Texas Hunting Forum

No activity at food plots and feeders

Posted By: Texas Dan

No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/02/14 10:56 PM

Anyone else seeing little or no activity at food plots and feeders in East Texas? I saw more deer this past weekend while hunting trails and crossings than while sitting at my food plot. It looks fantastic but the deer aren't touching it.

Must be a bumper acorn crop and plenty of browse.
Posted By: Bullhead45

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/02/14 11:36 PM

I hunted from two different stand only to see two Doe's and a fawn. The wind was a big killer for me. I was hunting in Elkheart Texas.
Posted By: Sader762

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 03:04 AM

Not a thing for 2 seeks in Panola county - East Texas
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 04:02 AM

It was slow this weekend for us as well, only had a young 8 and a couple does hanging around. Hogs are staying nocturnal.

Shot a coyote this evening so at the very least one less dog roaming the woods.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 04:05 AM

They are looking for love . Get out of the stand and get on the ground and rattle . Or wait a couple of weeks. When the bucks are run down and hungry.
Posted By: kagomez85

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 04:14 AM

Havent had anything coming into the food plots in the last 2 weekends, 3 weeks ago covered up. This weekend i seen alot deer all bucks but only 1 shooter,that i couldnt get a shot on. They are definitely chasing does, had a small four point cruise by me this within 10 yds while i was climbing into another stand around 10 he was nose down and didnt even acknowledge me.
Posted By: Jeep Beast

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 04:31 AM

Hunt County- nothing this weekend. Last deer seen on camera was Oct 25th. Bases on past years it usually picks up mid Nov for me.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 01:30 PM

If my oats get any taller, I think I'll need to mow them.
Posted By: GHale

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 01:47 PM

In Harrison County I saw one buck darting in and out of the woods on Saturday...too far for a shot. On Sunday evening I had 4 doe come to the food plot but didn't go near the feeder. They were nervous looking into the woods and finally left after 5 minutes. I had a bead on one doe but thought there was a buck getting ready to come out....which didn't happen. There will be more chances.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 01:58 PM

I have the same exact story. I am glad to read others are having the same issue simply because it lets me know it's not just my place. I saw decent activity the first two weeks but my place has been in "shut down" mode around the feeders and food plots for two weeks. I have never seen anything like it. Interestingly, I have few acorns this year. But the browse in the woods is amazing. The deer simply don't have to move to eat.

Am seeing a buck cruising here and there but with the does mostly remaining in the woods the usual "bucks coming to check the does feeding" is obviously not going to happen until after the first freeze. My daughter was with me this past weekend-but this upcoming weekend I am going to grab my .30-30 and stillhunt some if things remain the same.
Posted By: Kelly223

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 02:07 PM

In the blind now 1 doe wind is blowing
Posted By: rifleman

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 02:07 PM

Does I saw were hanging tight to the thickets. Wouldn't cross the field, but would pop out and walk the edges of the highline or pipeline plots. The ones that crossed were on the move. Bucks I saw seemed to be intercepting does along the creeks and then does would just run circles and keep going back into the thickets where they came from. They didn't seem real interested in getting pushed off their routine.

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 02:12 PM

Also seems like every doe has twins and nubbins still hanging with their mamas, so does for the most part for us are going to be cycling a little later than usual. Did see 1 buck that seemed to be more in lock down mode with a single doe than chasing.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 02:25 PM

Hunted Saturday only, but had both my stands filled with people so got a good idea of activity for early season. I had three bucks in the am at my stand, a young one started in the feeder before light and a spike joined him shortly after light. Had a 9 pt scraping and rubbing all around before he finally got in the feed pen and then the 9 pt and spike went nearly straight to the food plot where they were both shot. Same sit my other stand saw two young bucks go right past the feeder and food plot and not stop to eat.

Evening sit my stand saw two doe and a button buck with them hang around for about 2 hours while cows cleared in an effort to get to the feeder and food plot. They stayed in ts food plot until after legal time ended. Other stand that evening saw and shot a lone button buck at the feeder. Probably same one that by-passed the feeder in the am. He shot early and was out of the blind cleaning it before any real action started so hard to say what would have come.

Compared to a few weeks before when I had several shooter bucks at each stand regularly and many doe at each stand on a daily basis, activity has changed quite a bit, but this is pre-rut where I am and it will be full blown in a couple weeks so I expected things to change. I will hit it hard in a couple weeks and hope to see some of the bucks chasing doe or something, and if not then, maybe wait until after the rut to catch everything re-filling for winter.
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 02:40 PM

Same story here very slow, I've shut all of my feeders off because the corn is piling up, wheat is 8 inches tall and hardly any tacks in it. They disappeared here about 2 weeks ago, glad I'm not the only one either.
Posted By: vance

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 02:47 PM

Might be because the acorns are falling like crazy, at least in Bowie County.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 03:01 PM

I hunted a place in Smith County all weekend that is one of my honey holes. I have not hunted it at all until this weekend. I saw a total of 1 doe and 1 small 6 point. Didn't see a deer all day Saturday and this is a place that I usually see 15 in a morning. Corn is piled up under both feeders. It was horrible, glad it's not just my place.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 03:52 PM

Past week of so, the activity at the feeders have been way down. On opening morning, I had 7 doe come in. Then a spike came in chasing them all around the field. After the does left he went to the feeder. But the big bucks haven't been seen on camera for nearly 1 1/2 weeks now. Hopefully they'll come back. I did hear from a resident nearby that he hit a big trophy 10 pt with his truck middle of last week. I sure hope that was the 10 I've been watching all summer and last season. Where he said he buck is probably 4 miles from my lease.

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 04:07 PM

Wife is hunting this morning and I have the kiddo. He rode out to check cows with me earlier and he got to watch 2 middle aged bucks run does. He's not deer stand ready yet bc he was laughing loudly at the does running around.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 05:27 PM

No deer at the feeder with corn piling up. Decided to get on the ground along the fence line. Built a redneck blind out of hay bales and cedar yesterday and sat in it this morning. Had a young 8 point come across the fence with a spike and 4 point in tow. He let the 4 point jump the fence but not the spike. Lot's of does but not on my side of the fence. Was funny to watch the spike and the 8 point. Spikes ears were laid back like he was PO'd. Spike would move to the fence to jump it and the 8 point would lower his head like he was in the attack mode and push him back. Fun to watch but sure wish Mr. 8 would ease up on the spike. Spike needs a bullet. roflmao
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 05:32 PM

Still in the stand, can't get out, too much activity. Does keep hitting the feeder, and the bucks ( young) keep chasing them away!

Oats are barely doing anything, but at least I don't have corn piling up clap
Posted By: farpiece

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 06:24 PM

Same in Trinity County, corn piling up. One doe was shot, and that was about all that was seen. Had tons of deer on camera up till about the 25 - 27Th
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 06:38 PM

wife & i sat in food plot from 6:45 to 11, this morning and saw 2 spikes, 1- 4 pt., 1-8pt and 1 doe.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Also seems like every doe has twins and nubbins still hanging with their mamas, so does for the most part for us are going to be cycling a little later than usual. Did see 1 buck that seemed to be more in lock down mode with a single doe than chasing.

Same here, I had 2 does with twins at the feeder Saturday morning, and a doe with a nubbin buck Saturday evening...several guys on the lease saw bucks chasing, but I didn't have any sightings
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 10:29 PM

Very little feeder activity in Archer county as well
Posted By: Navasot

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/03/14 10:30 PM

no reason yet... still not cold enough.... yet
Posted By: nehntr

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/04/14 12:32 AM

One word cause. ACORNS
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/04/14 12:35 PM

Depressing this year in Dickens county !!! Saw numerous deer in May a minimum of 6 different bucks in velvet and numerous does at my water tank. Archery was really slow with no traffic at feeders. Now seeing minimal deer at feeders all does and small rack bucks. I believe it is the acorn crop of which I have none on my property unfortunately. Also it is so green from the rains this summer that they probably aren't moving much. Anticipating better conditions as soon as acorns are gone, rut takes over and we have a frost to kill all the great browse. Still optimistic!!!!
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: No activity at food plots and feeders - 11/04/14 01:28 PM

They're not hitting feeders much at my Palo Pinto co spot right now either corn is everywhere under the feeders the pigs aren't even cleaning it up right now, in my Erath co place does are still hitting feeders and bucks are chasing them like crazy it's by far my best spot but two of my cousins have killed bucks there in the last two days so I'm letting it rest especially after walking all over that area last night looking for my cousins buck which we did find eventually. I haven't even been to my ranch in Hood co yet I had big bucks hitting one of my spots there back in August and September but a new neighbor brought in cedar hackers and all the deer stopped showing up and I like to save my Hood tag for last since it is actually my dad and my place and not just family land. I figure I'll shoot the family place deer first and wait and hope my place gets back on track. I have a theory about the PaloPinto spot though on opening day of archery season my cousin heard a rifle shot from the neighbors place (of course we weren't suprised) they believe you are supposed to kill the first thing you see and everything else too. In fact one of them tried telling us when a doe and fawn come in he shoots the doe and waits for the dawn to come back and shoots it too, several years ago we told him we saw a doe but didn't shoot and he looked at us like we were crazy he lived to say "you can't eat them horns" so of course with his descendants hunting the same way our doe population suffers out here.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum