Texas Hunting Forum

How are the deer in Columbus?

Posted By: texas_sooner

How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/12/11 01:09 PM

Looking at getting on a lease in Columbus, just not sure what i can expect regarding quality of deer. For those who have hunted in Columbus, what are the deer like there?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/12/11 05:50 PM

http://www.ccwma.org/photos.php Here is a link to the CCWMA and if you click on the photo section you can find pics for the 2009 season and 2010 season.

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/14/11 10:50 PM

Thanks for the link stxranchman. I saw the pics in the gallery and was excited to go see the place. When I got there, I was disappointed at what I saw. Again, thanks man.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/14/11 10:55 PM

have a buddy who has a place in weimar.

nice country, but the deer are on the smaller side.

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/14/11 11:16 PM

It is beautiful country. I wish I could afford to buy there.

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/15/11 12:48 AM

what part of pearland are you from?

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/15/11 12:54 AM

Near the old high school, off 35 and 518. What part of San Anton you from? My mom lives near the base.

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/15/11 12:58 AM

i live in stone oak currently, i used to live behind kelly's in banbury cross off 518.

that place has blown up. when i lived there, pearland parkway stopped where the lowe's is at, there was only 1 walmart and town stopped when you got to silverlake

Posted By: west-tex

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/15/11 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: texas_sooner
Near the old high school, off 35 and 518. What part of San Anton you from? My mom lives near the base.

Texas-Sooner
i live down the street from you

Posted By: daniel25s

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/15/11 02:10 PM

where in columbus are you looking to get a lease had a lease there last year

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Deer in Comanche County? - 08/15/11 07:06 PM

Were looking for a lease right now and have found two that we like. One is in Runnels County and one is in Comanche County. We know there are deer in Runnels because we have hunted out there before. We just dont know about Comanche County. Are there any good deer out there?! I don't care if there are huge bucks, just want a big population!

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/15/11 07:29 PM

Lease i went to see was in rock island. Just didnt think the land could support many deer. So....i'm still looking. I really like columbus, 2 hr drive from the house.

Good to see lots of hunters in pearland!!

Posted By: daniel25s

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/15/11 07:50 PM

I hunted in columbus last year and have a buddy with some land in sublime and the only time we saw any shooters was during the rut and even then the quality was not that great

but you are paying for convience more than anything

Posted By: M16

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/15/11 09:01 PM

There are some decent deer in the area. I killed a 162 and a 148 free range in Colorado County.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/15/11 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: M16
There are some decent deer in the area. I killed a 162 and a 148 free range in Colorado County.

worthless

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 12:35 AM

I know an older gentleman that just sold his house in Greune and moved to Columbus.He has 40 acres and is loaded up with doe,he can't shoot any of those.He still hunts near canyon lake,says he doesn't see many bucks in Columbus.I dont think he's looking very hard though.Can't have all those doe without any bucks.

Posted By: jdickey

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 01:17 AM

We had this guy during bow season in Comanche County, and he made it thru the season -

We had a 10 point with a drop tine, and I got an old 8pt with a 18" spread last year too!

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 03:10 AM

Nice.

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 03:16 AM

That's encouraging... thank you!!!

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: erathkid
.Can't have all those doe without any bucks.

yeah, you can.

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 02:17 PM

Well they do have to be "13.

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 02:20 PM

the buck to doe ratio is really messed up in alot of those counties. they can be as high as 1:10

Posted By: M16

Re: How are the deer in Columbus? - 08/16/11 03:09 PM

Here is they are:

Posted By: Hogfather

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 03:19 PM

The deer in Colorado county are great in some areas. I am suprised you did not like the Rock Island area. Every one of these deer came from Rock island.

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 05:07 PM

It wasnt the deer i didnt like, it was the land. Over 100 acres of wide open pasture, not one tree or shrub. Or any weed taller than 6". Plus there were cattle, so i just wasnt interested.

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 10:20 PM

I got ya, don't give up on that area if you come across any other leases around there, definately chek on them. I hunted 350 acres there and saw more big deer on that place than anyother lease I have been on. I was lucky though, it was only me hunting it and I mostly bow hunted it and had a co ops allround me except for the neighbors on one side. Land owner passed a few years back and that was the end of a really good thing.

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 10:33 PM

Looks like Rock Island rocks.

Re: Deer in Comanche County? - 08/16/11 11:34 PM

It does. I am not too far from Colorado County now. I am in Muldoon outside of LaGrange in Fayette county. First year there, so I am excited but my trail cam has not produced anything too exciting yet, unless you call groups of 30-40 hogs exciting.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum