weekend, to much rain don't have 4x4 truck camp mile off main road. Plan on four days coming up. Hunt north of town out 59.
Anyone try alfalfa for feed?
Posted By: DAP ( IAFF 3627 )

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/26/14 04:20 AM

Any Jack County updates? Anyone seeing rut activity or feeder activity during the day?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/26/14 04:37 AM

Thinking rut activity should be done. May see a second rut in mid December but for now it seems the deer are refueling and maybe starting to hit feeders again (at least that's what I am hoping based on a few days of action at my feeder).

Will be out in clay and archer county this weekend. Hoping for a couple deer to trip up on my 117gr hornaday SST.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/27/14 03:35 PM

Was in woods all day yesterday. Still seeing good rutting activity. Heard one doe running before I even saw her she was being chased so hard. Saw more chasing near the feeder in the evening. Should not be done yet. Find the does!

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/29/14 05:52 AM

A guy on our lease saw seven mature bucks during his hunt this evening. I'm headed out tomorrow.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/29/14 01:54 PM

Been out since Thursday morn sittin in stand nothing has showed up yet don't know what wrong. Tried the doe bleat, buck ground, peanut butter, vanilla extract WHAT GIVES.
Posted By: Western

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/29/14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bankwalker
A guy on our lease saw seven mature bucks during his hunt this evening. I'm headed out tomorrow.

Must be a he77 of a lease!

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/30/14 06:16 AM

Saw two young tens this evening and zero rutting activity. Too darn hot.
Posted By: spencer

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/30/14 01:37 PM

To dang windy. Tired of the wind
Posted By: Direct Hit

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/30/14 02:04 PM

I hunt near Bryson. The rutting activity seems to be over here. Did not even see a mature buck during the peak rut. Dec. is always tough here to get a shot at a big one. Archery season wasnt good here either. Plenty of doe but the larger bucks seem nocturnal.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/30/14 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Direct Hit
I hunt near Bryson. The rutting activity seems to be over here. Did not even see a mature buck during the peak rut. Dec. is always tough here to get a shot at a big one. Archery season wasnt good here either. Plenty of doe but the larger bucks seem nocturnal.

I hear Ya Direct, I go through Senate and Bryson on my way to place in Murray and have seen much fewer deer just driving that route this year than prior years. Thinking the drought has really caught up to us this season, not sure how else to explain it..
Posted By: Direct Hit

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/30/14 02:11 PM

Yep....whatever is going on its not good.

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/30/14 11:24 PM

Hunt just north of Jacksboro on 59, was out the last four days, didn't see anything to raise rifle for. I know the wind was a factor, I have tried peanut butter, vanilla extract, corn with protein, DB, doe bleats, grunts everything on cams are late and early nighttime. Hopefully cooler weather in two weeks will change things.
What's your thoughts?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Jack County Thread - 11/30/14 11:52 PM

Harley that's about what my hunts have been like. The weather isn't lining up and all the deer are moving around nocturnal. When it cools off for the winter they will start showing again in the daytime. I think I may hang my jacket until December 19-21...too much going on at home anyway to try and get out again before then.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/01/14 03:10 AM

I'm north of Jacksboro and seen deer every sitting for four straight days leading up to thanksgiving. I have drilling rigs going up every week on what seems like every 100 acres but I'm seeing as many deer as I ever have there.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/02/14 03:54 AM

Deer don't have to move. Acorns are thick as the leaves and there's water puddles every where.

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/02/14 04:37 AM

We had minimal movement this past weekend, though we did have a couple of new bucks show up late afternoons during the week again,just not when I was in the stand. Overall very little movement but with the heat and the wind I didn't want to move either. I do have pics of bucks and does a the feeders at night which leads me to believe the primary rut is over and the new bucks we are seeing are just cruising looking for the late in heat does to turn on. I'm traveling until the middle of Dec so hopefully they will be doing something predictable again.
Posted By: SSJR

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/11/14 03:19 AM

We hunt off 148 N of Jacksboro and it ben a terrible year for us. Acorns are thick, warm weather, the rut appeared to happen at night mostly and movement has slowed down considerably as of late..Hoping for a better end of season .

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/11/14 04:19 PM

Hunt north out 59, been slow here. Going out this wkn hope I don't get stuck with rain comin in. Was out 2 weeks ago didn't see anything not even a yote. All pics were at night. Bated hog traps notin there either. Hope Christmas will be better.

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/22/14 02:35 PM

Another screwed weekend. See nothing during day all pics on cams are still night 7 pm-5am. Had three bucks in one pic on Dec. 14 together. Just can't wrap my head around what's up.
Did get a yote.

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/22/14 02:57 PM

I'm headed out for a mid day hunt today. Probably sit til dark. Morning hunts have yielded 6 hunts in a row without seeing a single deer.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/23/14 02:22 AM

Well tff caribou? Any luck

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/23/14 02:48 AM

Nope. Sat from 11-6. Didn't see a single deer. It's been a terrible season and today may have been my last sit.
Posted By: spencer

Re: Jack County Thread - 12/23/14 04:19 AM

No luck for me today. Was up a tree for a couple of hours and nothing
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum