Texas Hunting Forum

Embarrassed to be a deer hunter

Posted By: Txguy1972

Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:30 AM

This rant is one of the main reasons why landowner's dislike leasing to hunters and many in the general public hate hunters. Most landowners that I talk to where we hunt, only lease because it is a necessary evil to help supplement income. My wife and I left our hunting property today, just as 100's or maybe 1000's of hunters across the state did to come back home. As we pulled onto the main road and drove about a mile, I see the first of many to come, empty corn sacks stuck on the barb wire fence. As we drive a little further down the road, I see 3 or 4 more scattered in the bar ditch and along fences. We hunt in West Texas and drive about 80 miles to get on I20 in Abilene to start back east towards Ft. Worth. During this 80 mile stretch, it was unbelievable the amount of empty corn sacks that were in the bar ditches and stuck on fences. We started stopping and picking up as many was we could, however many had already blown into pastures and we would not cross the fence to get them. Now, the landowner has to come in and clean up after a fellow hunter and sportsman. I don't have a clue to the amount that we picked up, but let's just say had they all been full, I could start a small feed store for deer corn. There are 1000's of miles of road across Texas, that because we are deer hunters, we travel. How many more roads looked like the ones that I traveled today? Deer hunters, well hunters in general already have a "black eye" because of the sport we enjoy so much. It is because of the stupidity of what I saw today that would turn someone that really doesn't care one way or the other about hunting, against us. Look.....please do not interpret this 5 minute spill the wrong way, I am no tree hugger nor am I an advocate of going "green". ( Don't get me started on that) All I am asking is to show a little respect and common courtesy to fellow hunters, sportsman, land owners and the general public.......Please keep the trash we have from deer hunting off the sides of the roads. This is just one more strike against us.

Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:39 AM

most hunters nowadays pay lots of money for leases and dont appreciate what they have. most are "city boys" and do not have a clue of what deer hunting used to be like, before 4 wheelers, before all the gadgets they use. I remember seeing cars coming through town with deer lashed to the trunks and even hoods years ago. today most Texans cant afford a deer lease. when you see a so called hunter driving a $50,000 truck pulling a trailor with $10,000 worth of 4 wheelers and sporting a Texas Trophy Hunters decal, then you can see why the average Texan cant afford to hunt anymore.

Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:42 AM

Did you stop and pick any of the bags up?

Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:45 AM

What does the price of a truck and trailer have to do with affording deer hunting? Maybe he works harder than other people and can afford nicer things...Oh I am sorry, self reliance and self determination went out the door with the latest election!

Where do I sign up for my new goverment issued F-250? Obama is going to save us all...

Posted By: Txguy1972

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:46 AM

If you read my post, you will see where I answered your question.

Posted By: Skunked

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:49 AM

Quote:

Did you stop and pick any of the bags up?

This rant is one of the main reasons why landowner's dislike leasing to hunters and many in the general public hate hunters. Most landowners that I talk to where we hunt, only lease because it is a necessary evil to help supplement income. My wife and I left our hunting property today, just as 100's or maybe 1000's of hunters across the state did to come back home. As we pulled onto the main road and drove about a mile, I see the first of many to come, empty corn sacks stuck on the barb wire fence. As we drive a little further down the road, I see 3 or 4 more scattered in the bar ditch and along fences. We hunt in West Texas and drive about 80 miles to get on I20 in Abilene to start back east towards Ft. Worth. During this 80 mile stretch, it was unbelievable the amount of empty corn sacks that were in the bar ditches and stuck on fences. We started stopping and picking up as many was we could, however many had already blown into pastures and we would not cross the fence to get them. Now, the landowner has to come in and clean up after a fellow hunter and sportsman. I don't have a clue to the amount that we picked up, but let's just say had they all been full, I could start a small feed store for deer corn. There are 1000's of miles of road across Texas, that because we are deer hunters, we travel. How many more roads looked like the ones that I traveled today? Deer hunters, well hunters in general already have a "black eye" because of the sport we enjoy so much. It is because of the stupidity of what I saw today that would turn someone that really doesn't care one way or the other about hunting, against us. Look.....please do not interpret this 5 minute spill the wrong way, I am no tree hugger nor am I an advocate of going "green". ( Don't get me started on that) All I am asking is to show a little respect and common courtesy to fellow hunters, sportsman, land owners and the general public.......Please keep the trash we have from deer hunting off the sides of the roads. This is just one more strike against us.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:53 AM

I was wondering how long it would be before someon brought this one out of the grave.

This has been a yearly rant on this site, and not just the corn sacks throwed out along the roads, but all those that are dropped on the ground beside already full trash cans at our Road Side Rest Areas.

In fact 2 seasons ago I believe, one memeber got totally indignant that he recieved a ticket for littering at a Road Side Park from a GW, that had watched him throw a bunch of empty corn sacks on the ground by an already overflowing trash can.

He felt the GW should have been out in the field trying to catch a real Game law violator, instead of a tired hunter heading home and not wanting to deal with his garbage.

I believe a couple of people even went so far as to suggest that the State, either TxDOT or TP&W should pay for and furnish large dumpsters at the Road Side Parks, so that the hunters across the state would have some place to dump their garbage.

Posted By: Gator Killer

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:54 AM

Posted By: pk1616

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:59 AM

I think this is another area where the few make the many look bad. Unfortunately I wouldn't bet that the "few" read these posts.

I do agree with six though - lots of people love the outdoors and to hunt. I hate to see us further divide a group that needs to be united based on what equipment they like to use. It's no different than having meat hunters and game managers - at the end of the day both love the outdoors and hunting.

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:09 AM

Yes sir and I agree. Also those "few" will never change because they are used to someone else doing their dirty work for them! Whats the answer???

Posted By: Payne

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:15 AM

It's pretty simple, police your area.

Leave it better than you found it.

Posted By: Gator Killer

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:24 AM

Quote:

you right there

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:27 AM

There's quite a few places around that will pay a few cents for empty bags if they haven't been slashed open. The answer will probably end up being you have to pay a deposit on the bags. That may necessitate a change in some animal health control regs, but most bags, if handled carefully are reuseable at least 2 or 3 times.

I use the least expensive bags I can get and they still cost me thirty five cents apiece. Guess what? That expense gets added to the price of a sack of corn. The slobs are huting everybody. JMO.

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:27 AM

MY MY WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A HATER TO FOLKS WHO HAVE WORKED HARD AND MADE ENOUGH MONEY TO AFFORD A FEW OF THE NICER THINGS IN LIFE. YOU THREAD IS FULL OF ASSUMPTIONS AND AND MY ASSUMPTION IS IT'S FULL OF ALOT OF JEALOUSY!!!!!!

Posted By: Payne

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:28 AM

Quote:

MY MY WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A HATER TO FOLKS WHO HAVE WORKED HARD AND MADE ENOUGH MONEY TO AFFORD A FEW OF THE NICER THINGS IN LIFE. YOU THREAD IS FULL OF ASSUMPTIONS AND AND MY ASSUMPTION IS IT'S FULL OF ALOT OF JEALOUSY!!!!!!

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:31 AM

I AGREE WITH YOUR FIRST PARAGRAPH BUT ON THE SECOND COME ON!!!!!!

SO I GUESS THE CORN SACKS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD ARE OBAMAS FAULT TOO!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: klepdo

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:46 AM

We just burn them.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:49 AM

Quote:

We don't always agree, but here we do. I worked my butt off to have a nice Ford truck, good trailer, and even a four wheeler. I hunt with a nice rifle and a great scope. I like "gadgets", calls, rattles, scents, GPS, whatever...

That doesn't make me any more or less of a hunter than when I drove a beat up Chevy (God forbid).

Griping about someone based on what they drive or what they have is as stupid as basing a decision on skin color or religion.......

Posted By: h20thief

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 02:02 AM

I make an effort to ensure the bags dont get left anywhere but the fire pit. I would be one with the nice truck, 4 wheelers on the trailer, and a travel trailer. I can tell you I've spent 15 years working for the FD and I didnt get into it for the $$$.

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 02:05 AM

AMEN SIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: janie

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 02:15 AM

Whatever we pack in, definitely gets packed out.

Posted By: HardWired

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 02:58 AM

Use 'em for the empty beer cans, that way they won't blow out of the truck.

Posted By: HuntingLegend4

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter *DELETED* - 11/10/08 03:44 AM

Post deleted by HuntingLegend4

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 03:50 AM

WHO CARES WHAT CRAP YOU USE TO HUNT WITH????
AS LONG AS YOOUR HUNTING, IT SHOULDN'T MATTER!!!!!

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter *DELETED* - 11/10/08 03:51 AM

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter *DELETED* - 11/10/08 03:56 AM

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 03:58 AM

....just not sure why the anger. Seems like all but one were in agreement on the gear thing....

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 04:01 AM

I just don't get why everyone is making a big deal about it.

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 04:10 AM

One thing you'll figure out as you see these threads is everyone is convicted to their beliefs, which is a great quality. You'll see this on meat hunting versus game management, politics, there's a thread now on hunting vs. shooting. This causes a scuffle now and then on the boards. But at the end of the day, it seems like most can have their debates in the threads but walk away with the common love of hunting and the outdoors. That's JMO though. I haven't been a member long but I've cruised the boards for quite a while, and that's what I've seen.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 04:12 AM

It is not just the hunters. Drive around some of the lakes that are not patrolled very heavily, the boaters and fishermen like to trash their area also.

Our place is on a Farm to Market road and we get the empty corn sacks, beer cases and just plain trash in the bar ditch and in our pasture. It is also one of the reasons we finally quit leasing out for hunting.

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 04:13 AM

And i agree with that. But my question is why do they have to shoot down the first guy that makes a reasonable post and start throwing up arguements?

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 04:16 AM

Quote:

And i agree with that. But my question is why do they have to shoot down the first guy that makes a reasonable post and start throwing up arguements?

Because if not, there would be no discussion threads

Except for "congrats" and "nice pics"

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 04:19 AM

You got me there.

Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 10:45 AM

This thread is kind of all over the place but here are my thoughts.

I personally would not leave my empty corn sack anywhere I'd burn it or take it all the way home. I'm the type if it got away from me in the field with the wind I'd chase it down. Just me.

I understand the old adage the young un's don't understand how it was back in the old days but it is what it is. Fact is a lot of those hunters driving the F250's pulling the nice ATV's went through those days and paid their dues. Their kids aren't (neither are mine) but they did and I did. Not sure how to fix that. But I would not trade my 'miserable' old days for a new F250 and a couple of ATV's either.

Hunting Legend4 you may be beyond your years by a few - a lot of young hunters/outdoors/country kids are. I have two nephews that way and they are great kids, great to work with, great to hunt with, great to be around. I suspect you're much the same but you do need to remember to be respectful at the same time son. Especially, well anytime, but especially at 14.

Posted By: AmoCuernos

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 10:53 AM

Funny thing is... littering was more acceptable
in "the old days" than it is now...

Kind of a conflicting argument. I'm not a litterbug by any means, but 30 years ago no one thought twice about throwing a soda can out the window.

What we need is everyone to still be driving a beat up Bronco and not littering.

Got it.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 11:02 AM

Quote:

What we need is everyone to still be driving a beat up Bronco and not littering.

Make mine a 69-73 Bronco. This is the first time in many years, there's not an old Bronco out back. I've had several.

Posted By: oulufinn

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 12:00 PM

Quote:

Whatever we pack in, definitely gets packed out.

Yep, to the above.

All of this BS about how much someone's truck and gear cost is absurd, and just not the point. I've seen loose bags fly out of old beaters, as well as new trucks. The paycheck doesn't make a slob. A slob makes a slob.

Posted By: FETCH_UP

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 01:52 PM

Yeah it is definitely a disgrace to see the feed sacks all over the road. We pack ours together and then run a wratchet strap around them and take them home. We went by a roadside rest area off of hwy 90 outside of uvalde that had hundreds of empty bags and trash cans overflowing...i dont get it! Take your CRAP home then throw it away! The actions of a few make thousands look bad!

Posted By: Bull_Rope

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 02:43 PM

I agree litter is REALLY an eyesore..and as far as loose corn bags getting away its really irresponsible. I know, it takesa whole couple of extra seconds, but have found that if you roll 5 of the 6 sacs of corn or protien up and stuff the 6th with the rolled up 5 it adds enough weight to keep the bag in your truck bed. Or heck at the very least when permitted save the paper bags and use them to start you mrning and evening campfire. It doesnt take long. Lets keep the countryside clean.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 02:55 PM

Good Post

It takes all of about 3 seconds to fold an empty bag up and stick it in another one.

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 02:59 PM

Yes young man you are right....

As far as wanting the state to pay for dumpsters for camp sites? That will simply increase taxes where they will tax us more than the cost of the progam. This we do not need. Just take the corn bags home and put out by the road so your garbageman can pick them up when they come by. This is what I did this weekend after I filled up my feeders. The cost to me? a 45 second walk to the curb to set out this morning...whew I am sure tired...

To be such slobs is inexcusable. This simply should not happen. All you need to do is to use one sack and then cram all the others into it. Also you should take a couple of large trash sacks with you each time you go hunting so you have something to put your trash in. Please tell me why this is so difficult to do...as far as it blowing out of the back of your truck? PLEASE! You use tiedowns for everything else can you not use the same for this?

Ok enough for my rant...

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 03:29 PM

Good post Txguy1972!

I cannot for the life of me figure out why in the hell people do not strap their garbage down in back of their pickups!

Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 03:42 PM

i've always made it a point to tread lightly. take nothing but photos and memories and leave nothing footprints...

the word has just become a very disrespectful place.

txp

Posted By: taco bender

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 03:48 PM

geeze! you guys can be worst then women. (no pun intended on women) but this sounds like alot of B.S. just clean up and shut up, it's that simple. GOSH!! (my napoleon dynomite impression)

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 03:51 PM

Quote:

Guys. just quit your bickering. i may be young, but i still know we all love the outdoors and to hunt. does it really matter about all this election and the technology we use to hunt? TxGuy1972 was just trying to make a point that there are too many hunters that take what they have for granted. Yes, that is a serious issue that we all need to consider. One careless hunter can ruin all the other hunter's reps. I'm only 14, and yet i can tell you more than you probably know. If you have a problem with this, pm me and we will deal with it.

GET OVER YOUR SELFS!!!!!

Actually the truck references were directed at Patriot not the other guy. No one differs here about the trash...

Be careful about calling people out. I've seen brashness in young men often, almost daily, and know how to take it. Many don't, and could take it differently.

Good hunting

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 04:10 PM

I feel your pain. A part of our lease in Young county where I hunt has a bridge over a live creek just upstream of my stand. FM3109. Every now and then on Sundays I hear hunters stop and throw their trash over the bridge into the creek. Corn sacks and sacks of other hunter camp related garbage. Also deer and hog carcasses. It all usually ends up floating past my blind. Very annoying.

Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 10:49 PM

Quote:

I feel your pain. A part of our least in Young county where I hunt has a bridge over a live creek just upstream of my stand. FM3109. Every now and then on Sundays I hear hunters stop and throw their trash over the bridge into the creek. Corn sacks and sacks of other hunter camp related garbage. Also deer and hog carcasses. It all usually ends up floating past my blind. Very annoying.

That's unacceptable. With all the video technology now days why couldn't the county sheriff set up a little camera there and let it run for a couple of weeks catch them in the act.

They would have the license plate number send them a letter giving them 10 days to come clean up the mess. I suppose there could be weeks go by that it doesn't happen --- might be hard to catch them.

Posted By: llbts1

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/10/08 11:37 PM

Leave it better than you found it---------------Next!!

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/11/08 02:55 AM

Funny how when a kid hits his teenage years, he or she suddenly knows way more than any adult could ever know. I had that happen to me when my 4 sons hit 13. Suddenly they knew everything and couldn't be taught anything. Now they are all between 21 and 26 and just now understanding what I was telling them all those years. Ain't life funny that way?

Posted By: Tres

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/11/08 04:36 AM

Fire does wonder for sacks.

Posted By: Savage

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter *DELETED* - 11/11/08 01:10 PM

I agree with the OP here, if you create the trash it is your job to make sure it gets to a proper disposal site. Why the hell are people so damn lazy?

Every weekend that I go to my lease, I generate a fair bit of trash. When I leave I put any trash bags I have in my truck and take them home for the trash pickup, very simple really.

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/11/08 07:06 PM

Quote:

Funny how when a kid hits his teenage years, he or she suddenly knows way more than any adult could ever know. I had that happen to me when my 4 sons hit 13. Suddenly they knew everything and couldn't be taught anything. Now they are all between 21 and 26 and just now understanding what I was telling them all those years. Ain't life funny that way?

I have been there, as a son and a father. And I have coached for 23 years, and seen it daily. I guess it doesn't rile me like it does some, judging from the PM
s and all.

I visited via PM's with the young man and understand his comments. I do encourage young men and women to speak up and be involved, but caution them to be sure of what they speak. I think that is good advice for all, especially young ones. He seems like a good kid from a hunting oriented good home, he's on the right path.

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/11/08 07:08 PM

AWSOME ADVICE VERNON. GLAD YOU ARE A TEACHER.

Posted By: Cooner

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/11/08 10:53 PM

If your so ashamed, quit deer huntin! Come on, you stopped to pick them up, WOW! Don't be a busy body, only worry about the stuff you can control (like your own trash) and you will add many years to your life.

Posted By: daulongranch

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/12/08 12:41 AM

There isn't anything wrong with stopping to pick up trash. My Jeep club and I used to work long hours keeping 2 sections of highway cleared of other people's trash in the Adopt-a-Highway program. Someone has to do it. The state sure won't send their employees out to pick up trash. It takes us, community service and volunteers to clean up after the jerks that think the world is there dumping ground. I call it being proud of the state you live in and willing to do something about the trash problem.

I have a place in Hunt County. The road I live on is pretty much uncared for except for the 300' of road where I take care of both sides of the road. I pick up the trash and I keep it mowed. I am proud to live in a non-trashed area. For some reason the jerks that live out this way can't throw there litter in the many miles of road that no one takes care of. They think they have to throw there Sonic bags, beer cans and pop bottles out in the only place that is taken care of.

Don't mess with Texas!
I have the sticker on my truck and live up to it.

Posted By: cibolo

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/12/08 12:42 AM

that's part of the problem there are to many out there that don't care about taking care of the land and being good example's of the sport. so if there ain't people out there trying to pick up the lazy sob's slack we all pay in the end,in one way or the other.

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 06:25 AM

Was out today and saw sacks blowing across a pasture, just happened to chance across this post back during the summer. Nine years later and people are still tossing trash...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 12:25 PM

PEOPLE
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: daulongranch
There isn't anything wrong with stopping to pick up trash. My Jeep club and I used to work long hours keeping 2 sections of highway cleared of other people's trash in the Adopt-a-Highway program. Someone has to do it. The state sure won't send their employees out to pick up trash. It takes us, community service and volunteers to clean up after the jerks that think the world is there dumping ground. I call it being proud of the state you live in and willing to do something about the trash problem.

I have a place in Hunt County. The road I live on is pretty much uncared for except for the 300' of road where I take care of both sides of the road. I pick up the trash and I keep it mowed. I am proud to live in a non-trashed area. For some reason the jerks that live out this way can't throw there litter in the many miles of road that no one takes care of. They think they have to throw there Sonic bags, beer cans and pop bottles out in the only place that is taken care of.

Don't mess with Texas!
I have the sticker on my truck and live up to it.
I try to abide by the "Don't mess with Texas", mantra. We've taken care of 8 miles of highway in front of our place for a few years now under adopt-a-highway. I've found condoms, needles, a toilet, tires. Just about anything you can imagine. Self cleaning truck beds leave lots of trash on the roads. If you carry it in, you can carry it out. Some folks don't give s rats behind about anything but themselves. Slobs and trashy mofos pizz me off.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 02:05 PM

I'm very careful about my trash, pretty much to the point of obsession. Now if I could find out which kid left a full pee jug in one of the blinds! We don't offer a bed pan service out there. I think teaching your kid to pick up his trash IS part of teaching a kid how to hunt, and how to live.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 02:37 PM

I hate small town local high school kids. Always trashing up our county road with 30 packs of Keystone Light....
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I hate small town local high school kids. Always trashing up our county road with 30 packs of Keystone Light....

That might be Navasot... roflmao
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

That might be Navasot... roflmao

Keystone?

I have standards sir
Posted By: Stub

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 05:13 PM

This year the hunters have been pretty good around here, have not had to pickup any beer bottles or cans around this stretch of the gravel road up
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/19/17 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:

Make mine a 69-73 Bronco. This is the first time in many years, there's not an old Bronco out back. I've had several.

Yep, everyone should have an old Bronco or two 'out back'. wink If not that..then a Land Cruiser.

I like to keep all three on hand.

Posted By: tlk

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 12:14 AM

I drive 7 hours round trip to our south texas lease many times over the course of a year = rarely do I see corn bags on the side of the road or anywhere else

and WHO resurrects a thread almost ten years old pretty silly IMO
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 03:49 AM

I hunted 21 years in Eastland county on Tudor Rd. 4.5 miles south of I-20 my landowner was like family. He always had camp fire going at camp and was upset if we were running late on Friday he always bought breakfast at Mary's cafe in Strawn people that litter suck but I am proud hunter I think many more good than bad the landowners don't put up with bad ones long. Pryor to this lease me and one of my friends that was also a fireman and a good friend were trying to hunt public land in cass county only to find it flooded the three of us were looking at water and 2 older gentlemen ask what we were doing we said trying to hunt they had a brief discussion and one of them named Fred Meldrum said he had a place we could hunt he drove us about 20 miles put us out and I had a doe about 1hour later.mr. Meldrum said we could hunt rest of that year he would put out extension cord so we could plug in. This lasted about 4 years untill we found lease in Eastland he never charged us one dime!
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 04:29 AM

I really love that last Bronco. You lucky SOB!!! smirk
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 01:58 PM

We put the lights on our front gate this weekend and my 8 year old son noticed all the new trash on the road. I told him that it was hunters that are mostly from out of town. We spent the next our picking up beer cans and corn sacks.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 02:18 PM

When you have property on the highway you really notice how much hunting trash is thrown out. Corn bags, bottles and cans increase during season. We pick up a few times a year and bags as we see them.
Some of the biggest messes I have seen are at rest stops where hunters will dump all of their corn bags full of trash off and just pile it all around the trash can, pretty ugly.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 02:22 PM

I thought throwing beer cans out the window stimulates the economy.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 02:37 PM

Picked up 1/2 a dozen in a five mile stretch two weeks ago. Several years ago we had a slab poured for our shop at the ranch. When we went to town we saw where the last cement truck had stopped right next to our gate in the right of way and dumped what was left before he got on the road. I spend a good couple hours working on getting that busted up and moved so I could shred it again.
Someone dumped a trailer load of old tractor trailer rig tires as well... fortunately the county cleaned those up before I got around to it. Trash comes in all shapes and sizes, not just hunters... but outdoorsmen make up their fare share of the trash as well.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 02:58 PM

Great post, I agree that sacks blowing out of the back of trucks and trailers hacks me off, especially when the members of the First Methodist Church here in Menard are picking our stretch of the highway 87 north of town.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 04:44 PM

I’m an old school guy. Seems pretty clear to me many today have never learned respect for land/landowners. Probably because they have never owned any land themselves (by now most probably even never had any landowners in their family).

Back in the day when we and the folks we knew had deer leases, we always left things better than we found it. Why? More people were closer to the land back then.

As a landowner, I can tell you that maybe 1 in 50 people will respect/treat your land as their own. Even good people. I just don’t think they know any better anymore. I wouldn’t lease my land for love nor money.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I’m an old school guy. Seems pretty clear to me many today have never learned respect for land/landowners. Probably because they have never owned any land themselves (by now most probably even never had any landowners in their family).

Back in the day when we and the folks we knew had deer leases, we always left things better than we found it. Why? More people were closer to the land back then.

As a landowner, I can tell you that maybe 1 in 50 people will respect/treat your land as their own. Even good people. I just don’t think they know any better anymore. I wouldn’t lease my land for love nor money.

^^^^^this, well said Nogalus Prairie up up peep
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter *DELETED* - 11/20/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne

Ditto. Leave no trace. I hunt on one of my closest friend's property (700 acres), and my son and I leave no trace. I'll go back if I see a string from the corn bag. It's not my property.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 09:22 PM

This....

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 09:26 PM

why are we yelling

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: OFBHWG
I AGREE WITH YOUR FIRST PARAGRAPH BUT ON THE SECOND COME ON!!!!!!

SO I GUESS THE CORN SACKS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD ARE OBAMAS FAULT TOO!!!!!!!!!

probably didnt help
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Embarrassed to be a deer hunter - 11/20/17 09:53 PM

That $50k truck mentioned in the original post is now worth $15k and the atv it was towing broke down last Christmas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum