Texas Hunting Forum

I know hes young but.......

Posted By: Ricochet83

I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 08:33 PM

This is by far the best deer we have seen on the new place. He is on the no shoot list for at least one year maybe 2 but i know its a bad pic but the only one i have on him. ANybody have a guess on age i think 3.5 South Live Oak COunty.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 08:43 PM

nice

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 08:56 PM

Great potential. He is nice now but will be real nice in 1-2 years
Posted By: RDNCK

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 09:44 PM

Hard for me to tell by that pic but appears to be 3.5 with some room to grow. Should be a really nice deer in a couple years
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 09:52 PM

Looks like a nice 2.5 year old. 2 years, and he'll be a stud
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 09:58 PM

How big is your place?

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 10:37 PM

Place is not very big 410 acres however have and agreement with the 2 neighbors totaling another 500 acres between the 2 of our management expectations. We sat down this past weekend and didnt want to call it a co-op but the same principle. 3rd neighbor is high fence so he is irrelevant so in short i feel he will survive the next year or 2.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 10:42 PM

Then let him walk.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/03/14 10:47 PM

I would not make any decisions till closer to the rut when it starts to kick in down there in mid Dec. After Thanksgiving those bucks will start to move a bit more and even better after the first killing frost.

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/04/14 02:46 PM

yes. he will walk. we have an agreement with the neighbors where we will share no shoot bucks photos with each other via text whenever we get a pic of one we want to let walk and he was the first one sent to the group by me and the only one so far. He will make it through this year and prob next to be honost.
Posted By: AD1717

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 01:04 AM

Tons of potential. Definitely a stud in a couple years. Sounds like yall have a good system going, too. Good luck!
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 01:36 AM

nice 2.5 year old buck

nice to know you won't pop him for 2+ years.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 02:22 AM

I'm not seeing 2.5 YO. I think he's older. But, great to be able to let him age another year, at least. We've got about the same acreage as y'all. It's sometimes hard to pass on these bucks because of neighbors. You just don't get to see them again, usually, once they jump the fence.

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 02:41 PM

yes Erath i agree. i was planning on going and talking to the neighbors one weekend when i knew they were there but i didnt eve have to they saw my truck friday night and communicated with each other and decided to come to me at lunch time on saturday we had a great 1.5 hour discussion. they both own their properties one for 3 years and one for longer. the one who has owned it longer only hunts 2 times a year on average and only shoots a doe for meat. The other neighbor who has been there 3 years in that time has only shot 2 does and a spike and has alot of pics on his phone he had taken of bucks that he just watches cause he likes to look at them. He had several really nice bucks he just doesnt want to pull the trigger on so i think most of the deer are safe. Plus between the 3 of us on the lease i am the only one that really shoots deer. One will shoot a doe for meat but thats it so the potential for the long term is GREAT.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 03:02 PM

I agree he's a nice young buck and I'm glad to hear you worked a deal with your neighbors. That sharing pics business gets a little tricky when you start sharing pics of 4.5-5.5 year old deer. About 10 years ago we shared a pic and video of a very, very nice buck that we thought was 5.5 and needed to walk one more year. The neighbor agreed that he needed a year, but shortly thereafter we received pics from a third party of that same buck on the ground.

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 03:14 PM

oh wow that sucks. Yep its still not a great situation of being on smaller properties. Only thing i can do is hope these fellas are stand up guys and are true to their word. I know that is a tall order to ask from society as a whole now adays but only time will tell how it works out
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 03:44 PM

Turns out that guy was at the end of his lease and planning to move on, so I guess he figured he'd shoot while he could. We leased it up ourselves when he moved on. Problem solved.

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/05/14 03:48 PM

yeah when people decide to go i could see how all bets are off. Then it becomes a who cares situation. Glad you were able to snag the extra acreage though.
Posted By: AggieHunter2014

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/06/14 01:59 PM

he'll be nice in a couple of years
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: I know hes young but....... - 11/06/14 02:07 PM

If you can let him walk...take some does or see what else shows up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum