Texas Hunting Forum

Hunt ruined by hogs. What runs them off? Lasers? :)

Posted By: Martin M.

Hunt ruined by hogs. What runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 06:55 PM

So, I had a chance to snag a morning hunt this last weekend, and really wanted to get one more doe in the freezer. However, a group of hogs were waiting under the feeder, mouths open, when it went off. Every time they're in there before the deer, they keep the deer away, and I rarely see a single one.

Anyway, that got me to thinking of ways I could run them off, without spooking the deer.

If I had a laser pointer or something and kind of shined it in their eyes, would that run them off?

Any other ideas?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 06:57 PM

a feed pen
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
a feed pen

Or throw some lead their way
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
a feed pen

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
a feed pen

both
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 07:51 PM

a feed pen
Posted By: themoonrulz

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 07:54 PM

How come you didn't take one down? The rest of the gang would remember what happened would most likely not come back to that feeder for a while.
Posted By: 1riot1ranger

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: themoonrulz
How come you didn't take one down? The rest of the gang would remember what happened would most likely not come back to that feeder for a while.

yep. shoot one and stay in your blind until your normal time to leave. the hogs will leave and won't be back for a while. You said your hunt is already ruined and most likely hearing one shot isn't going to affect the deer near as much as a bunch of hogs under the feeder.
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:09 PM

a feed pen

x2

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:32 PM

Yeah, I guess shooting one wouldn't have kept the deer away any more than what I did, which was to let them hoover up all the corn, and be annoying.

I'm not crazy about a pen around the feeder. It kind of makes it a pain to fill, and if you shoot a deer inside it, it makes it a pain to get them out.

We actually did shoot a lot of them back in October and November, and it did keep them away from the feeders for quite a while. I'd call that a proactive method. I guess what I was asking was, if there's a way to run them off if they end up coming in to the feeder unexpectedly. If I were close enough, a blowgun dart in a few of their backsides might do the trick...
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:32 PM

Put a pen around your feeder and when you see a hog, you shoot it.

Hogs remember and stay away from hunting pressure

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:38 PM

Pain to fill? Just leave a panel hand wired so you can open it like a gate.. and I don't shoot a deer while its in the pen anyway
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:42 PM

a feed pen

This ^^^^^ and bullets.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:46 PM

supressor
Posted By: CHRIS1981

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:47 PM

Pen around feeder with a small 4 foot gate.. Shoot a deer , open the gate and drag it out.. just my 2cents
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 08:49 PM

rifle
Posted By: Snmcc

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 09:03 PM

Slingshot?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: txshntr
a feed pen

both
Don't worry about scarring them off (deer). They will eat corn within 5 yards of a dead hog. Its happened to me more times than I can count. Never let a hog walk that you can kill. The deer would thank you if they could and the landowner certainly will.

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Snmcc
Slingshot?

lol that would be funny
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 10:12 PM

Shoot em, two weekends ago I had a coyote show up to my feeder 2 minutes before it went off. Figured that the hunt was wrecked due to the coyote showing up so I shot it. Not 10 minutes later the deer showed up like it never happened. Gunshots won't spook deer as bad as you think.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 11:39 PM

A hunter I used to hunt with bought a high powered air rifle to shoot the cows to run them off. It also worked for the pigs. But I'd recommend a heavy lead bullet type!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/20/14 11:44 PM

I wouldn't suggest shooting a cow with an airgun. You might be looking for a new lease. Just shoot the pig through the chest. It will run off and die, the rest will leave and the deer will not care. Then you will have some pork to mix with your deer meat for sausage.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/21/14 01:35 AM

I have shot a hog and drug it off about 30 yards and had deer come in a couple minutes later. Heck, I have killed deer and had more deer come in a few minutes later.
Posted By: bowassin

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/21/14 01:46 AM

I use a heavy lead bullet type on pigs it's 7mm rem mag
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/21/14 02:42 AM

Let me guess.....from a Savage? LOL
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/21/14 03:47 AM

What you need is one of those new feeder drones. That'll do the trick.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/21/14 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake

^^^^this x1000, well worth the money, have two cousins that swear by'em, i'll be picking one or two up this summer.
Posted By: Huntsmanda

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/21/14 04:41 PM

muyloco Winner.

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/21/14 07:09 PM

What is a feeder drone? Not sure I'm familiar with that…

I like the air rifle and slingshot ideas, though. I'll try that.

I think y'all are right on the money, though, with shooting them. It definitely did keep them at bay when we were hammering them back before deer season. And I'd rather take one down and risk ruining the hunt, than let them keep on keepin' on, and have them for sure ruin my hunt.

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/22/14 02:43 PM

lol
Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/22/14 07:10 PM

Feeder Drones are the new rage

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4924702/1

Shoot as many of the pigs as you can!!!!! Heavier the lead the better....
Posted By: ChipChipperson45

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/22/14 10:33 PM

Shoot em. I've had deer still come to the feeder after dropping a big pig.
Posted By: tailgunner

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/22/14 10:35 PM

lmao!
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/23/14 08:35 PM

Around here if you see a hog you're pretty much obligated to shoot it. We need to kill as many as we possibly can according to TPWD in order to keep the population where it is we need to kill 7 out of every 10 hogs that we already have, and the odds of killing that many is slim to none.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/23/14 09:52 PM

After shooting two in October almost in the same spot under my feeder, hogs didn't hang around much after that during the day, and went nocturnal. I will start shooting at night this weekend until they adjust to the white light, then I'll change to my green or red light! Wild hogs are not as stupid as some people think!
Posted By: TXHogger

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/23/14 10:47 PM

really? we shot a hog this year and within 10 minutes the entire sounder was right back at the feeder. would have taken another but the one we shot "miraculously" recovered so we had to finish the job on her.
Posted By: Chuck P

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/27/14 11:52 AM

Not always true. At our place if you want 2 hogs you shoot one leave it lay and wait 15-30 minutes and they will show back up and you can take another. I have watched them eat corn right by their dead buddies.

We have half our feeders with pens and half without. If you pen everything then you really do battle with the hogs. Gotta give them something or they will find a way to take it.
Posted By: min1kay2

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/27/14 01:58 PM

I am going to try and use a laser pointer to see if it works, sounds interesting. I do use a sling shot on cows when bow hunting, with the land owners permission too.
Our deer scatter to the wind when they hear a shot and wont come back for 30 minutes at least.
If there is still 30-60 minutes of hunting left and hogs show up, to shoot one will end the deer hunt, leaving them is no better, running them off may give you a chance.
I will shoot the hogs when I see them. If I wait for deer to show up, what I get is the same group of hogs coming back, I just keep shooting.
Posted By: TXHogger

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/27/14 02:01 PM

I think this guy has it figured out. You should try this. I bet it will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6An3neXoLho

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/31/14 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: min1kay2
I am going to try and use a laser pointer to see if it works, sounds interesting. I do use a sling shot on cows when bow hunting, with the land owners permission too.

Let me know if the laser pointer works. The slingshot sounds like a winner, too. I'll have to practice, though, if I'm going to lob something at them from 120 yards away!
Posted By: Rollandshoot

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 01/31/14 04:56 PM

I've used my green laser before on accident. It has a pressure switch and nothing likes it. Every deer, hog, coon, coyote, or bird has run when I put the laser on em. But deer seem to see it more easily than anything else. And they hate it...
Posted By: splash556

Re: Hunt ruined by hogs… what runs them off? Lasers? :) - 02/02/14 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHogger

really? we shot a hog this year and within 10 minutes the entire sounder was right back at the feeder.
Originally Posted By: Chuck P

Not always true. At our place if you want 2 hogs you shoot one leave it lay and wait 15-30 minutes and they will show back up and you can take another. I have watched them eat corn right by their dead buddies.

^^This^^ My experience is alot of the time shooting one will move the sounder on but other times if you stay in your stand the others may come back in 15-30 minutes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum