Texas Hunting Forum

had to add water

Posted By: deerslayer64d

had to add water - 05/31/11 11:46 AM

well my stock tank went dry last week so I had to put water in my feed pens so my deer will stay around , nearest water is a mile away , its kinda a pain in the butt to haul water but what ya gunna do ? setting up three of these around the ranch in feed pens [/img]

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 11:54 AM

You can tell it is dry down south the the pear is yellow and shriveled. Not a lot of moisture in it. See a few tunas on some of the pear. Nice settup.

Posted By: don k

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 12:07 PM

Good water setup you made. Pear is looking sick and up here some of the cedar is dying from the drought.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 01:58 PM

How does it work? I don't see a float or anything.

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 02:35 PM

Guessing he fills the tub manually. confused

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 04:40 PM

No I put a float the next day just didnot get pic of it . Needing rain real bad and it's not looking like were going to get any for awhile

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 04:48 PM

You might want to add some cinder block or a piece of cattle panel to that trough so when a critter falls in it can get out as that old tub is slick and if they can't get out it will stink that water and could kill an animal that drinks from it when it is contaminated.

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 05:04 PM

Hadn't thought about that ! I will do that .

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 05:05 PM

up I know since I have had to clean out a trough or two from that very thing happening.

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 05:32 PM

On the brite side I will be Abel to clean out my pond now that it's dry ! It's got 20 yrs of silt built up , the ranch owner tells me it used to be almost 20 ft deep but it only holds about 8-10 ft now when full !

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 05:35 PM

Might be cheaper to build a new pond with that much silt in it..can get equipment buried in that much silt. I have seen guys go in and dig a pit just beside the old one and raise the dam and leave to old pit in place.

Re: had to add water - 05/31/11 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Might be cheaper to build a new pond with that much silt in it..can get equipment buried in that much silt. I have seen guys go in and dig a pit just beside the old one and raise the dam and leave to old pit in place.
Like this?

Re: had to add water - 06/01/11 12:27 AM

Nope don't want no part of that ! I will be using a 225 cat with a 4 ft bucket ! Our tank is only about 1/4 acer when full ,

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: had to add water - 06/01/11 12:27 PM

I have seen those get stuck as well.lol Don looks like ya need a bigger Dozer.

Might want to add some tin to that tank and make a guzzler for when it does rain.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: had to add water - 06/01/11 02:25 PM

whereabouts is your place at? its dry all over

Re: had to add water - 06/01/11 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: highlonesome1

Might want to add some tin to that tank and make a guzzler for when it does rain.

Only bad thing about using a bigger dozer is you are stuck that much worse and then it takes a really big one to get you out. That clay/silt in the bottom of tanks is nasty stuff. Just ask a cow that has been stuck in it after you get her out.

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: had to add water - 06/01/11 02:44 PM

Only bad thing about using a bigger dozer is you are stuck that much worse and then it takes a really big one to get you out. That clay/silt in the bottom of tanks is nasty stuff. Just ask a cow that has been stuck in it after you get her out.

X2

Re: had to add water - 06/02/11 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
whereabouts is your place at? its dry all over

our place is east of cotulla near los angeles .
the good thing with using the 225 is I wont have to get off in the middle of the tank . I can reach most of it from the sides !
I have unstuck a dozer by chaining telaphone post across the trax kinda like a big cleat , very messy and slow but it works yingyang

Re: had to add water - 06/02/11 11:21 AM

How are the rattlesnakes this year around LA? I remember about 7-8 yrs ago now in the spring that there were so many crawling across HWY 97 you could catch 8-10/evening in a short stretch of HWY past Ruby's. Chris at ACE in Cotulla caught over 200 one month that year.

Re: had to add water - 06/02/11 12:01 PM

they are thick like fleas !! kilt two this past weekend , we do most of our lease work at night when its not so dang hot . they seem to gravatate to my cabin lol .

Re: had to add water - 06/02/11 01:15 PM

My buddy buried a 330over the tracks once. Had to get a D8 to get him out.lol Cleaned out some ponds in San Angelo with a track hoe and dozer, hauled about 1000 loads with dump trucks. City used the muck for landscaping after it dried out. Got a D6R that does a great job on most stuff.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: had to add water - 06/03/11 04:45 PM

Our tank isnt dry yet, but it is working on it. We put water stations at all the feeders, and it seems to have picked up the activity.

matt

Re: had to add water - 06/03/11 05:25 PM

I do, thats how I got it out of the mud. Good thing I didn't stick the big one or it might still be there.

Re: had to add water - 06/04/11 02:12 PM

Always good to have a spare.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: had to add water - 06/04/11 04:27 PM

Need a trachoe

Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: had to add water - 06/04/11 04:33 PM

That's dedication....hope your rewarded with a great buck!

Re: had to add water - 06/05/11 03:55 AM

I hope so to! headed out in a few hours to set up another one on the other side of ranch and fill protein feeders .

Re: had to add water - 06/06/11 11:47 AM

here is a pic of the finished water station and my poor old dryed up tank . it dident take this guy long to find a cool spot to rest

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

Re: had to add water - 06/06/11 05:20 PM

Yep looks like South Texas in August..wait it is only first of June hammer. It was like this in 2003 till mid June after a dry 3 yr period and very hot May that year and it went to raining in mid June and really turned green for a couple of years.

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: had to add water - 06/07/11 11:06 PM

That clay/silt in the bottom of tanks is nasty stuff. Just ask a cow that has been stuck in it after you get her out.

.....and some don't get out. frown

Posted By: webe

Re: had to add water - 06/08/11 12:08 AM

Need rain

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: had to add water - 06/08/11 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: webe
Need rain

Posted By: aeb

Re: had to add water - 06/08/11 02:40 AM

You might want to add some cinder block or a piece of cattle panel to that trough so when a critter falls in it can get out as that old tub is slick and if they can't get out it will stink that water and could kill an animal that drinks from it when it is contaminated.

Ain't much fun fishing a week old possum out of a water trough in 100 degree heat. Then you have to figure out a way to dump the water and clean out the tank. Makes for an Industrial Strength Right Guard day. Hard on the appitite too.

Re: had to add water - 06/08/11 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: aeb

Ain't much fun fishing a week old possum out of a water trough in 100 degree heat. Then you have to figure out a way to dump the water and clean out the tank. Makes for an Industrial Strength Right Guard day. Hard on the appitite too.

Been there with a dead fawn last year in a trough. Clorox works wonders on it if you can hold your dinner down long enough to pull the plug on the trough. Even worse when the buzzards have joined in at the buffet.

Posted By: aeb

Re: had to add water - 06/08/11 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: deerslayer64d
On the brite side I will be Abel to clean out my pond now that it's dry ! It's got 20 yrs of silt built up , the ranch owner tells me it used to be almost 20 ft deep but it only holds about 8-10 ft now when full !

If you can get to the tank before it dries, a dragline works pretty good.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum