Texas Hunting Forum

Ok Taylor county!

Posted By: Jasb

Ok Taylor county! - 10/24/14 04:43 PM

Yall ready? Deer are starting to move around here for sure.
Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/25/14 12:21 AM

O yea. Not many acorns left on my place. In fact it's the worst acorn crop I've seem in years. Grass is green but a freeze will kill that quick. I got a few older bucks but nothing too special. Had some nicer ones a few months ago but they gone already. LO is supposed to bulldozer my area soon but I'm not too worried. I did have some of the biggest deer I've seen in years a few months back tho. Should be a good winter out that way.
Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/25/14 12:31 AM

I'm ready!
Posted By: TDC4629

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/25/14 05:01 AM

at lake fort phantom,the activity has gotten hot and heavy!!!!!
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/25/14 01:19 PM

Most of my buck activity has been nocturnal
Still seeing does at daytime though
Posted By: Loanman

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/25/14 01:23 PM

Some of our guys hunted last weekend and they only saw three young bucks.....
We're hoping next weekend it gets going!
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/25/14 03:03 PM

Pulled my game cam last weekend. Lots of does and most of them still have a fawn (complete with spots) tagging along. Smaller bucks are still in their bachelor groups. No bucks worth shooting except a large spike which will be my cull buck this year. Surprisingly, only a single boar has been hitting the feeder. This is on our ranch south of Merkel.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 11:52 AM

This time tomorrow they are calling for 38!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 12:12 PM

I'm not seeing much at my local lease. I'm heading to guthrie shortly.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 12:24 PM

I'll be out there in the morning
Hope to see some bucks during shooting time for a change

What do you guys think about rattleing tomorrow?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparky45

I saw a snake rattle yesterday

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jasb

You keep them things on your place scared

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 12:38 PM

You keep them things on your place scared

He learned his lesson
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 01:12 PM

Nocturnal and no acorns
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 01:53 PM

I'll be out in the sw corner of Taylor. Everything has been nocturnal all summer....maybe 38 degrees will bring them out during shooting hours. Good luck this weekend and report back with what you see.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop Tine
I'll be out in the sw corner of Taylor. Everything has been nocturnal all summer....maybe 38 degrees will bring them out during shooting hours. Good luck this weekend and report back with what you see.

I know what you mean. most of my buck photos are at dark.
I am encouraged a little because some good ones are showing up at 6am
if I can get them to sleep in a little bit and show up around 7:15 aim
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/31/14 02:34 PM

I'm a believer that rattling never hurts. Making deer noise around deer don't bother them. IME

Might not bring your bucks crashing in but could, shouldn't scare any though.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 12:27 PM

It will be light enough to shoot in 10 minutes

Come on biggun

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 12:40 PM

I just heard the first shot
It was a way off to the north

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 12:56 PM

I had a lone doe come through about 7:30 and eat some hand thrown corn for 5 minutes or so and nothing since.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 01:59 PM

I just rattled some
I figured I didn't have anything to lose
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 02:10 PM

Anything coming in?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 02:18 PM

Nada
Posted By: TSU_Texan07

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 07:46 PM

Only saw one in mulberry canyon. Shot was fired just after daylight at the place to the west of us.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/01/14 10:39 PM

Got a Lil warmer than I expected this eve. Haven't seen much up north at my other lease. May try to hit up Taylor Sunday evening.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/02/14 02:04 AM

Had lots of action today. Bucks were chasing and a little sparring. Heard around 8 shots this am and 2 in pm. Hope the wind doesn't get too out of hand tomorrow.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/02/14 09:47 PM

I have been so disappointed morning hunting
I think I will just do evening hunts this week and see what I can stir up.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/03/14 06:10 PM

Lots of deer but all little bucks running. Killed 5 pigs so the dead pile is growing!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/03/14 10:52 PM

Got in the stand 20 min ago
Pretty windy and looking stormy

Beats sitting at the house anytime

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/03/14 11:20 PM

I'm here too, nothing yet.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/04/14 01:52 AM

Any luck tonight?
Posted By: shalbrooks13

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/04/14 02:33 AM

I'm right on the border of taylor and runnels county. Went out opening morning. Figured I'd go ahead and give rattling a chance. No luck. Nothing at the feeder but my buddy saw some does roaming in the wheat field. Aren't getting many deer at all at the feeder, interested in other buffets I guess. Went out yesterday evening and sat under a tree, saw a group of 8 does, no bucks all weekend. Movement was there, just not in the right places.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/05/14 01:13 PM

Got here a little late but I'm going to sit here until rain stops to see if anything comes out. Anybody else out this morning?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/05/14 01:20 PM

Too muddy to get anything done on the ranch so I'm in a blind this morning. Started coming down harder ever since I made it to the blind.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/05/14 02:03 PM

Got one doe one yearling and 5 toms. I'm not much on turkey but one of these looks like a horse tail hanging off his neck.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/06/14 10:38 PM

Gonna try an evening hunt I have not been out since the big rain

Under the corn feeder was tore up big time

The PVC feeder for protein was empty so I topped it off and jumped in the blind

Nice breeze from the NE
Right in my face

My neighbors feeder just went off and it's empty
_________________________ banana

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/07/14 12:02 AM

Deer have been moving. Next week looks like new moon phase+cold front/ possible freeze+ pre rut activities= me missing some work. Goodluck this eve. I'll leave my generator off a Lil longer for you.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/07/14 12:11 AM

I went out last night and glassed two sets of bucks going at it. They fought for at least 30 minutes. Ive also already been seeing quite a few broken bucks so I'm thinking the rut is almost in full swing.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/07/14 01:31 PM

I shot a nice big doe about 5:30 yesterday. I was by myself so it took some work getting her loaded, field dressed and headed to the processor.
There was a small group that has been coming in and I have been watching this big grey mature doe so I took her for some freezer meat. I will lay off for a few days because I want to hunt the cold weather next week

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/07/14 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DENTPUSHA
Deer have been moving. Next week looks like new moon phase+cold front/ possible freeze+ pre rut activities= me missing some work. Goodluck this eve. I'll leave my generator off a Lil longer for you.

I too am excited to hunt during the cold snap thats coming

and thanks for not running that generator too much grin

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/08/14 01:36 AM

I had 6 doe, small 8, small 3 and a nice male bobcat come threw. I should have a good tc pic of cat.... not sure why I let him walk but was cool to see him check things out. He went straight for code red on cotton hanger off of 600 lbs all season stand and fill. He also rolled around in a Sandy area 80 yds in front of me.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/08/14 03:29 PM

Anybody hunting this morning? I'm going this afternoon, but looking forward to the weather coming Monday night. Last year I started seeing mature bucks chasing on November 10th. Should be great hunting next week. Probably won't hunt tomorrow or Monday, but plan on spending the rest of the week in the woods. Good luck fellas

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/08/14 03:41 PM

Can't wait to head out early next week. Opening weekend, all the does still had fawns tagging along. Only one buck and he needs to walk another 2 or 3 years.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/08/14 06:26 PM

I had several doe and a few milk bucks early this morning. Bobcat came threw late this morning and I ended up shooting him. Just got back from Allens taxidermy to get a full mount.

I got lots of deer moving but still haven't saw any mature bucks during light. Unless a random buck shows I only have two other older buck worth shooting. I'm hoping some of the bucks I had in October return these next few weeks.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/09/14 12:58 PM

6 doe and a coon. Kinda nice with the wind not blowing as hard as its been. I'm thinking about banging b some horns together here shortly.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/09/14 02:33 PM

Can't wait to see how much rain fell on the ranch. We didn't hunt Saturday evening, opening weekend to scoop out 2 feet of silt in a dried out pond. Hopefully it has water in it now.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/09/14 07:32 PM

I'm headed out later today to top off the protein pipe feeder but I won't hunt again until Wed, then I'm hunting hard all week in the cold snap

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/10/14 01:22 AM

Saw lots of deer. Had a nice new buck show up finally. He showed up a little after some light rattling. It was getting dark and I spent too long trying to figure out who he was to shoot. him and another younger buck were deff interested in at least one doe. Should get good week. Goodluck gentleman.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/12/14 02:38 AM

Only seen 1 deer this evening. A 3.5 year old 8 that was limping pretty bad. Looked like during a fight, another buck hooked him under his right front leg. His hocks were stained dark black and he didn't hang around long. I'll be back at it in the morning....

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/12/14 03:24 PM

I had one of my shooter bucks come in yesterday and eat for 40 min. He wasn't as old or as big as I thought from pics. He could be really nice in a year or two. I'm heading to my lease up north soon as I'm cought up at work.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/13/14 01:43 PM

It's pretty windy this morning
Hopefully they will have to move in spite of the wind

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/13/14 06:39 PM

No deer movement this morning at our place
corn is beginning to pile up under the feeder
My pvc protein feeder was only lasting about 3 days before it was empty is now on its 4th day and is still half full. Very few pics on the gc over the past 6 days

a stick it out a few more hours and try some rattles then I'm heading in

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/13/14 06:50 PM

Looks like with the wind the past few days tonight it may be on!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/13/14 07:16 PM

What are you thinking will finally bring them out ?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/13/14 09:06 PM

Think he means they may move more since the wind is finally under 88.6 mph.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/13/14 10:07 PM

up

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/13/14 10:50 PM

Deer seem to be moving a little earlier today. They're all just staring at my feeders that haven't went off yet.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/14/14 01:40 AM

Spent all day breaking ice, putting out hay and filling feeders and saw more deer while driving around today than any other day this year. I will be thankful when this wind dies down though.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/14/14 01:33 PM

This. Wish I was hunting this morning.bang

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/14/14 10:15 PM

Just got in the blind 10 min ago
Pretty darn calm out
Wind out of the south

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/14/14 11:26 PM

Me too...hunting a wheat field

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/14/14 11:44 PM

Lots of shooting in the distance

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 11:18 AM

We had 3 people hunting yesterday afternoon and no one saw any deer.....or pigs either. Heading out again about 5:45. Anybody seeing any chasing yet? I know the BIG BOYS should be starting any day now....

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 12:50 PM

I stopped at the processor on the way in last night to pick up my doe I dropped off last week. There were about 5 deer that had been dropped off from the afternoon hunt.
We didn't see a thing and the wind was nearly dead calm. I have corn on the ground under the feeder and nothing has hit the protein for the past few days.

I'm going to lay off of this blind/feeder for a couple of weeks. I'm going to just hand corn a couple of spots I know and try to catch something moving through.
There is a wheat field about 1 mile from me, I bet that's where my deer went.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 01:11 PM

We've got 77 acres of wheat and 2 food plots. Deer aren't cleaning up feeder corn or hand thrown....but they don't hit the wheat till dark. Nothing yet this morning.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 01:19 PM

Our place is primarily wheat in the canyon, but there hasn't been much to look at (quantity wise) haven't even heard a shot on any nearby places this morning
Posted By: Growley

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 03:21 PM

I'm just south of Merkel. Haven't seen anything at all so far at this feeder today.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 10:41 PM

Saw a dozen hogs in the wheat around 3:45, now there's just shy of a dozen hogs running around mulberry canyon.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 10:46 PM

We're by Bradshaw and we can't find deer anywhere, maybe this eveing with the wind laying down a bit...
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 10:47 PM

We had mostly movement during midday just west of you. Hunters going out in morning and evening weren't seeing much - but those in the stand 1-4p saw lots of movement and deer

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 10:48 PM

Good luck.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 10:59 PM

Nothing yet. 4 people hunting this afternoon. Surely someone will see something....

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 11:23 PM

9 axis doe in the field when I got to the stand and now just a lone wt doe

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/15/14 11:38 PM

I've heard 3 shots so far. Still no show for me.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/16/14 11:52 PM

Painfully boring hunt this weekend...took my daughter hunting this weekend and we didn't see a deer...very bizarre.
Posted By: HuntingGreg

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/17/14 12:07 AM

I'm in the South Central Taylor in the hills and I have not seen a deer for 2 weekends. That is very unusual. I don't know of a time in the last few years that has happened. I'm not sure where they are. Good luck to all and I hope they show up soon, I would love to have something to watch.....

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/17/14 12:33 AM

we are hunting north east of Bradshaw and the same thing is going on. No Deer are showing up, corn is piling up under the feeder. We hunted hard 2 days last week, morning and evening. I took the weekend off and I'm glad I did. They are bound to show back up sometime, I just don't know when.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/17/14 12:57 AM

Yesterday afternoon 1 of our guys shot a 2.5 year old spike. I haven't seen a deer since Tuesday. Father n law seen 3 doe, some turkey, and a big hog this morning. I'm here through Tuesday morning and then I got a roof to do Wednesday and Thursday, then I'll be back after them.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/17/14 01:46 PM

Had a doe come through a food plot this morning real nervous and out of breath. She left immediately and about 2-3 minutes later a spike came in on her trail with nose to the ground and followed her out. 5 minutes later a young 6 point does the same thing. Finally seeing some bucks (even though young bucks) nose to ground with only 1 thing on their minds.....

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/17/14 02:48 PM

We hunt in Mulberry Canyon, south of Merkel. Activity at feeders has been slow. Saturday evening we did have one big buck challenge a smaller one over a doe. Since last weekend was my last time to hunt this year, I took a 2 1/2 year old buck. Was hoping for a nice doe, but nothing was showing up except at the protein feeders.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/17/14 03:27 PM

Deer are hitting the acorns. Notice this pass weekend we had a major drop in Acorns.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/18/14 12:56 PM

I have oak canyons on my place. I am going to try hunting the draws that I know they travel instead of the blind.
I'm tired of sitting and not seeing anything. I'm getting one of those insulated pillow seats today and I will just sit under a tree over looking the draws.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/18/14 12:57 PM

Getting pretty frustrating at this point for me.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/18/14 01:06 PM

Getting pretty frustrating at this point for me.

yeah, and this year is worse than last year when they quit hitting the feeders.
I have hundreds of oaks on my land and a wheat field about 2 miles away, so I have to rethink my hunting strategy for sure.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/18/14 01:19 PM

Deer are thick in the wheat at night over here. Our corn was not getting hit but they seem to be on it again, but it's at night too.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/18/14 02:05 PM

Sat a blind yesterday afternoon on the far west side of the ranch. Only deer seen were a young 6 and 4 pt. Both with nose to the ground and didn't stop for corn or wheat. Headed back to Denton this morning and I'll be back in a blind on Friday.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/18/14 02:39 PM

Look like a good morning to be out hunting. I don't have any acorns left out at my place and I've been seeing plenty of doe and younger bucks. Hopefully this freeze gets the bigger deer moving around some.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/19/14 12:37 AM

Ive still been seeing lots of movement but we don't have ANY oaks on the ranch. Feeders and wheat fields are getting hit hard. Has anyone been seeing pigs? Dang pigs have been more nocturnal than the deer over here.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/19/14 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunter_812
Ive still been seeing lots of movement but we don't have ANY oaks on the ranch. Feeders and wheat fields are getting hit hard. Has anyone been seeing pigs? Dang pigs have been more nocturnal than the deer over here.

I had a sounder of 8 come in a couple weeks ago, mostly 100-125 lb gilts. I was able to shoot 2 of them. Good eating. That's the last time I've seen pigs or any sign of them

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/19/14 01:34 AM

Bucks are going nuts in NE part of the county. Shot a real nice 10pt that has been chasing hard for the past 5 days

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/19/14 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Revoman
Bucks are going nuts in NE part of the county. Shot a real nice 10pt that has been chasing hard for the past 5 days

I hope their going nuts in the SW part this weekend. Young bucks are starting to roam....

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/19/14 04:12 PM

Mulberry Canyon has been pretty hot also

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 12:26 PM

Looks like LO has bulldozed my whole area. I'm hoping my trail cams made it threw. I knew this was coming but I'm kinda curious if it will bother deer movement.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 12:36 PM

Looks like LO has bulldozed my whole area. I'm hoping my trail cams made it threw. I knew this was coming but I'm kinda curious if it will bother deer movement.

LO?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 12:43 PM

Land Owner

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 12:46 PM

oh crap, sorry to hear that.

I checked my TC yesterday and finally had a few does showing up in the afternoons before dark.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 01:07 PM

So far so good. I can see the tree with cam on it still standing. I got three doe at one feeder and I don't think other one went off. I can see way more territory now. I can't sit still looking at all the open lanes now.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Land Owner

Yeah I should have finished my coffee before asking.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 01:37 PM

Father-n- law called last night and said he had pics of the "Big 8" at his feeder around 3 am. Good to know he's still alive and someone may get a shot at him. All the mature bucks disappear from camera as soon as their velvet comes off and we don't see them again till the rut starts. He's the biggest body deer I've ever seen in this area. Looks like he should live in the panhandle or even Kansas he's so big. Definitely 6+ years old. 22-23" wide and heavy mass....no idea what he'd score, but he better not give me a shot rifle
Posted By: 70elcamino

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/20/14 08:52 PM

I am in far west Taylor county, up against jones county near Trent. At 2:30 , I heard my neighbor take one shot, then about 10 minutes later, 3 more. Hoping something comes my way now. Corn was still under the feeder from this morning.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/21/14 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: 70elcamino
I am in far west Taylor county, up against jones county near Trent. At 2:30 , I heard my neighbor take one shot, then about 10 minutes later, 3 more. Hoping something comes my way now. Corn was still under the feeder from this morning.

did you end up seeing any movement at all?

I'm going back out tomorrow and hunting evening and Sat Morn. I went into the canyons of my place and corned active trails I know and set up a pop up blind overlooking the spots.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/21/14 04:02 AM

I never saw anything, the neighbor fired another two shots about 5pm.But again, not sure exactly what he is shooting at.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/21/14 10:59 PM

I'm here . Nothing yet....and not holding my breath either.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/22/14 01:02 AM

Good luck to everyone.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/22/14 02:00 AM

Had a young 8 come in at dark. Nothing else. Try again in the morning.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/22/14 03:15 AM

Same thing
Hunter the canyon till near dark

Going back out in the morning

Hoping for a calm night tonight

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/22/14 01:02 PM

I saw 2 big bodied deer under the feeder while walking in a few min ago
They walked off looking unalarmed

At least there is movement this morning

Very light rain starting

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/22/14 01:35 PM

I have does feeding now
Also Hearing some shots fired around in. The distance

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/22/14 01:37 PM

4 pt come through and munched corn for a few minutes after rain stopped. Didn't hang around long though.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/23/14 04:43 PM

Dropped a 200+ lb boar yesterday afternoon. It had been raining pretty good on and off all day and when it began to ease up, he decided to stop by for some corn. 150 gr Nosler Accubond in his right eye.....big mess out the other. Needless to say he was DRT!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/23/14 10:20 PM

Kinda windy but I'm in the blind.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/24/14 03:05 AM

Saw a doe about 4pm, shot a buck about 5:30 , just after the feeder went off. Certainly was windy today.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/24/14 03:30 PM

Really thought I would see some movement this pening but nothing so far.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/24/14 03:35 PM

Morning* don't know where pening came from

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/24/14 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: 70elcamino
Saw a doe about 4pm, shot a buck about 5:30 , just after the feeder went off. Certainly was windy today.

you've went out like 3 times and shot two deer. You are making me look bad banana

congratulations, are you using that 30.06?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/24/14 10:59 PM

Just had a 3yr 10pt come out and ate till the feeder went off. I feel like I should have sat on a field but still trying to sit in all the stands at least once!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/24/14 11:18 PM

I had 2 bucks on the food plot when I got to the blind. Young 8 and 4 pt. I got here at 4 30.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/25/14 12:30 PM

Saw the 10 I'm after last night at about 500 yards. Had 3 doe being chased as well...The rut is in full swing out here, so much so I took off Wednesday from work. Oh and I belly shot another pig, last seen going wee wee wee all the way to the fence!
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/25/14 01:10 PM

Good luck hope you get him!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/25/14 11:36 PM

Jasb what part of taylor county are you in?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/25/14 11:38 PM

Good luck.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 12:26 PM

Is it me or is the wind not blowing for once. I got cows under feeder but it'd all good, looks like a good morning on the way.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 12:51 PM

Very little wind this morning....but still no deer sightings yet

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 01:14 PM

I got a nice mature 8 with a doe here. Still got cows all over the place.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 01:33 PM

Have you seen any signs of chasing yet?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop Tine

Have you seen any signs of chasing yet?

I really haven't hunted this lease too hard thus year. I haven't seen any hard core evidence in the few times I've been out here. That 8 that was just here was swollen but he wasn't on a rampage. He ate with doe then pinballed threw the cows and is gone now. I've heard a few shots south of me.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 03:36 PM

Had 4 doe come in and eat till 830.didnt see anything on drive in. I'll prolly give it a go this eve.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 05:55 PM

Had 6 small bucks on a hot doe this morning. The rut is in full swing! She needed down and a big 7 stood watch with the little guys fought.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 05:56 PM

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 05:57 PM

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/26/14 05:58 PM

5 other doe ate with nothing to do with it. She was bedded up at 10 in front of me, waited for a big guy but nothing showed up. 2 three year olds fought for 10 minutes.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/27/14 12:57 PM

Hunted yesterday afternoon and didn't see a thing. Back in a different blind this morning. I can see the hand thrown corn I put out yesterday is already gone. Feeding at night....no daylight pics

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/27/14 02:40 PM

Yesterday evening saw lots of deer most were a ways off. Had 3 doe and a young 8 at the feeder. I've been seeing the young bucks chasing.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/27/14 03:23 PM

Had two young spikes chase off my 4 doe this morning. I think the spikes kinda scrapped a little behind a pin oak, sounded like two pencils hitting each other. May go this eve if im not too full.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/27/14 05:44 PM

Saw a nice 9 on the run, couldn't get a shot. Buddy saw 3 small bucks and 3 doe, he shot a doe.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/28/14 01:32 AM

Deer season is over for me. I'm headed to the ranch to remove my personal property and hand the keys over. Hopefully, the job offer in San Antonio is a good one, otherwise I'm moving to either Tennessee or Alabama.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/28/14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Deer season is over for me. I'm headed to the ranch to remove my personal property and hand the keys over. Hopefully, the job offer in San Antonio is a good one, otherwise I'm moving to either Tennessee or Alabama.

Best of luck Carey. Hope you find the job you're looking for!

Gusty 20 mph wind and warm....not ideal hunting weather. Father n law seen a mature buck following a doe yesterday evening and his nephew seen several bucks pestering doe also. Maybe a love sick "muy grande" will mess up this afternoon.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/28/14 10:54 PM

Went out Thursday Morning to fill the feeder and water. While I was filling the water in the big field, I noticed a doe heading towards me with her head down. When I moved, it spooked her and she took off running. This was about 10am, first one I have seen before lunch.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/28/14 11:01 PM

Still seeing same reg deer at my place. I'd really like to get me some meat while it's warm. I had 9 deer at feeder last night when I left so hopefully they come a little more early this eve.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/29/14 01:08 PM

Everything is about shut down on my place and has gone nocturnal. About time for a big boy to go cruising looking for a late hot doe.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 11/29/14 01:53 PM

Mornings have been extremely slow this year, so I decided to sleep in instead. Will give it another go this afternoon. Wind should start to calm around 5 or so.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/01/14 10:20 PM

Wife dropped a buck yesterday evening. This was her third season hunting this guy! 1000's of trail cam photos but not one sighting til yesterday!

Posted By: rytheguy84

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/01/14 10:21 PM

Heck of a buck, congrats to her!!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/01/14 11:23 PM

Just got my own buck! Pics coming in a bit

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/01/14 11:27 PM

popcorn

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/02/14 01:22 AM

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/02/14 03:04 AM

Here's a better pic.

Posted By: deadlast2004

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/02/14 03:53 AM

Very nice

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/02/14 04:07 AM

Nice wide buck congrats!

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/02/14 12:39 PM

sat in the blind yesterday from 3 till dark.
after seeing nothing, I blew the grunt call about 45 min before dark to see what might happen
I had a immature 6 point from upwind of me, run up to the fence line about 100 yards from me, look around and wander off.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/02/14 09:57 PM

I saw some nice bucks chasing same doe yesterday eve. One was deff a shooter but he blazed out of there when rancher came to feed cattle right at prime time. Won't make it out there this eve, may make it in morning. Yall still seen any bucks chasing?

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/03/14 06:51 PM

Haven't been in a week but I'll be out tonight.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/03/14 10:58 PM

Haven't been in a week but I'll be out tonight.

I'm here too....pretty quiet so far.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/04/14 12:58 AM

Nada

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/04/14 04:10 AM

I saw several beer at the Tap House this eve, few nice doe up there.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/05/14 04:17 AM

I watched 3 doe come out about 5:15pm, I shot the biggest one of the three. They came out smallest to largest.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/05/14 10:17 PM

Got Here at 3:30
Set the feeder off and got in the stand

I need some more grinding meat so I'm getting an itchy Trigger finger

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/06/14 01:56 PM

Kinda windy and foggy this morning. Haven't saw nothing but cows so far.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/06/14 03:22 PM

3 doe this morning and one fox...shot the fox

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/08/14 12:43 PM

Sat in the blind yesterday with a friends son, trying to let him get a deer. It was cool and perfectly still out there, no wind or noise at all. Too me it was too quiet. Hogs came in about 5:40 pm. We fired, and hit, but they still jumped up and ran off. Also heard firing in the distance about 5:30pm.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/08/14 04:11 PM

I hunted yesterday afternoon again......nothing...AGAIN!!! mad soap

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/08/14 04:20 PM

All I had was a few doe and young 8 late yesterday eve. Mature bucks are hard to come by this year for me.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/08/14 09:39 PM

Just checked game cams, all my stuff is nocturnal again.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/11/14 11:14 PM

Anybody hunted lately?
Any daylight deer sightings?

Gonna try again this weekend and Monday morning....then off to the Junction/Leakey area to start my Black Buck hunt Monday afternoon.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/13/14 03:33 AM

I'm calling uncle for the season. Man it's been a bad one....

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/16/14 04:15 PM

Indeed it has been. I'm actually thinking bout letting this lease go after 8 years.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/16/14 08:16 PM

Indeed it has been. I'm actually thinking bout letting this lease go after 8 years.

Sat in a blind yesterday afternoon and had 10 deer eating hand thrown corn by 5:00.....but I was at my uncle's place outside of Rocksprings. Shot a 3.5 year old cull that he needed gone. Driving in to Junction this morning, I probably saw 30+ whitetail from Hwy 377. I didn't leave Rocksprings till 7 am. They aren't nocturnal down here.

Seen 2 good Blackbucks this morning at the ranch I'm hunting, but couldn't get a good shot on them. This is my 1st time to hunt Blackbuck and these guys are constantly herding their does. May have to sneak close enough that I feel comfortable taking a shot while he's walking.

Much better than sitting in a blind waiting for the last 10 minutes of legal shooting.....to either see nothing or a couple young deer, like I do in Taylor county.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/17/14 02:50 AM

Watched a 9pt chase a doe this morning. 2nd rut may be on

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 12/17/14 11:56 AM

I haven't hunted in over a week. Tired of not seeing anything to shoot.

Going back to hunt Friday PM and gonna sit it out Saturday and spend most of the day in the blind in case they are moving mid day again.

I guess if nothing else, I will wait till early Jan when the does start to herd back up and hit the corn and get me some grinding meat then.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 01/03/15 08:36 PM

We braved the bad roads and ice and went out yesterday afternoon thinking this weather would stir movement. Yesterday about 30 min prior to dark we had good movement but nothing to shoot at the feeder until it was too dark
They pinned us in the blind until about 630

this morning about 20 min after the feeder went off they stepped out again, nice small group of big mature does. My son took the oldest one with a perfect neck shot with our old trusty 270

We are putting a lid on this season. What a bad one it has been for us in Taylor County.
We like to take 2 deer off of the place and I never thought we'd see another one during shooting hours.

We can now concentrate on clearing out some pigs.

Re: Ok Taylor county! - 10/20/15 12:20 PM

You guys going to play this year?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum