Texas Hunting Forum

So who will be using a lever action on opening morning?

Posted By: destroyer4570

So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:12 AM

I saw a post on here asking what everyone will be using on Saturday morning. I will be using My marlin 1894 cowboy that is new to me and have never taken hunting. I thought it would be interesting to see how many of are you taking and what lever action will you all be taking out into the field on opening morning.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:22 AM

I've got my great-granddads Marlin 336 that I might hunt with some this year. I need to shoot it more at the range first though. I've taken a few deer with it but I'd love to get back to shooting it more. And now that I've got a ton of brass and powder for it I really don't have and excuse not to.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:27 AM

Wow. You just reminded me I didnt sight in my savage 99. Swore to myself I would take something with it this year. Seriously appreciate the reminder.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:32 AM

I might use my Savage 99 later in the year, but I take it opening morning.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 04:14 AM

Saturday morning will the first time my new Marlin 336W has hit the woods.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 04:22 AM

Savage 99 in 308 for me
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 04:28 AM

Won't be able to make opening weekend but I will, as always, use my 308 BLR when I do get out.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 04:31 AM

Winchester 308 model 88. Was my Grandfather's gun. This is my first season without him and I don't plan on shooting another deer without it. Miss u pop pop hope we get a big one this season.

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 04:31 AM

Thanks for the replies, Interesting posts. And no problem on that reminder csddarden. Texas Dan, I Hope you get one on Saturday morning and break in that new 336. cow_doc I can relate I have a 336w too that I've had for some time I bought it at a pawn shop years ago, I've taken it hunting on only a handful of occasion and only have One kill with it. I need to change that and take it out more.
Posted By: Combine Kid

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 04:40 AM

I'll have my Marlin 30/30 that I got for Christmas when I was 13. I'm 40 now. I'll also have my granfathers trusty Sears & Roebuck 30/30 as a backup.
Posted By: RoadBlock

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 04:57 AM

My wife will be using her cut down lever action 30-30, her first rifle and hopefully her first deer with it this weekend.

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: destroyer4570
Texas Dan, I Hope you get one on Saturday morning and break in that new 336.

Thanks. I bought my Marlin lever-action more as a "back to the basics" gun to use whenever I hunt the National Forest as I have done every Opening Day for many years now. No food plots or feeders, just me and my overall knowledge of deer and the deer woods as my tools for success. I even decided to leave off the scope since my shots have always been so limited while hunting the Forest. Heck, I took my first Forest buck more than 20 years ago with a shotgun. I've had several good practice sessions with it and feel comfortable with shots out to 100 yards, even though shots at less than half that distance are expected in the area of the Forest where I always hunt.

Good luck and safe hunting to everyone.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 09:59 AM

Not opening but I will use a 1921 Model 94 in 30WCF at some point.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 12:03 PM

Yep, I'm shooting an old Marlin 30-30 that I put a Nikon 3x9 on, deadly. And my wife also likes shooting it and she's a little thing.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 01:06 PM

I'll be using my Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 and hoping to take a deer finally with it. I've used it on hogs and coyotes and it does a number on 'em. I'm good to under 200 yards with it so I'm hoping to make it happen. Lever guns just feel good.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:32 PM

I believe my Son will be using his 1895 in 30-06. His eyes are still young and he can make the iron sights work!

I on the other hand answer to "Old & Busted" and will have the Scope dialed up!

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:40 PM

TxYoteHunter, An 1895 SBL is a sweet rifle. I have the guide gun which I love but would like to add an SBL to the collection. I hope you get to drop a deer with it. I have dropped both hog and deer with mine, it's a thumper and all animals were DRT on the spot.
Posted By: Erich

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:44 PM

I wont be using it opening day because I need to make another trip to the range to finish sighting it in, but I've got a brand new marlin cowboy rifle in 45-70 that will definitely be hunting down at the ranch this year.

the funnest rifle I've bought in a long time by far.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 03:48 PM

Not opening morning but probably sometime in the next 3 days...love hunting with those open sights.
Posted By: RafterH

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 05:32 PM

I will have my 444 Marlin with my Ruger BH 45 Colt on my hip.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 06:23 PM

I mostly bow hunt out of tree stands, but every once in awhile I will take my 1972 Marlin 44 Mag up in the tree with me in case I cannot get a deer within bow range. I have taken 3-4 deer over the years with it. I will shoot my bow up to 40 yards and I don't mind shooting that Marlin out to 100 yards with open sights.

I love that gun.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 06:34 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to using the 336 dirty 30 on my first sit
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 07:17 PM

Probably won't have it opening morning but my 336w will make an appearance this season.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 09:19 PM

All this levergun talk and no pictures?

I will be using my Rossi Rio Grande that I had JES rebore/rechamber to 38-55 Win.

My dad will be shooting his Marlin 30GT...

We both will be shooting home cast bullets of my design.

Just walked back from his house, we both decided once the sun starts down we would go back and ring the 100-yard gong on my range and call it ready.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 09:23 PM

I love the lines on a lever action...I need to dig mine out. Ya'll might have convinced me to take a deer with it this year grin
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 09:34 PM

I'm taking my .444 this year. I've never killed anything other than a rattlesnake with it, so I need to get it bloody
Posted By: davvy

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 09:35 PM

Winchester 94 my dad got me for Christmas the year before he passed.
I always use it to take the first deer of the year then swap for my m77 7mm08
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/30/14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I love the lines on a lever action...I need to dig mine out. Ya'll might have convinced me to take a deer with it this year grin

trout WAKE UP YOU ARE TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP AGAIN. grin
Posted By: BrianMc

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 02:31 AM

I'm taking my Model 94 and my new AR10... dunno which will make the trip from the Jeep to the stand until I get up on Saturday morning.
Posted By: Bar M Ranch

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 03:33 AM

Model 99, 250-3000 Savage, Killed my first deer with it back in 1976.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 03:45 AM

Henry 30-30
Posted By: BBD84

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 04:22 AM

Got a new 45-70 this week and will be at my side guiding but if given time I want to shoot something with it this year.
Posted By: Twotoes

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 10:43 AM

I have my Dad's 1962 model 1894 Winchester in .32 Special. I shot my first deer with it in 1963.

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 10:55 AM

There's good reason lever guns have been popular for so long. They have a balance and weight that makes them a natural to carry and shoot.

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 03:46 PM

Texas Dan, I agree plus I just like the looks of the lever gun and not to mention the nostalgia of hunting with a lever action. After I take my first deer with my new to me 1894 cowboy limited, I may switch over to my marlin guide gun in 45-70. I haven't hunted with it last year so I may take it out of the case this year.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 04:59 PM

Last time I hunted with my Winchester 94 30-30 was about 20 years ago before I needed glasses, and I took a spike buck at around 40 yards with a neck shot and iron sights.
I might take it out and shoot a deer if I can get one close enough!

Dug it out of the safe and found a full box of Winchester 150 grain hollow points I don't remember buying. I hadn't had it out for a long time and I now marvel at the wood grain stock and beautiful lines of the rifle I just have always kind of took for granted. Oh yeah, they don't make them anymore, well except for the knock offs! cheers.....It's going with me in the morning!
Posted By: Roberteasttx

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 05:08 PM

1946 Marlin 36 30-30 iron sights
Posted By: DHS274

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 09:06 PM

Hunting the heavy woods on my property where the white oaks are dropping acorns, Marlin 45/70 as well. I have taken deer with it in Anderson county in years past. Dropped them on the spot, I like the quick kill.
Other good news is one the mature bucks that has been AWOL since May, well I got a photo of him two nights ago, on the camera I use to monitor my properties access road. That's why he is older, he remains elusive all year not just during hunting season. I can only hope he makes a mistake, he is not going to just walk up to a feeder or a blind, I will have to catch him moving through the hardwoods.
Posted By: bearkat11

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 09:54 PM

marlin 3030 open sights
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 10/31/14 10:19 PM

My FIL strictly hunts with lever guns. He'll have his 308 Marlin on opening morning.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 11/01/14 03:59 AM

Unfortunately, I wont be out opening weekend, but the first weekend I do go, I will be carrying either a marlin 336, 1895G, or a Rossi 92. Not sure which one, but I'm leaning towards the Rossi. No blood on the rossi yet.
Posted By: dr_pepp

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 11/01/14 11:39 AM

Not going this weekend, but next weekend I'll have my Marlin 308MX in the stand with me. This is an old photo from when I bought it, but it has a Nikon Monarch scope on it now.

Posted By: safdm44

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 11/01/14 12:48 PM

Or my Savage 1899 A 30-30

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 11/02/14 12:31 AM

dr_pepp and safdm44, those are some nice lever guns....So who all connected with a deer this morning with their lever actions? My morning went uneventful, didn't see a single deer nor did I hear any shots from the neighboring ranches.
Posted By: tigger

Re: So who will be using a lever action on opening morning? - 11/02/14 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Bar M Ranch
Model 99, 250-3000 Savage, Killed my first deer with it back in 1976.

I used mine this morning that I got for my 7 birthday in 1953.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum