Texas Hunting Forum

Question bout oats

Posted By: txhunter1010

Question bout oats - 11/03/14 01:02 AM

So the neighbors have a 5 ish acre oat field and like this morning Nd this evening deer were on it... Besides another oat field what could I do to attract them like that or better.. I have feeder but other than that
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Question bout oats - 11/03/14 01:11 AM

Corn will work once you get a freeze but you will have to catch them on their travel routes from oats to their bed in the mornings and the same in the evenings when they are heading back to oats IME.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Question bout oats - 11/03/14 01:22 AM

Ranch man yes I hoping that will work like thst
Posted By: Western

Re: Question bout oats - 11/03/14 10:40 AM

I have had my oats survive many freezes, it will depend on how long and severe the cold is. Wheat can handle cold for a longer period as well.

Depending on where you are and type of land, you may be able to give Alfalfa a shot, I had a 5-6 acre plot in Erath county for nearly 5 years. It got thinner each year, but you couldn't run the deer out after they got used to it.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Question bout oats - 11/03/14 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Western
I have had my oats survive many freezes, it will depend on how long and severe the cold is. Wheat can handle cold for a longer period as well.

Depending on where you are and type of land, you may be able to give Alfalfa a shot, I had a 5-6 acre plot in Erath county for nearly 5 years. It got thinner each year, but you couldn't run the deer out after they got used to it.

My post was not about the oats freezing but the rest of the green forbes and browse that are out there to concentrate the deer to the oats and then his corn. Only two food sources it better than whole country side.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum