Texas Hunting Forum

Smith County/ Tyler Texas

Posted By: Kory

Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 03:19 PM

Me and my dad are going to look at a 150 acre lease in Tyler on Saturday. Does anyone know how good the hunting is around this area. What kind of deer should I expect to see?

Thanks Kory
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 03:31 PM

If you mean "what kind of deer should I expect to see this Saturday," I wouldn't expect to see many (or any), given the ridiculous heat. If you mean what type of deer in general for that area, I'll defer to the East Texas guys.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 03:46 PM

Yes i mean in general for the area.

Thanks Kory
Posted By: P & Y

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 04:47 PM

I've hunted quite a bit in smith county and It's typical east texas hunting. Dont expect to see numbers of deer on the place. Some very nice bucks are killed in smith every year but most people hunt hard to kill them. If your lucky enough to have large patches of oaks on the place you should be in good shape
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 05:25 PM

The deer are in pockets in Smith County. Sure, there are some deer most all over the County but there are higher numbers in some places than others. If you have some river bottom close those areas seem to hold more numbers.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 07:10 PM

The whole place is supposed to be hardwoods with two small open pastures and a pond. He said a pipeline came through a few years ago so there is a clearing running through the whole place.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 07:20 PM

The 2 small open pastures sound promising. That's alot of the problem with hunting East Texas, usually not good clearings to hunt and nobody wants their Pine Trees cut. I bet you will have some luck there.
Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/08/13 11:49 PM

Where at around Tyler are you looking? I grew up here and know most of the area fairly well.
Posted By: Ronnie Von Ricktenstein

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/09/13 12:07 AM

HOGS....
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/09/13 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Von Ricktenstein
HOGS....

i hunted 1500 acres in rusk county outside of kilgore for 6 years and we never saw one hog, i was really surprised....didnt see any dang deer either

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/09/13 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: quackaholic1
Where at around Tyler are you looking? I grew up here and know most of the area fairly well.

Don't really know yet. He said something about it is off hwy 133

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/09/13 01:43 AM

There may be a county road 133 but as far as I know there is no HWY 133. If he actually meant hwy 31 it will be a hit or miss situation.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/09/13 01:47 AM

Ok. Ill update everyone Saturday afternoon.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/09/13 03:24 PM

The lease is between arp and troup
Posted By: mbscdh

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/10/13 02:41 AM

That would be Hwy. 135
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/10/13 02:46 AM

I've hunted some in that area. It's hit or miss. The place I went to was a hit every once in a while. I've also hunted with guys who see 2 deer a year on their lease. Ya never know and you probably won't see anything tomorrow with the heat. Not trying to be negative.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/10/13 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Von Ricktenstein
HOGS....

i hunted 1500 acres in rusk county outside of kilgore for 6 years and we never saw one hog, i was really surprised....didnt see any dang deer either

That's funny as hell. lol

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/10/13 04:22 AM

There are some deer between Arp and Troup but it is not over run by them.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/10/13 07:21 PM

We went and leased the place today. Saw lots of tracks. Lots of pig tracks too. The man said the guy hunting the place last year shot a real nice 8 point with about a 20" spread. The only reason he was getting off is because he was going through a devorce. I think it will be an ok spot for a while until we find something better.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/11/13 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Kory
We went and leased the place today. Saw lots of tracks. Lots of pig tracks too. The man said the guy hunting the place last year shot a real nice 8 point with about a 20" spread. The only reason he was getting off is because he was going through a devorce. I think it will be an ok spot for a while until we find something better.

I sent you a PM
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/11/13 03:59 PM

last several years Smith county has been 4 deer county. if it has some water on it, thats a plus, could walk the perimmater for sign's usually what i do, not sure if that help's confused2

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/11/13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
last several years Smith county has been 4 deer county. if it has some water on it, thats a plus, could walk the perimmater for sign's usually what i do, not sure if that help's confused2

It is a 4 deer County but you can only shoot your 2 does during the 4 days of Thanksgiving Weekend. Thursday thru Sunday.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/11/13 09:20 PM

pond, lot's of track's, hog track's, some hardwood, pipe line running threw, 2 buck county, & last hunter took nice 8 pointer, 4 days for chance ta take couple of does. not bad. sounds like some good hunting for u & yur dad. up flag

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/12/13 06:27 PM

You can shoot does all through bow season. That's usually when I shoot the anyway.

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/13/13 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Kory
You can shoot does all through bow season. That's usually when I shoot the anyway.

That is correct. Good luck on your new spot!
Posted By: spoiled

Re: Smith County/ Tyler Texas - 08/13/13 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
Originally Posted By: colt.45

It is a 4 deer County but you can only shoot your 2 does during the 4 days of Thanksgiving Weekend. Thursday thru Sunday.

from TPWD "On USFS, Corps of Engineers, and river authority lands, the take of antlerless deer shall be by permit only, except in Fannin County. On all other tracts of land, antlerless deer may be taken without permits from Thanksgiving Day through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 28-Dec. 1, 2013). At all other times, antlerless deer may be taken by antlerless MLD or LAMPS permits only. If antlerless deer permits have been issued, they must be attached to all antlerless deer harvested from the tract of land."

how do you know if it applies to your lease or not?? or is it the whole county??
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum