Texas Hunting Forum

anybody planting oats yet

Posted By: 10pointdoe

anybody planting oats yet - 08/24/08 06:27 PM

anybody putting there oats or wheat in yet ?

are you mixing them together ?

Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/24/08 06:34 PM

Probably a bit early here in NE Texas. I did go to buy some yesterday. All they had was feed oats but it wasnt steralized so I got a sack.

I noticed a big cloud to the north and just threw some seed out. It got a good rain so we will see if any takes.

You can get a pasture mix that does well. Has oats, peas, clover and rye I believe. I always get a couple pounds of crimson clover just for fun

Posted By: nehntr

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/24/08 07:50 PM

i planted plots in Neb. last week of aug and got repotr today plants were 6" tall. planted buck forage oats along with winter forage peas along with chicory

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/24/08 07:54 PM

i do every chance i get.

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/24/08 09:37 PM

I thought you planted just before labor day in central texas. The guy at the feed store said they were selling a lot of seed oats now. I bought 2 50 lb bags to plant about 2 acres. Fertilizer will cost 110 dollars, or about 55 an acre. Think I should mix anything else in with it?

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/25/08 12:47 AM

Like Big Daddy K said, we plant about the 2nd or 3rd week of September, depending on the weather.

Sounds like you got what it takes if the ground will cooperate. I always lime when in doubt, though.

BTW - I got rid of that double post...but only because JCB posted in it. ... j/k....

Posted By: JCB

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/25/08 01:10 AM

Quote:

BTW - I got rid of that double post...but only because JCB posted in it. ... j/k....

Another one bites the dust!!!

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/25/08 11:25 AM

Posted By: 2000cbr929

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/25/08 12:06 PM

Planted around 5 acres this weekend in Stephens County. My first time for doing so, so well see how it goes.

Posted By: elliscountyhog

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/25/08 02:02 PM

Planted 1/4 acre last week and went and checked yesterday and my clover is sproting and looking good already, and i got my first action of deer and hogs there too...

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/25/08 04:45 PM

the ground is just right for plowing....kinda soft but not muddy

how much lime do you use?

the feed store told me fertilizer was about 55 dollars per acre....oats are 10 dollars per acre

shouls I mix in a little wheat or rye?....I'm planting about 2 acres

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/25/08 04:59 PM

Quote:

how much lime do you use? ....I'm planting about 2 acres

I use 2 tons per acre, but I know what shape the soil is in. If you have a place that's been covered in trees or heavy underbrush for a good while, and/or if you're pretty sure the pH is below 5.5, you might need more. If you've pretty much taken care of the soil, you could use less - even as little as 1500 pounds per acre. But it all depends on the soil.

A soil test can usually save you plenty of $$$$.

Posted By: dove_buster

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/26/08 01:43 AM

Quote:

i do every chance i get.

I just got that. Took me a day. lol

Posted By: Payne

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/26/08 02:48 AM

Quote:

the ground is just right for plowing....kinda soft but not muddy

how much lime do you use?

the feed store told me fertilizer was about 55 dollars per acre....oats are 10 dollars per acre

shouls I mix in a little wheat or rye?....I'm planting about 2 acres

If you're thinking about fertilizing I'd get a soil test. You can get online results in a couple days. It will save you some money. If you have to lime you won't see any benefits until next year. It takes 6-8 months for lime to reach its peak.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/26/08 02:58 AM

I don't intend to plant until early October.

Posted By: ovalohunter

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/26/08 12:15 PM

we'll be planting about 30 acres of winter oats here pretty soon. we'll use it for cows grazing purposes. it was cheaper than wheat. we haven't planted it in about 20 yrs. don't the deer like it better than wheat?

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/26/08 01:22 PM

OVALOHUNTER, in my limited experience, the deer do prefer oats over wheat, if you can get them to take and produce. Rain is the key.

Posted By: Hoytman

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 10:46 AM

Planted 2 weeks ago and they are already a couple of inches high.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 11:53 AM

In the next two weeks we will have all of our food plots done. Turnips, oats, and rye grass.

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 01:46 PM

i planted austrian winter peas and winter rye this past weekend

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 01:51 PM

I've got 35 acres of volunteer wheat thats up about 6-8 inches now.

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 01:54 PM

The key is fillery! They'll eat any grain if there is no undergrowth. Yes, it takes moisture to get the fillery going. But, we've had some good rains of late and the habitat is looking very good! My2cents

Posted By: taco bender

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 02:16 PM

well it looks like we may get rain from that hurricane thats spurred up. so keep that in mind too.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 02:31 PM

i bought some seed at walmart last year after season for 1 dollar a bag, small bags but whatever....i planted my first round of those last week, but i think i may need to replant if it burns up by mid october

Posted By: texas8point

Re: anybody planting oats yet - 08/27/08 04:32 PM

last week of september

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum