Texas Hunting Forum

Montague county

Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Montague county - 07/26/14 07:41 PM

Anyone seeing anything on camera in montague county around Muenster, Capps Corner, or around there?

Re: Montague county - 07/27/14 04:20 AM

And also how is the hunting on the river? Use to hunt up that way several years long years ago.
Posted By: Yildiz

Re: Montague county - 07/28/14 01:15 AM

Just got my cameras out on two differnt leases, I know there's some big bucks by the lake
Posted By: LoonMan

Re: Montague county - 07/28/14 02:03 AM

I'm a little west of Capps Corner.
Turkey's have shown back up this year after being gone for 5.
My cameras are out. Haven't checked them in over a month.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague county - 07/29/14 03:32 PM

I have only one feeder running now with no camera. Appears to just be hogs/turkey hitting the corn. I scared a big hog out of the brush next to it the other evening seeing if there was any corn on the ground. Deer are out and about eating all the green stuff. We are finally putting hog panels up on half our feeders so hope to see more deer now.

Lots of quail! For now...
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Montague county - 08/06/14 03:09 AM

My lease is near the lake and I checked cameras last week, after only having the feeder up for the week, I had good traffic. The big buck from last year still hanging around. He is 10 pt probaby 5 yr old. I am super excited but hoping there are some more mature bucks coming. No hogs or turkey.
Posted By: Curt70

Re: Montague county - 08/11/14 04:53 AM

I'm just over the Indian Bridge and into Oklahoma, probably a mile or 2 from you across the river. We are seeing some really good deer this year. We have a few 10 pointers and one or 2 mature shooters. The craziest thing is all of the grasshoppers in that area for the past few years - its Biblical! They ate up most of my Spring soybean plots.

Re: Montague county - 08/11/14 07:19 PM

Lots of turkey and hogs. One decent young buck. Only have had my cameras out for a week or so

Re: Montague county - 08/20/14 03:40 AM

Latest pics from last, saw 2 turkeys. Hadn't seen turkey on my lease. Hopefully will start seeing more. My stock tank is now a mud tank.
Posted By: Hoosier Texan

Re: Montague county - 08/20/14 06:03 AM

Our tank is still full and grass is still very green.

Re: Montague county - 08/30/14 01:08 AM

Okay guys, for about 4 weeks straight we have had pics of pretty decent mature bucks every morning and evening. About 2 weeks ago they disappeared from the feeders. Not just one feeder but all the bucks that was coming to every feeder on the place. Now all we have is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 year old bucks and does. Anyone else having this problem? I was gonna blame the heat we have been having but there aren't any night time pics of mature bucks either. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Montague county - 08/30/14 01:13 AM

Could be mesquite beans, persimmons, acorns or another mast crop if you have any of those. Bucks are starting to break up the bachelor groups a bit here. Somedays they are all together and other days they are separate.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Montague county - 08/30/14 03:28 AM

See this every year, while I am no biologist, I believe the bucks are starting to stake out primary territory. Of course during the rut this doesn't matter. This and what STX said, some good supplemental food source is coming into prime.

Re: Montague county - 08/30/14 02:21 PM

I'm getting ready to go pull my cards later this weekend. I always have a few younger bucks and alot of doe on cam during the summer, but don't start seeing mature bucks until mid to late August.

Re: Montague county - 08/30/14 03:05 PM

Alright thanks for the info guys. I've always hunted South and West so kind of new to the northern deer patterns. On my places south and west, the mature ones usually would show up around late August and would be spotted pretty often.

Re: Montague county - 09/03/14 12:56 AM

Checked Cams this past weekend. The mature bucks we were seeing still hasn't been seen. But had a couple decent 3.5 year old bucks on the cams. A few in velvet and a few that had them sharpened up already. Cant help but to get a little excited. Sharpened horns mean September 27th is getting closer!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Montague county - 09/03/14 09:25 PM

I'm just South of Bowie. I'll be filling feeders and setting up cams this weekend. I don't believe I've seen a deer in 3 months. But that's not real unusual until I get a chance to sit still and watch. Tractors, pickups and chain saws don't exactly draw deer.

Re: Montague county - 09/04/14 08:46 PM

I just pulled my card today. The first pic is the little 8 that has been showing up all year. That was the only buck I had seen at the feeder until I pulled my card today, but these boys started showing up about mid August and have been at the feeder almost every night. I have never seen any of these bigger bucks before, so I don't know how long they will stay around.

Re: Montague county - 09/05/14 02:43 AM

Nice looking bucks
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Montague county - 09/05/14 08:51 AM

Looking good!!!

Re: Montague county - 09/05/14 05:55 PM

Awesome bucks! That 10 looks like one I've had hitting my feeders in August. Are you near Nocona Lake?

Re: Montague county - 09/05/14 07:32 PM

We've finally had some decent rains and some oaks on my place have acorns. It might be a good year.

Re: Montague county - 09/05/14 11:06 PM

No, I hunt right outside of Montague.
Posted By: krod777

Re: Montague county - 09/05/14 11:09 PM

Looking good!
Posted By: Texsun

Re: Montague county - 09/08/14 12:19 AM

I'm between St Jo and Montague.

Re: Montague county - 09/08/14 02:36 AM

Very nice Hoosier...my bow spot is not far from you I'm just north of Montague. This is my first year hunting this track and have been feeding close to a month. First decent buck showed up below. I also hunt some land east of Nocona for years but haven't seen much for bucks over there it's pretty heavily hunted

Y'all think about 3?

Re: Montague county - 09/08/14 01:37 PM

Checked my stuff last week. Nothing but pigs, does, fawns, and small bucks. Not one decent set of antlers yet. No more turkeys. I just put in food plots and hoping for a good rain later in the week.

Re: Montague county - 09/14/14 10:10 PM

Re: Montague county - 09/22/14 11:42 PM

Bump

Re: Montague county - 09/23/14 10:41 AM

I filled feeders the weekend before last. All 6 were hit that afternoon and evening. It really surprised me. Some were pretty impressive bucks. But, I didn't get that many doe pics.

I'm not real sure what's going on yet. Due to a pretty good acorn crop, hunting might be better later in the season. Or, the acorns might make hunting suck.

I'm just South of Bowie off Fruitland Road.

Re: Montague county - 09/23/14 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Yildiz
Very nice Hoosier...my bow spot is not far from you I'm just north of Montague. This is my first year hunting this track and have been feeding close to a month. First decent buck showed up below. I also hunt some land east of Nocona for years but haven't seen much for bucks over there it's pretty heavily hunted

Y'all think about 3?

Sorry I missed your post Yildiz. Looks to be 2 1/2 in the pic but hard to tell. Nice buck though! Still have the boys coming to my feeder for now along with the same 4-5 doe every night but at different times.

Re: Montague county - 09/29/14 04:07 PM

Lots of deer coming to feeders. More bucks than does. About 95% nocturnal. Acorns are starting to drop.

Re: Montague county - 09/29/14 11:30 PM

Yeah, mine are nocturnal also...seems to be more so in Montague than alot of other places. I hunted Saturday evening and was drenched in sweat it was so hot in the blind...game cam showed them there an hour after I left. Hunted Sunday morning...they were there hour before me...smart bastards hammer
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Montague county - 09/30/14 12:50 AM

That buck is older than 3 IMO. Looks middle age.

Re: Montague county - 10/06/14 01:09 AM

Had 4 bow hunters this weekend. One spike taken. Acorns have dropped and deer are ignoring feeders.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Montague county - 10/06/14 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Had 4 bow hunters this weekend. One spike taken. Acorns have dropped and deer are ignoring feeders.
Same thing happening with us, we are just past Stoneburg.

Re: Montague county - 10/10/14 01:40 PM

Anything to report in Montague from the group? I think I'll be in the stand tomorrow afternoon when the weather clears a bit and also Sunday morning. I also thought about checking the game cams to see how the activity has been with the acorns now dropping.
Posted By: Glassangler

Re: Montague county - 10/13/14 03:00 AM

Didn't hunt this weekend, but checked cameras. lots of new bucks nothing to speak about. Acorns are dropping for sure but all small at my place and at home. But with the new bucks and doe on camera, things are changing......No telling what will show up any day now. I'm getting excited and everyone is to!!!

Re: Montague county - 10/13/14 08:30 PM

Not seeing anything but little bucks on cameras at feeders.
Seeing pigs. Shot a few with my bow. This rain will help my wheat. I'll be out there next day or two to check cameras.

Re: Montague county - 10/14/14 03:31 AM

I had 2 bow hunters this weekend and they saw nothing. The high winds didn't help. I expect 40 MPH winds brought down a lot more acorns. The six Game Cameras are showing about 20% of the deer that showed up prior to the acorn drop. I figure hunting will be lousy until December.

Re: Montague county - 10/21/14 08:56 PM

Bucks started showing up again late last week banana

Re: Montague county - 10/22/14 12:43 AM

Can't wait to check my camera's. Although the pasture was mowed for Hay this past weekend, so who knows.

Re: Montague county - 10/22/14 01:46 AM

Our bucks have started showing back up along with a new 10 point decent buck.

Re: Montague county - 10/22/14 11:20 AM

I'm seeing a big 10 with double drop tines on 3 different cams. Never seen him before. Actually, in 25+ years of owning the place, I've never seen a double drop tine on cams. Of course, all pics are at night and I seriously doubt that he will show up during the day.
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: Montague county - 10/22/14 01:45 PM

I filled feeders the weekend before last. All 6 were hit that afternoon and evening. It really surprised me. Some were pretty impressive bucks. But, I didn't get that many doe pics.

I'm not real sure what's going on yet. Due to a pretty good acorn crop, hunting might be better later in the season. Or, the acorns might make hunting suck.

I'm just South of Bowie off Fruitland Road.

Not to far from me. Im off 1125 just on the west side of Amon Carter. We have been seeing alot of deer and young bucks. Only one mature buck on cam and he's nocturnal 80% of the time.

Re: Montague county - 10/24/14 03:44 AM

I'm seeing a big 10 with double drop tines on 3 different cams. Never seen him before. Actually, in 25+ years of owning the place, I've never seen a double drop tine on cams. Of course, all pics are at night and I seriously doubt that he will show up during the day.

Was wondering where he went!! Off Dixie school?

Re: Montague county - 10/24/14 11:25 AM

Off Picket Run.

Re: Montague county - 10/27/14 10:38 AM

Checked cams yesterday. Almost nothing coming to feeders and even that is mostly nocturnal when it does occur. The acorns are everywhere and corn is growing under the feeders. One night pic of the big double drop tine.

It will be a disappointing opener and most of November.

However, my wheat is looking good and I'm praying for rain. Turnips and radishes are up and OK in the shady spots. They germinated and died in the full sun areas.

Re: Montague county - 10/29/14 01:36 AM

Havent checked cams in a couple weeks. I am a little past the Indian Bridge. Where how far west of Capps Corner are you Dave?

Re: Montague county - 10/29/14 02:30 AM

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Montague county - 10/29/14 07:58 AM

Nice buck!!!

Re: Montague county - 10/29/14 10:27 AM

I'm off Picket Run between 287 and the Amon Carter Lake Road. When you're going North on 287, there is an electrical transmission line just before you hit Wagonseller Road. If you look to the left up the transmission line you will see a tower blind on a hill about a mile in. That's my rock pile. The whole place is a rocky hill with lots of sand and gravel.

Re: Montague county - 10/29/14 12:25 PM

I've seen that a couple times. Have a customer on wagonseller.

Re: Montague county - 10/29/14 02:16 PM

This buck just showed up last week, I've not had him on camera last year or this summer. I was a bit surprised when I checked the cameras this weekend. Age? 5 1/2 - 6 1/2? He's definitely on my list this year. What do you think he'll score?

Also noticing the bachelors groups are breaking up now. Not much showing up during the day in terms of the bucks. Hopefully they'll start chasing in the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone this weekend and stay safe.

Re: Montague county - 10/30/14 12:05 AM

I'm not very good at scoring or aging but I'll throw out some numbers just to be corrected and learn from the pros on here. I'm gonna say 4.5 + or - 1 year. Score I'm gonna say mid 130s. Hope I'm close. But probably not.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Montague county - 10/30/14 02:39 AM

He will go in the 130s and mature, nice deer!
Posted By: Vapor Trail

Re: Montague county - 10/30/14 03:47 AM

Very nice deer!! Always great to see some bucks reaching there potential!!
Were lucky to have one reach 3 1/2.....

Re: Montague county - 10/30/14 12:23 PM

Ugh, place I hunt just had the last cut of hay last week and now have 16 cows in the 35-40 acre pasture I hunt for the next month. No deer since they were let in the pasture last Sunday cry

Re: Montague county - 10/30/14 02:31 PM

Cows were the bane of my existence a few years ago on a different lease. The cows would break-through my hog panels to get to the corn in the feeders. I ended having to replace four feeders that year. But in terms of effecting the deer showing up, that wasn't a problem. Once the deer got used to the cows the deer eventually came back in. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating.

Re: Montague county - 10/30/14 06:18 PM

I haven't had a problem with the cows breaking through the panels...knock on wood...just the timing sucks. BUT this is my better half's parents property, they are awesome and I don't have to pay to hunt.

Good luck to all of the Montague County hunters this weekend and post any pics if you get one.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/14 01:59 AM

So how did it go for everyone?

Re: Montague county - 11/06/14 02:14 AM

None at the feeders all weekend. Won't be there this weekend due to going on a mule deer hunt but will be out there next weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/14 01:30 PM

I saw 1 spike all weekend. He walked right past my feeder pen and didn't give a though to eating my corn and protein. I had 4-5 doe an 8, 9 and 2 10 points that would show up regularly up until 2 weeks ago when the acorns started to fall. I'm hoping all of the rain help sour them and I see something this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/14 03:30 PM

Saw about dozen doe over the weekend. A few were at the feeders, but most were grazing. Hoosier T, I have same experience on my place. I have 2 10pts and 11 pt that were regular visitors up until two weeks ago and then poof - gone! The bucks I did see were a few spikes and small 6. The spike was chasing the does hard, the 6 pt just cruised past the feeder and kept going. Decided to hunt the woods on Sun evening and rattled. Saw 2 doe. I had a deer come racing in after I rattled a bit, but I couldn't tell what it was. It stopped about 30 yards from me and too much cover for me to make out the top half of the deer. Based on the belly it looked young, so assuming a small buck to check out the fight. Too much acorn and forage on the ground right now, I have corn piling up under every feeder.

Over by Nocona Hills estates, the guard told me he hit a trophy 10 pt middle of last week. I sure hope it wasn't one of the ones that was showing up my camera. I'll be going out tomorrow afternoon, hopefully, I hope it will be a better weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/14 06:44 PM

Good luck Las Colinas Hunter. Yeah, they have broke up the bachelor groups and should be starting to Rut next weekend, give or take.
Posted By: Cull-1

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 03:07 AM

Bringing it TTT...headed to Bowie this weekend to check out cameras and food plots.
Has anyone seen any serious rutting activity; and mature bucks around lately.
Hoping for some snow!! deer2

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 05:16 AM

Been seeing good numbers, but most are eating acorns or getting pestered by the younger bucks. Even had one young buck chasing another off. Definitely good acorn crop keeping them busy. I usually see 10-20 a sitting this time of year. Only seeing 3-10. Only seen one buck i would shoot of about ten different bucks. Others were young or barely legal.

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 02:10 PM

I went last weekend and on Sunday my heart sank. Got in the stand early with my son and about 6:10 am it was a parade of semi and company pickups barreling down the dirt road that runs the length of the property I hunt until about 6:50. Counted a total of 12 semi and 14 trucks...found out they started drilling just a couple miles NE of us and we are right in their travel pattern.

Mind you, where I hunt is mostly pasture for Angus and is basically a pass through property for dear coming from the West and Southeast. I figure no way deer are going to come from the Southeast with all of that traffic. So I am dealing with that and the abundance of acorns...ugh!

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. We didn't have any acorns to deal with luckily
and we have had a few nice ones come out to corn late in the evening.
We also have drillers real close to and us were hoping that will push
them in not out!! We'll keep you posted. aim

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 07:48 PM

I've been out every evening since middle of last week. The deer are on full rut. Lots of activity all day. Big 8 I was after was killed tue night chasing. Saw the 10 I was after runnjng around mid day yesterday two miles from my feeder and where Im pretty sure lives. It's ON!

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 07:53 PM

The acorns are irrelevant...the bucks are hitting any source they are passing through while chasing. Including feeders

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 10:18 PM

Congrats on a nice buck. Glad to hear they're moving where you're at, last week was tough hunting for me near Nocona.

Looking forward to this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 10:26 PM

Have a spot west of Nocona and thick spot west of saint jo.

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 10:50 PM

I'm on the east side of Lake Nocona, I have to access the Nocona Hills neighborhood to get to my lease. Oddest thing ever for me to have to check in with a guard each time I come and go. At least I know my stuff is pretty safe out there.

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 11:26 PM

Congrats on the great looking buck Yildiz! Also good to hear on the acorns. I'm pulling the son out of school an hour early tomorrow to get in the stand by 3:30.

Re: Montague county - 11/13/14 11:44 PM

Nice deer Yildiz. They are still ignoring feeders on my place. Last Saturday I saw a doe step out of high grass as the feeder went off. She glanced at it as she walked by.

Of course, the huge flock of crows that have migrated in aren't ignoring it. I hope the cold front moved them South.

Re: Montague county - 11/14/14 02:50 PM

Heading out in a few hours... plz plz let the bucks be roaming this weekend. Otherwise my wife will be even more ticked that I'm off hunting over our anniversary weekend. I did ask her if she wanted to go, I think the cold and possible freezing rain is keeping her in the city.

Re: Montague county - 11/14/14 03:15 PM

Good Luck LCH!

Re: Montague county - 11/14/14 03:22 PM

Thanks!

Re: Montague county - 11/14/14 04:05 PM

Headed out this evening. I'll be just west of Bowie. The acorns have put a damper on my hunts so far but they should be rutting now. Going to be a long day at work!

Re: Montague county - 11/14/14 04:08 PM

Long day is right, I've already got my camo on. I'm wondering if any of my colleagues or manager suspect I'll be heading out early today?

Re: Montague county - 11/14/14 04:48 PM

I'm itching too. Sat last night and only saw turkeys. Had some buddies sit this am saw some doe and a couple young bucks. I think thr big bucks are moving 11-2

Re: Montague county - 11/14/14 05:11 PM

that's what my deer hunting app says as well, peak time today 11 - 2. I'll miss that time today but good luck to you.

Re: Montague county - 11/15/14 03:59 PM

Ok, so went out yesterday and saw absolutely nothing again. So far I have seen a young doe and a spike and that's been it. Nothing has been at my feeders for the past month and no pass through traffic. I'm just scratching my head now...is it the acorns, the traffic from all the trucks going to and from the drilling site? I just don't know.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Montague county - 11/16/14 12:02 AM

Just got back from our lease (between Stoneburg and Ringgold on Buzzardwing Creek). Saw a couple of does on Friday evening but they were passing through and not interested in the feeder. Saturday morning I saw one 4 point buck all morning. He was the largest four point I have ever seen. Not legal but would have made an excellent meat deer. He was not in rut but neck beginning to swell. Tarsal glands not swollen and weeping. He did not respond to rattling or grunts. He just wanted to eat. He hung around the feeder for about 15 min. Went down to the creek to see why there was not much activity. Acorns everywhere and green grass was plentiful all along the creek. Front started to come in about 9:30 AM with wind kicking up and starting to shift around. Nothing came in after wind came up. Have had a lot of night activity at the feeder. Game camera showing deer coming to feeder after dark and before dawn. None appear to be in rut. Bucks still running together. It looks like we are a couple weeks away from rut. And that's how the stomach turns in my neck of Montague Co.

Re: Montague county - 11/16/14 03:00 AM

Forgot to mention that I stopped in at the Long Horn Cafe in Bowie for breakfast on my way out. Talked with a bunch of hunters as they came in and all reported similar experiences with deer movement, rut, etc.. They were mainly hunting within a 20 mile radius of where I hunt.

Re: Montague county - 11/17/14 02:06 PM

Deer are still ignoring feeders at my place just South of Bowie. The previous weekend I saw a huge buck at about 400 yards. That was the 3rd time I've seen him but couldn't get a shot. So, Sunday morning I went back in the woods where he was traveling. He didn't show at the times I had seen him. I stayed about an hour or so getting cold and wet in the mist and light rain. Then I realized that I had a nice dry blind about 400 yards away. I went there and settled in. About 15 minutes later my 16 year old grandson joined me. We saw nothing and heard no rifle shots. Somewhere a duck hunter got in some shots but it was a cold, wet weekend for us. I noticed that most of the acorns are down.

In a couple of weeks I think things will start improving.

Re: Montague county - 11/17/14 03:14 PM

We're in our blind west of Bowie and have seen two small bucks that seem to be trailing..the second one took a few bites and was back on the trail. We saw a large 10 pt right at shooting light yesterday with his nose to the ground and 2 bucks running hard after a doe. We have NO ACORNS here. Good luck stay warm. slinger

Re: Montague county - 11/17/14 05:00 PM

Someone that lives near Nocona and an avid hunter said he thought the peak of the rut was last week. I'm a bit skeptical. I figured most of the activity I'm seeing is pre-rut (young bucks chasing and following) and that it should be really heating up this week and in to next? Thoughts?

Re: Montague county - 11/17/14 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter
Someone that lives near Nocona and an avid hunter said he thought the peak of the rut was last week. I'm a bit skeptical. I figured most of the activity I'm seeing is pre-rut (young bucks chasing and following) and that it should be really heating up this week and in to next? Thoughts?
I agree. I have seen no evidence of rut taking place. I am not even seeing much pre-rut activity.

Re: Montague county - 11/17/14 07:49 PM

I too thought the peak rut was last week. Deer were moving like crazy and chasing....but now I'm not sure because everything just stopped...nada, nothing all weekend. Very odd

We did have a very warm October....when the front hit early last week from mon-thur they were moving and chasing like crazy. The good buck shot on our place was chasing. He was shot at and missed then came back 30 min later.

Re: Montague county - 11/17/14 08:24 PM

I hope that's the case. I'll be hunting hard this weekend and a bit next weekend. Good luck to everyone.
Posted By: MudEngineer

Re: Montague county - 11/18/14 10:26 AM

We hunt west of Nocona and have no acorns. I've seen really young Bucks chasing does but no big ones. Yesterday had a good, legal 9 pt at my feeder and does in the wheat field not 100 Yds away and he didn't seem interested in them at all but he did make a scrape in the field before he left the area. I do not believe the rut has peaked or is over. I'm still going every day because from what I'm seeing the next week should be excellent. We have 4 or 5 big bucks on camera still hitting the protein feeders. Good luck everyone.
Posted By: JoeA

Re: Montague county - 11/18/14 04:43 PM

We hunt close to Capps Corner. Hunted 11/15-16 and saw one good buck chasing a doe. The other bucks we saw had their head down cruising around but not chasing does. Seems like the rut is in full gear. Deer are still walking right past the feeders with the exception of young does.

Re: Montague county - 11/23/14 03:34 PM

Well, no deer, just shot a coyote this morning. She made the mistake of walking past my stand this morning. Interesting though, I pulled my SD card and doe started showing back up at my feeder on 11/18 after completely disappearing for a month.

Re: Montague county - 11/30/14 10:28 PM

Four of us spent 2.5 days hunting without even seeing a deer. We only hunt every other weekend so aren't pressuring them. Only one Game Cam at a feeder out of 6 shows any activity.

The acorns are pretty well piled up with the recent rains. They certainly haven't rotted or soured. More are still on the trees. They aren't hitting wheat, turnips or radishes.

Only one shot heard in all that time.

This could easily turn out to be a really lousy year. So far, it is wasted.
Posted By: Hunter Lee

Re: Montague county - 12/01/14 06:27 PM

Dave where is Montague County are you? Our activity has been about the same as yours. For this first time we have had up to 6 days without a deer at the feeder. Yotes are thick though. I killed one the other morning. Might end up hunting them the rest of the season...

Re: Montague county - 12/01/14 06:29 PM

Been seeing quite a few deer every sit. Big boys are being spotted but not stepping out or too far away. Watched a big one Friday night harass some doe for the first time. We have 8 feeders and all have deer at them daily. I hand throw corn and it is gone within 24 hours no matter how much I put out.

Re: Montague county - 12/01/14 06:31 PM

Duckman what part of Montague are you in?

Re: Montague county - 12/01/14 06:32 PM

SW of Nocona.

Re: Montague county - 12/01/14 11:07 PM

Hunter Lee, I'm about 5 miles South of Bowie.

This happened about 4 years ago when we also had a huge acorn crop. No deer seen, no shots heard, very few pics at feeders, only one coyote seen and rarely hear them, not a whole lot of tracks. The deer just don't seem to move. And, pretty short on hogs. They seem to have mostly left. At least I will have a healthy deer population going through the Winter.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 01:31 AM

I haven't been to the lease in a couple weeks. In between Saint Jo and Nocona lake on the river. I'm hoping we have good activity like you Duckman. Good luck.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 01:40 AM

Has anyone had any luck rattling this year? Or even tried it?

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 03:35 AM

I rattled in a spike and a legal 8 point so far. Honestly haven't had much luck ever there rattling but it doesn't hurt to try.

Our place has more hogs than ever. We have taken 5 so far and someone sees them every hunt. I have a pic last week of over 30 sunning themselves under a feeder at 12:30 pm. Hilarious to see mom with 8 little ones sucking milk under the feeder.

We have had 2 bucks taken and they were at the same blind that I picked a new spot for. I should have locked the door. grin

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 03:42 AM

I can come put a lock on that stand for you? Lol we killed 4 200+ lbs bores in 3 weeks on our place. Haven't rattled up there yet. Don't know if it'll work. But will give it a try anyway. At this point, not trying is going to do more harm than trying. Thanks.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 01:46 PM

We have pigs tearing up the cow pasture as well. But the smart little bastards come in between 8:30pm and 12:30pm at night. We have 2 big black mature pigs and all of their piglets that show up every 2-3 days. After deer season I'm going to mount a red light in the pasture, dump some corn, sit in the stand and make some bacon.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 02:30 PM

After being defeated and rutt past by right in front of me I gave the lease a break all through Thankgiving week. Went yesterday after work to pull cards and finally getting lots of activity like back in sept. They are all back to eating corn at my place. Lots of deer, some new younger bucks, turkey and couple big groups of hogs. The ten I'm after even showed up three different times in same spot the past week banana

I do have one feeder that's in the "open" somewhat and is a rifle spot there want much there. The rest of the spots where I had most action are thick bow spots just a FYI. You can start to see a lot more areas while hunting the leaves falling

Sat in tree until dark and had this pencil head show. GL guys four more weeks

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 09:32 PM

I've finally had some deer hitting the feeders this past week as well. Actually saw bucks moving and still chasing, just wasn't able to get sights on them. Weather wasn't cooperating on Saturday. Will be back out there again on Saturday. Good luck. This year has been pretty tough. I think my wife is getting as frustrated as I am. She knows once I get "the deer" then I'm pretty much done. I think I've been away from home pretty much every weekend since Oct.

I had my best chance at the big 12 I've had my eye this past Friday, but I let my BIL sit in that stand. He saw the buck, plus a few other shooters and he locked up in the situation. He got fixated on watching the deer through his bino's and didn't pick up his rifle. He thought they would stop and give him a chance to get the gun up. But they kept on moving. Interesting note is that the big 9 he saw was chasing a doe. I also saw the big 12 that same evening chasing a doe. But it was right after sun down.

Hopefully they will still be moving this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 09:59 PM

In the stand for evening hunt. Of course they are working on a pump 100 yards from my bow spot! Had to be today when it's cold??? I corned the road and got in rifle blind on other side. Not too happy

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 10:23 PM

Good luck. Hope you see the big one.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/14 10:57 PM

Keep us updated.

Re: Montague county - 12/17/14 09:13 PM

Ttt

Re: Montague county - 12/18/14 01:22 AM

Going up this weekend. Hoping to at least see some good deer.

Re: Montague county - 12/19/14 12:56 PM

Heading up this weekend. We haven't hunted for the last three weeks. Hoping the acorns are sour and the cold weather has the deer on the move. Good luck to all!

Re: Montague county - 12/19/14 01:57 PM

Joe, I hunted last weekend with 3 other people on my place South of Bowie. I saw a deer after a month of nothing. The others didn't. The acorns are still viable with some still on the trees.

Re: Montague county - 12/19/14 02:39 PM

Dave, The good news is I took a buck in early November. I was able to rattle him in before the rut started. Now just focused on the kids getting either a doe or a buck.
Posted By: spro

Re: Montague county - 12/19/14 04:16 PM

Good luck guys. I'm in Clay county just west of yall and having the same dry spell. Kinda glad to hear its not just that my place STINKS! Anyone in the area know of a lease in the area available next year please let me know. Desperately looking for an upgrade. After this year an acorn tree on the property is a huge plus! laugh

Re: Montague county - 01/05/15 03:57 PM

We are still not seeing deer movement. The deer seem to have enough food to avoid the feeders. Deer should be healthy for next season.
Posted By: Hog Heaven Ranch

Re: Montague county - 01/06/15 08:05 PM

I maybe saw one or two deer during daylight hours. They would hit the feeders at night and stay all night. Not sure if its just where i am at or if its the same for others in the area.

Re: Montague county - 01/08/15 05:47 AM

I saw deer most hunts there. A few hunts nothing though. Past weekend saw nothing Sat evening but had 3 doe and 3 bucks come in the next morning from 7:45 to 8:45. One was a legal 3.5 year old but I already took my buck the week before. Depends on the area, cover, and pressure. I had a lease up the road years ago and saw 12 deer all season with 6 being in one hunt. Where I hunt now, I will see up to 12 deer in a hunt. Location, location, location up here. My buddies lease up the road they took several 150+ this year.

Biggest deer we got on camera was 12/8. Made an appearance at two feeders and that was it. One during daylight. Never to be seen again.

Re: Montague county - 01/08/15 11:28 AM

Came up empty this year; again.

Re: Montague county - 09/23/15 11:21 PM

Bump

Seeing lots of hogs abs bucks...not many does

Re: Montague county - 09/23/15 11:24 PM

Reading this makes me realize how hard last year was. Acorns are already falling at our place. Prob 6 weeks before last year

Re: Montague county - 09/24/15 11:15 AM

The trees start eliminating them when it gets too dry. At least there are nowhere near as many as last year.

Re: Montague county - 09/25/15 08:15 PM

Big 0 for me last year also. Did kill 12 coyotes and so far I think it has helped. I have had pictures of fawns this summer. Very few pics of fawns in previous years. Not much for Acorns at my place, but the early rains have the rage weed and sunflowers 14' tall and a heaven for pigs.

Re: Montague county - 09/28/15 07:09 PM

Re: Montague county - 09/30/15 09:54 AM

WOW, looks like the rains helped and the genetics certainly didn't hurt.

Re: Montague county - 10/06/15 05:35 PM

All summer long and into Sept I have a nice pic of a 10 pt showing up consistently. It's be same one I've seen for nearly 3 three years. I have him aged at between 5-6 years old. Then all of the sudden rise he's nowhere to be seen over the past 3 weeks! Do you think he found another ranging area? I did see a new mature 8 showing up the past two weeks. Thoughts?

Re: Montague county - 10/06/15 08:57 PM

Acorns are dropping. Been seeing less bucks the last few weeks also.

Re: Montague county - 10/07/15 03:44 AM

He moved to our lease. We are up there and they are extremely hard to pattern. We run two feeders year round and get hardly a single deer on cam except Nov to Feb. We go weeks and months without seeing some of the bucks. They just found something else to eat like acorns. I took a buck after Christmas last year that was all over the place on cam but not a single person saw him on hoof. We have some that show up once a month to a feeder. It makes it exciting and frustrating though.

We had a nice 8 on cam in Feb a few times and then he shows up one day in July as a nice 11 point in velvet and that is all we have of him on cam. He will be back but who knows when.

Re: Montague county - 10/07/15 11:32 AM

I have the same problem. Have a huge 10 pt that shows up with other bucks the 2nd week in August every year. This year he was a few weeks late. This year I have him on camera during morning hours for the first time ever after putting out a new timed feeder. Haven't been to lease in almost two weeks, do don't know if he (they) are gone now. as is usually the case by the fist of October.
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Montague county - 10/07/15 04:10 PM

Acorns are starting to drop at my place as well. I'm between forestburg and montague. Tons of hogs as always and one good deer on camera. Probably going to be another hard year with the ample water and acorns. I'll try to upload the buck I have on camera shortly

Re: Montague county - 10/07/15 04:12 PM

Re: Montague county - 10/07/15 04:18 PM

Nice. We shoot the hogs and then by Thanksgiving they get the picture and leave. I try to only hunt the penned feeders during that time until they are gone.

Re: Montague county - 10/07/15 04:24 PM

Yeah we just had piles of corn under our feeders, so we just left them empty after they were empty. I never get any good deer on camera until the end of October usually.

Re: Montague county - 10/19/15 12:25 PM

What's everybody seeing, going for the first time this year on Thursday. Looks like a chance of rain and cooler temps. Acorns have started to fall and that's all but killed the deer movement.

Re: Montague county - 10/28/15 01:23 PM

Anybody make it out this past weekend, I was going to go but ended up not being able to make it. Pops sent me a bunch of pics of the trail cam with 7 new bucks showing up unfortunately most are at night.

This is between forestburg and montague

Re: Montague county - 10/29/15 01:23 AM

I think the acorn drop has killed most of the activity right now. But, they won't last long.

Re: Montague county - 10/29/15 01:22 PM

Yeah ours have dropped too, I'm hoping all the rain kills our off pretty fast. Not near as many pigs this year, maybe because of all the available water which I'm thankful for.
Posted By: Alim

Re: Montague county - 10/29/15 01:36 PM

I'm sitting in my tree right now just off of FM1630. 2 does before dawn and a coyote. Haven't seen a buck since I killed one 2 weeks ago. Had seen 8 different bucks up till then. 2 really nice ones.

Re: Montague county - 10/29/15 01:37 PM

Heading up for youth weekend. We have been feeding all year and seeing a lot of bucks. Nothing major but several 8 pointers and everything looks healthy.

Re: Montague county - 10/29/15 04:26 PM

Yeah I have 8 or 9 different bucks on camera, all are just your typical montague bucks. Basket rack 8 pts or spikes.

My neighbor is the major problem, 1200 acres 25 hunters mad

Re: Montague county - 11/01/15 12:53 AM

Went today with kids. Didn't see a lot of movement. Deer are hitting the feeders at night only. Still seeing a good amount of activity. Only hunted the morning but my guess is they were moving tonight after storm and cold front.

Re: Montague county - 11/01/15 10:45 AM

Checked feeders and food plots Oct. 28th. Saw some new rubs and several new scrapes around the protein feeders. Have pics of an older 9 point and a younger 8 pt. Also have 1 pic of a 150-155 9 point, ( I'm guessing)
We also have neighbors on a lease next to us that are shooting everything that moves. Probably 8 or 10 of them on the lease and they bring their whole damn families to hunt. I feed protein 6 months out of the year at 2 different free choice feeders and it does make a difference but when these guys are whacking everything that moves it gets very frustrating. I saw several 2 1/2 year old bucks that no way make the AR'S and should have walked, in the back of their pickups. Kinda talked to them about it and they always say they're going to get with the program next year but never do. I don't like AR'S, we have quite a few bucks that need to be culled that no way make the AR'S but we follow the law. Quit shooting the little 8's and 10's!!!

Re: Montague county - 11/01/15 05:20 PM

Well pops said we got 5 inches of rain at the ranch so I'm hoping it kills the acorns off pretty soon.
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Montague county - 11/01/15 05:46 PM

I was pig hunting last night and saw 2 nice bucks fight for over 5 mins....in Montague

Re: Montague county - 11/02/15 02:03 AM

I've hunted my ranch in Montague for almost 20 years and have yet to see two bucks fight. What part of Montague Trulifetaxidermy?

Re: Montague county - 11/02/15 12:03 PM

I'm the same; never seen a fight.

Re: Montague county - 11/02/15 01:21 PM

I know they do fight because I get broken up bucks every year and I've had pictures on my game cam of them sparring. It's always been at night though. Our buck to doe ratio is horrible and for that reason I think that's why rattling never works at my place. Grunt calls and doe bleats work pretty good. A decoy has been pretty good in years past as well

Re: Montague county - 11/02/15 02:33 PM

I have seen one fight in my years of hunting there. Not big deer but they were clicking horns and pushing each other around. It wasn't by a feeder either. Another guy saw a real good fight. The never never came out in the open but it was loud and could see their bodies through the brush going back and forth.

Re: Montague county - 11/02/15 09:33 PM

Haven't seen a fight in person... I have a few pics at night where two young bucks are sparring.

Question for this group. Not sure this is common up in Montague. I've only hunted this area for 3 yrs now. I have a pic of a 6 pt buck, he's pretty wide - probably close to 18" but doesn't have brow tines. Just little nubs. I saw him the past 2 years so I'm guessing he's probably 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 years old. Should I cull him if I see him or do you think he'll eventually grow those brows. I'm thinking he takes a dirt nap this year?
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Montague county - 11/02/15 10:55 PM

This fight I saw was SW about 6 miles or so at about 3am.

Re: Montague county - 11/02/15 11:57 PM

I'd be calling the game warden.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 05:43 AM

Already did.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 06:49 AM

Haven't seen a fight in person... I have a few pics at night where two young bucks are sparring.

Question for this group. Not sure this is common up in Montague. I've only hunted this area for 3 yrs now. I have a pic of a 6 pt buck, he's pretty wide - probably close to 18" but doesn't have brow tines. Just little nubs. I saw him the past 2 years so I'm guessing he's probably 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 years old. Should I cull him if I see him or do you think he'll eventually grow those brows. I'm thinking he takes a dirt nap this year?

Doubt he will. Shoot him. We had a guy take a 6 pt that GW at Fischers thought teeth looked over 6 years. Big bodied deer. Haven't seen one since without brows though so it is rare.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 01:02 PM

Loscolinashunter you might be close to where I hunt. I have three or four six points roaming my area. One of them is 6 years plus and is about 18in. Wide with barely any brows. I know at least three of his off spring are in the Area because they have almost identical horns as their daddy.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 01:03 PM

Oh yeah and I have a horrible 3pt problem too!

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 04:25 PM

I'm near Lake Nocona on the east side. And yes the one I will probably take is 4 y/o but I've seen a few younger bucks with no brows. He's been busy. Need to start cleaning this area up, poor genetics. I need to upload a pics of a yearling that has some messed up horns. One side is straight up and normal, the other side is pointing down, like its sagging. Thinking he may have injured himself earlier this year. But man he looks weird.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 04:31 PM

We have a trident. Tall spike on one side and a trident looking horn on the other. He is young though so maybe a kid can take him.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 05:52 PM

Well I'm in between montague and forestburg so that rules out that possibility. Must be a county wide thing.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/15 10:22 PM

I'm in tonight. They starting to move a little better. Would love to get the one in after with a bow. Have a small buck making scrapes on a cam last couple days

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 02:40 AM

Hunted this evening off of FM 1630. Saw a couple of does. When it got too dark to see my sights, I got down to walk to my truck. I stopped to take a leak, and saw movement off to the side. A real nice 8 point came walking out not 30 yards away. He was directly downwind and didn't care. He had his mouth open like he'd been working hard. He almost had it all. Great height, really good mass, great symmetry, his mainbeams almost touched in the middle. But, not wide enough. Even so, he would have been my best ever. I hope he grows that one extra inch of width next year. While I was watching him, with my bow in one hand and my special purpose in the other, I see something white STREAKING across the ground. A little rat terrier flew by and chased the buck back to the creek. Not a house within a mile, so I don't know whose dog, but if I'd had a gun, I'd have killed it.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 03:02 AM

Funny about the terrier. So are you guys seeing rut activity? Or prerut?

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 03:28 AM

I'm no expert, but last week I saw a buck trotting across a field towards 2 does, and this buck tonight sure looked winded, and didn't give a dang about me peeing 30 yards upwind of him. I'd say that counts as rut activity.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 04:14 AM

Crazy terrier hahaha!

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 04:17 AM

I'm not surprised at all if the rut is going right now. Year after year at my place usually the last week of October through the first week of November is been good Rutting activity even if it's hot

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 05:58 AM

We see rutting all the way through November. Last year they were still rutting into December as we had our biggest buck caught on cam at two feeders Dec 8 never to be seen again. And that was the only day he was caught on cam all season. Seems each year that happens between Thanksgiving and first week in Dec. I was lucky and took our most mature buck a few days after Christmas. He was with another good one and saw a smaller buck at the feeder and ran to him while his buddy hung back. Seem lockdown happens right before Thanksgiving each year.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 12:55 PM

I agree duckman, two years ago early December we had a big ten roll through for a few days when a good cold front came through. I saw him first light grunting all out around our pond dam. Didn't shot him because the wifey said she wanted a Crack at him.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 02:51 PM

So did the wifey get him? Last year it seemed the rut was pretty early, starting a week or two prior to Thanksgiving and rolling through turkey day. I'm hoping to see a few bucks in day light this year. I have a few that are at or around the feeders at dawn and dusk, they seem to be checking out the Does.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 06:26 PM

No of course not, wifey didn't make it down to the ranch with me until weeks later and he was bye bye!

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 06:27 PM

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 06:28 PM

Hope he's still alive, he'd probably be 6 or 7 now!

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 06:30 PM

Had pictures of this guy from a two year old and this pic he's a 4 year old. I really wanted to tag this guy at 5 or 6

Re: Montague county - 11/05/15 06:30 PM

Although he right on the border of AR!

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 03:07 AM

That looks EXACTLY like the buck I saw last night. That the terrier chased. How close are you to the Muenster Arch on FM 1630?

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 03:53 AM

The biggest deer we saw last year was on Thanksgiving day. He was walking parallel to the road, middle of the day.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 12:59 PM

I'm north of Forestburg and this buck would be a six yr old giant if still alive

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 01:02 PM

Biggest deer I saw last year was November 14th during the middle of the day on the side of the road running up and down the road parallel. Ten point that was at least a 150's class deer. He got scared out of the woods next to a pump jack station after a truck pulled in. Biggest deer I've seen in the area in 5 years at least!

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 02:29 PM

I sure do hope I see the biggest deer this weekend!

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 03:40 PM

Gonna be a good weekend !!!!

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 07:21 PM

Good luck Glass.. Hope you get a bigun!!

Re: Montague county - 11/06/15 07:33 PM

Good luck to all my Montague hunters, I'm waiting until next Tuesday to go hunting. I'll be at the ranch for 5 days, so hopefully I can get it done.

Re: Montague county - 11/08/15 06:27 AM

Hunted all day in NW Montague Co. It was slow this morning, better in the afternoon. 4 of us saw 2 small bucks and probably 10 does. None of the bucks we saw were chasing does. They all came to food plots, some to the feeders. Hocks on the bucks were black but no chasing. Should get good any time.

Re: Montague county - 11/08/15 02:08 PM

Just had two does go flying by in front of with a small buck on them hard

Re: Montague county - 11/08/15 04:11 PM

Man I'm getting pumped up, can't wait to be in the stand Tuesday

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 11:55 AM

Worst opening weekend in my life. Saw 1 deer about 400 yds away that walked through a small clearing. A guy hunting with me saw nothing. Game cams(5) showed that they weren't messing much with feeders.

Couldn't make it Saturday morning. The interesting thing is that that I heard NO shots Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

My place is just south of Bowie off of Picket Run Road.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 12:46 PM

Yeah I think feeders are about to be shut off until middle of December for me too many acorns.

I'm headed out today and will be at the ranch until Friday night.

Any other guy see any rut activity?

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 12:55 PM

I don't are how the deer are moving, I'm just gonna be happy to get in the woods!

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 01:28 PM

Very slow weekend for us. Only saw a few deer between our group. I thought the cod weather would have them moving more. Still a lot of acorns on the trees.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 02:39 PM

Seen a small nice 8 come out of woods before dark following does last night..
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 02:45 PM

Seen lots of deer north of St jo. Lots of bucks chasing does. All the bucks were small. Biggest buck I seen all wknd was standing on the side of a county road when I was headed home.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 03:03 PM

Hunting in south Montague. Things are definitely heating up. Best set of cam pics I have seen all year. Hunted this weekend and son saw buck chasing a doe around for 15 min. Got a number of pics of these two locking up.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 03:53 PM

Spro, that's what I was seeing a couple of weeks ago. Not much on cams but the cams are on feeders.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/15 11:00 PM

We are North of St. Jo and didn't see many deer at all.

Re: Montague county - 11/10/15 02:05 AM

Well just got to the ranch, I'll give you guys an update tomorrow around lunch.

report will be for north of Forestburg and south of Montague

Re: Montague county - 11/10/15 05:46 AM

Hunted last weekend NW Montague Co. and saw 3 bucks, no shooters. All the deer were coming to the food plots. Did things a little different this year. Usually plant about 15 acres of wheat. This year planted 4 smaller food plots with mainly oats and a little wheat plus clover , turnips and beets and fertilized it all. Deer are also coming to the feeders, lots of does. Yesterday saw 3 does and an 11 point in one of the plots. Not seeing much chasing yet but it's going to be any day now!!

Today hunted Jack Co. And saw 4 does and 1 buck. The buck came in when it was too dark to count points, could tell he was wide.

I'm going to hunt every chance I get for the next 2 weeks!!

Re: Montague county - 11/10/15 06:26 AM

We didn't see too much but the bigger bucks I saw were cruisin. Corn is not much interest unless middle of night. Ones I saw during day just stopped to check things out for a minute and then slowly walked off after one bite. I saw zero doe. Only 3 doe were seen all weekend by 5 hunters. Looking at cam they are rutting and searching but does are hiding out. Dee didn't show up on cams at feeders until past few days. No does on cam at all in Nov so far. It is so green. One guy had cows come by and jump those doe he saw which were bedded down and never saw them until they stood up.

On bright side I caught the one big buck we have one day in July on cam in the corner of the cam three days ago. They are playing hide and seek. Lots of hogs too. I only hunted fenced feeders but other guys saw plenty of hogs at others with just wire. They should have shot them but oh well... Last year I would sometimes see 12 deer a hunt at one time and sometimes just one. Need a freeze or something to get them moving more for food. Our lake was a dry dirt pit last year, now it is 2 acres.

Re: Montague county - 11/10/15 10:17 PM

Saw 4 doe's this morning. Saw a buck chasing but couldn't make him out.

In stand now evening hunt.

Re: Montague county - 11/10/15 10:18 PM

Never see much in the evening's, morning have always been more productive
Posted By: Thenickel05

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 01:03 AM

I hope Im wrong, I've hunted 3 times in the past week and it seems like the rut is over. Haven't seen any does or bucks which is extremely unusual. Either I missed it or its started later this year. Any thoughts? I hunt outside of Sunset.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 01:11 AM

This is pretty predictable information. They are cruising around looking for hot does. The rut should start soon. We have saw a few small bucks roaming this weekend. This weekend they should start getting stupid. If your not seeing them at the feeder get on the ground in the timber. You will see deer moving.

Cross Timbers - Montage is in the north of the cross timers area.

Representing the north-central part of the state, conception dates in the Cross Timbers and Prairies were as early as October 13 and extended to December 17. In the northern portion of the region the average breeding date was November 15. The average breeding date in the southern part was November 17. Biologists recorded an average of 1.7 fetuses per doe and 95 percent of the females had been successfully bred. The majority (90%) of the fawns are born by June 15 in the northern area and by June 20 in the southern area.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 01:36 AM

Good to know. I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out. After talking to some buddies down south, rut has been about week and half earlier.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 04:10 AM

Just now starting.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Thenickel05
Good to know. I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out. After talking to some buddies down south, rut has been about week and half earlier.

How big is your property and how many hunters. If small size and only hunter you might never see signs of rut. 3 out of 5 hunters on my lease saw bucks roaming. We saw 3 does all weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 04:17 AM

Kinda weird, the 10 point has no tail.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 11:46 AM

Good reason to take him out
Posted By: High Country Archer

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: spro
Hunting in south Montague. Things are definitely heating up. Best set of cam pics I have seen all year. Hunted this weekend and son saw buck chasing a doe around for 15 min. Got a number of pics of these two locking up.

Locking Up??????

They look more like they want to be 'Hooking' Up!!!

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 02:04 PM

200 acres. 2 people hunt. I've never not been able to see signs of pre-rut or rut. Every year is different tho

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 02:42 PM

I've seem 4 bucks this morning from young to old. No doe's yet, saw my hitlist buck early and he was about 350 yds away. The rut should be going strong by the weekend

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 02:43 PM

No pigs at all and only one little one cam in a month, pretty unusual up here

Re: Montague county - 11/11/15 02:53 PM

It's firing up - I was out on Sat - Mon. Missed my target buck on Sunday evening, he came out early. Shot a cull buck that same evening - 4-5 y/o 5 pts. 4 on right and 1 on right. Young bucks chasing the does like crazy, young 8 cruising the middle of field just looking. Monday saw a new buck driving back to camp at 10:30 AM, super wide 8 point (I think). Body looked like 2-3 y/o.

Thinking this weekend will be a good weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/15 05:30 AM

I plan to hunt Friday to Sunday evening. If I don't see a doe I figure they were washed away to the Red a River in the floods. We got plenty of hogs and wish our guys would shoot them.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/15 02:43 PM

Pretty slow morning so far, I've seen one young doe and a 3 1/2 8pt come check my decoy out after I grunted a little. All the does seem to be on lock down

Re: Montague county - 11/12/15 09:00 PM

Pretty sure in my area of montague the does are on lock down. I've seen 4 dies and 8 different bucks in 4 days.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/15 09:01 PM

Re: Montague county - 11/12/15 09:25 PM

I'm back in. Saw two does coming in up and moving around

Re: Montague county - 11/14/15 03:59 PM

Been rough past 24. Had some does check out decoys but no bucks. Two does last night and 4 does alone this morning. I have no idea what's going on

Re: Montague county - 11/14/15 09:30 PM

In the stand now. This morning had a 3 yo 8 pt chasing a doe at 8:15. Saw 3 more young bucks, spikes and basket bucks. But no more after 10 am. App says peak feeding time is between 2-4:30 today. But this wind is killing me

Re: Montague county - 11/15/15 12:16 AM

I hunted Tuesday through Thursday. Saw around 8 different bucks mostly young. Hardly saw any doe, pretty sure the big boys are in lock down mode in the thick woods. Only good activity was in the mornings, didn't see hardly anything in the afternoon. Not a single pug all week, very crazy not to see any pigs at my place.

Re: Montague county - 11/15/15 04:26 AM

Hunted this morning and nothing. Went this afternoon and saw 6 bucks and 6 does. No pigs either which is really unusual.

Re: Montague county - 11/15/15 04:33 PM

I wish my afternoon hunts were as active as yours Mud.
Posted By: huntbrown

Re: Montague county - 11/15/15 04:45 PM

My morning was very uneventful pretty windy first hunt this season not seeing anything.just southwest of nocona lake

Re: Montague county - 11/15/15 04:45 PM

Not much moving in Saint Jo. Did see a doe. Guess I'll give them a break and head home

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 11:56 AM

One deer seen by 2 different hunters. Heard no shots in the area South of Bowie.

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 12:55 PM

Back at it this morning after seeing no movement yesterday

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 01:44 PM

I'll be back thanksgiving week

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 02:28 PM

Only one young 8 came to feeders Saturday morning. Corn piling up under feeders. This last weeks cam pics were terrible compared to previous. Hogs are gone as well. My timing sucks.

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 06:11 PM

Saw a real nice buck at 200 yards Fri night on some corn I put out but wouldn't turn sideways to get a good look. He was just outside of ears but tall. Cows found the corn too so he didn't feed any closer than 180 yards and then saw a group of does and left. Had 6 doe at feeder. Saw 8 does next night in groups of 4. Saw another buck, some hogs and another buck and some more doe. They were not hitting feeders at all though.

Buddy was hunting hogs at another feeder Fri night said he watched a 140ish buck for 10 minutes in the woods but would not come out.

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 07:37 PM

On a positive note, our pond that had been completely dried up for over a decade is plum full now. Plus has a ton of bass in it that must have been washed in from someone's place north of us. I hunted under a willow on the edge of the pond one evening and saw tons of 4 to 6 inch bass jumping after flys!!!

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 07:51 PM

No luck this morning wind was just to much for deer on my place

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 08:49 PM

I'm at a loss..... Last weekend I saw 5 different small bucks out cruising around, none of them were tailing a doe. This past Thursday thru Sunday night I saw lots of doe by themselves and no bucks at all. Usually I will see a ton of chasing at my place. Not this year. Nothing on camera and corn is piling up (which is normal) I have 3 groups of 30-40 pigs that frequent my place and i'm starting to wonder if they have them run out.
Sure would like to see a buck chase a doe, regardless of size. I'm south of 82 between Nocona and Saint Jo

Re: Montague county - 11/16/15 11:06 PM

We saw 1 deer but not sure what it was. I have 6 feeders and a big bunch of pigs are showing up every night to eat the corn. I'm going to stop throwing in the afternoon.

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 02:29 AM

Well Sunday was just too windy. Ended up seeing a young 8 cruising. Walked over to another spot and snuck up on a doe and her twins. But sat evening, I saw briefly the biggest 8 point I've seen in years. Just standing at the edge of the woods by a feeder, sniffing the air. He was wide and tall. But never came fully out of the brush. Turned around and walked back in to thick stuff. He definitely got my heart pumping. Hopefully I'll be able to put my wife on him this weekend.
Posted By: OutdoorAggie

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 04:14 AM

My buddy S of Muenster hasn't seen anything but young bucks?

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 05:01 AM

I pulled a card from a cam and this rub was 3 feet from the pen but cam was not aimed there. No bucks on cam. I found another fresh rub about 20 yards away and 3 fresh scraps under one tree. This is very late to see a fresh rub with wood scraps under the tree. This was not there last Sunday.

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 05:16 AM

Could be getting a late start duckman... I've been scratching my head the past few weeks figuring out the rut.

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 05:18 AM

Get the camera on that. He doin work

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Glassangler
I'm at a loss..... Last weekend I saw 5 different small bucks out cruising around, none of them were tailing a doe. This past Thursday thru Sunday night I saw lots of doe by themselves and no bucks at all. Usually I will see a ton of chasing at my place. Not this year. Nothing on camera and corn is piling up (which is normal) I have 3 groups of 30-40 pigs that frequent my place and i'm starting to wonder if they have them run out.
Sure would like to see a buck chase a doe, regardless of size. I'm south of 82 between Nocona and Saint Jo

In the same area and witnessed the exact same thing

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 04:46 PM

I saw the complete opposite of you guys last week, if I saw a doe there was a buck close behind. Granted most the bucks I saw were 3yr olds, but I did see my shooter first light one morning hot on a doe's butt. I think the big boys are held up up in the thick. Especially with the ample groceries they have at there disposal

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 04:46 PM

I do think a severe cold front would be really helpful about now though!

Re: Montague county - 11/17/15 10:09 PM

We saw some activity this past weekend. One buck chasing a doe. Several smaller bucks out roaming but not chasing does. Should be heating up now. New scrape close to feeder with two fresh urine marks.

Re: Montague county - 11/19/15 01:36 AM

So who's headed out this weekend, looks to be the best weather yet. I'll be back next Thursday through Sunday. Taking the wifey to hopefully get her first deer.

Re: Montague county - 11/19/15 01:38 AM

My pops hunted this morning only saw a 4pt and a doe. Checked camera and we have a new pack of pigs visiting a feeder at night only. First pigs we've had on camera in months
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Montague county - 11/19/15 02:51 AM

I'm heading out to Sunset area on Saturday. Hopefully an evening hunt tomorrow. Cold weather should get them moving.

Re: Montague county - 11/19/15 05:04 AM

Went this afternoon expecting it to be great and didn't see a single deer. First time I've been skunked in a while. What's the matter with the deer, don't they know it's the rut and they're suppose to be out running everywhere? Going to Barton Chapel in Jack Co. Tomorrow morning and see what's happening out on the prairie. Definitely going to hunt this weekend, hope the winds not blowing 100 MPH!!

Re: Montague county - 11/19/15 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: MontagueMonsters
So who's headed out this weekend, looks to be the best weather yet. I'll be back next Thursday through Sunday. Taking the wifey to hopefully get her first deer.

I'll be there. Looking forward to the Fri hunt. A little windy Sat morning but maybe they'll run around and go buck crazy.
Posted By: High Country Archer

Re: Montague county - 11/19/15 04:41 PM

I was out yesterday morning for a two-day hunt. Saw three small bucks and two does. Beside the one doe at the feeder for a long time, the deer were not interested in them. Funny thing is those three bucks paid no attention to the doe at the feeder.

Checked cameras and figured I was wasting my time because I am bow hunting for my big buck so I packed it up and headed home. Sunday should be good though.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/15 06:17 AM

Went this afternoon, saw 4 does and they were all acting skittish. Definitely going every day I can!! Need the wind to lay.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/15 01:48 PM

Good luck to everybody this weekend, it should be getting good as long as the wind is crazy!!!

Re: Montague county - 11/21/15 01:45 AM

Wind is going to be high on Saturday so we are going to wait until Sunday. Anyone seeing bucks chasing does? This cold weather should help. Last weekend I still saw a lot of acorns still on the trees.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/15 01:49 AM

Lots of action at night right now, more acorns then all the critters can handle right now

Re: Montague county - 11/21/15 11:17 AM

Heading out this morning. Dang it is windy. Love to wait until tomorrow, but only day I can go this weekend. Good luck out there today. Hope we don't blow away.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/15 07:17 PM

They are running, even in the wind! Saw 2 mature bucks chasing does all over the field. One buck had lost his one side the other was just a beast but he was running way too fast. I didn't think I would see a thing especially after sleeping through alarm and getting to the stand by 7:30. It's game on.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/15 11:42 PM

Man I wish I could hunt tomorrow

Re: Montague county - 11/21/15 11:57 PM

Man I wish I could hunt tomorrow

X2. I saw absolutely nothing moving today. Not even anything on the camera.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/15 01:22 PM

In the stand 27 degrees sun starting to rise haven't seen anything yet should start moving soon hopefully

Re: Montague county - 11/23/15 01:20 AM

Hunted this morning (Sunday), frost everywhere, no wind and didn't see a dang thing except 4 coyotes. Didn't the deer know it was the perfect morning to be out and about?

Re: Montague county - 11/23/15 03:41 AM

Ya I got skunked this morning and saw a doe by herself this evening.she was around for about an hour was hoping a big boy would pop out but never did. She was eating acorns at first then went to the feeder

Re: Montague county - 11/23/15 03:47 AM

Wow I was hoping you guys were gonna be telling me things were going crazy, but it seems it was slow

Re: Montague county - 11/23/15 04:32 AM

Yeah, It was really slow. Took this afternoon off, going tomorrow afternoon. Will let you know how it goes.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/15 02:44 AM

Sucks..... Just about sums it up for my place.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/15 04:37 AM

Saw 3 does and a spike that had half a rack! Unicorn I guess......
Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be better!!!

Re: Montague county - 11/24/15 12:54 PM

I'm starting to think this year will be just like last year. The rut comes and goes before our eyes. With the ample groceries on the ground no need to chase and run around looking for food. The acorn crop for the past two years has been so good that it literally kills the deer movement compared to years past where acorns were in very low numbers from the drought. I guess it's not a horrible thing though, because it's given some of our deer a chance to age and put on good antler growth, compared to years where we didn't have good acorn crops and great rains all year.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/15 02:23 PM

All the green and acorns is keeping them from the feeders. I have no clue what the story is with the Rut.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/15 03:12 PM

Hunter Sunday night and all day Monday. My son saw three does and I didn't see a deer. I heard from several people in Munster that bucks are chasing does. We didn't see the same thing. We drove around a little and did see any deer in the fields.

Re: Montague county - 11/25/15 03:20 AM

Well this was the first year in 3 that I actually witnessed the rut. Big bucks chasing does. Saw a big 11 chasing a doe on Sat morning in the high winds. Took my wife out sat evening saw a lot of activity. I decided to rattle and low and behold a young 8 came in looking for a fight. Funny story - I've been married 15 years and this was the first time my wife actually wanted to try and hunt. We went in to Bowie and grabbed a license and we were in the stand by 3:00. She was pretty hesitant about taking a deer. Especially after we saw a few does and yearlings cruising. She was asking me how could you shoot something to cute, look at em. I said just wait, hopefully we will see a buck and you'll see.

As she was glossing the field, she exclaimed holy f@$! there's a buck!!! Where's the gun!!! Sorry to tell her the buck while was an 8, he was too young. She was visibly shaking. We ended up watching him for awhile and then after he left the field. She turned to me and said, who the heck am I? I can now see why do this. This is fun!!! Hopefully she'll be my new hunting buddy!

Re: Montague county - 11/25/15 03:45 AM

Well this was the first year in 3 that I actually witnessed the rut. Big bucks chasing does. Saw a big 11 chasing a doe on Sat morning in the high winds. Took my wife out sat evening saw a lot of activity. I decided to rattle and low and behold a young 8 came in looking for a fight. Funny story - I've been married 15 years and this was the first time my wife actually wanted to try and hunt. We went in to Bowie and grabbed a license and we were in the stand by 3:00. She was pretty hesitant about taking a deer. Especially after we saw a few does and yearlings cruising. She was asking me how could you shoot something to cute, look at em. I said just wait, hopefully we will see a buck and you'll see.

As she was glossing the field, she exclaimed holy f@$! there's a buck!!! Where's the gun!!! Sorry to tell her the buck while was an 8, he was too young. She was visibly shaking. We ended up watching him for awhile and then after he left the field. She turned to me and said, who the heck am I? I can now see why do this. This is fun!!! Hopefully she'll be my new hunting buddy!

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. It gives me hope that I can get my wife to go hunting with me sometime. banana

Re: Montague county - 11/25/15 01:05 PM

Great story Noamtchance, sounds like she's hooked now. Hopefully the same happens to my girl the next four days, unlikely we will see much with the crappy weather on the way!

Re: Montague county - 11/28/15 09:00 PM

Slow slow slow at my place, but the ducks on the other hand were out of control

Re: Montague county - 11/28/15 10:13 PM

Well maybe next time I go out to my hunting area. I need to bring a shotgun with me for ducks.

Re: Montague county - 11/28/15 10:26 PM

Just an FYI. Montague is a split season county for ducks. The season goes until 11/29 and then stops. Duck season opens back up on 12/12. We didn't make it to the field this weekend due to the rain. Hopefully the rain and cold weather kills of the acorns.

Re: Montague county - 11/29/15 06:01 AM

We got rained out so no one has been out since Monday. On Monday I hadn't seen anything and then at 9:10 a doe come zipping by the blind from behind and down a ridge towards feeder. I knew a buck had to be chasing her and sure enough an 8 was following her. She went into the pen and he stood watch. He tried to get on her but she jumped each time. This went on for an hour with him just staring at her. She bedded down between the blind and feeder and just stood watch. We finally left. Pretty cool though.

Re: Montague county - 11/29/15 11:03 PM

All my target deer have vanished off camera for the last few weeks, except for a new buck that literally had his face right on the camera. This is probably due too the pigs moving back in

Re: Montague county - 12/01/15 04:30 AM

Went hunting this evening, Monday, and saw an 8 pt. that was traveling and 4 does. Not bad but no shooters showing up.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Montague county - 12/01/15 04:49 AM

In clay county I have seen the emergence of several young/illegal bucks and a couple spikes on my cell camera, but my shooters have been missing for a couple weeks longer than a few weeks. They usually vanish around the start of gun season, and that's about the last time I have seen them on camera. But, did see quite a bit of activity on the cameras yesterday and today compared to the weeks prior. We'll see if it
Continues

Re: Montague county - 12/01/15 05:19 AM

I got my buck last year after Christmas. Might be the same way this year. Only shooter I saw all year in person. Out of 6 of us, only a spike has been taken on 1,100 acres so far. I didn't hear a single shot the last weekend I was there. I'll be heading to S. Tex this weekend. Good luck.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/15 12:48 AM

Txduckman, I think December may be better hunting this year with all the moisture hopefully taking care of the acorns it will get the deer moving late season

Re: Montague county - 12/02/15 04:26 AM

Is the rut over? I'm in Sunset

Re: Montague county - 12/02/15 06:27 AM

Usually goes to mid Dec and then bucks will start hanging together by Christmas it seems.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/15 12:51 PM

I'm sure there's plenty of doe's that haven't come into heat judging by the young fawns I've seen with momma still. I'd say the next couple weeks it will be off and on

Re: Montague county - 12/03/15 03:43 AM

Hunted this morning, Wednesday, saw 5 does and a 120" or so 8 pt. he didn't seem interested in the does at first but chased them a little then walked off. Still getting some good bucks on camera at night. Just gotta keep going and be there at the right time! Perseverance!!!!!!

Re: Montague county - 12/13/15 10:45 AM

No posts here in 11 days so things must be slow. I went up yesterday and pulled cards from 6 cams. A couple of good bucks seen but everything pretty spotty. Still quite a few acorns and they aren't doing much to corn. Hogs are coming every night to clean up corn.

I'm going today but looks like rain for the morning.

I'm not all that enthusiastic.

Re: Montague county - 12/14/15 04:34 AM

I saw a lot of doe this weekend. Only 2 bucks and one was a nubbin, other a 6 pt. No bucks on camera at several feeders. The deer hardly ate corn. One of our guys finally took a good buck last weekend, 17 inch inside spread. Our neighbor got our 11 pt that was broken to an 8 last night. Hocks were dripping but so no sign so rut just ended I assume. I am glad to see all the doe so we probably should start shooting a few.

Re: Montague county - 12/14/15 05:23 AM

Went this evening, Sunday , saw 8 does and my boy saw a 4 pt and that was it. Really windy so I was surprised we saw as much as we did.. They all showed right at dark. Still getting lots of bucks on film but no shooters. Got a lot of pics of bucks between 9 and 2 o'clock on the days it was raining. Thought that was interesting.

Re: Montague county - 12/14/15 05:46 AM

I went to check a cam yesterday at 1pm and there were deer there eating. The deer I saw today from blind were from 3:45 to 5 and nothing after that. It's a crap shoot.

Re: Montague county - 12/16/15 08:30 PM

Hoping to get out there this weekend. If not then I will next.

Re: Montague county - 12/17/15 01:11 AM

When does the second rut kick off?

Re: Montague county - 12/17/15 11:41 AM

I actually saw a deer last weekend. I was walking back to the house in the evening. It was a big buck that didn't hang around. I also heard 3 shots on Sunday afternoon late in the afternoon. Things have been tough around me. No movement and deer only at night on cams. Still lots of acorns and wild rye.

Re: Montague county - 12/17/15 01:09 PM

I'll be heading to the ranch today for the next three days, wishing the weather would be colder but I don't think that's gonna happen for awhile with this up and down weather we've been getting

Re: Montague county - 12/19/15 03:48 AM

Been hunting northern Montague county quite a bit lately. Seeing some small bucks and a lot of does. We have 4 food plots planted in oats, beet, turnips and wheat, the deer are hitting them pretty hard right now. My feeders are in the food plots and the deer hit the food plots and eventually the feeders then back to the food plots. The food plots keep,them hanging around for a long time. I also believe the oats, which I fertilized heavily is keeping them out of the neighbors wheat field. All my game cams are showing basically the same deer we've been seeing the last few months. Going in the morning and hoping a new one cruises by.

Re: Montague county - 12/19/15 06:15 AM

If we don't see any bigger bucks than we have I think the drought was hard on them but I have pics of plenty of nice bucks that didn't get shot last year so don't know where they are. We had the only water around for a while but maybe they scattered now since everyone has cover and water. We have tons of young deer. One guy got an old 8 pt two weeks ago. 17 inch spread. We only shoot 2 to 3 bucks off our 1,000 acres and have a lot of doe that never get shot. Neighbors shoot 1 to 2 bucks. Some doe look very very old though but with rain I didn't want to drag them 1/4 mile through mud. I saw 16 deer in the wind last Sunday and only one ate corn!

We had a nice 11 pt running around and neighbor pulled up with an 8 last week. It was him all broken up. 4 to 5 year old. He broke that stuff off in Oct as you could hardly tell it was him. I'll be out there several more times so good luck everyone.

Re: Montague county - 12/20/15 02:36 AM

We're seeing no bucks until the last minutes of day light. So far, haven't fired a shot.

Re: Montague county - 12/21/15 01:24 PM

I shot two doe's Friday morning, about two minutes apart. Didn't see any bucks at all. Still seeing a lot of doe's with fawns still attached so I'm not really sure what's going on anymore. Duck hunted Saturday morning and had awesome numbers of ducks coming in for hours. That's about it, I'm done for the year.

Re: Montague county - 01/04/16 12:04 PM

Hunted 3 days, saw nothing, and heard 1 shot fired.

Re: Montague county - 01/05/16 07:58 PM

I saw plenty of deer this weekend actually hitting a feeder but all bucks were young. I got 2 oinkers at least. So we took one 17 inch spread buck and one spike for 6 hunters. No shooters seen. Hopefully we get some doe in the next two weeks but I filled my freezer down south.

Appears the wet weather just kept the deer from eating corn and showing their faces. Before this weekend I watched deer after deer avoid the feeder and keep walking.

Buddy of mine is on a large high dollar lease just north of us and they had a horrible season. Spent a lot of dough for not much to show... When you stick to blinds looking at a feeder you can't have much success in these wet years it seems.

Re: Montague county - 01/05/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I saw plenty of deer this weekend actually hitting a feeder but all bucks were young. I got 2 oinkers at least. So we took one 17 inch spread buck and one spike for 6 hunters. No shooters seen. Hopefully we get some doe in the next two weeks but I filled my freezer down south.

Appears the wet weather just kept the deer from eating corn and showing their faces. Before this weekend I watched deer after deer avoid the feeder and keep walking.

Buddy of mine is on a large high dollar lease just north of us and they had a horrible season. Spent a lot of dough for not much to show... When you stick to blinds looking at a feeder you can't have much success in these wet years it seems.

For sure. My problem was the lease I am on has no cover for anything other than travel to and from the feeders, no deer stay on the place. So, when wet weather comes and deer aren't hitting feeders, I have no where to go find deer because they aren't there, at least on my lease. I wish I could have gotten out and went looking for them, in woods or other travel routes, just don't have any.

Re: Montague county - 10/28/16 05:09 PM

Youth season opens tomorrow. Time to start sharing some information. Last year we had a slow season and the deer look great going into the opening weekend. Last weekend, I did see several acorns on the ground. Good luck to all the kids this weekend!

Re: Montague county - 10/28/16 06:24 PM

Acorns are definitely coming down in my area. Out there last weekend and not much activity at the feeders. I had two bucks come in to the area but never went to the feeder - could have been looking for does or caught movement in the blind. But definitely promising.

Good luck to the kids. Looking forward to this coming weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/02/16 03:02 AM

I've not hunted bow season this year. Haven't put out the cameras. Gonna be like Christmas, I guess.

Re: Montague county - 11/02/16 01:04 PM

Conditions at the my place are identical to last year, which made it really tough. I haven't had hardly anything on camera this year compared to last year. Pigs have really started taking over my place, which has probably affected it the most.

Re: Montague county - 11/02/16 02:12 PM

My place, I haven't seen as many does. I've actually seen more bucks this year. I'm hoping they stick around.

Also acorns seem to be dropping which may be why I haven't seen as many deer at the feeders.

Re: Montague county - 11/02/16 05:42 PM

Is anyone hunting the Lucian Vahn place in between Saint Jo and Spanish Fort?

Re: Montague county - 11/03/16 02:22 AM

We've got good bucks on camera and while bow hunting the other day had 2 nice shooters come by, but out of range. Not as many acorns as last year, plenty of hogs.

Re: Montague county - 11/03/16 01:12 PM

I'll be at the ranch next Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm gonna let the hustle and bustle of opening weekend simmer down. Middle of the week is typically better anyways. Hopefully I have some new prospects on camera. Otherwise is gonna be a hog slaying fest!

Re: Montague county - 11/04/16 05:57 PM

I'll be in stand un morning. First deer hunt of the year for us since no one bow hunted. I am the only one out of 6 guys going to be there in the morning. No one hunting on 2 other sides so should be quiet.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/16 08:43 PM

Headed out tomorrow after work for a couple days. Sounds like things are pretty dlow, my only heard two shots opening morning. Hope to hear some reports tonight!

Re: Montague county - 11/07/16 05:06 AM

Got this mature 8 opening morning right before 9! He jumped into the feed pen which I have never seen a mature buck on our place jump into one during daylight hours in 6 years. We have a couple pics of him a month ago but nothing recent so I was lucky. I was alone so my back is tight now from getting him loaded. Rest of the guys came after lunch. Almost got stuck 4 times driving back to get him but it all worked out. Hunted this blind many times and first deer from it.

I saw 3 bucks that morning but everyone else struck out that night and today. Just a spike seen so very slow. Acorns everywhere and doe are staying away from the feeders. One big buck was spotted chasing a doe. This guys hocks were pretty light still. He still had fresh mesquite bark.

Posted By: Aggieman_2006

Re: Montague county - 11/07/16 02:05 PM

Good looking buck, congrats!

I had an exceptional weekend in Nocona. The bucks had absolutely lost their minds, cris-crossing the property in daylight hounding any doe that walked by. Saw several running flat out chasing doe. I'm living with Monday morning guilt for not pulling the trigger...guess I'll have to get back out there bang

Re: Montague county - 11/07/16 03:49 PM

Well I'm headed to the ranch tonight for the next few days, sounds like it's hot in spots and dead in others

Re: Montague county - 11/07/16 05:31 PM

Congrats on the awesome 8!

Saturday morning I didn't hear any shooting - heard two shots in the evening. Saw a few does and two bucks. Could have pulled the trigger on a tall but narrow 8. Worried that he was not legal and he wasn't the one I wanted. Sunday morning at 8:30 young 2.5 yo 8 pt buck trailing a pair of does.

Rut is getting really close. Another week or so before it's in full swing.
Posted By: LM1

Re: Montague county - 11/11/16 04:01 AM

Good luck! Give us an update. I am headed up This weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/16 03:55 PM

Think my neighbors shot my deer last weekend. haha. Big eight. May go over 150. Been drooling over this guy all year. Saw him cross the fence Saturday morning and 45 minutes later I heard the shot. Which one of you guys shot my deer? smile

Re: Montague county - 11/11/16 07:58 PM

Come on guys. Someone post a pic of this deer. I would love to see a pic of him. I promise I won't cry. Just want to know if I need to move my target to another deer.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/16 02:44 AM

You sure do sound confident, that somebody on thus thread shot your deer? Stop beating around the bush and ask them if they shot your target deer! Maybe post a picture so we all can see what we may or may not have shot!

Re: Montague county - 11/12/16 05:00 AM

Hey guys, back on here. Been seeing some decent bucks, an 8 and 10 pt. Where we're at not many acorns so the deer are coming to the feeders. Bucks just basically checking does there and moving on. We have a huge hog problem this year, rooting up all of my food plots, going to be shooting them on sight. Good luck everyone.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/16 03:26 PM

Yeah the hogs are worse this year at my place. Too the point where I've seen half as many deer on my place this year.
Posted By: Eric Reeves

Re: Montague county - 11/12/16 04:26 PM

My buddy shot a stud this morning. He should be on later with pics

Re: Montague county - 11/13/16 03:41 AM

I have been seeing tons of buck this weekend, mostly the regulars that I have been watching since I put my cameras out. But I just pulled the cards and look at this bad boy! I've never seen anything like it.

[url=ht
Posted By: LM1

Re: Montague county - 11/14/16 04:19 AM

Nice pic! We had a buck several years back in Montague that reminds me of this guy. Not sure I still have the pic anywhere but he was like a 13 pointer 8 on 1 side and 6 on the other I believe. I will see if I can locate it and share.

Re: Montague county - 11/14/16 04:30 AM

You sure do sound confident, that somebody on thus thread shot your deer? Stop beating around the bush and ask them if they shot your target deer! Maybe post a picture so we all can see what we may or may not have shot!

Sorry that you misunderstood my post. I wasn't calling anyone out or assuming that someone on here shot "my" deer. Just kidding around a bit and seeing if someone on here may have shot the deer I have been seeing. I don't know my neighbors and was hoping one of you may be and got a nice deer. Was just asking in a light hearted way. Cam picks from this week have answered my curiosity since then. "My" deer are still around.

Pics of the deer I shot this weekend. Not the deer I was after and asking about but I'm super excited about him. My first buck. Both brow tines were broke off but taxidermist said he would fix em for me.

Montague hunters should be in the stand now. The deer are really moving around. Good luck everyone!

Re: Montague county - 11/14/16 05:21 AM

Nice buck! I agree you should be hunting every chance you get, they are really chasing right now. Deer came out a little later than usual tonight , got a super moon going on. Me and my oldest Son shot 4 pigs this afternoon. They came out a little early 😀 !!!

Re: Montague county - 11/14/16 12:42 PM

Well Spro I can guarantee I haven't seen aNY deer close to what you posted. That would be a toad for where I hunt in Montague. I've seen two deer that size in the 20 plus years I've hunted my ranch

Re: Montague county - 11/14/16 05:15 PM

That is a beast. Never seen anything like that on our place. Congrats.

This weekend was very slow for the guys. Also they didn't get out until 4 and were back in the morning by 9. I slept in since I got my buck so only hunted a little in the morning seeing a young buck. You can't kill them at camp I keep telling them. I saw a buck cruising at 10:45 though. And the pigs have dissappeared and there are acorns everywhere. Still dropping.

Re: Montague county - 11/15/16 03:37 PM

That is a beast. Never seen anything like that on our place. Congrats.

This weekend was very slow for the guys. Also they didn't get out until 4 and were back in the morning by 9. I slept in since I got my buck so only hunted a little in the morning seeing a young buck. You can't kill them at camp I keep telling them. I saw a buck cruising at 10:45 though. And the pigs have dissappeared and there are acorns everywhere. Still dropping.

Thanks. I think one reason I was successful that morning is I got in the stand 2 hours before light. Was getting busted going to the stand 1 hr. to 30 min. before light. Made for a longer sleepy hunt but the "big shadows" under the feeder kept me awake.
Posted By: JimRitcholds481

Re: Montague county - 11/18/16 05:11 PM

Saint Jo, Texas, november 10th. 11 point, main frame 10 with a sticker at his right base. Picking him up from the processor today then it's off to the taxidermist. Only the second buck i have ever taken, now I'm spoiled. Taking the girlfriend out this weekend, been seeing a few big bucks moving around chasing. Iv always been more of a waterfowl hunter but after this year I'd have to say nothing beats the feeling of what a big buck can bring.

Re: Montague county - 12/01/16 03:57 PM

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PHyX7y]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PABYXt]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Py3J5S]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Py3J5S]

Re: Montague county - 08/10/17 08:23 PM

Well Gents, I'm ready for an update. I'm hoping to head out to the property this week to check cameras and fill feeders. Anybody been seeing anything good?

Re: Montague county - 08/11/17 09:55 AM

Nice deer. I'll be filling feeders and setting up cameras around the first of September. Right now, it's too dang hot to mess with even going there.

Re: Montague county - 08/11/17 03:33 PM

Bucks are starting to show up on my place. Few of them will be good next year. Hoping something better comes along soon.

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...i2nrc2crjhsdc8x[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...spm7pn0_0vfdnmx[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...nyo82irvgbvhfjd[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...me87aol0osflpaw[/img]

Re: Montague county - 08/11/17 03:34 PM

Not sure why pics not showing

Re: Montague county - 08/11/17 04:19 PM

Nice buck in that last pic. I went out a few weeks ago to fill feeder on Sunday. Feed store closed and walmart wasn't carrying corn yet. Planning to go out next week to set up camera's, move blinds and fill feeders. So ready for the season.
Posted By: HChilly3006

Re: Montague county - 08/21/17 09:00 PM

I hunt near Capps Corner and in the past, we've seen a lot of really nice bucks but this year is different, the pigs have taken over. So much so that I had to add hog panels after they destroyed my feeder and caught sleeping in my pin during the night. Anyways, I feed corn and protein but activity has been weak. Any updates on deer/buck activity near Capps Corner?

Re: Montague county - 08/22/17 05:44 AM

We are SW of Nocona and run 3 cams right now and feeders. All thats coming is hogs. We have killed around 20 so far this year. I will get the hog fenced feeders going in a few weeks and see what we got.

Re: Montague county - 08/23/17 01:14 PM

I pulled the camera's yesterday and the buck activity has really picked up by the lake. Until about a week ago I had the same report as many of you. They are coming out pretty good now, traveling in the bachelor groups. I will post pics as soon as I can. The fawns are growing and look healthy, and as far as I can tell all are accounted for as well.

Re: Montague county - 08/23/17 01:49 PM

That's great to hear. I'll be heading out this week to check cards and repair a feeder.

Re: Montague county - 08/23/17 04:06 PM

A few pics of the progress this year

Re: Montague county - 08/25/17 04:28 PM

Nice deer aggieman
Posted By: cdthompson9

Re: Montague county - 08/28/17 09:14 PM

Should be a good year!! Acorns should fall early.

Re: Montague county - 09/03/17 10:59 PM

Great looking pics Aggieman, what area do you hunt up there?

Update: The hog panels have performed perfectly... so far, no pigs, just deer and the pesky coons. As of right now though, just doe's and a couple small basket racks. I am feeding corn (5 seconds in morning and evening), protein, and I just laid out some rice bran to see if it will bring them in.

Anyone else have any strategies?

Re: Montague county - 09/05/17 04:53 AM

Man, it is just luck for us up there. How many acres do you have? We are on 1,100. Our biggest older deer might visit a feeder once all season and you just have to be there. I watch does walk right by our feeders all the time. All ours we take are right at 120 inch 3 to 4 year olds. We get bigger ones on cam but only once during rut between week before Thanksgiving and first week in Dec. Other areas are better up towards the river. Last year we only took one buck with 5 hunters. They stay in the thick brush so hard to hunt other methods besides stands.

Friend of mine got on a big ranch 6,000 acres up there couple years ago that hadn't been hunted for years. They took a bunch of big 145 to 170 inch deer. It was impressive. Last year nothing. Maybe the drought years finally showed up in the herd since those deer they shot would have been born pre-drought. We shot 3 nice ones same year. They shot them all or something. Water was very scarce until 2015. Land doesn't support taking trophys every year unless you have a lot of land and let them grow. Should only get better going forward hopefully.

Re: Montague county - 09/06/17 02:52 PM

The bucks have still been hanging around and as of Labor Day weekend have gone hard horn. I'm getting excited about the season. Hogs have been really bad as well.

Re: Montague county - 09/13/17 04:04 PM

Got to a late start this year. Started to toss corn and protein by early August. Checked cameras a few weeks ago and there were doe hitting the corn - no bucks as of yet. Will go out this weekend and check again. Hopefully will see something soon otherwise, I'll be kicking myself for not feeding year round.

Re: Montague county - 09/13/17 08:05 PM

We have doe only and a few young bucks as well and they just started showing. We feed year round at 2 feeders and deer will not hit them April to August. Same way every year. We run another 6 feeders late Sept to Feb.

Re: Montague county - 09/14/17 11:08 AM

6 feeders/cameras South of Bowie seeing hogs, does and small bucks.

Re: Montague county - 09/14/17 02:23 PM

Ever since the cool (80's weather) front came through a couple weeks ago from the Hurricane, we've been seeing the bucks finally come back out. I was scared for a little while but it's been so hot, I don't blame them for staying sheltered in the woods.

Seems like the whole area is getting sick of the amount of pigs taking over. I used have 20-30 sals and piglets in my feeder at a time, literally sleeping in my feeder. You have to put up hog panels. Ever since they tore up my feeder and pin, I put up hog panels and they've disappeared. Deer can now eat peacefully without pigs scaring them off.

I don't mind a few pigs, but when they run in packs of 30, they become obnoxious and destructive. I don't have time to hunt them at night either so this seemed like the next best solution.

This is a picture of pigs right after the destroyed my feeder that was standing where they are laying.

Now, the pigs can't get in whatsoever. (1) T-post driven in every 8 feet.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Montague county - 09/14/17 09:10 PM

Is this in a high fence area?

Re: Montague county - 09/15/17 03:06 AM

No, I'm all low fence. I've been fortunate the last couple of seasons with the quality in the area. But i have a major hog problem as well. I have panels up around my feeders (half height) and in the past few weeks an old sow has figure out how to hop on over. It almost seems like those pesky deer keep trying to eat my pig feed

Re: Montague county - 09/15/17 04:03 AM

All of Montague has a huge hog problem. I only hunt our penned feeders in November. Whatever reason the hogs finally move on by December with only a few sticking around. Guess they hit the wheat then. Same story every year. Then they come back with a vengeance in April.

Re: Montague county - 09/20/17 02:04 PM

Yeah last few years I've had a few hogs show up on camera but nothing too concerning. Checked the cameras this past weekend and found a bunch just starting to hit one of my feeders. I'll have go take care of them this weekend or next. Good news is that I'm seeing bucks finally show up, a few shooters.
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: Montague county - 09/25/17 02:22 PM

checked this weekend and did not have any signs of hogs . few doe hanging around the pond !

Re: Montague county - 09/26/17 06:54 PM

I plan to be out there this weekend with bow & stick in hand. It's been a long year! However, I'm not hunting in the morning. Game cameras are picking up a lot of activity prior to sundown, a few does in the morning. But will probably sleep in Saturday and try my luck on Sunday morning. Where will y'all be?

On a side - looking forward to trying my drone out for scouting purposes. Hopefully it doesn't spook the deer.
Posted By: Hman

Re: Montague county - 09/27/17 03:17 PM

Good luck this weekend guys. If anyone sticks one and has trouble finding it, I have a Catahoula that would love the opportunity to help you out.
Wanting to put him on more tracks, he's done a bang up job for me. No fees inside Montague County, but he does accept tips only if he finds them. Really, its more about getting him more experience, so please don't hesitate in calling.

580-276-7795.

Re: Montague county - 09/27/17 03:19 PM

I'll be out there as well this weekend. Going camp for the first time of the season Friday night and will sit all day Saturday, and I couldn't be more excited.

Las Colinas - You've got to give us an update on the drone scouting

Re: Montague county - 09/28/17 04:03 AM

Good luck. I don't think anyone is bow hunting our place. Just got feeders filled but so dang green still and killing hogs.

Thanks Hman. Will save your number. Been a few years since we needed a dog. We are just SW of Nocona. I got a pic last year of a deer with a broken off arrow sticking out of it. Need to talk with our neighbors since he said he shot one and didn't recover but he only hunts twice a year.

Re: Montague county - 09/28/17 04:26 PM

Was it an arrow or bolt? I lost a buck last year with a bolt stuck in his back? I'm just east of Nocona lake.

Will also be interested to see how the drone works out as well.

Re: Montague county - 09/28/17 07:08 PM

Thanks HMAN. # saved.

Re: Montague county - 09/29/17 02:23 PM

Thanks HMAN. Saved your contact info. Hopefully this cool front will be get them up and moving during the day.

Good luck this weekend everyone!

Re: Montague county - 09/30/17 01:58 PM

I sat last night just to observe and there were deer moving all over. Nothing moving yet today.
Posted By: Farmhand

Re: Montague county - 10/01/17 02:48 PM

Thank you, HMAN! Hope all had a good weekend.

Re: Montague county - 10/03/17 02:51 PM

I went but didn't hunt due to other priorities. But, according to cams, dang little showed up at feeders Saturday or Sunday morning.

Re: Montague county - 10/03/17 03:00 PM

I went but didn't hunt due to other priorities. But, according to cams, dang little showed up at feeders Saturday or Sunday morning.

funny I had good activity all week till Friday night , nothing sat/sun. while in the blind Sunday morning there was some abnormal sound off in the distance line drilling of some sort - only way I can describe it is , sounded like all all night club party with the bass going on.

Re: Montague county - 10/03/17 04:16 PM

Dang, they are already onto us!

Re: Montague county - 10/03/17 06:17 PM

gotta remember the weather changed from cooler to warmer Saturday and sunday. It was pretty hot compared to Thursday and Friday.

We should see a little cooler weather in another week or so...I hope.
Posted By: 223 killer

Re: Montague county - 10/04/17 03:19 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wp4SkxU48qOsDJeD3

Re: Montague county - 10/05/17 01:52 PM

Congrats

Re: Montague county - 10/09/17 11:18 PM

Watched 3 doe Saturday at 6:15pm. Sunday morning a doe with her fawn at 8:50 am .

Had 11 different deer at the feeders over the last week caught on the cams

Re: Montague county - 10/15/17 01:01 AM

Anybody hunting this weekend with the cold front Sunday morning? I'll be out in a tree.

Re: Montague county - 10/18/17 07:52 PM

I'll be there this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 10/20/17 01:15 AM

We will be out too.

Random question . What is the ave life span out this way ?what's a "good sized" buck/doe?
My girlfriends family has owned the place we are hunting on for 25+ years but no one has hunted it in years . This is the first year I'm hunting out there and her family gave me the go ahead to set up the place as I'd like. They spend all their time at a lake house now so the girlfriend and I have the place to ourselves

Re: Montague county - 10/20/17 06:25 AM

How big is the property? There are nice deer everywhere but many nocturnal and avoid feeders. Quite a bit of pressure most places so they stay out of site unless it is mid day on Thanksgiving day. grin

Our does weigh 75 to 85 dressed and bucks 105 to 120. Pretty average so nothing huge.

Now my buddy got on a 6,000 acre place not far from us by Ringold two years ago that wasn't hunted and they killed huge deer that first year. Many 150 to 175 born 2009-2011. But last year it fell off like a cliff. They killed off the whole mature class that first year it seems and the drought from 2012/2013 is catching up in deer classes being gone. We have a few big ones from last year still roaming though. We have 1,000 acres and I killed the only 13"+ buck last year out of 5 hunters. No doe were taken. Should only get better from here hopefully or we will just keep killing hogs. Taken over 25 since Jan. We are SW of Nocona. i think towards the river is better for bigger deer. Been hunting Montague since 2005.

I was on a spot on another lease just 3 miles away from my current spot back then. Saw 12 deer the whole season so moved. A first time kid hunter killed a 149 inch from the same spot I moved from the next year.... 160 acre pasture. Good to be lucky!

Re: Montague county - 10/20/17 11:51 AM

We are SW of nocona about 7 miles. It's only 30 acres. I got two feeders set and 3 cams set up last month and we have atleast 11 different deer hitting them . 1 nice 8 point , a big 6 point, two small 6s, a small spike , 4 small doe ,one larger doe with a young fawn. All are hitting the feeders regularly besides the 8 point.

The only Hog I have seen was two weeks ago but found him dead the following weekend. We are hearing a few turkeys , going to add another camera this weekend to see how many there are.
left side of pic

Posted By: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER

Re: Montague county - 10/22/17 10:42 PM

Been hunting the same ranch for the last 7 years minus last year when the owner passed away. We had a good managed herd killed 130"-150+" deer every year. The owners family squatted on the place last year and charged people to hunt illegally behind the backs of the family. I have 6 cameras out only one shooter buck has been caught on camera thus far. So who knows what was killed off our place last year or if the pressure pushed off the deer. So I figure this year is a rebuilding year. Probably wont even shoot a doe. There are some great deer in this county. We are by the lake. Good luck.
Posted By: TCB

Re: Montague county - 10/23/17 04:10 PM

Just picked up a place near St. Jo this past week. We hear there are big deer in the area but so far all we see is a ton of pig sign. It's a mixture of thick woods and open fields. We haven't even had the chance to put feeders out, so we're trying to reserve judgement.

I'd appreciate any insights on the area....deer density, places to eat, stay, etc.

Re: Montague county - 10/24/17 05:00 PM

Re: Montague county - 10/25/17 05:35 AM

About what we are seeing... Only getting pics from two wireless cams so know I won't be hunting those two stands opening morning. I took a nice 8/9 on opener last year. First time to show at that feeder according to the cam. It's about luck for us up there. Doe are not hitting the feeders now. Guess acorns everywhere.

Re: Montague county - 10/25/17 01:34 PM

6 feeders/cams and not many decent bucks coming. NO shortage of hogs.

Re: Montague county - 10/25/17 07:33 PM

I'm right on the Jack/Montague border, have a few bucks hitting the feeders regularly and sometimes during shooting hours. Last month hardly any bucks during daylight.

Re: Montague county - 10/26/17 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: TCB
Just picked up a place near St. Jo this past week. We hear there are big deer in the area but so far all we see is a ton of pig sign. It's a mixture of thick woods and open fields. We haven't even had the chance to put feeders out, so we're trying to reserve judgement.

I'd appreciate any insights on the area....deer density, places to eat, stay, etc.

We hunt up around St Jo. Can see some big deer up there. We hunt in the woods on a smaller property (only 30 acres), but not uncommon to see 7-10 deer in one sitting. We use feeders but don't really need them because of all of the acorns. What direction from town are you hunting?

Re: Montague county - 10/28/17 10:25 PM

Great weather this weekend. Hope y'all are in the woods. I've had good daylight activity. Good luck all

Re: Montague county - 10/30/17 01:34 AM

Saw 11 bucks yesterday afternoon. All within a 45 minute span. Feeder is about 100 yards from kitchen window. They just kept coming and I was in the house watching. Only one shooter but that doesn't really matter when you can't leave the house because they were still coming. I was all camo'd up to leave when the first ones showed up. I was stuck watching. This morning, not one dang deer showed up. Been hunting over 50 years and never see anything like it. They came from different directions and the whole show lasted about 30 minutes. South of Bowie between Carter Lake Road and 287 off Picket Run Rd.
Posted By: LE59

Re: Montague county - 10/30/17 04:06 AM

Up around Forestburg yesterday morning the bucks were running the doe pretty hard. Watched mature and of course younger bucks run doe from first light up to 10ish and the evening wasn't quite as good but saw plenty of movement.

Re: Montague county - 10/30/17 01:22 PM

I had a great Saturday hunt, got busted by a pair of old mature 8's when reaching for my bow. Had groups of doe come and go. Then sat all day Sunday and didn't see a thing, odd how that works.

Re: Montague county - 10/30/17 03:44 PM

Watched a 10 point run does out of the feeder multiple times for about an hour Saturday morning. Heard bucks fighting about 60 yards from me but could not see them. Lots of buck sightings this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 10/30/17 04:18 PM

Saw a bunch of does and pigs. Does were coming to the feeder but bucks were coming at night time still based on pictures. The rut should be kicking off in the next week or two which will help. The deer were moving this weekend with the cool front but just wish the bucks were more active in my area.

Stoked to listen to daylight opening season shots on Saturday! Good Luck everyone!

Re: Montague county - 11/04/17 12:03 PM

Got on stand early. Nice calm morning. Good luck fellas

Re: Montague county - 11/06/17 10:24 AM

Saw nothing Saturday. A small spike Sunday morning. Heard 5 shots around the area Saturday; none Sunday. It was bad.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/17 03:21 PM

Saw a lot of does and between 4 of us we only saw one mature Buck. small bucks were chasing doe. Next weekend maybe will do better.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/17 03:37 PM

Saturday morning was a great hunt (saw bucks and does) but Saturday evening and Sunday morning were duds likely due to the heat. I passed on a decent buck Saturday morning. My dad saw 10 bucks and 10 does Saturday morning as well.

We just need cooler weather to get them moving. The rut should be kicking off soon for the next few weeks until the end of Thanksgiving.
Posted By: burnit

Re: Montague county - 11/07/17 03:05 AM

We hunt southeast of Nocona, off Dixie School. We saw 1 mature buck and a few does. But lots of hogs. We did shoot 4 hogs.

Re: Montague county - 11/07/17 06:27 AM

Saw a quite a bit for us Sat morning. 7 does and 2 bucks from my stand. Both legal but first one knew how to hide and couldn't see more than a wide rack. Looked like he was sneaking down to feeder but guys to east shot and he bolted. It was a mile away dangit. They get big for a reason. Other was a spike on one side and nice rack on other. Shot a big boar Sat afternoon hunt that scared the deer off and only saw a spike Sunday morning. Scared a lot of doe off getting into stand so they blew everything out for 10 minutes. Others saw quite a few deer and passed on a decent buck. Took another huge hog Sat afternoon. Neighbors shot another big deer Sat morning. Didn't hear many shots after Sat morning.

Kids went on a snake hunt and we got a big rattler.
Posted By: Aball87

Re: Montague county - 11/07/17 03:42 PM

Saw one young buck Saturday morning actually jumped him leaving the stand. Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning were crap with the heat and the full moon it was a rough opener.

Re: Montague county - 11/10/17 04:48 PM

This weekend was definitely a bust for me - too hot.

I did see a nice mature buck through NVG about an hour before shooting light. Then a spike and young 7 pt in the evening. Odd I didn't see any does at my honey hole.

Probably didn't help I had to replace a feeder sat afternoon, because pigs got after it and tore it up. I hoping to go this weekend - but next weekend for sure is when I think the rut will be in full. Anyone seeing activity this week?
Posted By: Hman

Re: Montague county - 11/10/17 06:35 PM

The bucks are definitely seeking. Nose to the ground and covering real estate. This stranger came searching at the wrong time. Wasn't my target buck, but heck, my target may be at your place this time of year.

Re: Montague county - 11/11/17 11:01 AM

Great buck HMan

Re: Montague county - 11/11/17 11:31 AM

Very nice buck HMan.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/17 04:44 AM

Great buck!

Tonight was trying. Jumped group of doe walking in. Had a young buck show up early at 3:15 so good sign. Went to corn I there out. At 3:45 heard dogs barking from direction of our property. Then pigs squeal. One of our guys saw them 1/2 mile away. They headed my direction with a pig. Scared a lot of deer to my east I saw running. Feeder didn't go off as it was jammed. Dogs ran creek for 2 hours. Yotes got the pig they took down right by my feeder. Saw other small buck walk by as cows came in... That other buck on my corn stayed the whole time. We have these dogs on camera several times. Wonder who owns them...

Re: Montague county - 11/12/17 12:23 PM

Nice Buck HMan!

Re: Montague county - 11/12/17 01:50 PM

Wow great buck Hman

Re: Montague county - 11/15/17 09:44 PM

Awesome buck! Congrats.

So anyone seeing good rut activity. I went this past weekend and it was quiet. Saw a big bodied deer, probably a buck, at the end of shooting light, but he was 325 yards away. 4 does, but that was it on Saturday.

Re: Montague county - 11/15/17 09:46 PM

On Sunday right before we left a buck had a doe penned right next to camp under a tree. Doe are in hiding. Typical this time of year there. Otherwise all I saw was 4 tiny bucks last weekend and some doe. There will be 3 of us hunting so 12 hunts. Hopefully one of us get a deer.
Posted By: TxMeatHunter

Re: Montague county - 11/15/17 10:36 PM

Very Impressive

Re: Montague county - 11/15/17 11:56 PM

We are getting daylight activity finally .

Re: Montague county - 11/16/17 04:50 AM

This weekend we will have all 4 seasons and wind directions in 2 days. Something has to happen.

Re: Montague county - 11/16/17 05:05 AM

I'm so there - hoping to get our early of work on Friday. Good luck ya'll

Re: Montague county - 11/16/17 03:01 PM

Won't be able to get there until Wednesday night....Darn!

Re: Montague county - 11/18/17 04:59 AM

Rut is on or about to really kick up and deer everywhere. Only saw one mature guy broken on one side though and sky lighted another behind me but saw over 20 deer. Saw a nice buck at 2:30 on neighbors place by camp pushing a doe hard. Hope a big one comes out now not broken off.

And rattlesnakes still out. One of our guys got one with the truck tonight.

Re: Montague county - 11/18/17 01:05 PM

Man it is windy. I can barely hold my binos still. I feel like I’m hunting in a wind tunnel or hurricane crazy but I’m seeing does.

Re: Montague county - 11/18/17 02:49 PM

Got to blind in short sleeves and had to get jacket on by 7. Only two little bucks early. I am ready for some Red River Pizzeria in Nocona to get out of this hurricane.

Re: Montague county - 11/18/17 05:42 PM

Headed up this afternoon, tomorrow morning should be great.
Posted By: Spooks

Re: Montague county - 11/18/17 08:03 PM

Oh Snap - nice buck!

Re: Montague county - 11/19/17 09:16 PM

Hunted this morning and didn't see a thing. Very unusual, and the conditions were perfect. Anyone else have luck over the weekend?

Re: Montague county - 11/19/17 09:29 PM

Was out this morning as well. Only saw 4 doe in the gale force winds yesterday. I thought this morning was going to be a bust. Sat in a blind until 8:00, nothing, then moved to another spot. Saw 7 for and 1 8 point cruising through at 9:15. That was about it. Nothing much to speak of on cameras as well this week. Very odd. Last two years during this time the bucks were chasing. Maybe another week until the rut kicks in?

Re: Montague county - 11/19/17 09:30 PM

Will see what happens this evening - been in the dang blind since 1:00 - stupid app!

Re: Montague county - 11/19/17 11:43 PM

I haven't been skunked on an all day hunt in a while. Hope y'all saw something, odd day for me

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 12:18 AM

My buddy went out this weekend. Saw 3 doe and a small 6 chasing . Slow Weekend and week at our place according to the cameras too

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 12:51 AM

Had a group of pigs come out at the last minute tonight. Took 1 down. Only saw a small 4 pt and 1 doe at 2:30pm. Both deer were eating corn. Hopefully this week is better though.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 02:37 AM

I'm going to spend the night and hunt the morning, I'll let y'all know if it gets any better.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 05:32 AM

This morning was pretty good. Turkey flew down from roost next to us and bobcat was trying to get them so that was cool. I think he was unsuccessful as he strolled right in front of us with nothing. Saw 2 small bucks and nice older 8 right st the ears esting. Then mom and 2 young ones a little later. One of our guys kids took a spike.

Last night 3 younger bucks dogged a doe in front of us for a while.

And we had a very nice non-typical on camera in Sept and not seen since. Another neighbor had a pic. Only nighttime pics so not much detail. Well, our other neighbor whose camp is next to ours and we share fence with them took it bow opener. He showed me the pics. Unreal 19 point. Probably score close to 170 or more.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 01:15 PM

Seeing very little. Wondering where they all went.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 02:01 PM

Dave, I'm having the same thoughts. Haven't seen anything again so far this morning.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 02:05 PM

So do we think we missed the rut? I'm thinking its coming up quickly. Maybe this unseasonable warm weather has slowed them down? Just really odd.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 02:20 PM

Saw 2 doe, 1 small 8 pt this morning so far. The doe ate corn but the 8 pt skipped on feeding and kept walking. Not in any rush at all though. Checked cameras for first time in 3 weeks and the big bucks are no where to be found. I wonder if the prime rut time is about to go down once the majority of doe are in heat.

Guy on our place took a big funky buck last Monday and he said he saw 10 bucks that day so I hope we didn’t miss the rut.
Posted By: supersixfour

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 03:45 PM

I'm a few miles south of Nocona.
At 10:30am yesterday I saw a wide 8 pointer trailing a doe at 10:30am in the middle of a pasture, out in the wide open right next to a county road.
I think the rut is still on. In my area it typically seems to run through Thanksgiving.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: supersixfour
I'm a few miles south of Nocona.
At 10:30am yesterday I saw a wide 8 pointer trailing a doe at 10:30am in the middle of a pasture, out in the wide open right next to a county road.
I think the rut is still on. In my area it typically seems to run through Thanksgiving.

The rut is on. Sitting by a feeder gives you a slim chance to see the rut though many times. They don't go and eat. One of our kids shot a 10 Friday night chasing doe full speed and it stopped amazingly in front of him. I had deer flying through Friday night. Only mature guy I saw had a doe penned up and wouldn't let anyone near him and only came into view a few times to kick deer from his area. Might have to sit all day.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 05:31 PM

Well that's good to read, hopefully they'll still be at this week. Just odd, typically we'll see a lot more buck activity - I hunted from 3 different locations on Sat and Sun and only one yielded a young 8 cruising. The does I did see all seemed skittish. So I think there were bucks lurking.

Heading out on Friday and may be even on Wednesday if I can convince the wife of the dire need to be in the field.

Re: Montague county - 11/20/17 05:32 PM

Well that's good to read, hopefully they'll still be at this week. Just odd, typically we'll see a lot more buck activity - I hunted from 3 different locations on Sat and Sun and only one yielded a young 8 cruising. The does I did see all seemed skittish. So I think there were bucks lurking.

Heading out on Friday and may be even on Wednesday if I can convince the wife of the dire need to be in the field.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/17 01:53 PM

I'm heading back this afternoon for another camp. I'll get a couple more hunts in. I'll let y'all know if they are moving any better

Re: Montague county - 11/21/17 01:57 PM

Good luck Aggieman! Hopefully you get the big one.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/17 01:59 PM

Got to blind in short sleeves and had to get jacket on by 7. Only two little bucks early. I am ready for some Red River Pizzeria in Nocona to get out of this hurricane.

I meant to ask, is the Pizza good? I've driven by it for the past four years and have yet to go in.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/17 06:19 PM

Yes and great owner. He is from Southlake and lives by our lease. And cold schooners of Shiner. Been there 4 times. Kids love it. Was a nice break from the 40 mph winds and was full by the time we left at 1.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/17 06:30 PM

Heading up tomorrow in time to get an evening hunt in. Hope I can tell yall something good!!

Re: Montague county - 11/21/17 07:26 PM

Will try out the pizza this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/21/17 09:09 PM

I may try the pizza Friday Night also!

Re: Montague county - 11/22/17 02:11 PM

A lot of activity on this cold morning. I’ve seen 5 bucks and a small doe. All were young bucks and they seeking and chasing. The bucks were smaller but it’s good to see them moving around.

Also, I ate at the Red River Pizza place last night. The pizza was really good. Better than anything else around. Will def go back!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Montague county - 11/22/17 02:33 PM

sounds like we need an end of season meet at this pizza place!

great to hear about the movement. we will be headed up Friday till Sunday.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/17 02:50 PM

I'm game for some pizza and beer to close out the season.

Also good to read the deer are moving. Will try to get up there for a Friday hunt for sure. Unexpected guests are coming in this weekend which puts a damper on a long weekend hunt. Hopefully they'll plan to come in Sunday vs Sat.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/17 12:37 PM

Y'all hunting today? I'm sitting in a tree. Good luck.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/17 01:50 PM

Good luck aggieman. I couldn't make it up there this morning, but will be there this afternoon through Saturday night.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/17 02:07 PM

Yep seen 6 doe and 2 bucks. One buck ( looked to be an 3 ur old 8 pt) was trailing a doe and other was a young 6 just cruising.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/17 02:17 PM

I've been covered up this morning. Seen chasing and cruising. Nice 10 wouldn't give me a shot and a ?-point but wide was feeding before or light.

I'm by the lake in Nocona for reference.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/17 05:58 PM

Saw two Doe this morning. Slow where I’m at. Heard two shots to the south where there are 10 guys on that place.

Re: Montague county - 11/25/17 02:10 PM

4 doe so far. Only 2 ate. Last night all bucks at different blind. Big guy showed at last light but couldn't tell what he was so look forward to pulling card later.

Buddy dropped his kids deer of at Fischers last week and itnwas busy. Said several folks didn't tag their meat yet and saw a few illegal deer. Fischers made them tag them of course but under 13 deer never get caught unless GW is at processor. ARs only keep the honest folks honest.

Re: Montague county - 11/25/17 10:47 PM

Couldn’t hunt this morning - had to run home for some visitors. But 1 minute after they left I m back in the truck and sitting in the blind within 2 hrs. Last nights hunt all I saw were two does and a really young spike. Hoping this evening is better but my bet is on the cold night driving some activity in the morning.

Re: Montague county - 12/01/17 02:30 PM

Anyone have any updates from the past week? I am not sure if I'll be able to make it out this weekend or not, unless one of yall can convince me that something has changed.

Good luck, be safe!

Re: Montague county - 12/01/17 05:01 PM

No convincing from me. I was out there this past weekend and hardly saw anything. I did see a large body buck in hurry at 325 yards on Sunday morning and that was it. Usually I see a lot of does but really not a lot. I'm going to wait until next weekend - it is forecasted to be much cooler and the bucks may settle back in to a normal schedule. Last year around the same time - I started to see bucks start to hit the feeders. Good luck and let us know if you see any good activity out there this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/17 01:15 AM

Saw small basket 8 pt, 2 does, 1 yearling. All were eating corn.

Full moon tomorrow morning so we will see but next week should be nice with the front coming in.

Re: Montague county - 12/02/17 04:41 AM

Went out tonight. Jumped some doe walking to stand. Single nubbin came in to eat early but no corn that early. Then feeder didn't go off. Walked down to unjam it. Same deer came in right away after I spun it a few times. Then a young doe came in with nice buck in tow. Luckily broken on one side and he just watched her eat standing outside pen. Then doe parade came in. Blowing and eating for an hour. At least we saw an older buck.

Re: Montague county - 12/04/17 01:53 PM

I didn't see a deer. However, a guest took an old, toothless 10 point that weighed 140 lbs.

Re: Montague county - 12/05/17 06:35 PM

Gonna try getting up there Thursday for an evening hunt. Hope things have changed a bit..

Re: Montague county - 12/05/17 08:17 PM

I want to try for this weekend - especially with the cold that is setting in. One last shot at the big ole boy I've seen on camera. Good luck.

Re: Montague county - 12/06/17 07:24 PM

Well my plans got changed and wont be able to go until Friday late afternoon. Good luck guys!!

Re: Montague county - 12/06/17 07:57 PM

Anyone on here recently purchase 200 acres and hunting north of Sunset? PM me please. Nothing bad, just trying to get to know my new neighbors.

Re: Montague county - 12/19/17 02:59 PM

Going again this weekend..

Re: Montague county - 12/20/17 06:25 AM

Postponed my hunt today due to rain and will go Friday. Hopefully less rain. Was hunting another place on the west county border Sunday and saw a huge buck but was shooting doe only. They hit the wheat big time. Feeders pretty slow except for doe and young bucks. Our older deer still avoid feeders this time of year and go to wheat to feed.

Re: Montague county - 12/23/17 01:17 AM

I've got an opportunity to get out and have br tomorrow. What's have the local conditions been in Nocona, anyone have anything to report? Any suggestions for making an all day hunt? Hunting feeders has yielded very poor results for the last couple of weeks. I'm thinking of trying a ground sit in some hardwoods if the ground is t too soupy.

Good luck, Merry Christmas

Re: Montague county - 12/23/17 01:18 AM

The phone intervened on my behalf. That should have been "...get out and hunt tomorrow"

Re: Montague county - 12/23/17 02:56 AM

I postponed again until Tuesday. If I was going to do an all day hunt, I would not do it from a stand where you only look at a feeder. Better bet would setup a ground blind where they travel. Looking at a feeder after corn is gone this time of year is pointless. Tomorrow looks great.

Re: Montague county - 12/27/17 01:40 PM

Heads up....second rut seems to be on. Went out last night to pig hunt and had a nice 8pt come running in grunting and chasing does. When the does left, he put his head down like a dog tracking and followed where they went.

Re: Montague county - 12/28/17 04:43 AM

Group of toms came in and ate most of corn and deer squeezed their way in. 6 pt, tall spike and nubbin. Nubbin and spike were same size so I was not giving son the green light. Plus sister was using restroom below us. Corn was gone in 5 minutes. Will try to find a doe in morning for him.

Re: Montague county - 07/27/18 12:29 AM

Hey Guys - it's that time of year again. Anyone seeing big bucks on the camera during this hot/dry summer?
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Montague county - 07/27/18 02:04 AM

I will be just across the river tomorrow in Terral, OK filling the feeder

Camera broke late last year on me bang

My father in law saw a decent buck last weekend.

Didn't get a real good look but from a distance said it looked decent.

Re: Montague county - 07/27/18 07:58 AM

On cam, seen jack. Just little bucks and some doe. Crap load of turkey as usual. Hardly a pig anymore. About to fill the fenced feeders so will know more then. Had some giants killed right next to us last year we had on cam. Rains been pretty good compared other areas which hurts hunting.

Re: Montague county - 07/30/18 12:26 PM

Jack / Montague border.

Re: Montague county - 07/30/18 06:37 PM

I've been waiting on someone to kick us off. I pulled cards this weekend and found a good fawn crop, healthy doe herd and several bucks that survived last season. Their growth this year seems to be pretty nice. Pics to come as I can get them uploaded.

Re: Montague county - 07/31/18 07:31 PM

Nice buck Alex. I hunt up near Capps Corner and going up this weekend to pull cards on my 3 cameras the past month. Will post my best pic!

Re: Montague county - 07/31/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: H-Childress
Nice buck Alex. I hunt up near Capps Corner and going up this weekend to pull cards on my 3 cameras the past month. Will post my best pic!

Thanks! That's the only picture I had of him but apparently my feeder hadn't been running for a while. Put a new one up last weekend and will probably go back up there next weekend. Looking forward to your trail pics.

Re: Montague county - 08/01/18 01:31 PM

There is the best buck from the card pull last weekend in Nocona.

Re: Montague county - 08/01/18 02:17 PM

Nice looking buck, def a shooter. Are you feeding protein or just corn at your place in Nocona?

Re: Montague county - 08/01/18 02:52 PM

Thanks H-C, and I agree. I hope he presents and opportunity this season. I passed several times last year and it paid off. This is the first year in the out of a 5 year streak that I haven't fed protein, pigs at the retaining lip off of my gravity feeder this summer and I haven't made time to fix/replace.

Re: Montague county - 08/01/18 03:03 PM

Yeah pigs sure can do some damage. I had to replace my corn feeder and put hog panels up last year. Needless to say, all of my pictures now are deer but I still get plenty of shots at pigs as they graze on the outside of the feeder. I feel your pain.

We feed protein year round and corn (obviously) and rice bran on the ground sometimes. We have certainly seen major results in feeding protein but it's way much more costly. Since we just have a gravity feeder, the deer eat at all times of the night resulting in night pics but not showing up during the day. I've been looking into the hammer feeding system (protein timer) to regulate when protein is available so it would cut costs so the does are eating all night long.

http://www.thehammerfeeder.com/

Has anyone seen the Hammer Feeder or know anyone that has used it?

Re: Montague county - 08/04/18 09:56 PM

Few good bucks, bunch of does, and some pigs.

Re: Montague county - 08/05/18 06:35 AM

Some good looking bucks there. Which direction from Nocona are you? We are not seeing much on cam yet. One barely legal 9 or 10 and doe. Need to get the feeders running.

Re: Montague county - 08/05/18 11:31 AM

I expect to fill feeders and dump some rice bran about the middle of September. The hogs will appreciate it. And, I’m butt deep in hogs.

Re: Montague county - 08/05/18 12:10 PM

I’m up near Capps Corner, 15 min east of Nocona.

Anyone else in that area?
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Montague county - 08/06/18 01:11 AM

I hunt just north of Nocona. Haven't seen many deer, and only two bucks in velvet. One might be legal come the season. Seeing lots of hogs, and this is the first time in three years. Also seeing turkeys on the camera almost every morning. First time for the turkeys there.

This property has only one oak tree, so no acorns to speak of. Lots of mesquite, and some wild plums.

Re: Montague county - 08/07/18 12:42 PM

Just got on a lease near Capps Corner as well. Saw one good buck this past week for a couple of seconds but couldn't tell for sure what he was. Has anyone stayed at the hotels in Nocona? We don't have lodging set up yet and wanted a place nearby.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Montague county - 08/07/18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: H-Childress
Yeah pigs sure can do some damage. I had to replace my corn feeder and put hog panels up last year. Needless to say, all of my pictures now are deer but I still get plenty of shots at pigs as they graze on the outside of the feeder. I feel your pain.

We feed protein year round and corn (obviously) and rice bran on the ground sometimes. We have certainly seen major results in feeding protein but it's way much more costly. Since we just have a gravity feeder, the deer eat at all times of the night resulting in night pics but not showing up during the day. I've been looking into the hammer feeding system (protein timer) to regulate when protein is available so it would cut costs so the does are eating all night long.

http://www.thehammerfeeder.com/

I changed over to The Hammer on my 1000 protein feeder. Glad I did. Saves $ on feed and the ability to set the timer for opening feed is a plus to pattern deer. I now have 2 of The Hammer systems.

Has anyone seen the Hammer Feeder or know anyone that has used it?

Re: Montague county - 08/07/18 03:16 PM

TCB- The Veranda Inn is really nice in comparison to the other little motor lodge right down the road from it in Nocona, reasonable price as well. I have stayed there a few nights over the past few seasons. Good luck

Re: Montague county - 08/21/18 07:38 PM

Went there Sunday/Monday to fill feeders and mow pens. We noticed there are hardly any acorns. Grasshoppers are thick. Could be a good year for watching a feeder...

Re: Montague county - 08/21/18 10:40 PM

Checked cards this weekend. My dad started feeding Record Rack 3 weeks ago and he has probably 40% more deer visiting his feeder than mine and for longer duration. Maybe it's just because it's something new but the the difference is obvious. Freaking $14 for a 40lb bag.

Re: Montague county - 08/21/18 10:48 PM

Nice buck! Yeah Record Rack is good stuff but you're right, it's expensive. We feed regular 16% or 20% (depending on time of year) GamePro protein and it works great, it might be $1 less than Record Rack. The deer love the protein, especially if you top it off with C'mere Deer Corn Coat. During the Texas summer, there isn't much vegetation for them to get their nutrients and the protein helps the need.

I'll be checking cameras again Saturday morning.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Montague county - 08/22/18 01:48 PM

Capps Corner is a great area for deer. Only acorns we've heard about in that area are the Bigelows and they are loaded but small.
Had a relative that sold her place just east of their last year. She had some good deer on her place so they are around.
Family place to the east might have some lodging available during the deer season and it would be closer than Nocona.
RedRiverBreaks.com has 2 houses for lodging , might be able to help you.

Re: Montague county - 08/22/18 03:55 PM

Most of the oaks in Montague are Post Oaks. They can produce tons of acorns as they have in the past few years.

Re: Montague county - 08/23/18 02:24 PM

I looked at my oaks a week ago South of Bowie. Not many acorns on most trees.

Re: Montague county - 08/23/18 04:45 PM

Corn should be a bigger player this year with no acorns like in the past. We were able to mow the feed pens with a regular mower. Didn't even have to mow at camp. Could use some more moisture.

Re: Montague county - 08/24/18 09:41 AM

I think food plots will be out of the question for me this year. Only had 2 inches of rain in the last month. Very little before that. None on the horizon for quite a while. Without subsoil moisture it will be a waste of time and $.

Re: Montague county - 09/15/18 04:14 PM

Just checked my pics from the past few weeks. Deer are coming in on regular basis but they looking a little thin. Fields are pretty green but I didn't notice a ton of acorns. Pigs are still coming in but the hog panels are working well.

P.S. Saint Jo just added a new BBQ place called Red River Station BBQ that is pretty good. It's right behind the Lazy Heart Restaurant (isn't very good).

This is my best buck. Might be a good bow buck.

Re: Montague county - 09/15/18 06:29 PM

Looks good. Nothing good yet on our wireless cam except a big 6. Haven't checked others. And no acorns either near Nocona.

Why did you put that top wire up? We have 4 fenced feeders and cow has never gotten in there. I would be worried about a deer getting a leg in it.

Re: Montague county - 09/15/18 06:45 PM

Good question! It's only high in that one place that you see in that picture. I tied the middle of the top strand down in a couple areas to the hog panels so it's a little lower. In the past, we didn't have the top strand and with the protein in the feeder and rice bran on the ground, the cattle will bend and destroy the panels to get in. The deer don't have any issues jumping the fence, I even have fawns in there. Younger fawns can't get in but they eat the corn on the outside.

Re: Montague county - 09/15/18 06:57 PM

How many pounds of protein do you go through in a month? How many protein feeders? We have never fed it. Just run corn feeders August to Feb and few hog ones year round.

Re: Montague county - 09/15/18 07:19 PM

We've had two protein feeders running year round along with corn for 5-7 years now. The results have been dramatic with regards to growth and consistent traffic. The deer start hitting it hard May through October. Once the rut hits, the protein feeding slows down. During the winter, they are seeking corn more.

I have a 1,000 lb protein feeder and during the summer, 20 bags will last one month (~$12 per 50 lb. bag). During the winter months, I'll fill it up and it'll last 3 months or so. Right now with the gravity bottom feeder, they can eat all night long. I think I am going to buy the Hammer Protein feeder timer so I can regulate the feeding and cost more.

Protein has not only improved the buck growth but when we take doe's for meat, they are heavy and thick.

It's expensive, don't get me wrong but the results make it difficult to stop feeding. Once you start, it hard to stop when you see the activity slow down.

Re: Montague county - 09/17/18 04:01 PM

Nice looking buck! And also for the info on the BBQ place, will definitely have to hit that place up on the way out this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 09/17/18 04:05 PM

Going up this weekend to top off feeders and clear cameras. Will post if anything good has come in.

Re: Montague county - 09/17/18 04:31 PM

The big boys have finally started arriving! Getting excited now.

Re: Montague county - 09/17/18 11:47 PM

Thanks for the info. Just running one protein feeder would cost more than my lease fee... But might be worth it someday.

Re: Montague county - 09/24/18 04:06 PM

Was up this weekend to check out pics, man it was wet. Had to string up wire around my feeders because land owner is putting cattle on the place in the next month. Anyways I have pretty decent activity on camera. Most are 3 y/o but I have one mature cull deer, looks like a reindeer on 1 side and typical 5 points on the other. Will try to get pics up tonight - so odd. I know it is genetics and not an injury, as there was a two year old with the same horn configuration. Hopefully he'll give me a shot this weekend.

Also need to kill about 20 pigs and they're cleaning out the feeders. Ughhh.
Posted By: jwh44

Re: Montague county - 09/25/18 09:15 PM

I hunt montague and the hogs have been terrible on my feeder. The deer will hit the protein, but they don't get a chance on the corn with all the hogs.

Re: Montague county - 10/08/18 04:52 PM

How are the deer moving in your area? I will be in the tree this weekend. Deer should be moving with the cold front moving in.

Re: Montague county - 10/08/18 04:55 PM

Also, apparently Saint Jo has added the following food options: The Burrito Shop, Red River Station BBQ, and a new Hamburger place.

Re: Montague county - 10/08/18 09:54 PM

I saw that BBQ last week but too tired to stop. Will have to try it next weekend. In terms of the deer, I saw one small buck (6 point) in the morning hunt. Before I left I checked the other site's camera and what would you expect. A lot more activity than where I was at, I could have arrowed at least a doe. Well will try again hopefully this coming up weekend.

Re: Montague county - 10/09/18 12:06 PM

I have 6 feeders. Went by all of them Sunday morning about 11:00. Zero tracks from either deer or hogs. I don’t have many acorns but they are all falling now.

Re: Montague county - 10/15/18 08:50 PM

Hunted this past weekend on Friday evening (saw 3 does) then was rained out the rest of the weekend. I am going back up this weekend. Stay tuned!

P.S. the BBQ was pretty good in Saint Jo and the breakfast at the Burrito shop was solid.

Re: Montague county - 10/22/18 01:17 AM

Where’s the hamburger place? The BBQ and Burrito place were both closed when we went to kill pigs about 10 days ago. We ended up at Dairy Queen.

Re: Montague county - 10/22/18 02:00 AM

It’s right around the corner from the BBQ place. It’s cash only! Corner of N Main St and E Church St. It’s not on maps

Re: Montague county - 10/22/18 02:49 PM

I know it's been a slow or wet season when the main topic of discussion are the new dining places to eat in St Jo. I'll be hitting those places in a few weeks for sure.

Q: I've been hunting near Nocona Hills for 5 season now. I've spoken to several folks that say the peak rut is in early November and some say right around Thanksgiving. I've seen better activity around Thanksgiving but also have seen rutting activity during late bow and early November. I'm typically in field every weekend from Nov through Mid December, with a few extra days here or there. But this year , due to family commitments - wife surgery, sister having a baby and mother in law coming to stay with us, I have to be a little more strategic on when I can plan to be out. What says the group, if you only only 2 or 3 weekends to hunt (excluding opening weekend - niece is expected to arrive)?

Re: Montague county - 10/23/18 06:15 AM

I would hunt weekend before Thanksgiving, and two after personally for rut activity. Or move it up a week. But based on all experience on getting big deer, opening weekend and then a crap shoot. We see good deer on cam right before season and then after Thanksgiving moving middle of day. Really hard to pattern looking at a feeder for big deer after opener up there. Last year all our big deer were shot by neighbors during bow, youth and opener so we didn't get squat. They shot some incredible deer though and happy for them.

Re: Montague county - 10/23/18 10:22 PM

Killed lots of bucks from nov5th - nov13th
You won't catch me anywhere else between those dates
After about the 20th it just drops off

Re: Montague county - 10/24/18 02:53 PM

We have lots of small bucks on cam. Actually more bucks than does. That is fixing to change....

Re: Montague county - 10/26/18 06:17 PM

Yep, I got a break from the wife. She's going to pick up the MIL over Thanksgiving and I don't have to go. Thus giving me the second weekend through Thanksgiving to get out to the field!

Re: Montague county - 10/31/18 04:37 PM

Careful out there. Had a rattler in the barn this past weekend....

Re: Montague county - 11/01/18 12:50 PM

I’m seeing yearlings that have been deserted by Mom

Re: Montague county - 11/01/18 04:29 PM

It's going to be a muddy mess. We still have some little spike deer on cam with momma as of last week.

Re: Montague county - 11/01/18 06:29 PM

Saw lots of screwed up small rack deer last weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/01/18 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Cueman
Careful out there. Had a rattler in the barn this past weekend....

Did you burn the barn down? I would have or pooped myself or both.

Re: Montague county - 11/03/18 02:00 PM

Seen 4 doe and 4 bucks. 3 of the bucks ate together for a while. An 8, 6, 4 and spike. Others guys seen doe and young 8s. Almost got sprayed by a skunk walking in. I ran and sank to my shin in mud. In mud boots luckily.

Re: Montague county - 11/03/18 02:44 PM

New 4 pt showed up. Pretty good morning so far. No sign of rut either which is normal this early. The 8 made a scrape.

Re: Montague county - 11/03/18 09:19 PM

Just does this morning for me. No signs of the rut yet over here. A little windy today but feels nice to be in the stand.

Re: Montague county - 11/03/18 09:33 PM

Spooked a buck walking to stand. Nice 6 and 3 pt came to eat. Saw some bucks far off that looked good. Doe just walked by. Mom probably saw me playing whack a wasp. Front moving in I guess. Rainshaft just popped to the east luckily.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/18 03:56 AM

That storm was the first to form that moved into DFW. Pretty cool to watch it form and grow into a line.

Also saw a piggie with a huge herd and a big chase. All of our feeders are getting hit early with young deer. More than I have ever seen. We have a few big ones though on cam randomly. 130 to 145 inch.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/18 11:54 AM

Lousy opening day. In the morning I saw a spike and a couple of yearling does. In the afternoon, a yearling doe. I hunted different feeders. In the morning I heard 4 shots, 3 of them were a long way away, and one close.afternoon I heard one shot a long way off.

Don’t recall ever seeing an opener this bad.

About 5 miles South of Bowie

Re: Montague county - 11/04/18 12:18 PM

Very cool pics. I’m jealous - I’m in Alabama taking of a newborn niece. But will be hitting the field come next weekend!

Re: Montague county - 11/04/18 12:35 PM

Just saw a young buck pushing a doe. Nothing yesterday at all.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/18 12:48 PM

Got a young buck pushing a doe around. Grunting and nose down. Hanging at the blind for 20 minutes now in bow range. Literally walking in circles around me. I guess she is ready but both are young. Mature bucks are not showing.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/18 01:04 PM

My buddy said it’s been really slow at our place near Capps Corner. Couple of yearlings but not much else.

Re: Montague county - 11/04/18 05:02 PM

Just does this weekend up near Capps Corner. Nice pics, I got poured on last night but the weather was really nice for being in the woods.

Hopefully movement picks up the next week or two!

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 12:13 AM

Shot a spike this morning, but nothing yesterday morning. The wind was really howling yesterday.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 02:42 AM

I'm a bit west of Capps Corner; watched a bunch of does and younger bucks Saturday. Lots of little under-AR bucks. I almost gave it up when the storm hit, because I was sitting in the blind, remembering that I'd left the truck's windows down back in camp. This morning I watched a doe and her two 6-month fawns for half an hour. Then this 7-pointer joined them. Glad I remembered to set the alarm clock back-

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 01:24 PM

Nice buck there Dennis!!! Those deer up there are so big it's almost a must to have a hanger like that. I shot a doe last night that dressed out at 103#.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 02:00 PM

Mud,Mud,and more mud. Saw several bucks this past weekend. Nothing worth a shot but had action. Come on next weekend. young bucks still running together.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 02:06 PM

Mud is right. Our neighbor got stuck Sunday since he pulled off the road to park. One of their other guys got stuck getting him out. I went to help and got stuck. One of our guys got me out since he could pull from the dry road but the other guys had to use a dozer.

Couple of our feeders might go dry if we can't get corn to them so might be hand corning those areas. Of course getting a deer out will be hard to. Hopefully it dries up.

Also killed a rattler Sat night on road to camp.

One of our guys stopped by the brewery in Nocona. Got us a 6er of the IPA and was really good.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 02:30 PM

Where is caps corner...We are a mile west and two miles north of the Rancho Tierra Colorada ranch. On Copeland Road.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 02:45 PM

Capps Corner is a dot on the map east of Nocona.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 03:12 PM

ok thanks.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 05:37 PM

That bucks genes must be rampant in that area - we have buck we call ghost that has similar horns. He’s an old fella. Hoping someone gets him this year - he’s been on my camera during the daylight the past few weeks. Congrats on the buck.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth
I'm a bit west of Capps Corner; watched a bunch of does and younger bucks Saturday. Lots of little under-AR bucks. I almost gave it up when the storm hit, because I was sitting in the blind, remembering that I'd left the truck's windows down back in camp. This morning I watched a doe and her two 6-month fawns for half an hour. Then this 7-pointer joined them. Glad I remembered to set the alarm clock back-

Nice deer Dennis. Looks like you found a decent place to hunt.

Re: Montague county - 11/05/18 05:40 PM

Yeah mud is bad - I got stuck 2 yrs ago and had to have my wife pull me out with her Jeep. I had turn in my man card after that. Next day traded in 2wd F150 for 4x4. Then this yr picked up a Utv because it’s been so wet.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/18 11:59 AM

Saw nothing hunting. Just before dark, I drove down Picket Run road. Deer were everywhere. Saw 3 does with a big 10 point watching them next to the road. I stopped and looked at him . He was a lot more interested in the does than he was me. Saw another big 8 just before dark. Nocturnal already.

I have 6 Feeders with cameras.. Virtually no day time action. Acorns are still falling here and they aren’t rotting quick enough.

So far, I have heard 6 shots.

Re: Montague county - 11/06/18 12:37 PM

Dave what part of Montague are you hunting?

Re: Montague county - 11/08/18 02:11 PM

Just South of Bowie

Re: Montague county - 11/08/18 06:32 PM

We are about 10 miles north. Will be heading back up there tomorrow.

Re: Montague county - 11/08/18 10:43 PM

I'm just North of Nocona Hills. Hoping they'll be moving this weekend with cold and rut. This will be my opening weekend as I missed last weekend. Bow season was a bust - but I only hunted 2 weekends.
Posted By: supersixfour

Re: Montague county - 11/08/18 11:08 PM

I'm just south of Nocona off of Rock School Springs. Saw 3 does and some turkeys opening weekend. Hoping for better luck this weekend.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 03:07 AM

Talked to my buddy and he said the rut is “full blown” right now around Saint Jo

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 03:37 AM

I am south of Saint Jo and last weekend the bucks were really pushing the doe!

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 12:59 PM

Are they hitting feeders for any of you?

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 01:16 PM

According to my buddy, no does are coming to feeders because they're getting harrassed by bucks. He killed an old 3pt we've never seen and saw another 8pt that we don't have on any cameras.

Going to be a great weekend to sit where you can see lots of space. I'm jammed up until Sunday but will be out all day in hopes of putting a big one down.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 01:30 PM

I was in Jefferson Co, Oklahoma yest.

Saw a dandy what would be 10 that had one side broke off and he was limping bad

This was basically on the red river.

At my other spots in Wise Co, I’ve not yet seen a full on rut yet but I am thinking it’s going to be anyday

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 01:49 PM

We will be up there tonight and ready for Saturday morning hunt!

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 02:19 PM

Son is catching buck fever at 12:30 today so will need to pick him up early so no one catches it. Will be in stand by 3:30. Might need to buy more propane. Low forcasted 28 now! Last week all our feeders were picked clean each hunt. I never had a doe eat at ones I sat at, just bucks. Does stared and walked off. Or were being chased. Looking at last years text Nov 20 was a very good rut hunt.
Posted By: TGT

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 05:20 PM

Was windy this AM! Daughter was really wanting to hunt so we left at 4am... Road on way to lease was closed... Found a detour and hit a spike on said detour (I really like my ranch hand bumpers!!!)..... Made for an eventful morning... Then saw 2 spikes at feeder... Maybe Sunday... Had to run home to work mad sick mad.

TGT

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 06:15 PM

I'm so looking forward to being out there tomorrow morning - heading up this evening after work. This cold weather will hopefully get them moving all day.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 10:13 PM

Sitting in the stand now. I put doe estrous on a wick hanging from the tree across the field. Within 10 minutes, a 4 point came up to it and was looking for the scent. Almost jumped up and grabbed it. The next week or two is going to be hot if you know what I mean! Good luck fellas!

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 10:24 PM

Got in stand a bit ago. Spike walked by so far just staring at feeder.

Re: Montague county - 11/09/18 11:01 PM

6 pt eating and then our big 9 came to take over. He is very tall but right at the ears. Ate for a while and left so 6 pt jumped back in.

Re: Montague county - 11/10/18 05:12 PM

Anyone hear an explosion/sonic boom, or something like that by Nocona lake this morning around 9:30?
Posted By: tma805

Re: Montague county - 11/10/18 09:36 PM

Yes, a buddy and I heard it. It almost sounded like 2 explosions right together. We guessed maybe someone blew up a big amount of tannerite. Didn't hear any sirens from police, ambulance, fire afterwards either. I am 1 mile west of Nocona lake.

Re: Montague county - 11/10/18 09:49 PM

Rut is on. I chose the wrong blind this morning. This guy harrassing does at my favorite blind. Hope he shows again. Last pic of him was a few weeks ago a mile away. banana

Attached picture Screenshot_20181110-154024_Gallery.jpg

Re: Montague county - 11/10/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by tma805
... It almost sounded like 2 explosions right together. We guessed maybe someone blew up a big amount of tannerite. Didn't hear any sirens from police, ambulance, fire afterwards either. I am 1 mile west of Nocona lake.

Interesting--Back on Oct 27 (youth weekend) my grandson and I heard a similar explosion from the direction of Nocona at about 2:30 in the afternoon. Kinda reminded me of years earlier I was on a lease in Stephens county when the space shuttle blew up over central Texas.

Re: Montague county - 11/10/18 11:22 PM

Back in 2005 or so we heard a huge one just SW of Nocona. We were at a feeder and it was rattling.

See lots of little bucks tonight. One doe by herself. One of our guys kids shot but don't know what.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 01:05 AM

We took a 9 Sat night and I got this 10 with little kicker this morning. They are full rut from what I have seen. Saw 2 doe eating all weekend and that was 200 yards from a feeder. Rest were running. Saw lots of bucks. My neighbor sent me a pic of a big deer coming in that stopped Friday. I was standing over the deer he sent me a pic of at the same time! He's a member here. Oh, deer do go to water... 220 yard run and splash. Had a great blood trail after 40 yards. Quartering away lung shot. This is my biggest buck to take.

Attached picture Screenshot_20181111-190522_Gallery.jpg
Attached picture 20181111_082549.jpg

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 02:26 PM

Yeah it made me jump. I first thought it was either tannerite or a meth house blowing up. But the guys at Big Bear Cafe said is was a sonic boom and it happens around there every now and then.

It terms of deer movement by the Nocona Lake - saw a bunch of smaller bucks cruising and trying to chase. Doe were not having any of it. I saw a mature buck about 5 minutes before Sun up, couldn't tell what it was as it was just a little too dark. But he was a big bodied deer and I could see wide horns.

In St Jo, not too far away there was a monster taken. At the gas station in Muenster last night, two guys ended up taking two great deer probably 150 class deer around St Jo. I'm thinking we're right at the beginning of the rut. Hoping this weekend will be awesome.

Attached picture st Jo.JPG

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
We took a 9 Sat night and I got this 10 with little kicker this morning. They are full rut from what I have seen. Saw 2 doe eating all weekend and that was 200 yards from a feeder. Rest were running. Saw lots of bucks. My neighbor sent me a pic of a big deer coming in that stopped Friday. I was standing over the deer he sent me a pic of at the same time! He's a member here. Oh, deer do go to water... 220 yard run and splash. Had a great blood trail after 40 yards. Quartering away lung shot. This is my biggest buck to take.

Great buck - congrats!
Posted By: TGT

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 05:16 PM

He is an awesome deer and I am glad someone we know got him!!! Now my daughter might kick you in the shin next time we see you but I told her we just gotta keep chasing them!!!!! I had him all week at 705 am everyday until Friday and I guess we spooked him back your way... Congrats on a great deer!!!

TGT

Attached picture C80759E2-AFE1-4EE4-85C7-4D93800820C5.jpeg
Attached picture B076B7BE-A75C-496B-AB1B-CBE9733084C2.jpeg

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 08:02 PM

We've hunted hard the past week and judging by the lack of mature deer being seen, we think they've already moved into lock down. We saw a few bucks but most of them were glued to a doe. Hopefully they'll take care of business and get back to moving around.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by TCB
, we think they've already moved into lock down. .

TCB that is exactly what I think is going on as well. Things got crazy on camera for a few days and then all of the action stopped and the big boys disappeared. The only thing that may be contrary to that point is that I have a pack of does and one of them still has her 2 yearlings with her. I've seen smaller bucks chasing them around but she isn't receptive and the babies are still in-tow

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 09:53 PM

We obviously saw the opposite of lock down this weekend. But bucks are expanding their ranges so they have gone somewhere else. One I got above only showed up Sat for first time on my camera. TGT had him at his stand week before and before that he was at another of our guys stand. All are 1/2 a mile from each other. They can move miles up there this of year if they need to.

Anyone south of Nocona off Rock Springs School enjoy the tannerite and machine gunning all weekend? We are far enough away so no big deal but man I would not want to be close to that guy. They were going nuts 12:30 am Sat night. Sunday morning too.

Re: Montague county - 11/12/18 11:59 PM

Really nice bucks there, Txduckman! Congrats!

Re: Montague county - 11/13/18 04:07 PM

I feel so blessed to be married to my wife that understands and most of the time supports my passion for hunting. This year has been super slow in terms of me being able to get out and actually hunt, due to family obligations. I was only able to hunt one weekend during bow season and once so far during rifle season (past weekend). Well, our anniversary is this Saturday and I'm trying to figure out how I can finagle a way to be able to celebrate with her and hunt, e.g. lets make it a weekend get away at the lease. She bought this idea a few seasons ago but definitely a no go for this year. frown

Well without prodding, she just said why don't we just do dinner Friday night and you can go hunt the rest of the weekend! On top of that, she gave me a pass on having to go with her to AL to pick up the mother in law during Thanksgiving. Can you say 4 day hunting trip. While I'll be sad this will be the first Thanksgiving day we won't spend together in nearly 20 years. I'm kinda geeked out about being in the stands. I think her thinking is that I'll be so worn out with hunting that'll I'll be around a lot more during December to do the honey do's.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Montague county - 11/13/18 04:22 PM

Nice deer, let us know what he scores.. up

Re: Montague county - 11/16/18 02:06 AM

Good luck this weekend. Headed out at lunch tomorrow. Trying to keep big young bucks alive now that I am done. roflmao Or my boy can take a spike or doe. We will have a full camp so will do the cooking. Got 7 lbs of shaved steak for cheesesteaks. food

Re: Montague county - 11/17/18 08:10 PM

I sat this morning and didn't see a thing. Activity has slowed down at my place. What are y'all seeing this week?

Re: Montague county - 11/17/18 10:00 PM

I shot a buck this morning just across the river in Jefferson Co, Ok

Rut is still on.

Had 4 bucks chasing this morning.

There were 7 doe out and all bucks after 1 doe

So maybe Peak has passed

Re: Montague county - 11/17/18 11:04 PM

Just had a 3 yr old 8 stop by. Dripping hocks. Saw a 6 chasing doe last night. Slept in this morning. Looking for a pig to shoot.

Description: 8
Attached picture Screenshot_20181117-170159_Gallery.jpg

Re: Montague county - 11/18/18 06:42 PM

Still been slow for us. Seeing some smaller bucks but nothing mature. I sure hope this lockdown ends soon.

Re: Montague county - 11/19/18 04:06 AM

For the past two days I watched a nice 4.5 year old 8 point fend off three younger bucks circling his doe. Watched this 45 minutes Friday and about 30 minutes on Saturday.

Re: Montague county - 11/19/18 03:19 PM

Hunted pretty hard this weekend. Saturday saw a lot of movement - young bucks cruising together and does didn't seem to be interested. No big bucks.
Sunday - no does as all. Very odd. I was only able to hunt Sunday morning - deer count. 7 bucks in the morning after 7:30 AM, all young: button, spikes through 5 points. I saw a large 8 hauling butt chasing something at around 10:00 AM, he was a shooter. I wasn't quick enough and I probably shouldn't have been playing Candy Crush. I got down at 11:00 and walked up on two young bucks, or rather they walked up on me. We had a stare down at less than 25 yards. Pretty cool to be that close, they just walked off.

This weekend should be better. My biggest bucks taken off my lease has always been around mine or my wife's birthday 11/20 - 11/21. Needless to say I'm heading to the lease tomorrow evening!

Re: Montague county - 11/21/18 11:17 PM

Lots of activity this week. Mostly small bucks running the does or grabbing a bite to eat.

I shot this buck this morning and pig on Monday. Wild Country Game Processing in Lindsay was stuffed to capacity and unable to take any more animals. Freezer was full and mine will be too soon. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 01:11 AM

Congrats! Nice Oreo. Fischers in Munester... Will be out Friday for some doe patrol.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 01:14 AM

[Linked Image]

Looks like one I have been seeing

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 01:28 AM

We stopped by Wild Game today. He took in 3x the normal amount of deer opening weekend and they keep coming. He said he’ll probably turn away 100 deer by this weekend. Tough problem to have but he’d rather turn them away than have them hanging outside and ruin.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 01:35 AM

Are they better than Fischers and why? Fischers did a heck of a job last year. Very moist sausages.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 02:02 AM

I've never used Fischer's until today but Eric Ramsey at Wild Game is a great guy and always provides a great service. He remembers my name each year and does a great job on taxidermy so I've always used him. He has more options to choose from with regards to processing than Fischer's but I hear Fischer's has really great sausage. Both are good options.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 02:06 AM

Never had anything done at Fischer’s but a friend and another guy took red stags to them earlier this year. They both had to throw away the meat because it was so bad. The end point of hunting is to have food for the family and friends. I’d rather cut up my own steaks vs. risking bad processing.

I think he said he should be able to take deer again after this weekend. I know they’re cranking out deer as fast as they can.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 02:18 AM

I have been using Fischers since 2007. Never had an issue. People drive from all over to use them. Any issue should be brought to their attention. I would like to try Wild Game sometime though.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 10:30 AM

I quit Fischers about 5 years ago. I went by there and saw butchers cutting up multiple deer and tossing the meat into a common pile.

Grandson and I will be hunting my place South of Bowie this weekend. I have been way too tied up to go since opening weekend. Cams show that my deer went nocturnal opening day. I'm hopeful.

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 03:53 PM

I got it done yesterday. A hot doe came screaming across an open field at about 150yd and he was trailing. I was able to stop him for a second with a couple grunts and send a round down range.

For the processer discussion, everyone that has tried Fischers only or has mixed reviews I would highly recommend Hess Meats in Muenster. They are top notch.

Happy Thanksgiving hunters.

[Linked Image]

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 05:12 PM

Nicely done!!!!! I started seeing more bucks at the feeders Tuesday evening. I'm hoping the "lockdown" is starting to wain and get deer back to more normal patterns.
Posted By: LG

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I quit Fischers about 5 years ago. I went by there and saw butchers cutting up multiple deer and tossing the meat into a common pile.

Grandson and I will be hunting my place South of Bowie this weekend. I have been way too tied up to go since opening weekend. Cams show that my deer went nocturnal opening day. I'm hopeful.

This^^^ you do not get your deer when you take it to Fischers. I have used Hess meat market in Muenster for the last 5 years or so.....you bring your deer in for processing and you get your deer back........

Re: Montague county - 11/22/18 10:23 PM

Congrats Aggieman. We had a nice 11 running around on our cams we had passed on. Our neighbors kid took it Tuesday. Heck of a first buck.

[Linked Image]

Re: Montague county - 11/24/18 12:03 PM

Hunted a feeder yesterday afternoon. Nothing came but walking back to the truck, saw a good buck and took a shot. It jumped up and ran. The jump was when I pulled the trigger and not from the sound of the shot. Looked for quite awhile, in the dark, and didn’t find it. I hate that. Gotta go again this morning. DAMN, I hate doing that.

BTW, still hearing no shots in my area. I still find some acorns and the deer are ignoring feeders during daylight. That started before opening day. No idea why.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/18 07:53 PM

Took this buck this morning. He and few other bucks were chasing a hot doe. There was a bigger that walked out prior to legal light. I wish he would have stayed around but happy with what I have.

Re: Montague county - 11/24/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Las Colinas Hunter
Took this buck this morning. He and few other bucks were chasing a hot doe. There was a bigger that walked out prior to legal light. I wish he would have stayed around but happy with what I have.

Attached picture 48D3953E-CB53-4BF0-A709-7C9A71E8C738.jpeg

Re: Montague county - 11/25/18 12:22 AM

Very nice...lots of mass on that deer.

Re: Montague county - 11/25/18 02:00 PM

Congrats, looking good Las Colinas up

Re: Montague county - 11/25/18 09:37 PM

That's a lot of bone. Congrats! Our guys not seeing too much. Went over to Clay and put some piggies and doe down. Saw a little chasing. One of our guys saw a buck with a doe so as usual, they tend to rut most of Nov.

Re: Montague county - 11/25/18 10:37 PM

Nice buck and congrats!

Re: Montague county - 11/26/18 08:13 PM

Las Colinas & Aggieman - great bucks, nice work! The 3-4 days on either side of Thanksgiving always seems to produce great bucks.

I think I am done for the season. I might take my wife out a couple times to shoot pigs.

Re: Montague county - 11/26/18 08:41 PM

Yeah - I may go back 2 more times with guest and maybe take a doe. But I'm worn out - 7 days of over 9 days is tough.

Re: Montague county - 12/01/18 01:11 PM

Anyone out this weekend? May try to slide a hunt in tomorrow afternoon. Too warm/windy today and I promised to take Momma out on a date this evening.

Re: Montague county - 12/20/18 03:56 PM

Going up tomorrow. How are the deer sightings?

Re: Montague county - 12/20/18 06:43 PM

Pretty slow now rut is over. Kid took a 2.5 year old 7 last weekend..... We have only shot one good buck this late ever out there. I got him after Christmas back in 2014 going after a younger buck. Not eating corn. Does come to corn now that they aren't being chased. Wheat is key late season it seems out there. November was good to us. up Good luck.

Re: Montague county - 12/20/18 07:11 PM

I have two good bucks showing up on my camera, but haven't been able to connect. First decent bucks I've seen all year.

Re: Montague county - 12/20/18 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Red Pill
I have two good bucks showing up on my camera, but haven't been able to connect. First decent bucks I've seen all year.

Good luck getting him. You feeding protein as well? They are 100% inconsistent consistently this late for us. They seem to hit wheat at night and hunker down all day.

Re: Montague county - 12/21/18 02:24 AM

We pulled cards and filled feeders today. Nothing coming out during daylight, so we went to Doc’s for a beer. This is getting really frustrating!!!!

Re: Montague county - 12/21/18 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Glassangler
Killed lots of bucks from nov5th - nov13th
You won't catch me anywhere else between those dates
After about the 20th it just drops off

Going back over game pics I saved and what we shot, this was the peak. 9th to the 11th. At least at the stand I hunted. I have a deep creek and smaller one they can pen the doe against.

Re: Montague county - 12/21/18 02:18 PM

Good luck getting him. You feeding protein as well? They are 100% inconsistent consistently this late for us. They seem to hit wheat at night and hunker down all day.

Just corn. Pics show them during the day

Re: Montague county - 12/21/18 10:05 PM

Havent been in 2 weeks. My target buck was shot by someone else and since then, buck activity has been almost non existent. Going in the morning, will take a doe if a good one shows up.

Re: Montague county - 08/06/20 12:21 AM

Has it really been 2 seasons since the last post?!

Anyways, how are things looking this year? Any big prospects on your cameras?

Re: Montague county - 08/06/20 12:00 PM

I haven't even started thinking about it and won't for awhile. At this time, Grandson and buddies are targeting hogs. But, unlike last year, I have dang few acorns so should see a lot more action at feeders.
Posted By: bbqfan5909

Re: Montague county - 08/06/20 08:33 PM

Looking forward to this season, have lots of does to bring in those bucks!
Posted By: Scott.Str

Re: Montague county - 08/07/20 12:47 PM

Tagging myself along for the ride

Re: Montague county - 08/14/20 11:27 AM

Last year was pretty slow for me, just didn’t see a lot activity. Fortunately I was able to take a doe and buck. This was also the season on this lease. Land owner was able to get me on piece of property near Capps Corner. So far camera is showing a lot promise / one or two possible shooters.

Anyways I meant to post this buck last season but time just got away. [Linked Image]

Re: Montague county - 08/14/20 01:37 PM

Great buck Las Colinas, we must be really close to one another. Which direction from Capps do you hunt?

Re: Montague county - 08/14/20 07:40 PM

About 1 1/2 miles due East. Also missed and operative word in my last post. This will be the first year near Capps Corner? Last year I was hunting just north of Nocona Hills. Was there for nearly 5 yrs. hoping a little further east will bring some bigger boys.

Where are you at?

Re: Montague county - 08/15/20 02:46 AM

We are right down the road from ya, east of Capps a few miles.

Re: Montague county - 08/17/20 12:36 PM

Just South of Bowie; way too many hogs to even think about slinging corn.
Posted By: Readytogo

Re: Montague county - 08/17/20 08:00 PM

Lots of Quail? That news is as welcome as rain.
Posted By: preston629

Re: Montague county - 08/18/20 04:39 PM

my lease is just west of capps corner, up union cemetery rd.

Went out last wknd sent up my stand, filled the feeder and put new batts in the game cam. Excited to see whats coming in. I was chasing a huge 6 last year that I never got a chance at. Curious to see what he is this year.
Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: Montague county - 08/18/20 06:08 PM

We hunt just south of Saint Jo....not seeing alot on cameras....so far
Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: Montague county - 08/18/20 06:09 PM

delete

Re: Montague county - 08/27/20 08:02 PM

Dang it, just got on the new lease this January and didn't even make it to the hunting season before I've lost the lease. Fortunately and will see if it holds, the current owner is writing in or requesting with the new owner to let me finish out the season.

I hope I can stay on through this season because I've put in a lot of work - blind, feeder, pens, move of travel trailer and equipment. Silver lining is the land owner is lining me up on potentially two new spots, one for next year with possibility of getting on this year and a new piece of property he's buying now. Probably wouldn't close until close to opening gun season.

So the question for this group, should I jump off this land and try to set up one of the others the land owner has if they come available this year. Ughhh.

Re: Montague county - 08/28/20 05:06 PM

For this season, just pack up and move on. Do not waste any more money on this place. If the previous owner has a good new property then follow him and start fresh from the ground up on the new place and build on a long term relationship with.

Re: Montague county - 08/31/20 03:30 AM

Well I was able to get the other lease for this season but won’t be able to get on it till Oct 1. Still staying on the current lease through Dec. fortunately the leases are about 20 miles apart. Will make for a short move.

Re: Montague county - 09/11/20 01:57 PM

Checking the pics daily, all of the sudden last week the big bucks stopped showing up. Are the bachelor groups already starting to break up? I still have a few younger bucks showing up together? Very odd.

Re: Montague county - 09/12/20 11:37 AM

Grandsons are coming today. First job is work on tractor. Then drive Tposts around pond and install electric fence tape to deter cormorants. They have hit my bigger pond pretty hard in the past. Then, if time permits fill feeders, etc.

Still haven’t had time to cut firewood but I did take time to do a little fishing yesterday
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum