Texas Hunting Forum

Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area?

Posted By: ChaseNTheHunt

Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/19/11 06:36 PM

This will be my first year hunting near Decatur on my uncles land. Anyone know anything about the deer in this area this year? We have a feeder out, but haven't filled it yet. Right now I'm working on a second feeder build, then we'll fill both. The place I'm hunting has a 40 acre constant level lake on it, so we have a good water source, but I know the forage has suffered this year. I got a hog out there before it got too hot this summer, but haven't spent much time out there since. Thanks!

Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/19/11 06:46 PM

If you've got water, you'll have deer. My place has the only constant water for quite a way around me. In drought years I see more deer than others.

I'm between Paradise and Lake Bridgeport.

Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/20/11 02:50 AM

There are pockets in Wise Co that constantly produce good deer. I know of big deer mainly coming from the area just north and also just east of Decatur. I have seen the biggest deer in the county near the Alvord area.

Posted By: Boyd1212

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/20/11 12:27 PM

There's some good deer all over wise county. I have seen 140-150 class deer here in Rhome/ Aurora area. So there out there.

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/21/11 07:57 AM

Just got 2 decent 8's and a pretty nice 9 on camera this mornin'. Seeing ton's and ton's of does with fawn's up here this year. This will be my first year hunting Wise county too and I am already getting over a thousand pic's a week on game cam and I am super anxious for bow season.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/23/11 01:56 AM

awesome. thanks for the encouragement guys.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/23/11 02:53 PM

Plenty of good deer in the area. Just like any place some are better than others and some have been shot out.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/23/11 03:06 PM

I have heard several 140-165 Deer from the area. Last year was really good with the rain.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/23/11 03:29 PM

I saw the biggest 10pt in my life in that area north of Alvord. It has good deer. Turkey too...

Posted By: Western

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/23/11 05:19 PM

I think the AR will help in Wise county. I have already seen a good difference in deer at my little place. I have a neighbor across the street that told me "yeah we get 5-6 deer a year" he has 16 acres.

Most of the acreage around me is 15 or so acres, mine is too, takes some getting used to since it's the smallest place I've had. Larger farms and ranches will be even better IMO.

Here are 6 bucks at the feeder, not huge but they are "deer"

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/23/11 06:16 PM

Thats more than I've seen so far. Thanks for the pic!!

Posted By: akrb

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/29/11 07:41 PM

The deer are already coming to the feeders, can't wait to eat some sausage from Bridgeport Wild Game on 380 by Bridgeport Guns and Ammo

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/29/11 09:09 PM

nice plug...

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/29/11 09:26 PM

Like another mentioned, I'm hopefull that AR will help in Wise County, though not real optimistic. I've got some flat awful neighbors (just a couple, I like most of them) and I doubt they care about any game laws. Upside is that the GW knows that and watches them pretty close.

There are some very large bucks in Wise, particularly close to the lake. I've heard of bucks well north of 160, but I've never seen any myself.

I usually have my feeders running year round, but haven't this year. Not sure how much I'll even hunt. I'm figuring a year of letting them grow won't hurt anything.

Posted By: slpybeartx

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/29/11 09:27 PM

Deer are coming to the feeders. Lots of ROUGH looking Does unless you have been feeding year round.

The other problem we have is Hogs. With forage declining this year, they will wreck a feeder in a hurry. I moved one feeder this year and didn't bother anchoring it down and the hogs found it and tipped it in three days time.

Shoot them. Shoot them all.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/29/11 11:30 PM

Yah, I was told by the land owner I only get one deer, so I plan to be the hog clean up guy until i find the right deer. We made a winch up feeder last weekend. Its 15 feet tall to the top, but the bottom of the feeder is 8 ft high. we're going to put t-posts 2-3 feet in the ground and tie to the legs with bailing wire. I hope it holds. We've seen some 350# hogs in there. I'm looking forward to dispatching them.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/30/11 05:28 PM

I'm in SW Wise, and yet to see a hog in 6 years, "knock on wood". Where I am at, we also have some "shoot'em" up neighbors and with our smaller parcels of land, that makes for some serious strain on the deer population. My immediate neighbor and I figure of the 4 legal bucks we are getting on trail cams, we might get to split one buck. We have shot 1 buck in 3 years ,since we let most of them walk.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 08/31/11 11:14 PM

Just an updated photo. The deer seem to be looking better since I started feeding the 16% protein, at least that's what I tell myself grin I have noticed the bucks utilizing the protein far more than the doe's though.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/07/11 06:12 PM

Anybody have anything new?

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/07/11 07:57 PM

I know deer are hitting the water pretty hard still and at various times throughout the day.

I did notice more deer on my place after dove season opened, We skipped dove this year as my place is very small and few dove around, but the neighbors have been blasting at something in the back, so now I can feed their deer, yeah!

Deer at my makeshift water trough till I can get my tank "hard watered" in.

Posted By: BIGTEN 155 7/8

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/07/11 10:11 PM

Yea can see a definite difference in the animals nice to see someone taking care of gods critters , my neice sent me a photo of a deer that was hit last year on 380 and it was a monster
Good luck

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/19/11 07:27 PM

Any updates since this latest bit of rain? Any increase in movement?

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/20/11 06:36 PM

My FIL and I finally filled and set our feeder yesterday. saw a nice Doe driving in. I'm hopeful!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/20/11 10:36 PM

I haven't seen an "increase" in movement per se, I have noticed the deer where I am are coming out as early as 5pm. My "herd" gets bigger each week it seems like, I don't know if anyone else is feeding close to me, don't think so.

The existing green vegetation has perked up a bit and I watched 7 doe/ fawn mix eating briers pretty good.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/22/11 04:12 PM

Where are you at? I'm 5 miles east of Decatur.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 09/22/11 06:19 PM

I am about 3 miles SW of Cottondale

Posted By: Onski316

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/03/11 02:29 PM

I'm new here but ran across your guys thread. I'm about 2 miles SW of Cottondale and have seen very good deer movement lately, only problem is it's after dark...but a lot of them. A pack of 4 does, pack of 3 (2 doe, 1 buck) and a pack of 6 does. My neighbor up the road about 1/4 mile said him and his wife have seen a 14 pointer. I thought he was full of it but my next door neighbor said he saw him earlier this spring beside the road on his way to work. I don't suppose you've seen that guy?

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/03/11 08:55 PM

I am running to check my camera today after work. I'll have some news for you tomorrow.

Posted By: Time Killer

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/04/11 03:34 AM

I hunted 5 miles east of Decatur on 380 for 5 years. Always shot a nice buck and our neighbor who was sitting on fence not 150 yards from me killed a 165. Black Creek ran through our property. If anyone gets a chance to hunt this creek, Jump all over it!!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/04/11 03:20 PM

I'm on Sweetwater Creek just south of there. Got some pics off my camera yesterday. Looks like its going to be a good year. I have a tons of pics at night that are totally black. I guess the IR on my camera isn't working. Oh well. At least I know something is moving out there.

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/04/11 03:30 PM

Been watchin' em' pretty hard lately and the deer movement is not what you would usually expect. Rather than hunting just first and last light I would def. reccomend staying late in the mornin'. I am seeing plenty of movement from 8:00am-10:00am and same goes for the evening. We are seeing alot of deer in the morning's and fewer and fewer in the evening's. Used to seeing 30 or so in the evening's and last night saw 10 or less. yesterday morning though they were out in the field's on up until 10:00am

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/04/11 04:07 PM

Yah, I agree. Alot of my pics were late morning and early evening before sun down. I guess they are braver this year b/c of the lack of food. My feeder was out there for only 2 days and it already had deer at it. And none of the does have any size to them. This drought has hurt them bad for sure.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/11/11 03:06 PM

How was the rain in Wise this weekend? 2 inches? Lakes and ponds filled up?

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/11/11 03:18 PM

According to my neighbor, we got a little over 2 inches. Not alot of run-off as the ground was so dry.

I'm just glad we got the rain. Need more of them!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/11/11 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ChaseNTheBite
How was the rain in Wise this weekend? 2 inches? Lakes and ponds filled up?

We measured 5.5 inches of rain. It was wet muddy time getting into my tree stand.

I hunt two places... gun hunt in Alvord and Bow Hunt closer to Bridgeport. Plenty of deer and they are definitely staying late at the feeders in the mornings.

I took a nice doe last weekend with my bow. Now just watching for big uns.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/11/11 06:46 PM

I received just over 5" of rain and well needed. I got about 4' in my dry pond and the dry creek was running, so I got a little run-off.

I have noticed in the past few weeks, the bucks are split up and on the move. Deer activity around my place has been the same all summer since I have been feeding corn and protein since June. Since it has cooled down the daytime activity has greatly increased, I had 4 does in the back yard at one feed station yesterday at 5pm, after they left I had 2 other does come in at about 7:15pm. The does with fawns seen to be the heaviest movers right now.

Sad thing, we got much needed rain, but any benefit to the vegetation will be minimal, except for cool weather grasses, The rain we got a couple of weeks ago got the rye grasses started and this rain should really boost it. Plus I dry planted my Oats and Peas, so this should get them going good too.

Deer still using my water troughs even though the creek and pond are now holding water.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/12/11 06:34 PM

Wow, 5" is alot more than I would have thought. You're right about that much rain not having an effect. I think it'd have to rain for 2 weeks before it really filled up the lakes and the trees felt the difference. But a little more doesn't hurt.

Good to hear the deer are starting to move. Look forward to opening rifle weekend!!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/12/11 07:43 PM

Wow, 5" is alot more than I would have thought. You're right about that much rain not having an effect. I think it'd have to rain for 2 weeks before it really filled up the lakes and the trees felt the difference. But a little more doesn't hurt.

Good to hear the deer are starting to move. Look forward to opening rifle weekend!!

It takes much more than you think to make a dent in the Lake. Those 5.5" did wonders to get the ground saturated again and start getting runnoff flowing.

The best part was last night... we had another 2 inches fall over night. And out west in the watershed for Lake Bridgeport they received 2-3". This was great because the runnoff will really be moving now and helping to fill the Lake.

For Example, this is the NWS station on the Trinity River north of the lake showing the runnoff and how it picked up with the last batch of rain...

NWS Rivers and Lakes - Trininty
Those 7 inches may not officially "break" the drought. But they are gonna help out a bunch.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/21/11 02:23 PM

Any more movement with this weather change?

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/21/11 07:30 PM

Any more movement with this weather change?

They are killing the oats, but less activity on the corn, fawns still hitting corn good. After 6 3/4" of rain in the last 14 days, water at my place has become a mute issue as far as the deer using the troughs. Bucks have become scarce here like others are reporting and the big shocker is the amount of acorns on the ground and falling daily.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/21/11 07:48 PM

See what I mean? Hard to compete with fresh acorns!!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/24/11 09:46 PM

I've got does on my feeder like crazy, but only see one buck so far in 4 different pics. He looks pretty young. I did have hogs at one time, they've moved on now. Turkeys have moved in too. The cooler weather has definitely gotten things moving!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/24/11 10:52 PM

Does are everywhere, haven't seen a good buck though in a couple of weeks, but that aint saying mush since I only have one cam.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/25/11 10:23 PM

Yah, I've only got the one cam too. I'm hoping my MLD manager will let us thin out the does a little more than planned since we've got so many.

I didn't have a chance to walk through the brush last time i was out so I didn't see the acorns. But looks like they are definitely there now. I hope it rains at least once more between now and opening weekend. that would help cool things down and get those bucks moving more during the day.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/26/11 09:56 PM

Looks like we are going to get some good weather, at least for hunting. I did find fresh scrapes today to, so the gears are turning. One I found must be 4-5ft. in diameter, dude went nuts on the edge of the food plot! cant wait to see what he's "pack'in"

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/27/11 10:28 PM

We are seeing scrapes in many spots now. The next few weeks are going to be prime time.

Posted By: huntergirlnorthtexas

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/30/11 01:00 AM

Hey

We live in Wise County and we are looking for a lease for next year that we can manage year round. Any information would be appreciated!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/31/11 07:16 PM

Went out to check my camera one last time Friday evening. They're boreing for a gas line not 500 yards from my blind. Its not in line of sight, but still sucks. Hopefully they get used to it before Sat morn.

Lots of activity on the camera. Turkeys are moving alot now too.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 10/31/11 08:02 PM

I wouldnt worry about the work going on. 2 years ago Oncor was drilling a well close enough that I could hear them yelling and see the tower light, but the deer at my place never changed a thing. I did notice where they where putting in the well, to this day, I don't see deer there anymore. The terrain was changed for maybe 5 acres. Used to be deer there all the time crossing the road and what not.

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 11/01/11 07:05 PM

Yah, I heard the same thing from a buddy of mine. I just hate suprises like that... Good luck this weekend!!!

I'm hoping to see this guy again

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 11/01/11 08:17 PM

Good luck to you too and I also hope I see that buck!! grin

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 11/04/11 04:08 PM

29 degrees here in Fort Worth this morning. Looking forward to tomorrow!!!

Re: Deer in Decatur / Wise Co area? - 12/08/11 01:50 PM

So who has got something in Wise County?? Show me a pic!!!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum