Texas Hunting Forum

What do you feed?

Posted By: STXHO

What do you feed? - 10/15/13 03:24 AM

Ricebran, Cotton Seed, Or Alfalfa?
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 05:38 AM

I feed corn year round in antler growing season Feburary through late September I put Antler King mixed with cotton seed meal in my protein feeders I also plant 3 plots with oats, wheat, & winter peas for the season. I used to plant spring plots but they don't make it through our dry summers.
Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 11:24 AM

Corn & alfalfa pellets
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 01:52 PM

I live in flour bluff and have access to a lot of crystal meth. I've found sprinkling a small amount on top of the protein feeders really keeps the deer lively and coming back for more.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: kyle1974
I live in flour bluff and have access to a lot of crystal meth. I've found sprinkling a small amount on top of the protein feeders really keeps the deer lively and coming back for more.

Buck Crack works well also
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 03:15 PM

We feed corn year round and 20% protein.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 03:25 PM

I feed lead to to those deer that need to go to keep numbers under control. I feed 20% protein free choice and spin corn year round to the survivors.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 03:38 PM

20% free choice from march to aug.... Corn from Sept to Feb
Posted By: tlk

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 05:46 PM

Alfalfa, protein, corn, and cottonseed -
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: What do you feed? - 10/15/13 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Alfalfa, protein, corn, and cottonseed -

X2.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 01:44 AM

22% free choice protein pellets January - August with roasted soy bean/corn in spin feeders, then corn September - December in the spin feeders.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 02:28 AM

Corn and milo mix.
Posted By: AO2000

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 03:18 AM

Hey your in my neck of the woods...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 03:21 AM

100% free choice grass and browse year around. Add a little corn to the diet when season gets close grin

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
100% free choice grass and browse year around. Add a little corn to the diet when season gets close grin

scratch Free choice grass? hammer I always heard it was Oak Leaves bang dang now I am gonna have to plow under all those forbes and plant grass. loser8
Posted By: txshntr

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

scratch Free choice grass? hammer I always heard it was Oak Leaves bang dang now I am gonna have to plow under all those forbes and plant grass. loser8

My deer are built like me...they only wish they could reach those oak leaves trout

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

My deer are built like me...they only wish they could reach those oak leaves trout

Broader than taller grin
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 01:11 PM

20% protein (Red Chain Mills) free choice....
Corn & Soybean mix in spin feeders...
Also have some corn gravity feeders outside of the pen (when the cows are rotated off the property)
Started using a salt lick this year...curious to see how much they use it....

Things I've tried that didn't work....
- peanut butter, Chaffhaye, (insert every kind of attractant ever made here...deer cocaine, krave, etc....)...anything new I add seems to spook them...
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 01:36 PM

Spin = corn year round
Free Choice = 50/50 16% protein and roasted soy year round
Fall Plot = 5 acres oats wheat rye turnips
Spring Plot = 5 acres soybeans lablab sorghum.
+\- rice bran
Posted By: jdickey

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 02:23 PM

Stampede - a mix of soybean and corn pretty much year round.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 05:54 PM

next time you're in the feed store, ask them what type of goat feeds they have. Most of them run 18 - 22% protein and there ususally cheaper than buying the "deer" feed.

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ddmm
next time you're in the feed store, ask them what type of goat feeds they have. Most of them run 18 - 22% protein and there ususally cheaper than buying the "deer" feed.

Not many goats are grown for antler growth. That feed will be cheaper since it will not have the mineral/vitamin package that whitetails need. Cheaper priced feeds are cheaper for a reason.
Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Buck Crack works well also

I live for the day someone mentions BUCK CRACK! Thanks RojoChevy!

Posted By: longhorn3454

Re: What do you feed? - 10/16/13 06:52 PM

I feed:
-corn spin feeder all year round
-20 % protein free choice all year
-spring food plots of: soy beans, texas peas, buck wheat, sunflower
-winter plots of: wheat, rye grass, clover, turnips
-have a pear tree, pecan tree and apple tree planted at the edge of my plots. Everyone likes desert after dinner.
Posted By: Monster_Raxx

Re: What do you feed? - 10/17/13 12:27 AM

From February til they shed the velvet off their alters I feed golden nuggets from a spin cast. Afterwards I feed 50% golden nuggets and 50% corn. They seem to like the sweetness of the protein
Posted By: Maglite

Re: What do you feed? - 10/17/13 01:15 AM

I have found that the protein molasses tubs we put out for the cows the deer destroy them and they ate full of protein and minerals. They are like 20 gallon tubs maybe. But man they work great for the deer and water don't hurt it much and they last a loooooooong time!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum