Texas Hunting Forum

God Has Called a Great Man Home

Posted By: Loden

God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:30 PM

I was awakened by a phone call at 12:45 am this morning to the sad news of my Grandpa John Loden passing. He was 92 years old, and up until 2 years ago he was able to enjoy his favorite pass time of hunting. Although this is hard to bare, I am very fortunate, because not too many men have had the opportunity to spend 40 years of their life with their grandfather.

I have a wonderful family, and he has been such a big part of it. My mind has been racing all morning, and all of my thoughts are of the good times we shared together. It is times like these when you realize how much of an inspiration and influence a person has been to you. I know he would take pride in the fact that he played a large part in forming the man I am today.

He would read me the Bible in my youth, and taught me about God. He was a Sunday School Teacher, and the song leader in our small country Church for many years until his failing eyesight and hearing prevented it.

He inspired me to work hard for what I wanted, with stories such as how he and my grandmother, shortly after marrying, worked 5 acres of tomatoes by hand without a tractor. He then used the money from the tomato crop to build his home where he raised his four children, and has resided ever since.

I hunt today on the same old home place where he was born and raised. When he was growing up there were no whitetail deer in our part of the country, but when he returned from Germany after WWII he began to see deer. This resulted in a lifelong passion for deer hunting which we were able to share together. Most of our earlier deer hunts were spent sitting on a tree limb in a bull pine watching a scrape or oak tree dropping acorns, or dragging a deer for miles before we "graduated" to box blinds, corn feeders, four wheelers, and game cameras. Grandpa was a "meat hunter", and nothing went to waste. There is no telling how many times I've seen him just shake his head if someone was not keeping the ribs or neck roast off of a deer. That's just how he was. What I wouldn't give to sit in an old pine tree, and drag one more deer with him.

We coon hunted with dogs 3-4 nights a week while I was in high school, ran trap lines during fur season, squirrel hunted in October, and ran trot lines and bank hooks on the river while drinking boiled coffee made with river water. I wouldn't take those times for anything.

Nobody could tell a story like Grandpa. Many hours were spent sitting around the living room wood stove or in the front porch swing listening to tales of how the old days were when he was growing up, past hunting and fishing trips with his sons, stories from the war, or building wood crafts in his wood shop. My friends and I would sit for hours talking with him on the front porch swing, and they all referred to him as Grandpa. My son is 15, and I have been able to watch him on that front porch with a gleam in his eye listening to the same stories I have heard dozens of times, along with some new ones that involved me. Its funny how the stories never got old, and I could listen to them over and over again.

I thank the good Lord for the time I have had with my Grandpa, and I take comfort in knowing he is in a better place today. Like I told my son this morning, he was the best Grandpa a boy could have. If I can be half Father and Grandfather that he was, I will feel like I have done well.

Sorry for the long post, but I know some of you will enjoy a glimpse into the life of a great man who will be missed by many.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:32 PM

Sorry for your Loss Sir...
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:34 PM

Story made me miss my pops.

Prayers sent.
Posted By: Cinch

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:34 PM

Sorry for your loss... Prayers are up for you and your family
Posted By: ccoker

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:36 PM

Good men like that are hard to find these days..

Sincerely sorry for you loss.

On a positive note your son is old enough that he will remember him well..

God bless
Posted By: TooLow

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: hooked01
Sorry for your loss... Prayers are up for you and your family
Posted By: TxAg

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:41 PM

Sorry for your loss. Sure sounds like he made good use of his years.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:48 PM

Sorry for your loss. Be thankful he lived a long full life and you got to have many memorable years with him. Both my Grandpa's died before I was 3, so I never knew them. Both my children grew up the same way as me. Again sorry for your loss and be thankful that you got to spend so many years with him.
Posted By: GPS

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 08:48 PM

Sorry for your loss. I am sure he was a great man and a wonderful grandfather.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 09:09 PM

Any man that ran coon dogs gets a thumbs up from me!! Men like your grandpa are rare! Sorry for your loss.....
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 09:22 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: camartin

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 09:59 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: erniejs

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 10:53 PM

sorry for your loss , sounds like ya'll were blessed with a lot of great times
Posted By: Booner1

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 11:19 PM

Prayers for you and your family. I was inseparable from my grandfather also. Passed about 15 years ago but hardly a day passes that I don't think of him.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 10/31/13 11:53 PM

Congratulations on knowing and loving one of the great ones. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: TCB

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 12:20 AM

God bless you and your family. Thanks for sharing the story.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 12:52 AM

Sorry for you loss.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 12:56 AM

Rest In Peace, prayers up...
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 12:58 AM

Thank you for the post and what a nice tribute to your grandfather. Congratulations on such a wonderful life with him and my condolences on his passing.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:11 AM

My prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Your right not to many men get to enjoy their grandpa for 40 years. Looks like he made one heck of a difference in your and others lives. His opening weekend is in a very special place this year!
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:20 AM

So sorry for your loss, You were truly blessed with a man like him in your life. Cherish the memories.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:27 AM

My grandaddy was a huge part of my life. When I was twelve, a real estate agent who was a stranger to me and was selling my grandad's house for him looked me in the eye and told me "he's the best thing you got." And when he said that, I knew it was so. He was not a hunter but loved to fish, and the times I spent with him were priceless. The memories are more precious than gold.

I am truly sorry for your loss.
Posted By: stx44mag

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:32 AM

sorry for loss, god speed
Posted By: janie

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:38 AM

A beautiful and loving tribute to your Grandfather. I guarantee that man is smiling right now.

Prayers up.
Posted By: MikeTX

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:55 AM

What a tribute...you made me tear up and remember my grandparents

God Bless

Mike
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 03:05 AM

What an incredible life you've had! It's nice to see that you truly appreciate what The Lord gave you in your Grandpa! I do pray for you and your family in this time of mourning. I pray he comforts you with the great memories and the knowledge that you'll see him again.

If there is anyway to recall as many of the stories you can and are able to put them on paper for those who will come after you and your son. They would be priceless. You are a part of your Grandpas legacy and the way he raised you has helped make you the man you are. What an incredible thing it would be for your grandson to get to know him through the stories and pictures!
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 03:15 AM

Job well done, take pleasure in the memories. Sounds like my own story, not knowing the man but by your story I can relate. I can tell by the tribute he did his job and did it well. God bless
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 03:34 AM

What an honor to have someone like that in your life for that long! Prayers to you and your family.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 03:39 AM

Our prayers are with your family, thank you for sharing with us
Posted By: txshntr

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 03:39 AM

Great tribute to a great man. You are truly blessed. Prayers sent for you and yours, may the memories last a life time
Posted By: kmon11

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 03:40 AM

Prayers to you and your family. As long as you are around some of him is here also.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 04:02 AM

Class act.
Posted By: kmartinusa

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 04:10 AM

Both you and he are incredibly blessed for the time you were able to spend together. I never met either of my grandfathers and even at 43, I often think about what could have been. I am certain that we had much in common, especially hunting and fishing.

I sorry for your loss, but you have memories that I can only wish for.

Kevin
Posted By: Hunter4lifeĀ°

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 04:44 AM

God bless grandpa rest in peace
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 04:51 AM

great post
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 05:16 AM

I know he was a great man. I'm sure you made him proud too. I like what you said about his stories, that you could listen to them forever. My grandfather used to tell me his stories when I was young and unable to really grasp them. Man, how I wish he was still here to tell me those stories now.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 06:16 AM

Loden, you have just written the best memorial and eulogy for your Grandpa. I can tell it has come from your soul. You have been blessed by a good man, and we all share in your loss. The memories though will never fade, and I bet you will not only be passing your stories along, but his as well. Tough times we know, but the memories will last you a lifetime until your reunion. God Bless, and thanks for sharing.
Posted By: texfork

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 09:44 AM

Sorry for your loss .
Posted By: 77-Style

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 12:53 PM

Sorry for your loss
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 12:57 PM

Sorry for you loss and thanks for sharing your memories.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:01 PM

Sorry for your loss. Your story reminds me a lot of my Grandfather. You can't appreciate them enough while they are here and you can't miss them enough after they are gone.
Posted By: reeder05

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:20 PM

Sorry for your loss.

He sounds like a heck of a man.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:29 PM

Prayers. He's probably hunting the big woods now.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:40 PM

God bless. I certainly miss both my granddads and great granddad. I learned a lot from all three of them.
Posted By: DesertHunting

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 01:45 PM

Sorry for your loss. He sure left a great legacy!
Praying for strength and comfort for you and your family.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 02:04 PM

They don't make them like that anymore. Prayers with you.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: 82Ag

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 02:38 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write such a touching tribute to a great man. I appreciate his service to this country, and the Christian influence he had on you and others. My grandfathers have been gone for a while, and I miss them dearly. Headed to the deer lease today, with my Dad who is 76. You've reminded me to cherish this weekend even more than I would have.

God Bless.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 03:24 PM

Congradulation to your grandfather for making a ton of memories that you will be able to enjoy for the rest of your life!! These things are never easy, but it sounds like he did an awesome job.
Posted By: pse3

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 04:20 PM

What a blessing to have people like that in your life..
Prayers sent.

JD
Posted By: Firecop

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/01/13 04:48 PM

prayers sent sir. Sounds like a great man and a heck of a roll model. Sure makes me miss my Grand pa. Thank you for the story.
Posted By: jseago

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/02/13 02:26 AM

Tough news. He left the right impact on you. Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Loden

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/02/13 02:35 AM

Thanks for all of the kind words and prayers. I knew THF'ers would appreciate the caliber of man he was.
Posted By: Roy's taxidermy in Olney

Re: God Has Called a Great Man Home - 11/02/13 02:52 AM

I never Knew my grandparents .They both passed when I was too young to remember them. But I can tell by reading your post you spent all the time you could with yours. I am sorry for your loss and keep the memories close to your heart. Our prayers go out to your family.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum