Texas Hunting Forum

who has hung it up for the year?

Posted By: txtrophy85

who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 08:50 PM

show of hands.

after this trip I may have one or two more deer trips in me. We will see.

May pass up the deer blind for the duck blind
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 08:55 PM

Yep... don't want to.. but have to work the rest of the season... time to prepare for bass fishing now!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 09:04 PM

I don't quit until I'm out of tags or out of time. But this year has got me just about ready to be done between work and everything else that's kept me from hunting much.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 09:04 PM

Still got a lot of season left. Still hunting till the last afternoon of ML season for me.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 09:07 PM

Never...
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 09:10 PM

Gonna hit it hard for next 8 days. Denton Cnty this am. Parker Cnty tomorrow. Then back to Denton Cnty.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 09:26 PM

Just getting started crazy

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Never...

Certainly not in east Texas. Year round, 24/7.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 10:10 PM

9 more days to get it done for us.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 10:34 PM

Headed back out again tomorrow thru Monday.

Sneaky, you ain't got enough meat yet?
Posted By: doublez

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 10:44 PM

I hunted for the last time this morning, I go under the knife next Thursday and we are taking our family vacation starting today until Wednesday. I'm hoping to be able to take my son out during the youth season.

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight
Headed back out again tomorrow thru Monday.

Sneaky, you ain't got enough meat yet?

Not quite.
Posted By: pmnitro

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/27/13 10:59 PM

Done for this season.
Sergery 12/24. Yes, Christmas Eve. Known now as a Hydrocone Christmas. A bit blurry. Back on my feet in 2-3 months.
Perfect. Fishing and turkey season.
Had rotator cuff repair last January so, deductible is met. Had to get it done.
Otherwise, I would be there now although my Llano deer are tired of being molested and ready to be left alone.
Can't complain. Had a good year....
Posted By: Texpolo1106

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 12:22 AM

Not just yet. Should be able to hit it next weekend. Could be a whole different story if I had a duck spot to hunt.
Posted By: Loden

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 01:23 AM

I haven't deer hunted much since wife and son scored on their bucks Thanksgiving week. Son and I have been varmint hunting, and I am waiting to get a doe or two when the muzzleloader season opens. We are gonna start trying to shoot some ducks and squirrels.
Posted By: Hybridmoose

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 01:31 AM

Not yet!
Posted By: jshouse

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 01:55 AM

Not yet, I burned some vacation so after tomorrow the only day I have to work between now and the 5th is Wednesday. I've have some unfinished business.
Posted By: skidmore88

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 02:22 AM

I'll keep hope alive until the last day.
Posted By: enock

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 02:28 AM

Not me! I'm just now starting to see deer! Been hunting HARD since opening day.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 02:54 AM

I'm out
Posted By: Lotto

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 03:22 AM

Brother went up to the farm this weekend looking for this guy..........

Posted By: majekman

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 04:18 AM

We're done. Unfortunately my 11yo grandson, who is my designated shooter, came home with a couple horrible grades at beginning of holiday break. I've always had him on the no pass, no hunt, no fish plan and that won't change. He's really bummed out and so am I. I look so forward to our trips together. Hopefully this will make an impression on him. He is a humbled young man these days.
Posted By: therancher

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: majekman
We're done. Unfortunately my 11yo grandson, who is my designated shooter, came home with a couple horrible grades at beginning of holiday break. I've always had him on the no pass, no hunt, no fish plan and that won't change. He's really bummed out and so am I. I look so forward to our trips together. Hopefully this will make an impression on him. He is a humbled young man these days.
thats awesome!! Your grandson will reap great personal rewards because you gave him structure, consistency and consequences. That's not as fun as hunting, but immeasurably more important.

Oh and for the op. Texas hunting season never ends. So we don't either.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 11:42 AM

I was done a little over two weeks ago when Mrs. B took her second buck, our freezer is full. We'll probably book an exotic hunt next spring, then it's back to our fishing schedule until fall.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 01:41 PM

Tagged out and done on deer, first time to do that in awhile actually. Still like and afternoon set when I can to see what is still coming in.
Posted By: Harveymushman

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 01:50 PM

I have taken nice bucks late in the season many times, but this year we just haven't seen any big bucks since the rut in November. I know I get depressed as the season draws to a close. Nothing I enjoy more in life than deer season. Hopefully I get in at least two more hunts.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 03:47 PM

Just getting warmed up. MLD season runs until the end of Feb. cheers
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 03:53 PM

Never EVER give up!!! wink
Here in east Texas, the big boys are run down and hungry. They're probably more predictable now than they've been since early October. Starting to come to feeder pretty regular.
Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 03:56 PM

I am hunting for myself this weekend. I havn't killed a deer in 15 years or more. It will have to be a good one for me to drop the hammer on.
Posted By: yellowboat04

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 04:18 PM

I have not seen any antlers since Thanksgiving morning, but I will not give up until the end.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 06:05 PM

I still have a spike to kill.. rifle
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 06:15 PM

Nope, just starting to get serious about it.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 06:20 PM

ME!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm probably gonna get 1 more trip in next week hopefully. Bandera for WT. But, I won't be hunting.

Gonna try and pull together a group pheasant hunt. And dove hunts.

But for deer, I'm done.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 10:53 PM

Sitting in a tree right now up in Marion County.

Got one nice 8 pt last month in Baylor County and one doe way back in the first week of the season back in October. Drew back on a nice 8 pt last week in Rusk County. Arrow nock came off the string as I drew back. That really sucked.

Will head to Baylor County on New Years Eve to close the season. It has been a good one, although at times frustrating!

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 11:00 PM

We are seeing the effects of a bad fawn crop a couple years in a row. Haven't seen but one shooter buck and I think he is gonna get a pass

Gonna finish the season with a couple of doe bow hunts. Killing a deer period with a bow is tough. Got busted twice this morning drawing back.
Posted By: jcarroll3

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/28/13 11:18 PM

Filled Tags Completely this year with my bow! Been a good year, so I am done for the year hunting.. although I think I have been in the woods more scouting lately than I even spent hunting this year. I am a little bit obsessed! Cant wait till next year
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 12:22 AM

Haven't decided yet! Freezer is just about full. May go just for buck look. If it's just freezer we've got a special doe & spike season until Jan 19th
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 12:28 AM

Knee surgery on the 26th was poorly the end of my year. We don't need any more meat so I'd have to know one of the big boys are showing up to even think about trying.
Posted By: Curly

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 01:45 AM

Freezer's full of venison (a Somervell Co. 8 point and a Wood Co. doe)but I'll be going back New Year's day and finish the season mainly just to hang out with family and friends. Maybe watch my feeder for a hog.
Posted By: tailgunner

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 01:54 AM

not me
Posted By: txshntr

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 01:56 AM

I plan on fighting it out until the last hour taz
Posted By: 4D RANCH

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 04:10 AM

Still hunting deer but mainly getting ready to go after the yotes really hard for a while! We have a good crop of deer killers this year that need to be thinned out before fawning season. Then there's the pigs that have to be kept in check. Then we will try to get some turkey hunts in when we need a break from fishing and next thing you know it will be opening day of dove season. No rest LoL grin
Posted By: Gusval

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 04:48 AM

Mine ended the 1st week of December. Not winning a stand during Camp Bullis and my job had me working every weekend while taking college course. NOw loosing my job my job kind of puts a damper on hunting.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 07:07 AM

I and my 15 year old son said "to heck with it" at 5:37 pm today. Next time we hunt we will do our best to reduce the varmint population of the state if Texas.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: 4D RANCH
Still hunting deer but mainly getting ready to go after the yotes really hard for a while! We have a good crop of deer killers this year that need to be thinned out before fawning season. Then there's the pigs that have to be kept in check... grin

Sounds like we are kindred souls!
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 01:19 PM

Hard to say. My trophy and my cull are down on Spade. Two of my hunters are still after their trophies. I darn near lost my life in pursuit of my trophy, so maybe I need to call it quits while I am ahead.

Honestly, I may give it all up after this season. Never have I been griped out so many times in a hunting season for the absolute smallest things. This year has been hard, personally, and it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I woke yesterday morning to my best friend and long time hunting buddy tearing me a new one about gutting my buck at the feeder. Kiss my butt! I was so sick it took me 3 hours to gut it, and even after that, I was so weak I couldn't get him in my truck.

Very tempted to take all the hunting gifts that he has given me over the past 20 years and go put them on his porch with a note that says "thanks. hunting was the only pleasure I had in life, and you have ruined it for me".

Last night I loaded all that crap in my truck to take to his house this morning. Even took my first deer, a Spike, that I shot when he was with me when we were 8, and I broke the heck out of it last night. Mud stomped it to pieces, put it in a box with a note that says "as you know, this thing was my most valued possession in life. this is what you have driven me to".

Sorry for the rant, just been one of them years. Hunting is usually my only escape from the BS, but it seems to have actually made my depression worse this year. Probably going to call my taxidermist and processor to tell them I won't be picking up my trophy or meat. Hopefully Lonnie can sell my buck and get the money he put into it back. If he give me grief, I'll take him every mount that he has done for me back and tell them to sell them for his own profit.

Never thought I would be saying/typing anything like this

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 04:54 PM

So you smashed your first kill because you and your friend got into an argument over a gut pile?
Posted By: Cast

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 05:17 PM

Wow man that's a lotta drama over just a gut pile in the wrong place. I think you did no wrong until you lost control over tha arse chewing. I think your buddy was over the line but friends allow that occasionally. I say put the stuff back where it belongs and get whatever y'all enjoy drinking and get drunk with him. Then and only then tell him about smashing y'all's mount. I bet he laughs his arse off about that. Now y'all got another reason to go make more gut piles to argue about. That dude knows all about you and still wants to be your friend. Don't throw that away.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: majekman

BRAVO Sir!! clap That is how it should be, I've been that way with my kids since the beginning. It works. Grandkids will get the same treatment.

We had a decent deer season this year, now gearing up for hogs and yotes.
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 05:48 PM

Had not planned to, but had to. Between recovering and now work, no time left. Work 12 hour nite shifts next 3 days and season ends Dec 31.
That is for deer. Have a hog hunt scheduled down there in about 10 days. Hope to add pork to my venison supply.
Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 05:55 PM

I am done, punched all the tags I want or need. I plan to go yote and cat calling - going to try to kill one with a bow this winter. Other than that it will be shooting foam targets till elk season 2014.
Posted By: therancher

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Csddarden
Hard to say. My trophy and my cull are down on Spade. Two of my hunters are still after their trophies. I darn near lost my life in pursuit of my trophy, so maybe I need to call it quits while I am ahead.

Honestly, I may give it all up after this season. Never have I been griped out so many times in a hunting season for the absolute smallest things. This year has been hard, personally, and it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I woke yesterday morning to my best friend and long time hunting buddy tearing me a new one about gutting my buck at the feeder. Kiss my butt! I was so sick it took me 3 hours to gut it, and even after that, I was so weak I couldn't get him in my truck.

Very tempted to take all the hunting gifts that he has given me over the past 20 years and go put them on his porch with a note that says "thanks. hunting was the only pleasure I had in life, and you have ruined it for me".

Last night I loaded all that crap in my truck to take to his house this morning. Even took my first deer, a Spike, that I shot when he was with me when we were 8, and I broke the heck out of it last night. Mud stomped it to pieces, put it in a box with a note that says "as you know, this thing was my most valued possession in life. this is what you have driven me to".

Sorry for the rant, just been one of them years. Hunting is usually my only escape from the BS, but it seems to have actually made my depression worse this year. Probably going to call my taxidermist and processor to tell them I won't be picking up my trophy or meat. Hopefully Lonnie can sell my buck and get the money he put into it back. If he give me grief, I'll take him every mount that he has done for me back and tell them to sell them for his own profit.

If any of that up there makes any sense to you.... seriously, go get some professional help.
Posted By: EricShelton

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 06:12 PM

God Bless
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 06:26 PM

I've tagged 3 so far. I still have some LAMPS tags that need to be used, but I'm pretty burnt out on deer. I'd rather kill some piggies.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: EricShelton

God Bless
X2. Funny how hunting teaches us patience, yet we can't insert it into our lives. wink
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 06:32 PM

I can't even put another steak in my freezers. I need to wait until our new house is completed in February to get more freezer space. Hopefully, can make some sausage and finish processing everything. Then, hoping to book an exotic hunt in April/May for either an Axis or Black Buck. A new freezer seems to be in my future.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/29/13 06:53 PM

Still a few days before the fat lady sings and I intend to get in a few more hunts before she does.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/30/13 03:38 AM

Seasons not over and I still have tags
Posted By: sww

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/30/13 03:50 AM

I feel like my season's just beginning after working so hard to get my boy his deer. Lucky I'm on a level 3.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/30/13 12:02 PM

Boy I need to hang it up. Spent over 16 hours in the blind two days after Christmas without seeing nothing but a Jackrabbit twice
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: who has hung it up for the year? - 12/30/13 08:22 PM

I'm good now. Still pissed though. Took butt chewings all week, just didn't need one from him. Ya don't expect the one person you look to for support to perpetuate your problems.

Stress from my job boils over to my personal life, and I shouldn't allow it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum