Texas Hunting Forum

stand or blind time

Posted By: whitewing maniac

stand or blind time - 10/30/14 01:19 PM

What time do you get in your stand in the morning. Ive known a few guys to be in stand 2 hours before daylight.

I would be asleep if I did that and probably scare off any deer around with my snoring. I get in stand about
15-30 minutes before daylight, how bout you.

In the evening about 2 hrs before sunset
Posted By: Seadog

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 01:21 PM

I usually get in mine about 45min to an hour before sunrise and usually around 3pm in the afternoon!!!
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 01:27 PM

I usually get in my stand about an hour before sunrise and any where from 3-330 in the afternoon.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 01:29 PM

I get in my blind 1 hour before sunrise and I do stay in my stand all day. I bring a sandwhich and snacks so I don't have to leave. the less movement, the better, IMO
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 02:26 PM

At least an hour before sun-up and 2 hours before sun down. I'll bring NVG to keep me entertained when it is dark in the morning. Nothing more spectacular than to see the stars through night vision. Or to see what is creeping around well before sun-up.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 02:40 PM

An hour to hour and a half before sun up. Sometimes stay there until dark. Can't see 'em if you aren't there. And, it's nice and relaxing looking across the place even if nothing shows up. I have been known to wake myself up with a snore now and then too.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 04:20 PM

about an hour maybe more.

I do have a guy across the fence that will be driving his atv to his stand almost at daybreak and usually comes out as the sun is setting bang I think he is scared of the dark grin
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 04:30 PM

About an hour before the sun even thinks about coming up. My cousin would wait till right at day break since his blind was about about a 1/4 mile walk. I'd give him chit every mornng grin
Posted By: CowboyHomer

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 04:32 PM

I usually get in about an hour before daylight and what time I get in there in the afternoon really depends on how I feel. Some days I come out stay out till about 3 and some days I am right nback in at 1.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71

I do have a guy across the fence that will be driving his atv to his stand almost at daybreak and usually comes out as the sun is setting bang I think he is scared of the dark grin

....mmmeeeeeeoooooowwwwww....... had a few guys like that on my lease before.

alarm set at 4:45 (current time)in the blind by 5:15 or so....back to sleep by 5:16...phone alarm set for 6:45...how long I sit depends on the rut....afternoon hunt I leave when it's good n dark....I don't think deer spook as much in the dark.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 04:43 PM

I've done the whole "two hours before the sun comes up" deal before, and I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I like being able to sneak up to a stand without walking anywhere near a feeder, and try to get there about an hour before daybreak now. Not saying I won't be moving a little slow and get in the stand right before or at daylight every once in a while.

I usually sit until 11 or real close to noon. If it's the right time of year, with the right weather, I will sit all day on occasion. Amazing how you will see bucks cruising by solo mid-day and late morning during the rut.

Usually between 3 & 4 in the afternoon.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 04:51 PM

I like getting set up in the dark. Usually an hour before sunrise.
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 05:36 PM

I get to the blind about an hour before first light and stay until 10:00-11:00, depending on the morning. The blind I hunted when I was younger was on top of the hill on a point near the cabin. I could smell the bacon cooking and that is when I would start walking down and would show up right as the biscuits were coming out of the oven and the gravy was done...never had much morning success with that set up since I was out of the blind by 8:00-8:30 haha.

Afternoon, I try to get to the blind about 3 to 3-1/2 hours before sunset and stay until I can't see anything. It isn't uncommon for pigs to come in after WT shooting hours, but still light enough to squeeze off a shot at some piggies!!!
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: stand or blind time - 10/30/14 05:44 PM

I think the 15-30 minutes before daylight is cutting it too close. Think of all the time watching TV commercials, etc. An extra 1/2 hour is time well spent. So figure 1 hour before first LIGHT (not sun up). That way if you get delayed, etc. you didn't blow the day.
Some of this may depend on how far away you might think the deer are as you come in. If they are close- you need more time on the stand before first light to let them settle down.
And...BE QUIET
Posted By: txwingnut

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 04:12 PM

Anyone sleep in their blinds? I have a 4x8 and have actually thought about just sleeping in it...
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: txwingnut
Anyone sleep in their blinds? I have a 4x8 and have actually thought about just sleeping in it...

Yes a few years ago, awful nights sleep. Plus I think I probably scared off the game with my snoring.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Yes a few years ago, awful nights sleep. Plus I think I probably scared off the game with my snoring.

At the last pasture we were on, we had a blind in a great location called El Diablo, it was the devil to get to it, either a hike through brush, or a 20 minute circular four wheeler ride, so morning hunts you were busting everything out either way; Often when there by myself, I'd sleep near the blind in a sack or pup tent, the blind was too small,
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: CowboyHomer
I usually get in about an hour before daylight

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Homer Jay

Homer Jay quotes CowboyHomer.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
I usually get in mine about 45min to an hour before sunrise and usually around 3pm in the afternoon!!!

What he said.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 07:07 PM

So what do you guys define as "daylight".

"Civil twilight" is a term used to describe the time before sunrise when there is enough light to work outdoors. It also starts around the same time when legal shooting hours begin, or about 20 minutes before sunrise.

"First light" is another term some will use, which I equate to when the first sign of light appears on the eastern horizon.

An hour before sunrise usually puts me on the stand about 30 minutes before first light.

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

So what do you guys define as "daylight".

"Civil twilight" is a term used to describe the time before sunrise when there is enough light to work outdoors. It also starts around the same time when legal shooting hours begin, or about 20 minutes before sunrise.

"First light" is another term some will use, which I equate to when the first sign of light appears on the eastern horizon.

An hour before sunrise usually puts me on the stand about 30 minutes before first light.

The official sunrise time (when the disk of the sun first pops over the visible horizon). I use a website called sunrisesunset.com. Enter a zip code and it produces a variety of calendars with sunrise and sunset times. You can include moonrise and moonset, moon phases, etc. It is only a ten minute walk to the blind so it is still totally dark when we get in the blind.
Posted By: Western

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 08:31 PM

I have an 8'x8' and yes I thought about it, but then I would get hungry so..... Have sure taken naps in there though..
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: stand or blind time - 11/05/14 08:33 PM

clap
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: stand or blind time - 11/06/14 03:11 PM

I have fallen asleep in my blind from time to time, but aint spent the night in it
Posted By: CB09

Re: stand or blind time - 11/06/14 04:30 PM

Feeders go off at 7 so i am in the stand around 6. In the afternoon i am usually there around 3:30.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: stand or blind time - 11/06/14 04:33 PM

Usually an hour to hour and half before sunrise. Then it depends on the day on what time I get back into the stand. I'm usually back in the stand no later than 3 and stay well past dark.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: stand or blind time - 11/06/14 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Schpanky
Originally Posted By: dlrz71

....mmmeeeeeeoooooowwwwww....... had a few guys like that on my lease before.

alarm set at 4:45 (current time)in the blind by 5:15 or so....back to sleep by 5:16...phone alarm set for 6:45...how long I sit depends on the rut....afternoon hunt I leave when it's good n dark....I don't think deer spook as much in the dark.

Why?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum