Texas Hunting Forum

Digging deer.

Posted By: Sneaky

Digging deer. - 02/27/14 10:36 PM

I just saw ten deer, does and their youngins, in a dried up stock tank, pawing at the dirt and eating something. Think there's some minerals in there that they're after, or something else?

Re: Digging deer. - 02/27/14 10:36 PM

Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Digging deer. - 02/27/14 10:46 PM

Diggin for water
Posted By: 4D RANCH

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 12:16 AM

Deer have to eat a certain amount of dirt for their digestive system to work right. My guess is the soil in the dry tank was just softer and easier access. I have also seen them eating dirt on the edges of fresh plowed fields.

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey
Diggin for water

They'd have a long ways to dig.

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: 4D RANCH
Deer have to eat a certain amount of dirt for their digestive system to work right. My guess is the soil in the dry tank was just softer and easier access. I have also seen them eating dirt on the edges of fresh plowed fields.

That makes sense. There's not much but rock out here.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 01:20 AM

My guess without seeing the bottom of the tank is that there are some winter weeds/grasses growing in the bottom. If there was any run off into the tank that bottom would hold water the longest before it went dry. When I hunted in Stonewall and Kent counties we had several dirt tanks that were put at the top end of those red washes to slow water and erosion. They held water for a while. They always had green growth and deer in December when I hunted there if they had enough rain to run some water into them.

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 01:29 AM

They were all over the tank, but mostly on the top or near the top of the dam. Also, I saw deer out all day today.
Posted By: 4D RANCH

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
My guess without seeing the bottom of the tank is that there are some winter weeds/grasses growing in the bottom. If there was any run off into the tank that would hold water the longest before it went dry. When I hunted in Stonewall and Kent counties we had several dirt tanks that were put at the top end of those red washes to slow water and erosion. They held water for a while. They always had green growth and deer in December when I hunted there if they had enough rain to run some water into them.

That may very we'll be if there was some green sprouting up. I have seen some wild rye coming up around here in the draws and dry creek bottoms.
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
They were all over the tank, but mostly on the top or near the top of the dam. Also, I saw deer out all day today.

Glad to hear the deer were moving. I'll be varmint hunting this weekend and wouldn't mind seeing some of what made it through last year.
Posted By: Western

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 10:41 AM

I wonder if there is some dry duckweed in there?
Posted By: Wesomac

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 12:55 PM

Never heard deer "had to eat dirt"
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 01:54 PM

I have seen fawns eating "dirt" before. I was told they eat it to help build their immune system.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 02:18 PM

I watched a doe chewing on a rock for almost half an hour once.

And then I shot her.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: 4D RANCH

I never knew this.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 03:12 PM

^^^^^^^
Thought this was a dove thing only not a deer thing...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

And then I shot her.

Gotta remove those genetics roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have seen fawns eating "dirt" before. I was told they eat it to help build their immune system.

Seems like that could be a dangerous deal in anthrax country no? Doesn't it stay in the dirt?
Posted By: Wapitinimrod

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 04:34 PM

From what I have learned, cervids, deer, elk, moose will eat dirt bone brouse based on
Essential vitamins and minerals there are in need of. On serveral occations I have witnessed
Bone and dirt eating by deer and elk. My best answer
Posted By: Western

Re: Digging deer. - 02/28/14 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

And then I shot her.

DON'T CHEW ROCKS AT CAMERONS PLACE!

You have been warned!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum