Texas Hunting Forum

Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks)

Posted By: Scott K

Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 02:46 PM

I hope to see this deer in person this year. Last year I never got a look at him, except for on one deer cam. Somebody else saw him about a half-mile from this location. Please help me score and age him. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 02:55 PM

3.5 to 4.5 y.o.a.

135 to 145 B&C.

JASWAG!

Posted By: FETCH_UP

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 02:58 PM

Wish his head was turned sideways so i could get a better look. I would say 4.5, maybe 5.5, prolly more 5.5 hard to tell with the good year of rain we have had, 140-145 gross. Very nice deer to take!

Posted By: Buck_N_Hook

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 04:34 PM

I am gonna say he is 5.5 at least definetly 4.5. He is pushing 140 with than spread maybe more.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 05:04 PM

Do yall see 2 brow tines in the first pic? I just see one. The second pic you can clearly see 2.

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 05:09 PM

Quote:

Do yall see 2 brow tines in the first pic? I just see one. The second pic you can clearly see 2.

i zoomed in on it and still cant see it. maybe he broke it of in that hour between pics.

Posted By: MontagueBowBuster

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 05:09 PM

Yeah I noticed the same thing with brow tines. It say 4.5 and probably 140's. He's a great looking buck for sure and that spread is probably 22in. at least

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 05:22 PM

I think we are talking about 2 different bucks here, the first pic has more white on the forehead than the 2nd pic.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 05:32 PM

Same deer, look at the black spot under his left G-1.

Posted By: fitchjr

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 05:39 PM

In the second pic there is a ninth point, I cant tell if its in the first pic. My screen is kinda small though.

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 05:46 PM

Wow - I really appreciate the help. I didn't notice the missing brow tine. I know another mature high-rack 8 was in the area at the same time. Thanks again.

Scott

Posted By: exoticbob

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 06:07 PM

most deer that start getting a lot of white in the face and neck area are usually well mature. he might be past prime. thats the limb i am going out on.

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 06:16 PM

Quote:

Same deer, look at the black spot under his left G-1.

Yep, looks to be the same deer. That is an older buck. 5.5 or older. Look at his neck in the second picture.

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/25/07 06:16 PM

The first picture with him bending around is not a good pic to age by. The second is much better and I'd bet he's at least 5.5, maybe 6.5. He's minimum 24" inside and if his beams at least match his IS he's 145"+ gross. I gave him 24" beams and 24" IS but I'm betting he's wider than that! If his beams are less the the IS then you only get the length of the longest beam on spread credit. Stupid rule IMO! Give them what they grow!!!!

I'd ground check that hoss in a New York second. He's a stud!

Posted By: SJ

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/26/07 12:42 AM

He's a pretty deer but IMHO I don't think he will score well at all. He is wide but has no mass at all and even his longest tines are average, but he does have some decent main beam lengths. I say 4.5 low 130's.

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/26/07 11:52 AM

Quote:

He's a pretty deer but IMHO I don't think he will score well at all. He is wide but has no mass at all and even his longest tines are average, but he does have some decent main beam lengths. I say 4.5 low 130's.

He's heavier then you thing he is. He doesn't look it because he has such a large frame! I re-scored him and actually wrote down the measurements and although I'm lower then the first post, I still have him at 143"! I'll guarantee you this much, he's much closer to 143 then he is to 130".

I guided two deer this past week that were right on 140 and this deer is bigger then both!

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/26/07 12:49 PM

this deer will clear 140. if you take him, you should be very proud. i know i would love to shoot one like this. not every day you can to take a mature wide buck.

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/27/07 04:03 AM

4.5-5.5 year old deer. 2 different deer although look really similar but first one has 7 points second has 9 points 135-145 good buck to take. I would wait until second rut to take him so he can spread his genes around for last time during first rut, easier said than done though.

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/27/07 10:59 AM

I went back and looked after reading your post, and only one other person mentioned that it was two different deer.

The pictures are only 1 hour apart, the first picture is clearly a 7 pointer and the second is definitely a 9 pointer. That deer does not look torn up enough to have lost two antler points in the span of an hour.

Also, why the antlers sizes and shapes are similar, with close inspection diffeerences in tine shapes and lengths can be picked out.

I believe now that it is two sepearte bucks, 1 is a 4.5 to 5.5, 135 to 145 B&C, and the other is a 5.5+, 140 to 150.

I also believe they are from the same gene pool, hence the similar apperance of their racks. JMO.

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/27/07 01:58 PM

2 different deer? I had no idea. Having looked at the pics a little closer, I think it could either be 1) 2 different deer, or 2) the same deer before and after a fight. He could have gotten in a fight in the hour between pictures, which would explain the missing brow tine. I am very familiar with this lease and the deer on it. This deer - at least one of them - has only been seen in person one time, which makes me think he is older than 3.5-4.5. I also think that the notion that he was fighting makes sense because that's probably the only reason he got that close to a feeder / camera. On the other hand, this was weeks before the rut, so fighting would seem a little premature.

Regardless, I really appreciate the help. If they are two different deer, I'm even more excited about next weekend!!!!

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/27/07 02:41 PM

its the same deer. several identical markings prove it. first mark is the small bump point on his left beam towards the base. he may have busted the eye guard from rubbing (can happen). the tines are identical on both photos except the one missing the eye guard. good luck either way.

Posted By: JED

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/27/07 02:58 PM

+1

Posted By: BackWoodBubba

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/27/07 04:38 PM

about 5 years old.

Posted By: stickshooter 41

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/27/07 07:06 PM

It's the same deer. Top picture has the same crab claw on the end of his left beam as the second picture. Exact same facial markings. Strange that he broke his brow tine in that small of time period, but he done it. Good deer.

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/28/07 07:27 PM

Maybe it is the same deer, and maybe it is 2 different deer out of the same genetic line.

I could be wrong, but I am beginning to think that some of the bumps and spots people are using as reference points are anamolies on the picture, not the actual animal. JMO.

Either way you have something or two things to look forward to pursueing.

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/29/07 02:17 PM

I have no doubt that this is the same deer in both pictures. He does have the G4 on his left side in both pics it is just hard to see in the picture that was taken almost an hour later. It's just the angle of the photo.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe he could have broken the G1 in the time frame from one pic to the next. It didn't have to come from a fight, I've seen them break a tine while rubbing! As far as fighting goes, even though you say it's early (and I'm not sure where this is at) I had to 4.5 year olds get after it hard for about 30 seconds Saturday morning and this is in South Texas where they usually don't start that until late Nov or early Dec! IMO, they are going to rut early this year. Our bucks are already separating and that usually doesn't happen until mid to late November. I also saw two different bucks make small scrapes and urinate on themselves. The rut will be early down South this year.

Good luck on taking him, he'd be a great trophy!

Posted By: deuce12

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 10/30/07 01:03 AM

4.5 140's good deer

Posted By: HaskellCoDeerKiller

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 11/21/07 01:44 AM

135-140 3.5 yrs.

Posted By: LKForkGuide Marc Mitchell

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 11/21/07 01:49 AM

4.5 YEARS OLD. NICE DEER !! SCORE 135-140 I AM NOT SURE HE WILL DO ANY BETTER IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS. GOOD TIME TO TAKE HIM.

Posted By: DTCOOPER

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 11/21/07 02:21 AM

This is hilarious... 25 replies, and as many different GUESSES at his score. I think it's funny how some folks may have read about scoring in a book, or seen a couple of deer scored, and all of a sudden are able to judge and score animals from a picture..
Not to be cynical but geez folks... Does it hurt to every once in a while say "I DON"T KNOW"?
Any vet or wildlife biologist will tell you that there is so much erro when trying to judge an animal by face color, hair color, antler color, etc..
Good looking deer, I would shoot him in a minute !!
DTCOOPER<<<<< prepared to be flamed.. Let it come.

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 11/21/07 02:25 AM

hey i didnt"guess"....there is no way to know other than with a tape IMO
i think there are a couple people on here that can score close...i think the rest guess off the other peoples guesses.....

Posted By: DTCOOPER

Re: Help Score and Age This Deer ... (Thanks) - 11/21/07 02:35 AM

Always the same ones who do.. Always the same ones..

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum