Texas Hunting Forum

How many of you don't hunt over feeder?

Posted By: enock

How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 02:09 PM

After feeding hogs ALL of last deer season I'm considering not putting corn in feeder this year. I built a pen around feeder and they still figured out a way to break in. Its real sandy soil where I'm at so digging under pen is no problem. I had over 1000 pics of hogs last year and not a single deer. I did manage to take a nice 8 point but it was a 300 yard shot as he was no where near the feeder and all deer seemed to avoid the area. I'm thinking of old schooling it this year and just throw corn out before hunting. So far I haven't seen a trace of hogs and deer seem to be moved back in. The other hunters on lease think I'm crazy don't think I'll have much luck. Wish me luck!
Posted By: Weegs

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 02:17 PM

I am on a managed lease so we have to (get to smile ) take a bunch of does. Last season I took more deer someplace other than my stand and feeder set-up. Most of my deer were taken by taking a position under a tree overlooking a trail and just being quiet. Yes, pay attention to the wind and all the other "hunting" stuff. Now to be clear, I am throwing corn this year, and when the weather was really cold last year I did go back to my stand and heater! And yes, I have already cut the corner on my MAN CARD.
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Weegs
when the weather was really cold last year I did go back to my stand and heater! And yes, I have already cut the corner on my MAN CARD.

thats just smart! hunting suppose to be fun!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 03:26 PM

Depends on the conditions and what I'm after, but I always have the option of hunting near feeders.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 03:30 PM

I don't like to hunt and stare at a feeder. I'll hunt near one, but I have to see a long distance in several directions and every now and then have a view toward the feeder.
Most of the action has always been down the long senderos never right at the feeder.
A feeder to me is just to keep the does in the area nothing more!
Posted By: NETxHunter

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 03:30 PM

I have a box blind with a heater in it, that watches a feeder for the really cold days and trips that my son goes with me. Other than that I have a couple of places that I hunt where I don't have a feeder. I kill hogs and see does at the feeder. Feeders attract more hogs and coons than anything else on my place. I don't have a feeder pen. But I have shot 7 hogs this year and 26 last year.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 03:34 PM

I will be doing both this year....165 yds to feed pen with hog panels and lots of still hunting other areas away from my pen with my 30/30 open sights....

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:00 PM

This is my 4th year on lease and i have yet taken a deer at feeder. It really is a "hog feeder". The other hunters filled feeders up in sept and are currently over run with hogs. I have a feeling I'm going to have a good year. I hunt near a creek bottom that opens up to 50 acre wheat field so theres plenty to look at.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:06 PM

Hunted over feeders most of my life. We own our own hunting property now and it has been nice to get out and move around more. I really enjoy hunting trails. I will take a little corn with me and corn a spot in the trail just to get them to stop for a while, either for a shot or just to watch.

I enjoy having the option to hunt both ways.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:08 PM

I like the deer to think they are safe at the feeder so we usually post up away from them. I do love a food plot hunt though.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:11 PM

80% of my hunting is pure just-see-what-shows-up.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:15 PM

Sounds like you need a little hog control during the off season. If you shoot a few at the feeder it will deter them for "awhile".
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:23 PM

I guess I'm just not patient enough, but sitting in a box staring at a feeder is just not my cup of tea.

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:38 PM

Oh I killed many hogs last year! They would stay gone for a week or so then come back. They got smart on me and started hitting feeder between 12-3 am. I actually pulled an all nighter one time and had a blast! But I don't want to hog hunt during deer season.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:40 PM

Build feed pens.

I doubt hogs at night is hurting your hunting much, it may be helping it if it keeps the deer off the feeders at night.
Posted By: sloveless

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 04:44 PM

I usually hunt over a feeder due to the thick brush country that I hunt. I do enjoy sitting under a tree and watch the edges of grain fields though. Probably my most enjoyable hunts was belly crawling ~100 yards through a grain field to get a shot on a doe.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 05:21 PM

I throw corn, it is mucho cheaper.
Posted By: joeycoates

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/22/14 09:31 PM

I used to hunt feeders but the past 2-3 years I have mainly been hunting on random places. In the mornings I have a few spots where I will use a climber in the woods and catch tham as they move along trails and in the evenings I have a few large fields I hunt. They will normally come out into the fields to eat/bed late in the evening, ohe past two years I have taken 3 doe at 312, 476 and 532 yards. I do not even use a blind or pop up any more, I have a shooting bench that rotates 360 degree's so I just drive my truck out into a corner of the field with the bench in back and wait. I just sit with my Zen Ray ED3 bino's, Leica CRF 1200 rangefinder, Kestrel 4500 wind meter and the Shooter app on my phone. I do not even wear camo when I go out in the evenings, heck, I am alraedy sitting in the back of a F-350!
Posted By: DHS274

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/23/14 01:34 AM

I don't, I own land in East Texas and I like to hunt the woods along my creek. This year I set up near some white oaks, loaded with acorns. I have harvested nice bucks in that low area, only 1 of 5 ever showed up on a game camera near the feeder.

I have a feeder out there and most winters it really picks up after the season when food sources become more scarce. I set the feeder near some game trails, sometimes they stop, other times they continue on to something more interesting, like acorns.

I do sit the feeder for hogs, most times I get my best shot when they are leaving the feeder, 20 to 30 yards from it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/23/14 01:49 AM

Only when it's really cold I then to hand corn pinch points. In early October I might set a feeder if cameras are showing a pattern
Posted By: A.B.

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 10/23/14 02:32 AM

In the panhandle I usually hunt my first box I put up in the late 80's and it doesn't have a feeder. I just sit along buck creek and watch them pass by going to a peanut circle. grin

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 11/03/14 04:43 PM

update on not hunting over feeder...
My son and I shot 2 doe sat evening. Had 9 doe out where I hand threw corn and NO HOGS! I was the only one this weekend on lease that saw deer, Other hunters on lease had nothing but hogs at feeders. I think they're going to turn their feeders off for a while and let them hogs move on somewhere else. Looks like my plan worked! They were a little skeptical about how I would draw deer in. Heck I didn't even have a feeder when i was a kid, just threw corn out in a few key places. Hope everyone had a great weekend! I got meat in the freezer!!
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: How many of you don't hunt over feeder? - 11/03/14 07:10 PM

me
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum